Art restoration

Started by Snarky, Wed 22/08/2012 19:58:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

The BBC reports:

Quote from: BBCSpanish fresco restoration botched by amateur

An elderly parishioner has stunned Spanish cultural officials with an alarming and unauthorised attempt to restore a prized Jesus Christ fresco.
BBC Europe correspondent Christian Fraser says the delicate brush strokes of Elias Garcia Martinez have been buried under a haphazard splattering of paint.

The once-dignified portrait now resembles a crayon sketch of a very hairy monkey in an ill-fitting tunic, he says.

I wonder if this elderly Spanish parishioner has ever considered remaking one of the old EGA adventure games? Maybe Conquests of Camelot?

Stupot

Haha, I just saw this post too, and thought it would be cool to have a competition to see who can do the best restoration of it (digitally though).
That lady seems to have about as much respect for Christ as I do :/

Igor Hardy

LimpingFish

She was clearly going for an Ewok. Chief Chirpa, by the looks of it.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Anian

...mr. Bean's spirit strikes in real life.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Armageddon

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 22/08/2012 20:15:16
Haha, I just saw this post too, and thought it would be cool to have a competition to see who can do the best restoration of it (digitally though).
That lady seems to have about as much respect for Christ as I do :/
Whether you respect it or not it's still a priceless piece of art.

Eric

Quote from: Armageddon on Thu 23/08/2012 01:45:20Whether you respect it or not it's still a priceless piece of art.

...Or is it?

Baron

I think all the naysayers are living in the past.  This is a clearly a revolution in religious art, comparable to the Renaissance and the Impressionist movement.  Van Gogh could hardly sell a painting in his lifetime, and now they fetch millions at auction.  This is the germ of something new and powerful - interactive iconography, where the lowliest believers can affect their own rebirth of the saviour!  Jesus would love this shiznit.  The meek shall inherit the earth, the last shall be first, etc. etc.  You gotta fight the Man to love the Man, man. 

Elderly Parishioner 1, Establishment 0

selmiak

After having a good laugh at this at first I wonder if this really happened. Look at the background, it is completely different. If I would screw up an old painting like this why should I take the time to overpaint the background?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Artists rendering of what the painting would look like if the parishioner had been allowed to finish:

[imgzoom]http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/ProgZmax/cg.gif[/imgzoom]

Snarky

Igor Hardy

Baron

The devil made me do it.  THE DEVIL!

Armageddon

I'll admit, it took me awhile to notice the cat.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Baron on Sat 25/08/2012 04:08:47

Who's that lovely lady with the cat? Looks kind of familiar. And the cat even more so.

Stupot

Miguel R. Fervenza

Cecilia is a heroin.

Baron

Quote from: Ascovel on Sat 25/08/2012 11:04:01

Who's that lovely lady with the cat? Looks kind of familiar. And the cat even more so.

It occurs to me that other AGSers might not be as adept stalkers as Ponch thinks I am.  Here's my inspiration.

Grim

Quote from: Ascovel on Sat 25/08/2012 11:04:01

So... YOU are the Cat Lady!!! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk