The Uncertainty Machine

Started by ratracer, Mon 10/03/2003 10:12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

ratracer

EDIT 12-03-2003:
14H15M GMT time - A corrected version of the game is now ready for download at the same place. (The executable file is now TUMv11.exe, etc )

Also, for those that are already playing the buged version (TUMv1.exe), it seems that a savegame will work - I still didn't have time to play it until the bug... It may be ready for download at 19H00 GMT

If you're playing the bugged version, also:
1. DO NOT use map when inside warehouse
2.  There are 4 objects in the inventory that when right clicked when in "zoomed view" create a deadend - so, save before trying to look at inventory objects when in zoom view

After one year in the making, The Uncertainty Machine is out...

The game is supposed to borrow elements from Broken Sword-type games and science-fiction novels...

Set in the near future, in the western world, the game features a young female reporter. She'll start the day investigating a minor bulglary - her curiosity will soon instigate her to know more, and know more she eventually will.

Go get the game at the games page (full length), or thru my page www.freewebs.com/ratracer ...

The released game is supposed to be version 1 (meaning that - maybe ! - there will be another version, but only with an updated music score).

I have written a WT for the desperate ones - post or email me if you need it!  

Barcik

After seeing how Neole was impressed with this one, I am can't wait (though he does seem to have a phobia of stories  ;)). Downloading now.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Pet Terry

Yay can't wait to play this one :)

Only thing is... download is bit too big to download on my connection so I have to probably go to my friends place and download it there.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Barcik

Music is being screwy for me.

The first tune in the game itself sounds like, well, noise to me. A lot of it. What do I do?

Joseph DiPerla

yeah, too big of a download for me, so this may take a while, but I checked out your sites and the graphics, it looks really nice and professional.

Joey
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

ratracer

Barcik, I don't know! I had some problems with 2 musics during development stage, but I resampled them and they started playing fine.

Do you have Win98?
Are all the "musics" like noise?

There's is ONE music (the mugging!) that I wouldn't be suprised if you called that "noise" since it's Zero Tolerance for Silence...

Barcik

The ones in the menu sounded ok.

I am running XP.

It is the first tune in the game - when she is standing outside and seeing the muggery.

ratracer

That music is supposed to have no melody whatsoever, so maybe you call that noise.... It's a screeming guitar or something, right?

AGA

I'm having difficulty downloading. When I click in the link it takes me to http://www.web1000.com (or something like that) with no opportunity to download...

Barcik

Quote from: ratracer on Mon 10/03/2003 18:05:20
That music is supposed to have no melody whatsoever, so maybe you call that noise.... It's a screeming guitar or something, right?

It's a screaming something, that's for sure.

Nostradamus

For me it sounded like just a blur..

Need help!

Spoiler
Can't go pu the elevator
[close]

Dorcan

Spoiler
you have to work as an electrician. Try repairing the panel
[close]

MillsJROSS

For some reason I couldn't download it from your website, but am now currently downloading it just fine from AGS's games page. I'll tell you what I think once it's finished (which might take a while).

-MillsJROSS

Goldmund

Zlorfik!
Why do you release it when I'm not home and on dial-up?!?!?!
Can't wait to try it finally!

Andail

Brilliant, ratracer, can't wait to play it!
Just by reading the description and looking at the pictures, I love it :)

EDIT: Trying it out now. I have a feeling this might be one of the absolute best games so far...superb gameplay....everything is great

ratracer

Boys, you're making me nervous...!!! Don't get those expectations so high, the game might fall flat on your face...

Anyway, thanks for trying it out...

For those that may have trouble downloading it, here's the URL (courtesy of LGM!!!) :
http://www.fbc-bettendorf.com/ratracer/TUMv11.zip
(the previous (TUMv1.exe) version had still a few bugs, but now at the same URL and SAME zipfile, there's a cleaner version (TUMv11.exe,...))

miguel

Estou a fazer o download. parabéns :)

ratracer

Miguel, para quando o teu segundo jogo?
(Entretanto, já há 4 ou 5 portugueses aqui... P.A.C. anyone?)

miguel

tenho 15 quartos feitos para o segundo jogo, o nome é wichcraft e estou a tentar elevar a qualidade em relaçao ao primeiro. o problema é que tenho tido muito trabalho, enfim. Quer dizer que há mais portugueses? à“ptimo!
- Ainda não consegui jogar ao teu jogo (TEMPO!!!)
abraço, miguel

Dorcan

I found some bugs :
Spoiler
In the dock 65-A, as I couldn't find a way out in the black room (the one after having oppened the container) I looked at the map, and so I were able to come back to the entrance, but this time, the container was closed, and there's no way to open it.
[close]
Spoiler
Strangely, after having modified the key in the close-up, Susan is positioned in the middle of the screen, and sadly, not on a walkable-area... So for the moment, I'm stuck!
[close]
Spoiler
If you look at the machine shematics and you right-clic on the museum key, you can't anymore leave the machine shematics close-up.
[close]

remixor

I can't figure out what to do after
Spoiler
I opened the panel with the screwdriver and created the insulated wire.  She says she needs to attach the wire with something but I don't know what.  I tried the resin but it doesn't do anything.  That seemed the most logical choice, then I tried all the other inventory items too.
[close]
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Dorcan

Spoiler
look in the trash-bin
[close]

RickJ

Congratulation Rat!!!!  Whawhooooooosie!!

MillsJROSS

I've played around with it some, and so far so good. It's getting a little more compelling as I go along.

I'm a bit stuck though

Spoiler
I'm trying to find the code up at the 11th floor. I thought I might find something in the drawer underneath Colins tank, but since I haven't been able to open it, I haven't been able to get it. I'm also looking for numbers, because the message implies that I might get numbers in which to rearange them and figure it out. I can't find a number anywhere, and I've been looking everywhere.
[close]

I did find a bug in the begining...

Spoiler
I was figuring out how to get the lift to open and I talked to the security guard and told him I already had opened it, when I hadn't already opened it.
[close]

I'll edit this post as I delve deeper into your game, good job from what I've seen, though.

-MillsJROSS

Duzz

I love this game, the developing plot is really absorbing, a real page turner =) great puzzles and graphics too.
But I am also stuck in the same place as dorcan due to that bug =(
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

ratracer

Darn!!!!
I thought I took care of those bugs!!!! (And the critical one is a new bug!!!!)
I guess- for the time being - I'll prepare a savegame just after the point where you are stuck due to the bug when zooming the key....
I'll also correct the game and upload a new version....
I'll post it when I have it available for download...

MillsJROSS:
Spoiler

Hint: This puzzle was a rip-off from Runaway... You cannot know the code: You can only know which numbers compose the code. After that, it will be simple trial and error. So you'll have to find a way to discover which keys are pressed - hope this helps as a starting point. If you'll still stuck I'll post the solution later on
[close]

EDIT: New version (TUMv11.exe,---) available for download...

ratracer

I uploaded a savegame (for the bugged version TUMv1.exe) to be downloadable at

http://www.fbc-bettendorf.com/ratracer/savegame.zip

The bug is highly noticeable. It occurs close to the final part of the game - inside a warehouse. After exiting the zoom of a key , Susan will be placed too high on the screen - she won't have her feet in the ground so she can't move. Restoring this savegame will present you no troubles: that part of the game is fairly linear, so only the odd inventory object may be different from the part where you get the bug.

danny*

Eduardo,..what can i say but....I love it!!!! :o
Fantastic atmosphere ,and a great looking scenario!!
I've just started playing (i got it today),....so i'll post some more later on....
thank you!!
:D :D :D :o

Matt Brown

sorry rat!!! I really screwed up, as far asd being a tester went. DOH!

btw...I'll soon have an AHS file ready...those are harder to write then I thought
word up

Dorcan

Argh, I'm stuck !!
Spoiler
How can I find the coordinate numbers I have to enter in the console ? I just need a little clue ! I tried with the numbers I found with the statue description (1945, 15, 288, etc) and I also tried to find a code in Art Mathus' message, but without success.
[close]

ratracer

Boy, Dorcan, you're quick! Also, I'm glad the savegame worked...

Spoiler

You got the coordinates right 194515288 (to get the machine working first time). I guess you also have the new filter on the machine. It's supposed to be working now... Does the console say wrong coordinates even with that code? (I didn't mess with that part of the script!!!)
[close]

And MrPanda, that bug that Dorcan got was me screwing up, coz I changed a bit on the script after betatesting...

Thanks, Danny, I'm glad you're enjoying it!!!!

Dorcan

Oh mY! I don't understand ! I thought I tried that ! Thanks! Now I can continue  ;D

emirovski

19 MB is too big to download from a dial-up connection...

Dorcan

You just have to download this excellent game during the night.
And 19Mo would take...what...only 70 minutes!

Matt Brown

aaaawwwww man! You spelled my name wrong! my name is matthEW not Matthem! It's okay though.
word up

ratracer

Aw, sorry MrPanda! I knew your name is Matthew,  just stupid mispelling... Anyway, it's not much work to correct it and upload again...

And thanks, Dorcan!

Nostradamus

Great game so far. Detective games are cool.

Need help:
Spoiler
can't figure out how to get the photo from the policeman so I can give it to to the artist. SO how do I get the photo?
[close]

Dorcan

I finished the game yesterday, tried the 3 different endings (great great great), and I must say that I absolutely loved it !

Graphically, it's splendid. Although there were some anatomy mistakes, I really liked the characters design & style! Background architecture & colors also impressed me.

The puzzle were as hard as I like, cause there were a lot of them, and they weren't to much difficult. (I finished this game in something like 280 minutes...Wow! About 5 hours!)

And the story...Oh my! I like science-fiction stories (and I also like a lot Philip K Dick novels). I really appreciate when we can listen to somebody who's explaining scientific things.  ;D

May I now make some critics ? :)
Spoiler

-I think it would be better if we could interrupt cut-scenes, cause I hate having to wait until the title animation finish everytime I launch the game.
-When we chose a dialog option, this one should be turned off until next time.
-F9 for the menu isn't practicall in my opinion. ESC would be better.
-Change the music in the newspaper hall entrance!!!! It hurts my ears!
-I first thought that the coordinate we have to enter should be typed like this: "1945 15 288". It would be very helpful if the game accepts the code even with spaces between numbers.
[close]

Minor "bugs":
Spoiler

- There are some walkable area missing in the museum entrance hall (at the bottom of the screen)
- When a file is added or edited in the laptop after having chosen a dialog option, if we re-click on the same option, the "Doc added in laptop" appears again.
- After having rescued Collin, later in the game, when we speak with Phil, the conversation always begins with "-You did very good detective work[...]" and after that: "-Hi phil! -Hi susan.".
- I think Peter's cigarette should stop "smoking" in day 2.
- When we are in the other dimension, we don't have anymore objects. Ok. But when we got the device from Art, it isn't displayed in the inventory. We have to clic on the left button some times to see the object (light). The inventory should be updated everytime we lose an object I think.
[close]

Ok, I tell you again : This was an excellent game !  ;D
Thanks

Goldmund

Finished!
Eduardo, it seems that I can't congratulate you enough!
It is definitely way on the top of independent games.
It was well worth the wait.
I said it before, but I absolutely love the comic-like appearance of backgrounds and I was slightly sad to see them dissapear by the end of the game, although the 3d ones were of course very good. It's just they didn't have the same unique atmosphere.
What can I say - there aren't many commercial games so involving as the UM.
All the endings are terryfying and leave player wondering, which is great. Amazing atmosphere to them.
I missed to see what is Susan's apartment like, something from her more intimate side - but it's just me, he he.
You didn't really use the artist's park - did you plan something more there? With the painter etc.?
As a sci-fi detective game - it's amazing, and it's incredible how you make the player wonder what will happen next and what is the explanation of all this. Especially when all the stuff with paintings begins, the game acquires this eerie paranoid atmosphere.
I loved the museum puzzle, when you-know-what happened to reveal what is freedom - it was great.
The plot idea was also very unique.
Puzzles were logical and well-placed: they were sometimes hard, but not hard enough to make me ask for hints.
All in all, you should work in the business. But we could expect that from the maker of Dentist Quest.
I think that you should keep some place on your virtual shelves come the next AGS awards.
The funny thing is that I have some similar puzzles and technical ideas in Donna - but I don't despair, as my story and atmosphere is quite different.
Anyway - good, good job. It must've been lots of effort.

now, for the SERIOUS BUG that leaves a player in dead-end situation:
Spoiler

When you write down the coordinates from the statue and then talk to phil again, the laptop doc gets updated and you loose the numbers from the museum without the chance of getting back there!
[close]

edit:
IMPORTANTE!
Ratracer, I think should enclose the winsetup file. The game ran very slow on my home computer, so I jury-rigged the winsetup from another AGS game with UltraEdit32. When I set up the sprite cache in advanced options to maximum, it ran much faster.

RickJ

Hey Rat,

On your website you said ...
Quote...But anyway, soon enough, our heroin will become into possession of...
I think you meant heroine not heroin.  :)  

heroine - female hero to make you safe

herion   - drugs to make you high

Don't you hate spelling errors...

ratracer

Nostradamus:
Spoiler

You have to hide behind the pillar and use the stone on the (left) window
[close]

RickJ: heroin! haha! sorry, bad mistake! Somehow, I find it funny enough not to change it! But I will!

Dorcan and Goldmund: thanks a lot for all your praise - although I think you are exagerating! I myself was satisfied as the plot come out (since I wrote the story as I was scripting and drawing the game), but there are still many, many glitches, many "strange" animations, and some "holes" in the story, the characters have no real personality, etc,etc.... But thanks again, and I loved that you liked it. I was very unsure about the puzzles easiness - I wanted to make a non-difficult game, but not that easy - it seems I got it more or less as I wanted...

Also, thanks for the comments and  suggestions:

Goldmund:
1. the dead end you mention was something I didn't know - that one I have to correct!
2. The absence of winsetup: the game was compiled under AGS 2.54beta1 (it had to,since AGS 2.53 had 2 bugs that created problems in the game) and it doesn't produce winsetup!? I'll wait for the 2.54 release version to recompile again...
3. Using 3D was just experimenting. I was learning (I still am) using 3D tools. I didn't have any idea on how the machine would be, so I tried to draw it in 3D... in the end, I decided to let all be in 3D...
It's an amateur game, so I have this artistic freedom!

Dorcan:
1. The topics of dialog being left off or not: I had a hard time deciding what to do. I'd prefer that once the topic was selected it wouldn't appear again, but some players prefer the topic to be there in case they didn't read the lines of dialog the first time...
2. Interrupting cut scenes - you're right. I tried the new interrupting cut scenes command script, but for some reason I couldn't get them right, so I left it as it is...
3. F9 or ESCsc? I had ESC as the key to call the menu: some people didn't like it... so I changed to a innoquous (but a bit unusual, as you refer) F9.
4. Yeah the music: I'm surprised no one mentioned the music, since I wasn't very happy with the quality of sound or the "placement" in the rooms - I'll try to resample the music again, but sometimes it plays well in Winamp and bad in the game, and vice-versa, so it's a bit of a juggling act... A "new" version will have a new music score...
5. I'll recheck the walkable areas...
6. The "doc added in laptop" labels are something that I knew some were repeating. I don't know if I have the will to go back to the script again and correct those...
7. The "-..." in dialogs are strange!? - I never noticed them: I'll see why that happens!!?
8.  the inventory object not appering is a bug that happens only once in 10 or 20 times - so far, I think only I had that thing... I may go again to Chris and ask him about it, but it's very difficult to replicate it...
9. The cigarette in day 2: once again you're right, but it's too much trouble to go again and change that. You're right, but I'm too lazy on this one!

Once again, thanks!!!

Ahem! Wouldn't you mind going to the games page and vote?

Joacim Andersson

I'm totally stucked and would appreciate a hint...
Spoiler
I've made a copy of the key found in the museum but I don't know what to do with it yet.
I know I'm supposed to visit the museum somehow but currently I've only been able to go to the staff room.
Please give me some hint on what to do next...
[close]
I've also noticed some strange behaviour in the game. Nothing serious but I though I should mention them...
Spoiler
After I had opened the post-box and returned the key to the man outside I tried to put back the suit in the hole but got a message that I still need it. I then tried to leave the screen and instantly got the message that the suit should be returned first.
Also the butler keeps saying "The vice-consul is not at the moment" which makes me think "is not what?"...
[close]
Apart from that I think it's a great game, I really enjoy playing it.

ratracer

Joacim,
Spoiler

You'll only be able to visit the museum later... (only after using that key)...
Have you read tuesday's paper? Have you visited the administration meeting room? Have you talked to Phil in day 2?
[close]

And, unfortunately, the game has some glitches of the kind you mention. Some of them are worse than those...
I'll try to repair most for an updated version...

Barcik

Bug:
Spoiler
MMmmm... I was walking around the second room (Newspaper building) for the first time (at the beginning of the game), somewhere around the center of the screen, and suddenly it crushed!
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Ratracer:
Spoiler
Yes I've been to the administration meeting room and I think I've got everything from there. I've also talked to Phil and read the paper, I've found the way to the dock but I can't enter it since it's locked. I've also got Peters address and i've rescued the editor. A strange thing is that when I searched Peter I found two keys, but after I've opened the second door and was moved back to the office I lost both of them...
[close]

Dorcan

Quote1. The topics of dialog being left off or not: I had a hard time deciding what to do. I'd prefer that once the topic was selected it wouldn't appear again, but some players prefer the topic to be there in case they didn't read the lines of dialog the first time...
Yes of course we should be able to ask again the same question, but I think they should be turned off in a conversation, and then turned on the next time we talk to the same person.

Quote7. The "-..." in dialogs are strange!? - I never noticed them: I'll see why that happens!!?
Lol in fact there aren't any "-...". I just wanted to say that when we click on phil, there is a little "intro", and then the dialog start with "Hi Phil!" like if they haden't just met...

ratracer

Barcik, did you get any message? I know that several games (mine also had one once) had crashes related to the MP3 player...
Joacim
Spoiler

You should have the key - the replica - you took from the museum, to use in the little (not that easy to see) key hole next to the door of the warehouse
[close]
Dorcan
1. Yes, that would be logical, but now it's too much trouble to refix that.
2. I know now what you meant. I'll change that...

Nostradamus

help!

Spoiler
I took the photo from the police and showed it to Malz. Apart from some info I got nothing. Also got the wax. What do I do next?
[close]

Barcik

Spoiler
Go to the 10th floor of the Newspaper bulding and take a look at the books.
[close]

Ratracer, I did get some AGS crush message, but I don't remember what it said.

ratracer

Nostradamus
Spoiler

don't forget to LOOK at the photo...
[close]

Barcik, I assume that after you got the crash, once restored it played right again... I'm changing the music of the hall, hoping that's the culprit....

Nostradamus

help:

Spoiler
Got the translation from the book, talked to Colin, written the scribings from the green photo downstairs at the newspaper room. But I can't translate it with the book (clicking the notebook on it doens't work). What do I do now?
[close]

Barcik

Spoiler

Try the computer
[close]

Joacim Andersson

I'm stucked again...
Spoiler
I've found my way into the lab at the docks and I've got the note about Crusoe, what todo next?
[close]

ratracer

Joacim,
Spoiler

Check (LOOK) the books at the meeting room in the lab and then talk to Phil.
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Thanks ratracer, I've done that but...
Spoiler
All I've got is that "Above a sky is the truth that points to freedom. I also know that the Kafka collection of books might be helpfull... but not now.
[close]

ratracer

Spoiler

hehe, sorry - the Kafka is somewhat a red herring. You should go to the museum. Do you have the brochure yet? If not, you can get it at the meeting room in the museum... Then look at it...
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
I'm sorry that I keep on asking but I'm still stuck...
I've been to the museum, and I've got the message from the statue. I know from reading an earlier post in this thread that I'm supposed to enter the numbers from this note in the console. The only console I've found is the one in the lab but that doesn't allow me to enter anything so I must have missed something else...

Please give me a new hint...
[close]
Best regards,

Joacim

lspace

I don't know if this is a bug or not.

Spoiler
I am in the warehouse and have found the strange rod, odd rod and the thin rod.  According to the walkthru I am to use these on the replica strange key.  In close-up I can use the strange rod and odd rod with the key without problem.  But then if I use the thin rod on the key (after using the other two first)it says "that doesn't work".  If I use it first on the key or on the other two rods in inventory I get the same message.  The game will not allow me to leave the close-up of the key.  The only way I can get out is to restore my game.  Can you provide a step by step walk thru for this part in case I am doing something wrong.
[close]

rookworm3

Wow. This is really great. Reminds me of TLJ. Question:
Spoiler
I used the polish on the keys; what am I supposed to do to make the meetimg happen?
[close]

Dorcan

J Andersson :
Spoiler
You have missed an object in the museum obviously
[close]
Ispace :
Spoiler
In fact you must click in a specific part of the key.
[close]
Rookworm3 :
Spoiler
Nothing will happen before day 2. So you have to finish some things before.
[close]

Barcik

Argh, I always have the same problem with detective games - I don't know what to do next.

Spoiler
I got the 'edited' and original report, what now? Just tell me where to go, or what to concentrate on, don't tell me how to do it, please.
[close]

ratracer

Barcik,
Spoiler

you're in the most non-linear part of the game, so it's a bit difficult to know what are your next tasks... did you manage to get a way to go to the 11th floor?  
[close]
Joacim
Spoiler

you probably don't have put "something" in the machine...
[close]
lspace
If you must restore, there's indeed a bug. However, I knew that one from previous versions of the game, and it's supposedly corrected. Which version (which executable) are you playing? TUMv1 or TUMv11? If TUMv11  the problem remains: exit hotspot disappears - I reviewed the script, it looked fine (it works - ie the exit hotspot is there - MOST of the times) and rescripted for version TUMv11 to make it more reliable, but it seems it may not work 100% of the time, I have no idea why...
anyway
Spoiler

if you put the three pieces in the right order and right places, it should leave the close-up fine...
[close]
rookworm3
Spoiler

as Dorcan says: after you do all your tasks for day 1, day2 will eventually come
[close]

Barcik

I am still stuck....  :(

Spoiler
Where do I find the code? Is it 1307?
[close]

Igor

I'm just playing it and so far i love it :) Really nice graphics & ambient sounds, interesting story and great puzzles! The atmosphere somehow reminds me on Broken Sword.
Great work!

Spyros

>:( I started downloading version 1.1, I had downloaded 9MB and now the file is gone  ???
I really want to play it

rookworm3

okay, thanks.
Spoiler
Alright, now I apparently have to get some leads as to who is the kidnapper. The ashtray leads me to suspect Peter, although I am not sure how to get that info into the game.
[close]

lspace

lspace
If you must restore, there's indeed a bug. However, I knew that one from previous versions of the game, and it's supposedly corrected. Which version (which executable) are you playing? TUMv1 or TUMv11? If TUMv11  the problem remains: exit hotspot disappears - I reviewed the script, it looked fine (it works - ie the exit hotspot is there - MOST of the times) and rescripted for version TUMv11 to make it more reliable, but it seems it may not work 100% of the time, I have no idea why...
anyway

I managed to solve the puzzle, thanks to your hint as to order etc.

I am playing the TUMv11 version and previously when I was in close-up of the key the exit icon was there but when I clicked on it, it would just fade away and not let me back out to the game.

ratracer

lspace, it seems that part is still a bit wobly, I'll recheck it once again and if I get the problem solved I'll reload an updated code.

Barcik
Spoiler

You cannot know the code! All you can do is find a way to know which keys are pressed when the right code is input. When you get to day 2, you'll be able to know (if you do the right thing) which those keys are, and then it will be simple trial and error.
[close]

rookworm3
Spoiler

you're close to going to day1, you still have to find something more. Did you get everything you can from the police? Did you check everything in the newsroom?
[close]

Igor, thanks a lot - Broken Sword is one of my favorite games, so being able to make you recall BS means a lot!!!

Spyros, I don't know what's wrong. When you download does it says it will only download 9mb? Anyway, check directly:
http://www.fbc-bettendorf.com/ratracer/

rookworm3

Spoiler

I have the cigarette; I quizzed Madji on Obero, and I have tried clicking on practically every spot I could find at every location. I am totally at a loss as to what I should do. Anyway, sorry for being a pest.
[close]

Dorcan

Spoiler
There is one more cigarette to find, somewhere in the 11th floor
[close]

Spyros

No, I use flash get to download the game , so I had downloaded 9MB the last few days. Now the download can't continue because it seems that the file has disappeared.

Barcik

Spoiler
I'm stuck in the dark room in the warehouse...
[close]

ratracer

Barcik,
Spoiler

turn on the light! - check all "?" (there are 3 of them); the switch somewhat in the center of the screen, a bit to the left.
[close]

Spyros,
I assume you started downloading  some days ago. That may be it, since I upload a new (with minor touches, and geting rid of the dead end Goldmund mentioned) TUMv11.zip overwriting the old TUMv11.zip. If that's the case you might have to start again... sorry!  

rookworm3
Spoiler

in total you'll find 2 cigarettes and have to check (LOOK) the smoking ashtray at the newsroom.
[close]

Barcik

Spoiler
In what form do I need to put in the final coordinates (in the end of the game)?

Bug: When trying to load the computer screen while on the console screen. Might be with all zoom items.
[close]

ratracer

Barcik
Spoiler

the coordinates are all numbers (without spaces or characters - ie. "X" is substituted by any number -  in between)
[close]

I don't understand the bug: do you mean it crashes? or reaching for the laptop when in the console zoom view?

Barcik

It means that I see the computer and this little white thingy which implies where the text is going to be written. I can't do anything with the computer, and when I press enter I get an error about background frames.

Barcik

I finished it and it's great! Expect a review in the AGDZine soon.

ratracer

Thanks Barcik,
Also I'll check that bug out coz that's totally unexpected!!!

sela

???Dear Ratracer,  I am in day2.  I can get to the warehouse 65-A but not inside.  At the museum I have the brochure and can get the strange key.  I figure I need to make a copy of the key.  I tried the resin with the key--no good.  Is there a place to get wax for a form?  I have been stuck for a couple of days at this spot.  I do have version 11.  Help Please!!

Barcik

Spoiler

Indeed there is. Go to the artists' garden, and look at the board by the statue.
[close]

Sela

thanks found it. it was hard to see.

Goldmund

BTW, Eduardo, are there more than 3 endings? I think you can tell us by now.

rokkinrobins

STUCK
Spoiler
I'm stuck, when i finish making the key in the warehouse, the character goes to the center of the screen, i can use the key on the panel and have the box moved to show the hidden passage, but it won't let me go down the steps. what do i do?
[close]

Dorcan

rokkinrobins, you are playing with the bugged version. You can find a savegame here : http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=4737

ratracer

Huh, no, Goldmund, there are only 3 endings - unless you count a crash as an ending :)

Thanks, Dorcan and Barcik for those hint replies...

Sela

I can't do anything with the brochure  in the museum and therefore don't know where the statue is

ratracer

Sela,
Spoiler

did you check LOOK (all) the books (at the meeting room at the lab)? did you talk to Phil - after checking the books?
[close]

Spud

Quote from: Nostradamus on Thu 13/03/2003 18:40:47
Great game so far. Detective games are cool.

Need help:
Spoiler
can't figure out how to get the photo from the policeman so I can give it to to the artist. SO how do I get the photo?
[close]

rokkinrobins

okay well how do you work the download or upload of the save game, my brother may be the computer genious. but i'm not. and if those of you who don't know, my brother is MillsJross. i should have said earlier. i would call him to tell me how to work it, but i hate talking ot him over the phone, he's not much help. i'm better at reading how to work things

Nostradamus

help!  I think this is a bug:

Spoiler
After I talkwith Madji I'm supposed to look at caribbean picture, get out of the office and use the cell phone to prank call the police. BUt hwen I do that it says that I must do it in police precint, when I AM in the police building!
[close]

RickJ

Spud:  To get the picture you must
Spoiler
stand behind column, and throw stone at the clerks window
[close]

Nostradamus

Hey what about my problem?
Ratracer?
Anyone?

If this can't be fixed can anyone send me a save file after you make the phone call (PM me)

ratracer

I've been out a few days...

Nostradamus: ok, that's strange! Did you try getting out the police preccint and in again?
Anyway, you'd better send me (ratracer@sapo.pt) your savegame because you're a the nonlinear part of the game.

Rokkin,
I guess you're playing TUMv1. exe (instead of TUMv11.exe) . To get the savegame it should be enough to click here:
http://www.fbc-bettendorf.com/ratracer/savegame.zip
then unzip it to the game folder

Nostradamus

Yeah I tryed that Ratracer, it didn't work!

I have E-Mailed you my savegame

ratracer

Nostradamus, check your email

Nostradamus

Thanks, I used that.

However I came across another bug:
Spoiler
I found both cigarettes. When I exit a screen she says she's ready to call it a day but need to figure things out and the cigarettes are the main clue. I looked at both, and tryed to use them on each other. Still same thing. According to the walkthrough she's supposed to realize whose cigarettes they were automatically once I have both cigarettes. But she doesn't. Now what?
[close]

ratracer

Nostradamus,
that's not a bug...
Spoiler

you should LOOK at the (smoking) ashtray in the newsroom
[close]

Monkeyman1138

Please may I have the walkthrough.sned it to my email at monkeyman1138@hotmail.com
Thanks.

Nostradamus

AGA

There's no Uncertainty Machine walkthrough up yet. I think you said you had one written, right, ratracer? If you don't mind it being released, email it to me at aga@agagames.com ...

Jimi

I think a walkthru is a GREAT idea. I am mainly posting to get this thread to 100 replys!

AGA

Don't post anywhere just to increase the post count, Jimi. Bandwidth is a big issue on these forums. Unless you have something worthwhile to say, don't post :)

ratracer

Huh!? I've put a walkthru already at AGA's wt page as Nostradamus said...
it's there since 11-03

AGA

ah, sorry :p I thought you were linking to the other walkthroughs site I manage :) My mistake :p

Neole

WHEEEEEE!!! You released it! I thought you were never gonna do it!! Told you everyone was gonna love it! Now if they only introduce a best betatester category at the next AGS awards..

I'm gonna get the final version soon and play it through again, just to see if you've done anything with the music/sounds - the silence was really overwhelming in the betas! Did you make any other major changes besides bug fixing?

ratracer

Neole,
If I recall right there are no major changes (I think no changes at all), unfortunately to music or sounds!!! I am still waiting for the new music score...

Neole

Who are you waiting the music score for from? (I'm quite sure that's grammatically wrong but have no idea how to correct it)

ratracer

A friend of mine - he's not an AGSer....

Nostradamus

OK Ratracer, I finished the game and now my opinion.

I want to say that this is an excellent game. It shows that you put a lot of oyur time & effot into it. It's got that professional game feeling that so few other AGS games have, only ones I can think about are Pleurghburgh, KQ1 & KQ2 VGA and Night of the Hermit.
It will definitely win some prizes at the 2003 AGS awards. I will definitely be looking to your next game(s).
I loved our attention to detail, what many AGSers don't do. Detail in backgrouns and items, detail in story & consistency, detail in conversations. You made a really big & twisted story but made sense with a lot of sophisticated stuff. The entire ABOVE THE SKY LIES THE TRUTH thing & the puzzles & story around it was amazing. Real pro stuff. I liked how Susan changed her clothes in the second day. I liked the philosophy around the machine and the multiple endings. Thumbs way waaaaay up. I liked the cool notebook, note s& laptop. As you said the characters weren't deep we didn't get to really know them, there could be more about them but the importnat stuff were there. The rest if just bonus but not essential. My only advice to you is to try and make it more dramatic when surprsiing plot twists happen. It's not easy but think about it.
Kudos for the great game, cheers and I hope to see more games from you. When do you think your next game will be out?

Oh, one question:
Spoiler
In the ending option where you check the device and get the numbers to use in the machine, is there numbers you put instead of the "x" that take you to a different universe or does it always end in the room becoming strange black & white?  If so, what numbers do you put there?
[close]

Dave Gilbert

Hello!

So I was sick and home from work today, and finally decided to download this game and give it a go.  I spent the whole day playing it and, having consulted the walkthrough only three times, solved it.  Here are my comments while they are still fresh.

In a word: wonderful! As the other folks said on this thread, the beautiful backgrounds and the major attention to detail showed that a lot of time and effort went into it, something most AGS games lack.  The notebook was a nice touch, the laptop was an even cooler touch.  I was hoping that the laptop would be used more in the game (like that one email Susan received), but that's not a big deal.  It was also cool that Susan changed clothes on the second day.  Her black miniskirt wasn't the most practical adventurer-wear, but it was certainly nice to look at!  ;)

My only real beef with the game was something you mention already: that the characters weren't that developed.  I had no reason to care for Susan,  or Phil or Colin because I knew very little about them.  Also, the background info sort of fell by the wayside.  You started out describing this wonderful political dynamic - that of the "off limits" people, etc... but then it's not mentioned again until the very end of the game when I'd forgotten all about it.  It would have been interesting if you could see the effects of the "Divide" throughout the whole course of the game, which would make the Big Choice at the end that much more meaningful.  

But don't get me wrong, I loved this game.  I'm just a big advocate of characters and atmosphere and tend to be very picky in that area.  Maybe too picky.  :)    As I said, the game was wonderful.  Four thumbs waay up.  

Cheers,

ratracer

thanks, nostradamus and dave...

thanks for your positive words and you got the criticism right: I totally agree... the characters weren't well developed, in fact, they weren't developed at all (I though about giving Susan a personality, but I was already in the middle of the development then)... same story for the background plot: the Divide. I introduced it (with the grafitties and some comentaries in the dialogs) pretty near the end of the development - it shows too much that it was forced in...

once again, thanks!

auhsor

Just finished downloading. Cant wait to play

ratracer

I forgot your question, Nostradamus: yeah, whatever the numbers you substitute the X for it will always give the same black location - a bit of lazyness on my part...

Timosity

hey ratracer, I finally got round to playing the game, I've only just started.

Looks pretty good, haven't got very far yet, not even the elevator, and I noticed there is a newer version with less bugs, I d/l it when it first came out but forgot about it until now.

I'm not d/l the newer version until next month cause I've got to spare my precious bandwidth, but is it possible to finish without the new version?

GarageGothic

Hi Ratracer. Congratulations on creating a great game. I got it yesterday (would have downloaded it sooner if not for the file size), and played it all through the evening. It's right up there with Pleurgburg (or however you spell that awful name :)) only with nicer art.

I have a few thoughts on it though, some of it criticism, some of it... well, just things I noticed while playing. I don't expect you to change anything in the game, but maybe you can keep it in mind for your next game. I'll put them all as spoiler text not to reveal anything during my ramblings:

Spoiler
First of all, the puzzle with the coordinates at the end. A lot of people seem to have trouble with those, and that was also the only time I got really stuck. See, to me coordinates aren't just a series of numbers, there are at least two of them (x and y, longitude and latitude) and perhaps as much as four or five when we're talking other dimensions. Anyway,  I think people get stuck because they don't expect it to be just one long number. Maybe you could just put a "format of entry: XXXXXXXXX" or something similar along with the "enter coordinates" prompt.
And on those lines, here comes the random thoughts: Because I was having trouble with the coordinates, I started thinking that they might be real world coordinates (might as well be real world coordinates as years, couldn't they? neither seems to make too much sense unless the scientist put the museum sign up himself). The Sea Encyclopedia was a real red herring. Especially since you put it in the office as well as the lab, and had the player character comment that she didn't know what to look for, at least not right now. I kept thinking that I should found out were the actual Robinson Crusoe island was and find it on a map, or maybe find the coordinates for the place where the freedom statue was found. But now that Phil was gone and I couldn't find a copy of Robinson Crusoe, I just resorted to entering the numbers in any combination and finally found the straight ahead answer.
Speaking of Phil, I know that you've admitted that there's not much characterization of any of the NPCs. But especially Phil struck me as odd. He was just this know-it-all info-machine of a man, standing around, waiting to help you. I really expected him to turn out to be the master villain, because he was just TOO friendly and helpful, never asking for anything in return. Maybe you could have used your laptop and the books in the office more, like you did in the beginning, instead of letting Phil know so much. And while I remember - the laptop and the notepad carried pretty much the same function - sometimes notes got added to the pad, sometimes they got added to the computer. The notepad wasn't used much either, for the largest part of the game it contained only two pages of notes. If not for the need to draw the symbols by hand, it could have been eliminated.
It would have been nice to actually meet Peter earlier in the game. His cigarette was always there, smoking away, but he was never to be seen. It's a major flaw in many games, that you never get to meet the badguys before your final confrontation with them, but especially seeing as Peter was a mole within the office, he should have been presented as a nice guy first.
The architecture was cool, futuristic in a modernist sort of way. Reminded me of Truffauts Fahrenheit 451. I'm not so sure that Le Corbusier would be happy that you turned his Villa Savoye into a warehouse though :)

The puzzles were - in one word - GREAT. Very logical, not too easy and not too hard. I got really stuck only two times (first one when I failed to find the cigarette in the vase on 11th floor, second, as I said, with the coordinates). And the vase made sense when I retraced my steps and read her comment about the other cigarettes. I really liked the nailpolish puzzle, but now I'll have to rethink my own game - I had a VERY similar puzzle with a keypad in mind. I thought the whole thing with the symbols on the painting and all that was a bit contrived (maybe there's part of the plot I didn't get, but why would they even think of hiding the filter in the newspaper building?) but I suppose that's the kind of stuff people DO in adventure games. I wouldn't cry if there wasn't a single puzzle with translations of strange symbols ever again though. Maybe because it reminds me of the glory days of copy protections :) (KQ5, KQ6, Indy3 etc. etc.). Although I supposed it worked quite well in GK1 (if only because of a good interface, and that you actually had to compose a message while filling in the blanks yourself).
What else is there to say? It was a thrilling ride playing it. Just like being back in the good old days. I'm really looking forward to your next project, especially if you spend more time on the characters. The story and the whole philosophical aspect was fascinating. I think I'll replay the game just to make sure that I understood it all.
Finishing off, a single question: You find two keys on Peter, but lose them both after finding Colin. What is the second one for? The P.O. Box?
[close]

Thanks for a great gaming experience!

ratracer

GarageGothic:

Thanks for all the praise and criticism. Especially comparing it with Pleurburg, which is one of the all time best...

THe last puzzle was supposed to have a lot more hints, but then I though most of the puzzles were very easy (it's hard to judge since you know the answer beforehand) and took the hints out to make it more taxing... Maybe I'm overreacted.

You got the origin of the warehouse!!! Pete's and the vice-consul's homes were also adaptations...  Ditto the 11th floor access panel puzzle, a toned down version of a puzzle from Runaway.... If you go thru Jessica Blandy's first book will also find some pictures where I got "inspiration" from. Maybe I should have credited Renaud for that.

I am a bit surprised that many of you liked the puzzles, since I hadn't a clue how effective they were...

Timosity:

If you have executable TUMv11.exe then you are fine - they might be some bugs, but none impossible to overcome (some ressorting to a savegame). I've uploaded two days ago, a revised version - it's still called TUMv11.exe -  correcting one or two of those.
If you have a previous version (TUMv1.exe I think) I will have to download the savegame when Susan gets out of place (in a non walkable area) in the last quarter of the game. You can get the savegame from
www.fbc-bettendorf.com/ratracer/savegame.zip

Timosity

I haven't played it since i started but I have version TUMv1.exe but I can download the latest version, since it's a new month.

thanks for the info ratracer

Nellie

I thought I'd better bump this as the excellent Quandary site recently put up this review.

Congrats, Ratracer.  :)

Minimi

I am pretty late with this reaction, and I already finished the game twice, and im planning on playing it again, because the game is just awesome!! If you'd putted some voices in it, I would have payed for the game for sure!

Nostrum

I can't seem to find any way to save my game...

Czar

I love the game, i can definetly see Broken Sword elements, tho i just downloaded it today.
The only difference i could notice for now, between TUM and BS is that TUM has less parts in the animations... But i dont mind that cause other elements cover that up.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

ratracer

f9 should get you a save/restore etc menu...

(In the meantime I tested it once on a wireless keyboard and F9 didn't work... F1 did - anyone had this?)

Potch

Stuck in the dark room... can only find two ? hot spots. :-(
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk