Lydia and the Mystery of Nellreno Manor--Need artists and musicians

Started by DBoyWheeler, Tue 26/06/2012 20:23:34

Previous topic - Next topic

DBoyWheeler

Hi, all!

I'm wanting to gather a team together to make my first AGS Game.

The game is called "Lydia and the Mystery of Nellreno Manor".  It's in some ways a fan game--it's a game based on one of my friends on Gaia Online, whose screenname is LydiaW.  I call it a gift game ("gift games", IMHO, can be considered a sub-genre of "fan games"), since that is my intent--it's a gift for a friend.

The game starts out with Lydia at a cabin camp with her friends (named Denise and Kiki), and she learns that the long abandoned Nellreno Mansion has some new occupants, but there's more to this than it at first seems, and it makes Lydia suspicious.

Using Tektek, as well as LydiaW's Gaia Profile, I have some references for the characters in the game.  I also made up some abstract maps of the game.

Here are the materials I am providing.

First, the resources for the main sprites (for standing, walking, and talking--I'll list to the spriters the special sprites needed as well, as the need arises for them)

Lydia (the main character):
For the record, you can find her Gaia profile here (I'm sure she won't mind if I share it): http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/lydiaw/1036351/?_gaia_t_=718
Main sprite reference.
What's under her dress... mainly intended to show her legs for the walk button, and when she's kneeling.
Rough sketch of her front sprite.
Rough sketch of her back sprite.
Rough sketch of her sprite facing left.
Rough sketch of her sprite facing right.
The left and right sprites are different because of her tote bag and whatnot.  At the time, I forgot that unless it's really close up, fingers wouldn't be visible in an adventure game--how silly of me.

Progress of Lydia's sprites.
(Rough draft of Lydia's front view.  Made a few changes, but it is still a little rough around the edges)

Denise, one of Lydia's friends:
Main sprite reference.
Rough sketch of her front view.
Rough sketch of her back view.
Rough sketch of her side view (just mirror to get the other side).

Kiki, another of Lydia's friends:
Main sprite reference.
Rough sketch of her front view.
Rough sketch of her back view.
Rough sketch of her side view (just mirror to get the other side)

There's a wild bear that Lydia encounters... here's a stock photo of one for reference: http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/215077/215077,1249790356,1/stock-photo-grizzly-bear-34956754.jpg
Again, I'll list the sprites needed as the need arises for them, once I get some sprite artist(s).

Pietro, the main antagonist:
Main Sprite Reference
Rough sketch of his front view
Rough sketch of his back view
Rough sketch of his side view (just mirror for other side)

One of Pietro's Henchmen:
Main sprite reference
Rough sketch of his side view (just mirror for the other side)

Another of Pietro's Henchmen:
Main sprite reference
Rough sketch of his side view (just mirror for the other side)

Now to show a rough draft of the main GUI (the Walk Button, Hand/Do Button, Talk Button, etc)

Top row, left to right: Walk (Lydia's leg, see the sprite of Lydia without her dress to see what her leg looks like); Look (Lydia's eye); Do (Lydia's Hand--she's wearing a fingerless glove and a bracelet).
Bottom row, left to right: Talk (Lydia's open mouth, with a cute smile too), Inventory (her tote bag), and System (a computer).
You may notice I don't have separate Load and Save buttons--those will be used in the system.

Main Cursors (that is, not including the Inventory)

Walk Cursor: A woman walking
Look Cursor: Woman's eye
Hand Cursor: Pointing hand (probably could use the ready-made one in AGS)
Talk Cursor: Balloon (we could probably use the ready-made one in AGS)
Wait Cursor: Stopwatch

The icons (except for the Wait one) have dots on them.  I got the idea from the Space Quest 2 VGA remake, so that programmers could know where to put the crosshairs to where to have the player click.

For the System GUI (where one can find the Volume bar and the Save, Load, and all those buttons), I was thinking of making that GUI look almost like a cellphone.  The buttons on the GUI:
* Save
* Load
* Restart
* Quit
* About

The Save and Load GUI's would look like an iPad or Cellphone, with Buttons "Save" (or "Load", depending on the GUI), "Delete" (to erase a game), and "Cancel".
[Update] Alaskaban provided a Save/Load GUI template... I might come up with some ideas for buttons once more join the team.

The Restart GUI has a graphic Lydia holding a giant pencil with an eraser, and the caption: "Wanna start fresh?"
The Yes Button says: "Yeah, I need to start over!"
The No Button says: "Naw, I can still make it!"

The Quit GUI has a graphic of Lydia getting on a bus, with the caption: "Done with questing for the day?"
The Yes Button: "Yeah, I'm tired.  Enough for today."
The No Button: "No way!  I want to keep going!"

The About Button on the System GUI would list the ones who made this game, and that the game was intended to be a gift for someone on Gaia Online.

For the death messages, the graphic is Lydia as an angel, the losing music (either the goofy "you blew it" music from Dagger of Amon Ra, or maybe even the losing trombones music of the Price is Right).  The text will be provided as needed for each way to die.  And there are the usual "Load Saved Game", "Restart", and "Quit" buttons.

Rough sketches for the Inventory Items (again, the dots on the items are intended for the programmers to where to place the crosshairs for the cursors)

Top row, left to right: Pocketknife, Rope, Flashlight, Hot Sauce.
Bottom row, left to right: Hatchet, Mansion Key (Gold Key), Gate Key (Silver Key), Crypt Key (Gray Key with Skull).

Top row, left to right: Marble Cake Recipe Card, Marble Cupcakes (for "Treated Marble Cupcakes", recolor the sprite), Whiskey, Dissolving Agent Formula.
Bottom row, left to right: Makeup Compact, Plumbing Cleaner, Marbles (it's a bag of marbles), Chemistry Set

Left to right: Empty Vial, Ready Vial, Dissolving Agent, Knockout Drops

Maps and Rough Sketches of Rooms.  The rough sketches also have notes of what to place where, or what door, etc, leads to which room.
Map of Camp Mingo-Sun
Lydia's Room Rough Sketch
Outside Cabins Rough Sketch
Denise's Room Rough Sketch
Kiki's Room Rough Sketch
Mess Hall Rough Sketch
Campfire Circle Rough Sketch
Edge of Camp Rough Sketch

Map of Forest
Rough Sketch of "Trail A"
Rough Sketch of "Trail B"
Rough Sketch of "Trail C"
Rough Sketch of the Elm Stump room
Rough Sketch of the Thorny Thicket room
Rough Sketch of "Trail D"
Rough Sketch of "Outside Hole"
Rough Sketch of Hole Bottom
Rough Sketch of "Trail E"

Map of Mountain
Rough Sketch of "Bottom of Mountain"
Rough Sketch of Lower Trail
Rough Sketch of "Ravine (1)"
Rough Sketch of Ravine Bridge, South
Rough Sketch of Ravine Bridge, North
Rough Sketch of "Ravine (2)"
Rough Sketch of Higher Trail
Rough Sketch of Plateau

Map of Outside Mansion
Rough sketch of Mansion Grounds
Rough sketch of the Front Doors
Rough sketch of the Left Side
Rough sketch of "Right Side 1"
Rough sketch of "Right Side 2"
Rough sketch of Garden
Rough sketch of Outside Crypt
Rough sketch of Inside Crypt

Map of Mansion, 1st Floor
Rough Sketch of Main Hall
Rough Sketch of Stairway to Basement
Rough Sketch of Grand Hall
Rough Sketch of the Dining Room
Rough Sketch of the Kitchen
Rough Sketch of Den
Rough Sketch of Stairs to 2nd Floor

Map of Mansion, 2nd Floor
Rough Sketch of the Stairway to the 1st Floor (from 2nd Floor)
Rough Sketch of Hall 1A
Rough Sketch of Hall 1B
Rough Sketch of Guest Bedroom
Rough Sketch of Hall 1C
Rough Sketch of Bathroom 1
Rough Sketch of Master Bedroom
Rough Sketch of Master Bathroom
Rough Sketch of Corridor
Rough Sketch of Hall 2A
Rough Sketch of Hall 2B
Rough Sketch of Child's Bedroom
Rough Sketch of Hall 2C
Rough Sketch of Bathroom 2
Rough Sketch of Observatory

Map of the Mansion Basement, and Cavern
Rough Sketch of Stairway to 1st Floor (from Basement)
Rough Sketch of Basement
Rough Sketch of Cavern Steps Top
Rough Sketch of Cavern Steps Middle
Rough Sketch of Cavern Steps Bottom
Rough Sketch of the Cavern
Rough Sketch of Treasury
Rough Sketch of Bandit's Lair

What I need are the following:
* Character sprite artist(s)  Something in the style of a cute 1980's cartoon. [I think I'm doing these]
* Inventory item artist(s) [I'll probably be doing these]
* Background artist(s).  Again, something in the style of a cute 1980's cartoon [Again, I'll probably be doing these]
* Scripter(s).  I still am a bit wet behind the ears when it comes to scripting, myself. [Current Scripter(s): Jakey, Adeel S. Ahmed, Sslaxx]
* Sound FXs and Music.  The music is a sort of mid 1980's style light rock. [Pending: QuaroMusic]
--maxfaxgames made an opening theme.  But it couldn't hurt to have others contribute to the music and sound.
* GUI designers. [Alaskaban has provided a Save/Load GUI template.  Anyone else want to contribute to the GUIs?]

Most likely I'll be stuck with the art, but I'll try my best... and if anyone wants to contribute, let me know.

(If there's anything I missed, let me know in a reply.)

For the layout, there'd be Sierra style buttons and MI style text.  Kind of the "default" setting of AGS.

If there are anyone willing to do this project, let me know and I'll give the information needed.

Jakey

DBoyWheeler

Okay, I got you as a scripter (it'd be great if we can get more than one, but even with one, we can still do this if we try).  We just need to get some more on the team.  I like how this is starting out.  :)

Adeel

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Tue 26/06/2012 21:11:29
Okay, I got you as a scripter (it'd be great if we can get more than one, but even with one, we can still do this if we try).  We just need to get some more on the team.  I like how this is starting out.  :)

You wished and you got it. ;) Count me in as a scriptwriter. Yes, I am not one of the coding geniuses. But I can do enough to get your work done.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 12/06/2013 18:16:22
Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Tue 26/06/2012 21:11:29

You wished and you got it. ;) Count me in as a scriptwriter. Yes, I am not one of the coding geniuses. But I can do enough to get your work done.

Cool!  We just need to get some character and background artists, as well as some other people.

Sslaxx

Anything else you're still in need of? I'm no artist, unfortunately, but I'd like to learn more about AGS script too.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 29/06/2013 11:59:59
Anything else you're still in need of? I'm no artist, unfortunately, but I'd like to learn more about AGS script too.
Cool!  Maybe you, Jakey, and Adeel could cover each others' bases in a way.

*sigh* Now we still need a spriter for characters, a BG designer, and maybe a few more musicians.

Alaskaban

I'm quite busy at the moment. I have a couple games I'm working on right now. However, I might be able to help with something small like the gui or icon art.

DBoyWheeler

Sure.  I'd like to see what you'd do with the GUI.

Also, I think someone on FurAffinity is offering to help out as well.  I'll wait and see what he has to offer.

kaput

If you could give an example, what kind of art style would you say you are aiming for?

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Thu 01/08/2013 03:28:43
If you could give an example, what kind of art style would you say you are aiming for?

I mentioned in the first post of this thread that I'm looking for something in the style of a 1980's Saturday morning kid's cartoon... like, say, The Raccoons.

Or maybe the Ewoks.

kaput

QuoteI mentioned in the first post of this thread that I'm looking for something in the style of a 1980's Saturday morning kid's cartoon...

Yep, I saw that. I considered it a bit vague so thought I'd ask. No problem.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Thu 01/08/2013 23:16:49
Yep, I saw that. I considered it a bit vague so thought I'd ask. No problem.
What can I say?  The 1980's was kind of the golden age of Saturday morning cartoons, huh?

Alaskaban

May I ask, What resolution is the game, because I might have to change the gui I made a while back.

DBoyWheeler

I think it's gonna be 32 bit or whatever true color is.

I plan to have the game be in a 640x480 window, as well.

QuaroMusic

I can provide some music if needed. PM me, and I will show you :)

DBoyWheeler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk