Following is my idea on how the Editor interface could be improved accompanied by few mockup
I don't like writing long explanations, let's just say those suggestions are based on my own experience working with AGS Editor and also looking and reading on how others work with it (something I mentioned here for instance: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45623.msg624000#msg624000
Oh, and important note. That is not in my plans to work on this right away. To be honest I'd wish someone else did this
. I do not have much free time, I am not as proficient in C# as in C++, and there are people who know Editor source quite well already. That is - if they like the concept of course.
Let's look on new Project Explorer first:
It consists of three panels:
1. Project item type selection. Those are moved out from the project tree where were represented by root nodes, and now are represented by bitmap buttons.
The upper part has buttons that open new editor panes in the main workspace: General Settings, Colors, Sprites, Text Parser, Lip Sync, Global Variables.
The lower part has buttons that will change the project tree contents: GUI, Inventory items, Dialogs, Views, Characters, Mouse Cursors, Fonts, Audio, Scripts, Plugins, Rooms, Translations.
2. The Search/Filter. Input box is for entering a search line. Buttons have following meanings:
- clear input box;
- filter out on/off (when enabled the tree will hide all the non-matching elements);
- case (in)sensitivty on/off;
- match full name on/off;
- colour picker to mark out matching items.
3. The well known project tree. Now it shows only items of the type which is selected on head panel.
Let's move to the Room editor pane:
As you may notice I've changed the look of background-related buttons, they are:
- Change selected background;
- Import new background; there should not be such item in the combo-box now;
- Delete background;
- Export background.
The "Show this room's" combo-box is replaced with a set of bitmap buttons:
- Nothing (pure background);
- Walkable areas;
Finally a totally new Room Explorer pane. Since of 3.2.2 we have docking panels it will be easy to put it in the position you find appropriate.
As you should notice it's the same gui class as Project Explorer. The upper panel lets you select a content type. The buttons are the same as on Room editor pane with an exception for Edges (since they are not room elements on their own).
By selecting items in the tree you will open corresponding properties. There may be an option to either switch Room view to the element type when one is selected or not.
What do you think of this?