The Uncertainty Machine

Started by ratracer, Mon 10/03/2003 10:12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

ratracer

Nostradamus:
Spoiler

You have to hide behind the pillar and use the stone on the (left) window
[close]

RickJ: heroin! haha! sorry, bad mistake! Somehow, I find it funny enough not to change it! But I will!

Dorcan and Goldmund: thanks a lot for all your praise - although I think you are exagerating! I myself was satisfied as the plot come out (since I wrote the story as I was scripting and drawing the game), but there are still many, many glitches, many "strange" animations, and some "holes" in the story, the characters have no real personality, etc,etc.... But thanks again, and I loved that you liked it. I was very unsure about the puzzles easiness - I wanted to make a non-difficult game, but not that easy - it seems I got it more or less as I wanted...

Also, thanks for the comments and  suggestions:

Goldmund:
1. the dead end you mention was something I didn't know - that one I have to correct!
2. The absence of winsetup: the game was compiled under AGS 2.54beta1 (it had to,since AGS 2.53 had 2 bugs that created problems in the game) and it doesn't produce winsetup!? I'll wait for the 2.54 release version to recompile again...
3. Using 3D was just experimenting. I was learning (I still am) using 3D tools. I didn't have any idea on how the machine would be, so I tried to draw it in 3D... in the end, I decided to let all be in 3D...
It's an amateur game, so I have this artistic freedom!

Dorcan:
1. The topics of dialog being left off or not: I had a hard time deciding what to do. I'd prefer that once the topic was selected it wouldn't appear again, but some players prefer the topic to be there in case they didn't read the lines of dialog the first time...
2. Interrupting cut scenes - you're right. I tried the new interrupting cut scenes command script, but for some reason I couldn't get them right, so I left it as it is...
3. F9 or ESCsc? I had ESC as the key to call the menu: some people didn't like it... so I changed to a innoquous (but a bit unusual, as you refer) F9.
4. Yeah the music: I'm surprised no one mentioned the music, since I wasn't very happy with the quality of sound or the "placement" in the rooms - I'll try to resample the music again, but sometimes it plays well in Winamp and bad in the game, and vice-versa, so it's a bit of a juggling act... A "new" version will have a new music score...
5. I'll recheck the walkable areas...
6. The "doc added in laptop" labels are something that I knew some were repeating. I don't know if I have the will to go back to the script again and correct those...
7. The "-..." in dialogs are strange!? - I never noticed them: I'll see why that happens!!?
8.  the inventory object not appering is a bug that happens only once in 10 or 20 times - so far, I think only I had that thing... I may go again to Chris and ask him about it, but it's very difficult to replicate it...
9. The cigarette in day 2: once again you're right, but it's too much trouble to go again and change that. You're right, but I'm too lazy on this one!

Once again, thanks!!!

Ahem! Wouldn't you mind going to the games page and vote?

Joacim Andersson

I'm totally stucked and would appreciate a hint...
Spoiler
I've made a copy of the key found in the museum but I don't know what to do with it yet.
I know I'm supposed to visit the museum somehow but currently I've only been able to go to the staff room.
Please give me some hint on what to do next...
[close]
I've also noticed some strange behaviour in the game. Nothing serious but I though I should mention them...
Spoiler
After I had opened the post-box and returned the key to the man outside I tried to put back the suit in the hole but got a message that I still need it. I then tried to leave the screen and instantly got the message that the suit should be returned first.
Also the butler keeps saying "The vice-consul is not at the moment" which makes me think "is not what?"...
[close]
Apart from that I think it's a great game, I really enjoy playing it.

ratracer

Joacim,
Spoiler

You'll only be able to visit the museum later... (only after using that key)...
Have you read tuesday's paper? Have you visited the administration meeting room? Have you talked to Phil in day 2?
[close]

And, unfortunately, the game has some glitches of the kind you mention. Some of them are worse than those...
I'll try to repair most for an updated version...

Barcik

Bug:
Spoiler
MMmmm... I was walking around the second room (Newspaper building) for the first time (at the beginning of the game), somewhere around the center of the screen, and suddenly it crushed!
[close]
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Joacim Andersson

Ratracer:
Spoiler
Yes I've been to the administration meeting room and I think I've got everything from there. I've also talked to Phil and read the paper, I've found the way to the dock but I can't enter it since it's locked. I've also got Peters address and i've rescued the editor. A strange thing is that when I searched Peter I found two keys, but after I've opened the second door and was moved back to the office I lost both of them...
[close]

Dorcan

Quote1. The topics of dialog being left off or not: I had a hard time deciding what to do. I'd prefer that once the topic was selected it wouldn't appear again, but some players prefer the topic to be there in case they didn't read the lines of dialog the first time...
Yes of course we should be able to ask again the same question, but I think they should be turned off in a conversation, and then turned on the next time we talk to the same person.

Quote7. The "-..." in dialogs are strange!? - I never noticed them: I'll see why that happens!!?
Lol in fact there aren't any "-...". I just wanted to say that when we click on phil, there is a little "intro", and then the dialog start with "Hi Phil!" like if they haden't just met...

ratracer

Barcik, did you get any message? I know that several games (mine also had one once) had crashes related to the MP3 player...
Joacim
Spoiler

You should have the key - the replica - you took from the museum, to use in the little (not that easy to see) key hole next to the door of the warehouse
[close]
Dorcan
1. Yes, that would be logical, but now it's too much trouble to refix that.
2. I know now what you meant. I'll change that...

Nostradamus

help!

Spoiler
I took the photo from the police and showed it to Malz. Apart from some info I got nothing. Also got the wax. What do I do next?
[close]

Barcik

Spoiler
Go to the 10th floor of the Newspaper bulding and take a look at the books.
[close]

Ratracer, I did get some AGS crush message, but I don't remember what it said.

ratracer

Nostradamus
Spoiler

don't forget to LOOK at the photo...
[close]

Barcik, I assume that after you got the crash, once restored it played right again... I'm changing the music of the hall, hoping that's the culprit....

Nostradamus

help:

Spoiler
Got the translation from the book, talked to Colin, written the scribings from the green photo downstairs at the newspaper room. But I can't translate it with the book (clicking the notebook on it doens't work). What do I do now?
[close]

Barcik

Spoiler

Try the computer
[close]

Joacim Andersson

I'm stucked again...
Spoiler
I've found my way into the lab at the docks and I've got the note about Crusoe, what todo next?
[close]

ratracer

Joacim,
Spoiler

Check (LOOK) the books at the meeting room in the lab and then talk to Phil.
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Thanks ratracer, I've done that but...
Spoiler
All I've got is that "Above a sky is the truth that points to freedom. I also know that the Kafka collection of books might be helpfull... but not now.
[close]

ratracer

Spoiler

hehe, sorry - the Kafka is somewhat a red herring. You should go to the museum. Do you have the brochure yet? If not, you can get it at the meeting room in the museum... Then look at it...
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
I'm sorry that I keep on asking but I'm still stuck...
I've been to the museum, and I've got the message from the statue. I know from reading an earlier post in this thread that I'm supposed to enter the numbers from this note in the console. The only console I've found is the one in the lab but that doesn't allow me to enter anything so I must have missed something else...

Please give me a new hint...
[close]
Best regards,

Joacim

lspace

I don't know if this is a bug or not.

Spoiler
I am in the warehouse and have found the strange rod, odd rod and the thin rod.  According to the walkthru I am to use these on the replica strange key.  In close-up I can use the strange rod and odd rod with the key without problem.  But then if I use the thin rod on the key (after using the other two first)it says "that doesn't work".  If I use it first on the key or on the other two rods in inventory I get the same message.  The game will not allow me to leave the close-up of the key.  The only way I can get out is to restore my game.  Can you provide a step by step walk thru for this part in case I am doing something wrong.
[close]

rookworm3

Wow. This is really great. Reminds me of TLJ. Question:
Spoiler
I used the polish on the keys; what am I supposed to do to make the meetimg happen?
[close]

Dorcan

J Andersson :
Spoiler
You have missed an object in the museum obviously
[close]
Ispace :
Spoiler
In fact you must click in a specific part of the key.
[close]
Rookworm3 :
Spoiler
Nothing will happen before day 2. So you have to finish some things before.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk