Sub-pixel Positioning Question - Smooth Scroll / Parallax (solved)

Started by Ali, Sun 26/08/2012 14:12:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Some of you may be familiar with my smooth scrolling module: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=33142.0

I'm using it to create an ocean wave effect - the camera going up and down gently. However, the module doesn't allow very slow movement. When movement gets near to 1 pixel per second it looks very jerky, like stair-step aliasing but for movement. To get around that, I have a line which cuts off the movement when it gets slow:

Code: AGS
if (Centring == false && ScrollSpeedY < 0.7 && ScrollSpeedY > -0.7) ScrollSpeedY = 0.0;

Now, I can create a passable ocean effect by temporarily changing those 0.7s to 0.3s. But it's still quite jerky and jerkiness is not what the smooth scroll module is about! The jerkiness is accentuated by the parallax effect, because when the camera makes a single 1 pixel jump, the foreground objects make a 1 or more pixel jump in the opposite direction.

What I'm wondering about is whether, what with all the AGS changes afoot, there will be any prospect of setting an object's position, or even the viewport, using floats rather than ints? Or might there be a cosmetic way around this which I haven't considered?

I would appreciate any input!

Khris

The only thing I can think of is faking sub-pixel positioning/AA by using two semi-transparent objects.

Say the object is supposed to be placed at Y = 122.3
Place the object at 122 with a transparency of 30, and place a copy of it at 123 with a transparency of 70.

However, I've done a quick test and the problem is that transparency isn't additive. If my calculations are correct, the area covered by both objects is 21% transparent, not 0%.

Without changes to the engine, I don't think there's a simple way to achieve this effect without rendering the entire sprite yourself.

Ali

Ooh, the transparency idea is quite ingenious, even if it doesn't work right now.

Back when AGS only moved objects in 2 pixel jumps I added in a hack to allow 1 pixel jumps (by creating sprites of the same object with 1 pixel difference). I suppose you could pre-render a 9 frame transition from 0.0 to 0.9 and assign the appropriate frame depending on the value after decimal place. So in the case of Y = 122.3 the object would be placed at 122 showing a frame which shifts it upwards by 30% of a pixel...

I'm not a very maths-y person. What would be a good way of getting just the decimal at the end of the float?

DoorKnobHandle

Code: AGS

float position = 122.3;
int rem = FloatToInt ( position * 10.0 ) % 10;

Completely untested and I'm in a rush but that should work. rem is the first decimal point (0-9) of float position.

Snarky

Ali

Snarky's technique sounds really interesting, but it doesn't sound like it would work well with the parallax module because it uses objects.

With a bit of experimentation, Khris's suggestion seems to work. Or at least, it stops parallax objects from exaggerating the jerkiness of slow scrolling. Thanks!

Snarky

I don't see how Khris's method can avoid the problem of the resulting sprite being partially transparent.

Vince Twelve

In Resonance, to get slow-moving, smooth-scrolling sky backgrounds in some of the scenes, I took the sky background image, blew it up 10x, made 10 frames of animation each shifting the sprite 1px left, then saved them all back to their original sizes.  The result was a 10 frame animation of the item moving 1 pixel (after playing the 10 frames, you shift the object one pixel and return to the first frame).  I used these frames for the tenth-of-a-pixel sprite movement.

Might be hard to integrate that into the parallax module, I'm not familiar with how it's written, but the big drawback would be swollen file sizes if you use this technique liberally.  I only used it in a few scenes.

Ali

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 01/09/2012 07:52:33
I don't see how Khris's method can avoid the problem of the resulting sprite being partially transparent.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't do an on-the-fly blend, I did something like what Vince did but using a different technique to render the frames.

It shouldn't be a problem to integrate it into the module. At the moment there is a PxView property which is pretty redundant. I could make the module assume that the first two loops were 10 frame animations vertically and horizontally. Because of the hassle to render and set up, I'm not sure how many people would actually use it...

Calin Leafshade

get yourself a bilinear filter algorithm and prerender the frames in the module?

Snarky

Quote from: Ali on Fri 07/09/2012 23:33:07
Quote from: Snarky on Sat 01/09/2012 07:52:33

Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't do an on-the-fly blend, I did something like what Vince did but using a different technique to render the frames.

It shouldn't be a problem to integrate it into the module. At the moment there is a PxView property which is pretty redundant. I could make the module assume that the first two loops were 10 frame animations vertically and horizontally. Because of the hassle to render and set up, I'm not sure how many people would actually use it...

Not to make this into a big thing, but didn't I suggest the same solution four years ago? I thought you'd already integrated it into the module, in fact.

Ali

Looking back, you did!

But back then AGS moved objects in 2 pixel jumps, so the module was INCREDIBLY jerky. I used your suggestion to get it down to 1-pixel jumps, which seemed satisfactory at the time.

Calin: I have no idea how to do what you're suggesting. Do you have any tips?

Vince Twelve

Hey, you know what, Snarky? I think reading that post several years ago gave me the idea to do it that way!  I forgot about that, thanks!

Misj'

It's been a while since I've done any programming in AGS; for my work I've mostly worked with MatLab (which is at times dreadful but it gets me where I need to go to analyze my images)...so my apologies if this answer is not applicable in this case.

But the way I would approach this problem is similar to Calin's remark: 'get yourself a bilinear filter algorithm and prerender the frames in the module?'. Assuming we can do some basic image convolution (and Fourier transforms) the fastest way to create subpixel-shift would be with a convolution matrix of:

convolution Matrix = 
0    0    0
i    1-i  0
0    0    0

where i is a value between 0 and 1.

This way it will blend each pixel with the left neighbouring pixel with a ration of i to 1-i. The upside: in general, image-convolution is the fastest way to do this; in the case of most AGS use-cases this should work in real-time and would not require any pre-rendering . The downside: you get a border-artefact (in this case you will get a single pixel black black border to the right that you would need to remove).

Hope this is useful :)

EDIT: typo in the convolution matrix

Monsieur OUXX

Considering that the intro of "How they found silence Deluxe" is an ocean wave effect exactly like yours, and that it looks horrible (per-pixel movement), and that I knew that eventually I'd have to implement what you describe... You have my blessing for this :-D

Ali

I appreciate your blessing!

However I'm afraid I don't know what a convolution matrix is, never mind how to implement one in AGS. My module just moves objects around - it's very simple!

What would be the best way to approach this? I'm inclined to go pre-rendered, purely because I understand that approach. However your suggestions sound better, but I'm nto sure where to begin with them.

- Ali

Snarky

Well, the first step would be to implement Fast Fourier Transform and convolution functions in AGS. Those are standard algorithms and it should be easy to find implementations in other languages to use as examples. Then you'd just write a module that reads in the sprite, performs the appropriate convolution in frequency space, and writes out the subpixel-shifted version of the sprite to another sprite slot.

A FFT solution would be nice, but unfortunately I don't think you can in fact do it in a module. The only way to read in the original sprite and then create the modified sprite after you've done the convolution would be to loop over all the pixels doing getpixel/drawpixel, which would hardly be very efficient. More seriously, you can't read or write the alpha channel, so any alpha-blended pixels would have to render as opaque; this would play havoc with the edges of any subpixel-positioned sprites.

I'm sure it could be done, but it would have to be done as a plugin (unless the engine API were updated).

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 11/09/2012 14:25:08
Well, the first step would be to implement Fast Fourier Transform and convolution functions in AGS.

LOL. :D
Even though that would be really nice, my advice is this: Ali, don't let yourself be terrified by Snarky's post.

For short: A convolution Matrix is a small 3x3 array containing the values of the color-change you must apply to each pixel in the picture, and to its 8 surrounding pixels. You need to do a big loop and apply this color change to every pixel in the picture. You will notice that a consequence of the Matrix's size (3x3) is that some color changes will be applied to each pixel several times : when the matrix is applied to the pixel before them, then when it's applied on them, then when it's applied to the pixel after them, etc. Except the color change won't have the same value each time, since the 3x3 array doesn't store the same value in every cell.
If you convolution Matrix contains the right fine-tuned values, then it will create the transformation effect you seek. That's pretty much the concrete implementation of a shader.

Then, all the FFT stuff is to optimize (you stop seeing your input picture as an array of pixels, but instead you see it as a "wave" in a different "space" (in the mathematical sense of the word)). There's a lot of mathematical theory behind it, but for short, it's like you're Neo and you're inside the Matrix, and you see only the essence of the picture. You don't need to look closely at every pixel to get the picture, instead you apply some mathematical functions to it, that will apply some bulk-processing to the relevant pixels at once, in a super-optimized manner. Think of JPEG compression, for example : instead of storing every pixel, it calculates only some raw variations in the picture's contrast (and stores them as sinusoidal "waves" or "curves"), and when you superimpose those variations on top of eachother (at rendering time), then BOOM, an image magically appears (the drawback being that you can't keep all the details, hence the blocky/dirty effect wherever there is a sudden contrast change). I'm not saying Snarky suggested you implement JPEG, I'm just giving an example of FFT (and all that "wave" magic) in everyday life.

Having said all that, the convolution matrix approach is a per-pixel approach (unless I missed something). I don't know if it's very optimized (unless you write a plugin -- in that case I'd recommend the EXCELLENT "AGSEasyPlugin" tool ;-) ... or you could just add some features to Calin's Blending plugin, I'm pretty sure all the code base you need is there). Your/others' idea of relying on hardware-accelerated features (transparency, etc.) and manipulate entire pictures is nice as well, and has the virtue of keeping it simple, and at module level.

Misj'

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 12/09/2012 09:20:20Having said all that, the convolution matrix approach is a per-pixel approach (unless I missed something).
You missed something. :) - convolution is by definition a Fourier-space based approach and not a per-pixel approach (although many of the same effect can be achieved in a loop, as you described, but it will be very ineffective). 

You can compare the convolution-matrix to the point spread function: it describes how each single pixel is distorted in the image. Convolution then basically multiplies the original image with it's distortion. This is very cost-efficient, as it is a single operation for the entire image (rather than a per-pixel operation). The other advantage is, that each convoluted/distorted image can be deconvoluted if you know the original distortion...this is something that is fairly difficult with per-pixel manipulation.

All that being said: applicability to AGS might not, as Snarky pointed out, be that feasible; although I've seen Calin do some amazing stuff, and he might have some ideas about this.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Misj' on Wed 12/09/2012 11:57:03
Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 12/09/2012 09:20:20Having said all that, the convolution matrix approach is a per-pixel approach (unless I missed something).
You missed something. :) - convolution is by definition a Fourier-space based approach and not a per-pixel approach

Yeah, I contradicted myself, after having explained at length why the convolution stuff was not per-pixel :D Bottom line is : Ali, do as you like, but good luck if you go the Fourier way!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk