Barn Runner: The Mayor's New Dress

Started by Ponch, Mon 06/08/2012 10:48:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

I should really be working on the next chapter of The Forever Friday, but I made this instead! :=

"The Mayor's New Dress"
(Inspired by the fairy tale "The Emperor's New Clothes")

This story, my entry in the July 2012 MAGS event (theme: "Fairy Tale), is done in a "visual novel" approach, follows mayor Marguerite DuChamp as she deals with the fallout of a very sexy scandal that could end in her losing her seat in the mayor's office. If she's going to win over the hearts of the people who could vote to throw her out of power (and into prison), she's really going to have to wow them with a powerfully persuasive oration. But where on earth can she find a dress suitable for such an important speech? If you know the fairy tale, you know what happens next. (Or do you?)

I've never done a visual novel style game before, so this was quite a lot of fun -- and more work than I expected it to be. I hope you like it enough to vote for me.  8-)

In order to keep with the MAGS rule of "all new assets", I drew a ton of new art for this game and made sure to use NO sprites, GUIS, or cursors from any prior Barn Runner games (except for the TackyWorld logo, but that purple planet is my thing, man! You can't ask me to give it up!)

Thanks to Dualnames for the music, Trampoline for translating a bit of Latin, Ben304 for the nice painting he provided, Baron for the theme, and Atelier for keeping MAGS running every month.

DOWNLOAD AND LET THE TAWDRY ADVENTURE BEGIN! (Seriously, shame on you!)

(Note: For anyone who follows the Barn Runner storyline closely, this story takes place a few weeks after Barn Runner 2: The Ejection Rejection)

kconan

Looks like fun, and based on a favorite story of mine as a kid.  I'll download and play it this weekend.   

Ponch

Quote from: kconan on Tue 07/08/2012 02:54:05
  Looks like fun, and based on a favorite story of mine as a kid.  I'll download and play it this weekend.   

Thanks! And I hope I can win your vote for MAGS.  :)

Dualnames

I hear there's a kinky mode that needs a cheatcode. Lovely boobsgame there, Ponch.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ponch

Thanks DualGhosts! I'm glad you guys liked the game.  :)

And stop spreading rumors, spanos!  :=

Frodo

This looks brilliant Ponch   :smiley:

I'm computerless at the moment, but I'll download this ASAP   :smiley:

Ponch

Quote from: Frodo on Sun 12/08/2012 10:24:07
This looks brilliant Ponch   :smiley:

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your computer problems.  :undecided:

OG

I have to say, I'm quite enjoying the Barn Runner series. Hilarious, well done that man.

Ponch

Thanks, Onker. It's a series I've put a lot of work into down through the years.  :smiley:

Also, I've just been informed by Tabata that Tramponline is not Trampoline. Whoops. I don't know why I never caught that.  :sealed:

Gilbert

Tramponline is just trampoline used by Ponch. :=

Ponch

Hey, Iceybooty. Don't tease me about my poor reading abilities. I put all my experience points into drawing boobies. I'm not a well-rounded player character.  :wink:

Uziel

Absolute class, Ponch! I've been a long time fan of the Barn Runner series, having played them all (albeit, I still don't have the heart to finish Forever Friday - Part 3.. because then I'll have no more Barn Runner left... *whimper*).

Spoiler
I've only managed to get 2 endings so far (low score text one & bath scene), doesn't matter what options I choose and how different my final score is. No dice.
[close]

This is a really nice departure from the other games, but has that same Barny good time lovin' feel. Love your work bro! :)

Ponch

Quote from: Uziel on Mon 15/10/2012 09:13:41
I still don't have the heart to finish Forever Friday - Part 3.. because then I'll have no more Barn Runner left... *whimper*

The end? Don't be silly! Forever Friday part 4 comes out December 1st. And then parts 5 and 6 will come out next. You still have a few years of Barn Runner ahead of you.  :cheesy:

And if you want to unlock another ending or two...
Spoiler
click the Rated T button on the menu to change it to Rated M
[close]

:=

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 15/10/2012 15:36:04
The end? Don't be silly! Forever Friday part 4 comes out December 1st. And then parts 5 and 6 will come out next. You still have a few years of Barn Runner ahead of you.  :cheesy:
Time to call it Barn Jordan.

Ponch

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 15/10/2012 16:07:26Time to call it Barn Jordan.

Ben Jordan and Barn Runner both hit the AGS scene at the same time. Sadly, Ben Jordan has always had a higher profile than Prick Peckard. But I never gave up hope that my games and I would one day be embraced by the AGS Community. And now that Grundy has finally collapsed from exhaustion*, I can roll him out of the spotlight and bask in a little reflected glory.  :cheesy:

(*It was all the rotoscoping that finally did him in  := )

Uziel

The end? Don't be silly! Forever Friday part 4 comes out December 1st. And then parts 5 and 6 will come out next. You still have a few years of Barn Runner ahead of you.

True enough, just meant that I like to have a game on the backburner so I can segway into the next fairly quickly. It's like a safety blanket / crazy person kind of thing.  :wink:

And if you want to unlock another ending or two...

Gah!
Spoiler
I'd been clicking on some of the more "private" parts on the title screen, never thinking to click there.
[close]
Says a lot about me really....

Ponch

It was hidden in plain sight -- in the one place you (and Dualnames) would never look!  (laugh)

Uziel

Lurved the third "bed" ending. Class and a half of full cream dairy milk chocolate.

Ponch - at the risk of sounding like a trite bastard... I really love your games, and if there's ever any help needed on your stuff, please let me know. I really look forward to the Barn Runner games more than any other on AGS (sorry everyone else.... although I really do like Ben Jordan too, promise!), so am happy to help out if I ever can.

You are to AGS, what Pratchett is to fantasy literature. Which is about the highest compliment I can give (cos I really like Pratchett's Discworld novels).

Ponch

Thanks, Uziel! Personally, I've always considered myself the Stepahnie Meyer (or possibly Dan Brown*) of the AGS World-- a prolific hack, but I gratefully accept your compliment nonetheless.  ;-D

I also appreciate your offer of help. But there are only four Barn Runner games left to go. I made it through the first fifteen (FIFTEEN!!! 8-0 ) games on my own. I want to make it through the last four on my own. I'm trying to set some sort of AGS endurance record.  ;)

Thanks for playing!

Ponch

* Or maybe Dean Koontz? Sidney Sheldon? Hmmm. Who are some other terrible yet successful authors? Perhaps Nicholas Sparks?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk