The Uncertainty Machine

Started by ratracer, Mon 10/03/2003 10:12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

remixor

I can't figure out what to do after
Spoiler
I opened the panel with the screwdriver and created the insulated wire.  She says she needs to attach the wire with something but I don't know what.  I tried the resin but it doesn't do anything.  That seemed the most logical choice, then I tried all the other inventory items too.
[close]
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Dorcan

Spoiler
look in the trash-bin
[close]

RickJ

Congratulation Rat!!!!  Whawhooooooosie!!

MillsJROSS

I've played around with it some, and so far so good. It's getting a little more compelling as I go along.

I'm a bit stuck though

Spoiler
I'm trying to find the code up at the 11th floor. I thought I might find something in the drawer underneath Colins tank, but since I haven't been able to open it, I haven't been able to get it. I'm also looking for numbers, because the message implies that I might get numbers in which to rearange them and figure it out. I can't find a number anywhere, and I've been looking everywhere.
[close]

I did find a bug in the begining...

Spoiler
I was figuring out how to get the lift to open and I talked to the security guard and told him I already had opened it, when I hadn't already opened it.
[close]

I'll edit this post as I delve deeper into your game, good job from what I've seen, though.

-MillsJROSS

Duzz

I love this game, the developing plot is really absorbing, a real page turner =) great puzzles and graphics too.
But I am also stuck in the same place as dorcan due to that bug =(
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

ratracer

Darn!!!!
I thought I took care of those bugs!!!! (And the critical one is a new bug!!!!)
I guess- for the time being - I'll prepare a savegame just after the point where you are stuck due to the bug when zooming the key....
I'll also correct the game and upload a new version....
I'll post it when I have it available for download...

MillsJROSS:
Spoiler

Hint: This puzzle was a rip-off from Runaway... You cannot know the code: You can only know which numbers compose the code. After that, it will be simple trial and error. So you'll have to find a way to discover which keys are pressed - hope this helps as a starting point. If you'll still stuck I'll post the solution later on
[close]

EDIT: New version (TUMv11.exe,---) available for download...

ratracer

I uploaded a savegame (for the bugged version TUMv1.exe) to be downloadable at

http://www.fbc-bettendorf.com/ratracer/savegame.zip

The bug is highly noticeable. It occurs close to the final part of the game - inside a warehouse. After exiting the zoom of a key , Susan will be placed too high on the screen - she won't have her feet in the ground so she can't move. Restoring this savegame will present you no troubles: that part of the game is fairly linear, so only the odd inventory object may be different from the part where you get the bug.

danny*

Eduardo,..what can i say but....I love it!!!! :o
Fantastic atmosphere ,and a great looking scenario!!
I've just started playing (i got it today),....so i'll post some more later on....
thank you!!
:D :D :D :o

Matt Brown

sorry rat!!! I really screwed up, as far asd being a tester went. DOH!

btw...I'll soon have an AHS file ready...those are harder to write then I thought
word up

Dorcan

Argh, I'm stuck !!
Spoiler
How can I find the coordinate numbers I have to enter in the console ? I just need a little clue ! I tried with the numbers I found with the statue description (1945, 15, 288, etc) and I also tried to find a code in Art Mathus' message, but without success.
[close]

ratracer

Boy, Dorcan, you're quick! Also, I'm glad the savegame worked...

Spoiler

You got the coordinates right 194515288 (to get the machine working first time). I guess you also have the new filter on the machine. It's supposed to be working now... Does the console say wrong coordinates even with that code? (I didn't mess with that part of the script!!!)
[close]

And MrPanda, that bug that Dorcan got was me screwing up, coz I changed a bit on the script after betatesting...

Thanks, Danny, I'm glad you're enjoying it!!!!

Dorcan

Oh mY! I don't understand ! I thought I tried that ! Thanks! Now I can continue  ;D

emirovski

19 MB is too big to download from a dial-up connection...

Dorcan

You just have to download this excellent game during the night.
And 19Mo would take...what...only 70 minutes!

Matt Brown

aaaawwwww man! You spelled my name wrong! my name is matthEW not Matthem! It's okay though.
word up

ratracer

Aw, sorry MrPanda! I knew your name is Matthew,  just stupid mispelling... Anyway, it's not much work to correct it and upload again...

And thanks, Dorcan!

Nostradamus

Great game so far. Detective games are cool.

Need help:
Spoiler
can't figure out how to get the photo from the policeman so I can give it to to the artist. SO how do I get the photo?
[close]

Dorcan

I finished the game yesterday, tried the 3 different endings (great great great), and I must say that I absolutely loved it !

Graphically, it's splendid. Although there were some anatomy mistakes, I really liked the characters design & style! Background architecture & colors also impressed me.

The puzzle were as hard as I like, cause there were a lot of them, and they weren't to much difficult. (I finished this game in something like 280 minutes...Wow! About 5 hours!)

And the story...Oh my! I like science-fiction stories (and I also like a lot Philip K Dick novels). I really appreciate when we can listen to somebody who's explaining scientific things.  ;D

May I now make some critics ? :)
Spoiler

-I think it would be better if we could interrupt cut-scenes, cause I hate having to wait until the title animation finish everytime I launch the game.
-When we chose a dialog option, this one should be turned off until next time.
-F9 for the menu isn't practicall in my opinion. ESC would be better.
-Change the music in the newspaper hall entrance!!!! It hurts my ears!
-I first thought that the coordinate we have to enter should be typed like this: "1945 15 288". It would be very helpful if the game accepts the code even with spaces between numbers.
[close]

Minor "bugs":
Spoiler

- There are some walkable area missing in the museum entrance hall (at the bottom of the screen)
- When a file is added or edited in the laptop after having chosen a dialog option, if we re-click on the same option, the "Doc added in laptop" appears again.
- After having rescued Collin, later in the game, when we speak with Phil, the conversation always begins with "-You did very good detective work[...]" and after that: "-Hi phil! -Hi susan.".
- I think Peter's cigarette should stop "smoking" in day 2.
- When we are in the other dimension, we don't have anymore objects. Ok. But when we got the device from Art, it isn't displayed in the inventory. We have to clic on the left button some times to see the object (light). The inventory should be updated everytime we lose an object I think.
[close]

Ok, I tell you again : This was an excellent game !  ;D
Thanks

Goldmund

Finished!
Eduardo, it seems that I can't congratulate you enough!
It is definitely way on the top of independent games.
It was well worth the wait.
I said it before, but I absolutely love the comic-like appearance of backgrounds and I was slightly sad to see them dissapear by the end of the game, although the 3d ones were of course very good. It's just they didn't have the same unique atmosphere.
What can I say - there aren't many commercial games so involving as the UM.
All the endings are terryfying and leave player wondering, which is great. Amazing atmosphere to them.
I missed to see what is Susan's apartment like, something from her more intimate side - but it's just me, he he.
You didn't really use the artist's park - did you plan something more there? With the painter etc.?
As a sci-fi detective game - it's amazing, and it's incredible how you make the player wonder what will happen next and what is the explanation of all this. Especially when all the stuff with paintings begins, the game acquires this eerie paranoid atmosphere.
I loved the museum puzzle, when you-know-what happened to reveal what is freedom - it was great.
The plot idea was also very unique.
Puzzles were logical and well-placed: they were sometimes hard, but not hard enough to make me ask for hints.
All in all, you should work in the business. But we could expect that from the maker of Dentist Quest.
I think that you should keep some place on your virtual shelves come the next AGS awards.
The funny thing is that I have some similar puzzles and technical ideas in Donna - but I don't despair, as my story and atmosphere is quite different.
Anyway - good, good job. It must've been lots of effort.

now, for the SERIOUS BUG that leaves a player in dead-end situation:
Spoiler

When you write down the coordinates from the statue and then talk to phil again, the laptop doc gets updated and you loose the numbers from the museum without the chance of getting back there!
[close]

edit:
IMPORTANTE!
Ratracer, I think should enclose the winsetup file. The game ran very slow on my home computer, so I jury-rigged the winsetup from another AGS game with UltraEdit32. When I set up the sprite cache in advanced options to maximum, it ran much faster.

RickJ

Hey Rat,

On your website you said ...
Quote...But anyway, soon enough, our heroin will become into possession of...
I think you meant heroine not heroin.  :)  

heroine - female hero to make you safe

herion   - drugs to make you high

Don't you hate spelling errors...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk