Barely Floating

Started by Fitz, Fri 17/08/2012 21:39:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Fitz

I'm stuck with a bunch of things:

Spoiler
1. I'm trying to get the bartender to wash his beard, but I can't get shampoo from my room.
2. I tied the rope to the statue and my cabin's door. Guessing it'll knock out the unwanted occupant of my room when he opens the door - but the problem is he won't.
3. I'm guessing the cyan dye will help me get Mohombian currency - but the painter won't let me near it.

Talked to everyone, exhausted all topics available at this time. Not sure what to do now.
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
2 (and therefore 1 as well) - you're on the right tracks, you need something slippery to help the statue along...
[close]

Fitz

I don't think I have anything like that. Right now, the only things I have are
Spoiler
the cane, the banknote, the pills, the leaf and the magazine.
[close]

Stee

Spoiler
Maybe someone would like that magazine
[close]
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

CaptainD

Quote from: Stee on Fri 17/08/2012 22:59:41
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
And when he does, you might also be able to do something he wouldn't let you do with a nearby object...
[close]

Fitz

Spoiler
playing bingo. Figured out I have to change the music on the jukebox, since the one playing is the only one Pex likes - but I have no idea how I do that without getting dismembered ;)
[close]

Stee

Spoiler
Maybe someone else in the room can help you with the jukebox?
[close]
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Fitz

I asked
Spoiler
the bartender, the beard creature and Dave, who's standing next to it - and none of them seemed willing to change it. Should I just MAKE them do it, somehow?
[close]

Stee

Spoiler
Are you playing a game of bingo, or just plainly annoying Pex for no reason
[close]

No hints solution

Spoiler
ask Nab (the beard creature) to play bingo so that you have a card. go change the jukebox. Watch Pex flip out. Whilst talking to Dave click on the jukebox which should get Dave to help you distract him enough to switch the bingo cards
[close]

Did you pull an all nighter on this?  :-D

Fitz

Oh, yeah, that seems logical.

And nope, but pretty close :) Went to sleep at around 3am :) I blame the washing machine apocalypse from earlier that evening for keeping me up, alert and in constant need of a challenge late into the night. Played Barely Floating, got stuck, posted about it, went on to play Nancy in the meantime, finished Nancy, went back to BF and played till I got stuck, then some more, and posted about it right before I went to sleep at 2:59.

Khris

I'm stuck at the very beginning :-[

Spoiler
I'm in the room, got the pills. Can't do anything to anything. The guard just dismisses me. What am I missing?
[close]

Stee

Ah, can't exactly remember this

Khris have you

Spoiler
exhausted all dialogue options with Pex? Remember you can clikc on things in the environment whilst in dialogue mode to talk about them
[close]

or

Spoiler
use pills on door
[close]

Khris

QuoteRemember you can clikc on things in the environment whilst in dialogue mode to talk about them

I completely missed that that's possible. No wonder I was stuck. Thanks!

innerdrum

Hi there,
I'm stucked -feels like end of game is near-

Spoiler
Trying to comunnicate with other ships with computer, i get to identify myself and ask for help, when they ask what do i need, i type "hostages free" and then they ask who is responsable for this, tried "captain" and names that i remember from the game.
[close]

No luck so far.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

CaptainD

Spoiler
I think this stumped me for a bit until I told them that I was on a Pirate Ship... things then rolled on logically with information you could easily find on the readouts.
[close]

Fitz

This game is just too smart! It needs a walkthrough. Which is a a less self-deprecating way of saying *I* need one :P Yup, you guessed it - stuck again, and not so far from where I got stuck the last time.
Spoiler
I'm in the freezer/coldroom/what-have-you, and currently fighting Pex with my cane. Exhaused all topics of conversation. Can't grab anything or hit it with a cane -- other than Pex himself, obviously.
[close]

innerdrum

ok that did it just fine, Game ended.
Next, "Nancy th happy whore" -havent played yet, but my girl tried it and got to catch a glimpse, reminded my of leisure suit larry old games ♥-
Thanks for the help!

Stee

Fitz

Spoiler
If you time it well enough, wait until pex throws the extra knife strike, then you can actually hit him with your cane
[close]

CaptainD

Quote from: Stee on Sun 19/08/2012 02:04:30
Fitz

Spoiler
If you time it well enough, wait until pex throws the extra knife strike, then you can actually hit him with your cane
[close]

Spoiler
If you're still stuck, the point to try is when Pex goes "Har har".
[close]

Fitz

Quote from: CaptainD on Sun 19/08/2012 09:18:15
Fitz

Spoiler
If you're still stuck, the point to try is when Pex goes "Har har".
[close]

Yeah, had to try a bunch of times, but eventually I figured that out.

Actually finished the game, just now :) I was about to ask for more help, like three times - but managed to figure it out on my own, somehow. Not an easy thing to do with a splitting headache ;) Not from the game itself. It was lots of fun! Definitely difficult -- but everything was logical, in some way or another. I'm just terrible at noticing things, a lot of times. Took me a while to notice the crate with coconuts ;) Also, if Joe says something not possible/not worth doing at the moment without giving a more detailed explanation why, I tend not to try it again -- and that got me stuck a few times. But the hardest part was the karaoke, took me a while to get everything right.

But in the end, that's what I love about adventure games and logic games. Takes more than just running and shooting to get things done. Definitely enjoyed the game :) It was funny, bitter, very surreal at times -- and featured some nice, complex gameplay mechanics, like talking about everything else in the room.

AndyfromVA

I was doing fine until now but I'm stumped.
Spoiler
I freed the kids, filled up the leaf with water and shampoo and put it on the counter.  What now?
[close]

Fitz

Spoiler
Wait till the bantender crouches to look for something under the counter - and as soon as he does, talk to him. What'll happen is he'll
Spoiler
jump up, startled, hit his head and fall on the counter, beard-first -- and get shampoo in it.{/hide]
[close]
[close]

Xiphias

Please ignore -- how do I delete this post?  I just asked the question answered right above me. . . .

selmiak

I'm currently on the Bingo tournament but

Spoiler
The guy won't help me until he knows his kids are fine.
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
There's an extension cord on top of the speakers in the bar... I wonder what that could plug into?  ;)
[close]

frederic09

Hi everyone,

I am stuck in the game, i don't know how to :

Spoiler
find the hacker's drink
[close]

I have access :
Spoiler
to the Computer room (but i havn't the login/password yet)
[close]

I have in my inventory :

Spoiler
the gaz mask
[close]
Spoiler
Barbara
[close]
Spoiler
the 3 pills
[close]
Spoiler
the cane
[close]

Do you have any idea what i'm missing?

Thanks in advance,
Frédéric.

Fitz

You need to
Spoiler
collect quite a few items and do quite a few things to get there. Firstly, you need coconuts (in the big crate on the lower deck where the coldroom, the prison cell and the German guy are) and duct tape (for the life of mine, I can't remember where that was... Igon, perhaps?). You'll need those two things to
Spoiler
give Barbara bigger boobs and... wear her. Use coconuts and the tape on Barbara, go in front of the brewery and use the costume on the door. Once there, go to the left and turn the valve, so that the leak changes direction. Now go talk to the German. He'll start following you. Run away towards the leak. If he stops following, call him again. The goal is to get him stuck between the two containers with his BACK, not his face, facing the screen. The leak is sticky will get him stuck there permanently. When that happens, grab his underpants amd go check out the funnels.
[close]
Now you are pretty close - but not quite there yet. You have to
Spoiler
go to the bar and soak the underpants in the puddle in the top left corner. Go to Igon and use them on Igon. He'll tell you what drink it is. Now, go to the brewery and find the funnel for the drink he named. Look at the pills in your pocket. One of them will get whoever takes it severely stoned. Throw it into the funnel. Go back to the bar -- and you'll see it's working. Go talk to the hacker
[close]
[close]

frederic09

thanks, but...

Spoiler
i can't use the pants on the puddle, i have to calm down the hacker a little bit.
[close]

Do you have an idea about to solve the problem ?

CaptainD

Spoiler
If you can make the hacker more popular, he will calm down a bit...  without wanting to say too much, try playing around with the jukebox a bit and see what happens...
[close]

frederic09

Wierd i was using it a lot of time, but after a lots of attempt it worked.

Thanks.

CaptainD

I think the timing is a little fiddly on that puzzle.  Glad you've got past it! :D

AndyfromVA

Stuck again.

Spoiler
I have the telescope with the captain's image burned on it, but I can't do anything with it.  Also, I think I'm supposed to use Karaoke to get the lamp from the three brothers but I tried mentioning the things they liked and disliked and they still won't let me have the lamp.
[close]

frederic09

Andy, you're on the right path. It took me 4 hours to find the logic.

Spoiler
You have to influence the brother, so he will answer the question "correctly". Reread the religion part for each brother, and adapt the answer (yes/no) in consequence next time you're doing the Karaoke ;)
[close]

Fitz

That's a tricky one indeed. Had me stuck for a while, too, and I'm not quite sure how I made it through that one. A bit of knowledge, a bit of analyzing what each said, a bit of luck, I guess. But here's what little I figured out:

Spoiler

The basics (which I guess you've figured out:

Tahwid likes black and white movies. The black and white picture is a symbol of that. He dislikes alcohol - symbolized by the hacker's glass and the bottles on the counter.
Bahwid likes fish (the swordfish over the counter) and dislikes captivity (the chain on the jukebox).
Mahwid likes the sun (spotlights or the flashlight) and dislikes monsters (the octopus).

You need to click on the items liked/disliked by the one who's answering the question. There will be 4 questions and you have to get them all right. The questions repeat in different tries, but there's always a different set. Some that I managed to figure out:

T asking M about gods - lights
B - M: middle road - black and white picture
T - B: hell - chain
B - M: hell - octopus
B - M: one god - lights
T - B: inaction - fish
M - T: no gods at all - alcohol
B - T: non-being - alcohol
M - B: inaction - chain
T - M: reincarnation - octopus
T - M: non-being - flash
M - B: one god - fish
T - B: one god - chain
B - T: hell - aclohol
T - B: non-being - fish
T - M: hell - octopus
T - M: rebirth - octopus
T - M: non-being - light
M - T: serving god - picture
B - M: no gods - light
T - B: serving god - chain
[close]

Not sure if everything in that list is absolutely correct. Some were pretty logical, but some were wild guesses that just happened to work.

AndyfromVA

Thanks, Fredric09 and Fitz.  I don't know that I ever would have been able to figure it out on my own.

CaptainD

Fitz - there is a definite logic, you just have to
Spoiler
make the brothers agree with each other
[close]
.  (Well yeah, that sounds a whole lot easier than it is in practice, but it's definitely logical not random.)

Fitz

CaptainD:

Yeah, I figured that much. It's not that I was totally oblivious as to how it works.

Spoiler
I also knew right away that the items I mentioned were a reference to the brothers' likes and dislikes. But when I first started singing, I didn't even click them, because I thought they'd be needed later -- and clicked the brothers and other people instead. But it's like with, say, the rhyming sword fights in Monkey Island (at least the 3rd one had them, can't remember the earlier ones) - you just have to try stuff a bunch of times.

On a side note - gotta love how much thought and creativity went into this!
[close]

CaptainD

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 21/08/2012 21:53:48
Spoiler
I also knew right away that the items I mentioned were a reference to the brothers' likes and dislikes. But when I first started singing, I didn't even click them, because I thought they'd be needed later -- and clicked the brothers and other people instead. But it's like with, say, the rhyming sword fights in Monkey Island (at least the 3rd one had them, can't remember the earlier ones) - you just have to try stuff a bunch of times.
On a side note - gotta love how much thought and creativity went into this!
[close]
Spoiler
I absolutely agree - loved this puzzle once I figured it out (which, unusually for me, was quite quickly!  :-D  Many puzzles in SoMI I worked out by accident though.  It was a great moment when I finally worked out how to defeat the Sword Master!

Also, sorry if it appeared that I was belittling your puzzle-solving abilities - that really was not my intention!  :-[
[close]

Frodo

I'm stuck near the end of the game.   :confused:

Spoiler
I rescued the family from the brig, and they're waiting in the lifeboat.
[close]

But
Spoiler
The lifeboat is locked in place.  I need to get back upstairs to get the key to unlock it.  But he won't go back upstairs cos of the guards, and I can't find another way up.
[close]

I have in my inventory
Spoiler
Meat hook from the meat locker, 3 pills, gas mask, Barbara, and cane.
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
Maybe you can somehow get back into your cabin... that glass doesn't look all that strong...
[close]

Frodo

Thanks, but I can't get that to work.

Spoiler

If I use the cane on the cabing window, I can't reach, cos the stairs are too low.
If I use the meathook, that'll break the window, but it won't help me get up there.
And the 2 items won't combine.
[close]

Fitz

The hook will be essential here -- but you'll need something else, too.
Spoiler
You need to get the chain
Spoiler
that the skeleton is shackled with
Spoiler
and attach the hook to it.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Frodo

Ahh, I completely missed that, thanks.   :grin:

Finished the game now.  Loved it!  And loved the ending.   :grin:

The music in the game was amazing!  Excellent job. 

Thanks for a wonderful game.   :grin:

rhcooper

This is going to sound probably completely ridiculous. 

What do I do at the end?

Spoiler
By end, I literally mean the final battle with the Captain.  I pressed the button, I eletrocuted him.  I know it has to do with timing and direction, but I have be doing trial & error for days and have NO clue how to end this dude. 
[close]

AJA

rhcooper,

Hint 1:
Spoiler
Have you tried the other button?
[close]
Hint 2:
Spoiler
You can get there quickly by running.
[close]
Solution:
Spoiler
Wait for the captain near the floor hatch. When he catches you, Joe will hopefully run away near the button. Press it while the captain's standing over the hatch.
[close]

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Didn't expect to find them in the hint thread. :P

Fitz

Yeah, it might seem like a weird place for that -- but it definitely shows how much we liked the puzzles in this one. They were crazy at times, but still logical in some way.

aworldofblue

Quote from: Stee on Fri 17/08/2012 22:59:41
Spoiler
[close]

Trouble quite in the beginning

Spoiler
Where do I get the magazine from?
[close]

Fitz

Spoiler
At some point, when you go to the upper deck (where the guard is), you'll notice the Captain and Pex are there, too, talking. I thought it happened after you've asked Igon about the Captain or Pex and Bingo, after interviewing everyone else available -- but it seems you can do it earlier on. Just go up the stairs near the info guy. So when you see them talking on the upper deck, you'll notice something.
Spoiler
A magazine lying on the ground. Wait for the Cap and Pex to go away to pick it up.
[close]
[close]

selmiak

where do I

Spoiler
strap 3d enhanced and taped Barbara on?
I thought maybe the pig, but he won't do it...
[close]

CaptainD

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 31/08/2012 23:23:44
where do I

Spoiler
strap 3d enhanced and taped Barbara on?
I thought maybe the pig, but he won't do it...
[close]

Spoiler
As far as I remember, when you have the complete costume, you use it on the door before you go in to see the fat guy.
[close]

MiSaNtHrOpE

Where do I find the

Spoiler
Magazine?
[close]

and how do I get the

Spoiler
Leaf?
[close]

Fitz

Spoiler
The upper deck, where the armed guard is. See my previous post, three or four above, for more details if you have any problems.
[close]

Spoiler
You should be able to just take it at some point. Can't remember exactly if you need to complete any task or just ask Igon about it - but while I couldn't just take it from the very beginning, I had no problems later on.
[close]

MiSaNtHrOpE

Spoiler
I freed the kids and got the shampoo. Ingor is watching them, but I still can't get the stupid leaf. There is no dialogue option for it, and he still says he doesn't want to steal it. I can't go upstairs because the armed guard with the assault rifle is watching me.
[close]

Fitz

GENERAL HINT: There doesn't have to be a dialog option. You can simply ask about anything in the room (that is clickable). All you do start a conversation and when you move the mouse away from the dialog options, you'll notice them fade a little.

Spoiler
Now just click the leaf.
[close]

MiSaNtHrOpE

Spoiler
I have: The Gas Mask, 2 Coconuts, Scotch Tape, Barbara, Cane, and the R/G/B pills. How am I supposed to get Herr Hindenburg to move and/or fix the leaky valve to the far right? Also, I made the hacker hit the Jukebox when he throws the drink, and I'm not sure if I'm doing Karaoke right.
[close]

Fitz

A lot has been answered in detail before. The easiest and fastest thing to do sometimes is just check other people's questions.

For what to do with Herr Hindenburg -- and then the hacker -- check my reply to Frederic
HERE

For the karaoke -- which is indeed very tricky -- check Frederic's and my replies to AndyFromVA  HERE.

MiSaNtHrOpE

Quote from: Fitz on Fri 14/09/2012 19:54:00
A lot has been answered in detail before. The easiest and fastest thing to do sometimes is just check other people's questions.

For what to do with Herr Hindenburg -- and then the hacker -- check my reply to Frederic
HERE

For the karaoke -- which is indeed very tricky -- check Frederic's and my replies to AndyFromVA  HERE.

Spoiler
I completed the Karaoke puzzle, but I cannot get the fat dude stuck between the vats (spray leak is currently facing toward the right). The Stickiness only lasts for about 4 steps, and he isn't even close to going between them. Is there a way to make the stickiness last longer?
[close]

Spoiler
Nvm, I figured it out: The spray is supposed to be toward the left. OK let's do this!
[close]

Fitz

Oops, my bad - I did menton
Spoiler
turning the valve for the leak to change direction right after you enter the room
[close]
, but I forgot to specify what it does exactly, that is
Spoiler
get him stuck completely rather than just slow him down.
[close]

Shadow1000

I have the
Spoiler
password from the hacker.
[close]

I don't know how to
Spoiler
get past the guard to get up to the computer. I suppose it has something to do with the fog but I'm stuck
[close]

Any tips would be appreciated.

SHADOW

sthomannch

Shadow
yes, you have to do something with the fog. First you need
Spoiler

the flashlight and telescope.
[close]
Spoiler

Flashlight: solve the karaoke puzzle, try several times if necessary, it becomes obvious at what to point after a while.
Telescope: ask Igon and when you got it use it on the small portrait of the captain that the artist painted.
Combine the telescope and the flashlight.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: sthomannch on Mon 15/04/2013 01:14:11
Shadow
yes, you have to do something with the fog. First you need
Spoiler

the flashlight and telescope.
[close]
Spoiler

Flashlight: solve the karaoke puzzle, try several times if necessary, it becomes obvious at what to point after a while.
Telescope: ask Igon and when you got it use it on the small portrait of the captain that the artist painted.
Combine the telescope and the flashlight.
[close]

Oh, ok. I'm not there yet. I didn't realize I had to solve those first so I just went upstairs. I did dabble around a bit with the
Spoiler
karaoke puzzle, after learning their respective likes and dislikes and finding corresponding items but I didn't see much change in their demeanour so I thought I'd try something else first
[close]

Thank you

SHADOW

peter

Where are the walkthroughs
Are no one make new walkthroughs anymore ??

Thanks

Leon

Well.... if you insist. You can find the walkthrough here.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

peter

Quote from: Leon on Fri 26/04/2013 17:58:50
Well.... if you insist. You can find the walkthrough here.

peter

thanks

CosmoQueen

I have a small problem....

Spoiler
I keep putting in the coordinates and heading wrong when talking to the other ship. I tried 21-26-74S, 62-12-54E 86-14-13deg but it's wrong! How am I supposed to be putting it? I've tried another comma and a space in between.
[close]
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Airborne

Quote from: CosmoQueen on Fri 05/07/2013 22:34:09
I have a small problem....

Spoiler
I keep putting in the coordinates and heading wrong when talking to the other ship. I tried 21-26-74S, 62-12-54E 86-14-13deg but it's wrong! How am I supposed to be putting it? I've tried another comma and a space in between.
[close]
Hint:
Spoiler
What do you need to represent coordinate in 2D?
[close]

Ans:
Spoiler
The 3rd set of numbers are bearing, which the other ship will ask you later.
[close]

CosmoQueen

Okay I got it but I'm still wondering something......

Spoiler
I only got it right cuz of the coordinates that were in the walkthrough. Where did those even come from? I was using the numbers shown on the location.
[close]

Adeel

Quote from: CosmoQueen on Sun 07/07/2013 19:52:46
Spoiler
I only got it right cuz of the coordinates that were in the walkthrough. Where did those even come from? I was using the numbers shown on the location.
[close]

The numbers shown were that ship's coordinates whom you were contacting. Sea Krait is located in the middle of the map and is rather darker than the others. If you hover the mouse there, it'll show you the coordinates of Sea Krait.

CosmoQueen

Ohhhhh gotcha! Thanks, I was really racking my brain over this lol.

Adeel

The puzzles were pretty self explanatory. I didn't feel the need to consult the walkthrough through out the game, except:

Spoiler
When you have to ask the other ship to help - couldn't find the correct sentence to use
[close]

and

Spoiler
When you have to take the chain to break through the window.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk