Confusing

Started by dbuske, Wed 20/06/2012 16:02:52

Previous topic - Next topic

dbuske

There is many ideas thrown around and it is hard to tell what is happening with AGS.
What is happening with the official version.
What is being planned?
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Crimson Wizard

I know this feeling. :)
Geez, it was back in April when I returned back to the forums after nearly year of absence and tried to figure out what's going on.

Quote from: dbuskeThere is many ideas thrown around and it is hard to tell what is happening with AGS.
Quote from: dbuskeWhat is being planned?
Ideas are thrown in a large quantities, but over the time one should learn to simply ignore this fact. Sic! People keep getting new ideas infinitely, good and bad ones, and, unfortunately, love to tell them out loud. :P
They actually begin to matter only when a) actual work is being done and/or b) there's team and team coordinator(s).
In other words, do not try to understand or remember all those ideas posted around, but pay attention only to those that are actually being implemented, or, at least, if an actual implementor is defined who plans to start the work on feature in nearest future.
In other words, there's message, like: I (We) are going to make this (right away): ....
Otherwise, ignore it.

Now, what happening to AGS, you ask? Well, one thing is certain - it is being used to make games.

Quote from: dbuskeWhat is happening with the official version.
Good question! I would like to know the answer too. But with absence of "official" explanation we should, perhaps, simply take as fact that the official version does surely exist.

You may think that I am kidding and having fun on you, but I don't (that's it - I am totally serious) :).

Other than that, here's what I know.
Official version did not have any changes for quite some time.
There are a lot of plans, as I said, but, as I said, you should mostly ignore them. I am serious. Unless being used as a reference for a real work, plan is nothing. Which is a pity, but still.
JSS and Tobihan are making a cross-platform version of AGS, that may be built and run on various platforms, other than Windows (Linux, MacOS, etc).
Some people are working separately to improve Editor as they see fit.
I know that Alan v. Drake made a version of engine that supports some advanced graphic filters (thus improving the graphics quality when game is playing in upscale screen resolution).
I, personally, am working on improving the AGS engine code to, hopefuly, make life of developers easier in the future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk