Gathering feature suggestions for the Engine

Started by Crimson Wizard, Tue 03/07/2012 11:17:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Construed

My most urgent need would be the capability to create objects at runtime, However I'm afraid if i upgraded ags all my code would be broken, so perhaps an included plugin?
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Knox

Would it be possible to be use room objects "project-wide" in scripts by their real names set in the room? (right now it seems we can only use their real names in the room script). Same thing with hotspots (can't get the real names outside of the room script).

**NOTE: Im not talking about having access to the object's description "name" (.Name) but the actual object's real name in the room, like oCup, for example.
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Knox on Wed 20/11/2013 21:32:23
Would it be possible to be use room objects "project-wide" in scripts by their real names set in the room? (right now it seems we can only use their real names in the room script). Same thing with hotspots (can't get the real names outside of the room script).

**NOTE: Im not talking about having access to the object's description "name" (.Name) but the actual object's real name in the room, like oCup, for example.

Not before the room system is revamped. Right now only one room is kept in memory at a time. Therefore engine has no idea about what's in other rooms, nor is able to read/change anything there.

frenzykitty

I second the call for higher resolution! My only real issue with AGS :)

frenzykitty

Makes me a little nervous using a custom build... ??? Has anyone had any major issues with it?

Knox

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 21/11/2013 07:32:57
Not before the room system is revamped. Right now only one room is kept in memory at a time. Therefore engine has no idea about what's in other rooms, nor is able to read/change anything there.

Ok, thanks for the info on that Crimson.

On another subject, is it possible in future versions to be able to set the cachemax size directly in the Game Settings panel? (as apposed to manually modifying the acsetup.cfg file)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Knox on Wed 27/11/2013 15:09:05
On another subject, is it possible in future versions to be able to set the cachemax size directly in the Game Settings panel? (as apposed to manually modifying the acsetup.cfg file)
You don't have to manually change it, you can do that on winsetup window too (after you press "Advanced >>>" button).
But I suppose this will be not hard to add such kind of option to game settings too.

Knox

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 27/11/2013 15:12:54
But I suppose this will be not hard to add such kind of option to game settings too.

Awesome! :)

MUFFINinc

I apologize in advance if someone has already mentioned this, but I think a String.Prepend function would be helpful.  At present the only way I can figure out how to insert new text before the text of an existing string is to create a new string with the text you want, append the old string, and then replace the text of the old string with the text of the new string.

monkey0506

You could do it all in one shot with:

Code: ags
String Prepend(this String*, String newbit)
{
  if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(newbit)) return this;
  return String.Format("%s%s", newbit, this);
}

Usage:

String text = "World!";
text = text.Prepend("Hello ");
Display(text); // shows "Hello World!"

MUFFINinc

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Mon 07/07/2014 13:38:07
You could do it all in one shot with:

String Prepend(this String*, String newbit)
{
  if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(newbit)) return this;
  return String.Format("%s%s", newbit, this);
}

Usage:

String text = "World!";
text = text.Prepend("Hello ");
Display(text); // shows "Hello World!"

Damn, writing code is like a martial art or something.  Every time I start feeling like I'm good enough at it to start calling myself a hotshot, someone comes along and shows me some new way to do something that is utterly mind blowing in its simplicity. ;-D

Thanks!

selmiak

Is there any chance and/or possiblity to implement x264 support for HD Video? it's as open source as ogg vorbis.

m0ds

Sorry not sure where else to post this but: Minimize whilst building EXE or rebuilding all files

Sometimes sitting here for 15 minutes not able to use my desktop because AGS won't minimize during these processes is.... annoying (laugh)

(If it already exists and needs to be toggled on or I'm missing a key sequence for it let me know, but with 3.3.0 I can't seem to minimize)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mods on Mon 29/09/2014 17:27:23
Sorry not sure where else to post this
We have am issue tracker: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=projects :)

Some people had problems accessing it (not enough rights), so please report if anything is wrong.

arj0n

Editor:

1.:
The Global Variables view now has 3 colums: Name, Type & Initial Value.
It would be nice to have an extra column 'Usages' so you can see right-away what var(s) aren't used (anymore).

2.:
The Global Variables view now only uses max half the width of the whole pane size. It would be nice if it would use all the space there is or at least twice the width it now does.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Is it possible to make the built in scrolling adjustable ie: Viewport.offset(cChar.x, cChar.y - 100);
playing with SetViewport in repeat_execute turns out really award with blocking walk scripts etc.
Let me know if I'm being a noob....

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 28/11/2014 05:56:55
Is it possible to make the built in scrolling adjustable ie: Viewport.offset(cChar.x, cChar.y - 100);
playing with SetViewport in repeat_execute turns out really award with blocking walk scripts etc.
Use repeatedly_execute_always, that runs even during blocking scripts?

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 28/11/2014 08:33:34
Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 28/11/2014 05:56:55
Use repeatedly_execute_always, that runs even during blocking scripts?
Yah, that kind of works, but there is terrible shuttering that otherwise (without the adjustment to built in scrolling) is not there.

Scavenger

Hey, would it be easy/possible to uncouple Character.LightLevel from regions? I like using LightLevel for a few effects and it's difficult to juggle moving the sprite and making sure it's on the correct region for the lighting I want on them. If it could be done manually, like Character.Scaling can be done now, it would make my job a lot easier.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk