Kathy Rain

Started by JSH, Tue 17/07/2012 23:51:32

Previous topic - Next topic

JSH

Quote from: yashination on Sun 02/02/2014 01:21:59
The sprites and backgrounds are super lovely.

Quote from: shaun9991 on Tue 15/10/2013 20:39:02
this looks absolute quality, best of luck

Quote from: J.H on Wed 22/01/2014 00:02:50
The background artist is a true pro.

Thanks guys, glad to hear you like it! :)

I'll seize the moment to give a quick update. The development is steadily progressing, the first chapter of the game is very polished now and subsequent chapters are slowly starting to take shape. However, a 2014 release is beginning to look slightly optimistic. We're still doing our best to hit the target, but to avoid disappointment I'd rather be upfront with the fact that we may be facing a 2015 release.

Also worth noting is that I am in contact with a few different distribution partners, so hopefully the publishing part will resolve itself soon!

Janos Biro

Please tell me when this game goes to Steam Greenlight, I'll definitely vote for it. Wont you put it on Kickstarter too?
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

JSH

Quote from: janosbiro on Fri 07/02/2014 12:02:40
Please tell me when this game goes to Steam Greenlight, I'll definitely for it. Wont you put it on Kickstarter too?

Will do! Crowdfunding is definitely something being considered, but most likely wouldn't be Kickstarter specifically since it's restricted to US citizens. A european alternative such as IndieGogo is more likely.

However, successful crowdfunding is a big undertaking since one pretty much has to create a marketing campaign to properly support it. We'll need more or less final gameplay footage, recorded voice acting, preferably a nice trailer etc, which requires some of the more exciting areas of the game to be complete to create enough trailer moments. Maybe I'm a bit overambitious, but it's definitely way too overwhelming to pull off at this point. Eventually though, absolutely! :)

Ali

I don't think I've posted to say how fantastic this looks!

But since crowdfunding has been mentioned I just want to say this: If you can find a way to use Kickstarter - use Kickstarter! It has a much bigger community than Indiegogo, and with a good looking game like this you'll get huge support from complete strangers. It's open to UK bank accounts as well as US.

Andail

Looking great as always, Joel! However, I'm personally a bit bummed about a 2015 release... that means our highly secret joint super project X will have to wait a bit longer!

JSH

Quote from: Ali on Fri 07/02/2014 14:29:20
I don't think I've posted to say how fantastic this looks!

But since crowdfunding has been mentioned I just want to say this: If you can find a way to use Kickstarter - use Kickstarter! It has a much bigger community than Indiegogo, and with a good looking game like this you'll get huge support from complete strangers. It's open to UK bank accounts as well as US.

Thanks Ali! Yeah, I definitely will use Kickstarter if I can, but it may be a bit of a struggle with me being located in Sweden. I'll be sure to research possible workarounds for the financial restrictions, hopefully there is some way of solving the problems.

Quote from: Andail on Mon 10/02/2014 18:43:09
Looking great as always, Joel! However, I'm personally a bit bummed about a 2015 release... that means our highly secret joint super project X will have to wait a bit longer!

Thanks man! Sorry about the delays everyone, but I'd prefer Kathy Rain to come a bit late and live up to it's full potential rather than rush it out on pure principle. (btw, huge grats on your own release!) About the last part: Hush, hush! ;)

And yeah, update time! The development is going quite well, the first Day (chapter) of the game is pretty much done and won't be changed much except for VO, minor dialogue tweaks and a few lingering placeholder assets. Day two of the game has seen rapid progress and is now fully playable from beginning to end. I have thus moved on to Day three, which is in progress with some bare boned areas but lacking much in terms of puzzles.

Given the recent progress I have decided to bring in a bunch of more people for testing. If you are a dedicated, long term tester who want a chance to influence the development of Kathy Rain along with a place in the credits and a copy of the game, look no further! Just send me a pm with your email adress and you will be sent monthly newsletters with stable builds up until the release of the game.

*edit Got enough help now, thanks!

Giraffadon

Congratulations, it's beautiful. :smiley:

Buckethead

Are you sure you can't start in Kickstart in Sweden? There seems to be a lot of them already:

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?woe_id=23424954&sort=magic

I'm certain it has opened up in the Netherlands not long ago. So maybe Sweden aswell?

Anyway, great looking project. I hope you and your team are succesfull, one way or the other.

JSH

Quote from: Giraffadon on Mon 21/04/2014 19:01:35
Congratulations, it's beautiful. :smiley:

Thanks! :)

Quote from: Buckethead on Wed 23/04/2014 08:38:35
Are you sure you can't start in Kickstart in Sweden? There seems to be a lot of them already:

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/advanced?woe_id=23424954&sort=magic

I'm certain it has opened up in the Netherlands not long ago. So maybe Sweden aswell?

Anyway, great looking project. I hope you and your team are succesfull, one way or the other.

When I try to start up a project on the website it says: "Project creation is currently open to creators in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Netherlands". So I'm guessing I'd have to get help from some kind of third party to make it happen, that's probably how those other swedish projects did it. Anyways, thanks for the kind words!

an Urpney

Here's a nice (and successful) Swedish project on Indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fran-bow-a-very-creepy-point-click-adventure-game#home
Might be worth a try. Sure can count on my pledge :)
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

JSH

Quote from: an Urpney on Mon 28/04/2014 10:17:42
Here's a nice (and successful) Swedish project on Indiegogo:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fran-bow-a-very-creepy-point-click-adventure-game#home
Might be worth a try. Sure can count on my pledge :)

Yeah, maybe I shouldn't overlook european alternatives. I still have quite painful memories of this though :(: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-samaritan-paradox#home

Damian

This game looks soooooo good….

JSH

Alright, time for an update!

The development of the game has been progressing slowly but steadily, with the majority of the game being playable now. Still can't call it an alpha, but it shouldn't be too many months away. I have some excellent testers on board now, but I need a few more still so if you feel so inclined, do let me know via pm.

Since I've been wrong before, I will not try to estimate a release date again until I am absolutely positive about the matter. When the game has reached alpha and I have a signed distribution deal with a publisher I should be able to provide a clearer answer.

On a related note, previous publisher contacts haven't really panned out, but an indie publisher startup has expressed interest in Kathy Rain. Stay tuned for news concerning that this coming spring, when they are up and running at full capacity.

ManicMatt

Glad I wasn't around in 2012 to see this announced - I don't have to wait as long as everyone else haha!

I expect no less from ProgZmax, looks amazing! I can't really say much more than that based on screenshots, naturally, but I hope this game is a success!

Calypso

Keeping my fingers crossed for the publishing deal, Joel! This game is very promising and you (and your talented team) have done a lot of great work on it. Unfortunately, original deadlines are hardly ever made. :) Wish you a lot of luck with everything - keep going!
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

Stupot

I'm tempted to offer my services as a tester, but I'm looking forward to this game so much I think I'd rather wait and play the finished article. Keep up the good work :-)

Fitz

Sweet! Keeping my fingers crossed for a 2015 release. Would be a really nice addition to an already very strong line-up of AGS games scheduled for this year.

JSH

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sun 18/01/2015 21:48:36
Glad I wasn't around in 2012 to see this announced - I don't have to wait as long as everyone else haha!

I expect no less from ProgZmax, looks amazing! I can't really say much more than that based on screenshots, naturally, but I hope this game is a success!

I wish I wasn't either, lol, that original post date does sting a bit. Thanks, and I agree, Shane has done a superb job!

Quote from: Calypso Starlight on Mon 19/01/2015 23:48:02
Keeping my fingers crossed for the publishing deal, Joel! This game is very promising and you (and your talented team) have done a lot of great work on it. Unfortunately, original deadlines are hardly ever made. :) Wish you a lot of luck with everything - keep going!

Thanks Katerina, you've been doing a fantastic job with the testing so far, happy to have you on the team :)

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 20/01/2015 12:13:43
I'm tempted to offer my services as a tester, but I'm looking forward to this game so much I think I'd rather wait and play the finished article. Keep up the good work :-)

That's fair mate, thanks for the kind words! :)

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 20/01/2015 19:49:24
Sweet! Keeping my fingers crossed for a 2015 release. Would be a really nice addition to an already very strong line-up of AGS games scheduled for this year.

Yeah, I should probably postpone until 2016 to have a chance at the AGS awards ;) Jokes aside, looks to be a great year indeed!

m0ds

Quote from: JSH on Sun 18/01/2015 21:11:02
previous publisher contacts haven't really panned out

Aw, ours didn't pan out? :(

Spoiler
I figured you've been busy and I've been busy and KR isn't near finished yet so "not panned out" was more like "simply not ready yet" ? At no point have I personally called it off or said "not interested", do keep that in mind! :=
[close]

I wonder if that indie publisher that isn't in full phase yet is Fireflowers new venture?

That said, even I think KR should be released by WEG... :-D

Anyway sorry that's a bit off topic. On topic I'll say that I am lucky to have been able to play some WIP and it seems a very cool game, great atmosphere, thanks for that JSH. To the point even I don't want to spoil it for myself until it's completed ;) So good luck whichever route you take. I am eager to play it in full form (and not play too much WIP to spoil that :P)

JSH

Quote from: Mods on Fri 23/01/2015 06:51:43
Quote from: JSH on Sun 18/01/2015 21:11:02
previous publisher contacts haven't really panned out *yet*
Aw, ours didn't pan out? :(

Sorry about that. "yet", such a small word yet crucial to get the meaning across ;)

Quote from: Mods on Fri 23/01/2015 06:51:43
Anyway sorry that's a bit off topic. On topic I'll say that I am lucky to have been able to play some WIP and it seems a very cool game, great atmosphere, thanks for that JSH. To the point even I don't want to spoil it for myself until it's completed ;) So good luck whichever route you take. I am eager to play it in full form (and not play too much WIP to spoil that :P)

Glad you liked it, I hope the finished game will be up to your expectations in the end! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk