the metal thread \m/

Started by Mouth for war, Sat 07/07/2012 21:09:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Do we have any metalheads here besides me and well.......maybe Chicky and Peder? ;) Metal is my top choice for music and if you think different leave now!!!! :D I hope this can be a place where we just can tip each other of great bands/songs and I'll begin by directing you to a band that kicks ass so hard even your unborn grandchildren will feel it!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTvAOXDm8K8
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

EchosofNezhyt

I'm a 80 to now rock kinda guy. I listen to alot of metallica and pearl jam when I'm drawing.

Mouth for war

Metallica died with the black album IMO but many people found Metallica with that album too...and among the big four...I think Megadeth and Metallica sucks the most hehe
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

EchosofNezhyt

I'm not into music enough to think about it that much, Its weird since I like to play it but I just listen to whatever is relaxing though I don't really deviate from guitar related stuff.
Big thing for me is I listen to it while I'm drawing most of the time so Heavy stuff makes me wanna throw my tablet through my screen and start flipping tables :P so its not that great for relaxing while drawing for me at least.

Ponch

Quote from: Mouth for war on Sat 07/07/2012 21:09:48
Do we have any metalheads here besides me and well.......maybe Chicky and Peder? ;)

You mean bands like Air Supply and REO Speedwagon? Oh yeah, man. I'm in the club too. I love a band that puts a little electric guitar in their songs (just so long as it's not too loud or distorted).  :cool: :wink:

Seriously though, you're right about Metallica. A couple of my friends love later Metallica but hate the older stuff like Master of Puppets.  (roll)  Justice For All was the last Metallica album I ever bought. After my friends in high school suddenly discovered them and started asking me if I had seen the "Johnny Got His Gun" video on MTV, a fuse blew in my brain and I was sort of done with Metallica. The same thing happened when Judas Priest covered Johnny B. Goode. Turbo with its guitar synthesizers was bad enough, but now I was suddenly aware that a bunch of middle aged guys were singing on MTV about how they didn't need no parental guidance.  (wrong)  Sigh.

British Steel still rocks though.

Perkele2012

at the gates, the haunted, children of bodom ,korpiklani ,finntroll and raised fist!

pretty much all music works for me nowdays.

still listening to youth of today,gorilla bisquits and bold but that´s not really metal now is it?!

and metallica died with CB...  :sad:

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 07/07/2012 22:37:17
Quote from: Mouth for war on Sat 07/07/2012 21:09:48
Do we have any metalheads here besides me and well.......maybe Chicky and Peder? ;)
Metallica.

I like most there stuff. Though I will say death magnetic wasn't very good.

Sane Co.

What about symphonic metal? Such as Nightwish and Within Temptation

ThreeOhFour

What!? No mention of Painkiller!? 8-0  :sad:

Frodo

Quote from: Sane Co. on Sun 08/07/2012 00:04:38
What about symphonic metal? Such as Nightwish and Within Temptation

DEFINATELY with you there!  And have to add Epica and Evanescence.   :grin:

Also, what about the likes of Nick Cave, and Tarot?   :wink:

EchosofNezhyt

I feel lame, I don't know who any of these bands are.

Well besides Evanescence(Cool piano) and REO Speedwagon cause I saw a late night infomercial.

Babog

Oh, man! I can't believe that after all this time, I finally feel overwhelmingly compelled to speak, and THIS of all things is going to be my first post! Here we go:
Finntroll! Moonsorrow! Behemoth! Keep of Kalessin! Etc.!
It was just the other day that a friend and I were talking about the fact that you can tell a true metal fan by how quickly they begin to spout off their "List."  :grin:

Ponch

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sun 08/07/2012 02:28:25

What!? No mention of Painkiller!? 8-0  :sad:

Every JP album is worth your time. Of course, even the best Priest album is no match for the relentless, crunchy heaviness of REO Speedwagon, but Priest is still a fine band.  :wink:

ThreeOhFour

Oh boy, this brings back memories of when "Helm" competed on AGS Idol on the AGS show and did a hardcore cover of REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Loving You".

A simple time... (when I wasn't even a forum member).

Ponch

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sun 08/07/2012 05:25:45
Oh boy, this brings back memories of when "Helm" competed on AGS Idol on the AGS show and did a hardcore cover of REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Loving You".

A simple time... (when I wasn't even a forum member).

Such things were only possible back in the days of EZBoard. Man, I miss those wild party days. Just thinking about it makes me all misty for the days when Snake was promising Legend of Leitor's Edge and we were all young and foolish enough to believe him.  :wink: (I kid, Snakie poo. I keed!)

Peder 🚀

Metal? YUCK! I prefer K-Pop! bye.

Anian

**RANT MODE ACTIVATED**
There was a joke in the other thread about "how you can spot a vegan" with the punchline "They'll let you know". That's about the same thing as with metal fans. So many stereotypes, so many of them think they're special and so many fans that wear their bloody t-shirts and have long hair and wore down clothes...and every one of them think that's cool. And let's not forget they all try to play an electric guitar.

What I found was that most metal bands consist of bright people usually pretty calm in nature that come on to stage and yell into a microphone and apparently there's many skilled in guitar playing, but when they play you you don't really get what's being played just shredding racket. Lyrics are either some depressing emo crap or some fantasy world dribble, which their fans think is the greatest thing EVAR.
And let us not forget of a romantic/sad/love story being as a melodic calm intro that burst into pure unrecognisable yelling  then back to melodic then back to yelling - and it should be profound and interesting and show that they're creative.
**RANT MODE OVER**

Personally 99.99% of it is just overly hyped and just plain stressful to me and I take no enjoyment out of listening to it, basically I have "an old man" opinion of it being just annoying noise reaction to it. It's definitely not the worst of what music and offer, as it takes some skill but it's close.
I mostly like the old metal album covers and art though.  :smiley:
I don't want the world, I just want your half

ThreeOhFour

To be fair, discussions about a metal band you like usually ends in the same way no matter who you're talking to  :cheesy:

If you tell it to someone who is not a fan of the genre they say "Ugh, metal, I hate that". If you tell it to someone who is a fan of metal bands they'll often say "Ugh, that's First-Wave-Scandanavian-Doom-Grind, I only like Post-Neo-Thrashcore! I hate that!"

Except Xenogia. Xenogia is cool  :=

(this is totally an exaggeration, but I have found this oh so often in discussion about the topic :D )

Babog

From my experience in the metal community around here it's considered bad form to be a narrow-focused metal purist. People are more likely to brag about their eclectic taste, and wide range of favorite metal styles. A typical conversation between two metalheads meeting for the first time is often awkward and cute as they both list off favorite bands, just HOPING for some overlap in their taste! It can get really uncomfortable if it goes on too long. :embarrassed: When they finally find some common ground, they totally light up and now they can geek out on the one band they both like! :grin:

Even if I haven't been able to appreciate a band's albums, I sometimes change my mind if I see them live. Some bands you just can't "get" until then. Anyone seen a good live show lately?

EchosofNezhyt

I've never been to a concert, Not my kind of thing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk