Background Blitz - a Gateway to ... - Winner Declared

Started by Misj', Wed 24/10/2012 14:02:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

a Gateway to ...
Background Blitz 24 October - 11 November

Many stories involve portals of some kind that transport people from one reality to another (like in the fairytale of Frau Holle (mother Hulda). These portals can come in all shapes and sizes. They may be of magical or of technological origin. They may be highly decorated or as humble as may be. But they all have one thing in common: they connect two worlds (or places, or times, or whatever).

The goal of this Blitz is to draw a portal between two clearly distinct* worlds**. The origin, size, shape, form and genre of the portal is all up to you. But there is one rule: something (no matter how much) of both connected worlds** has to be clearly visible in the image.

Other rules: AGS compatible.

voting will start the 12th of November.

Don't be shy to ask questions, and make sure you have fun drawing!

*  No, you're not allowed to have the portal start and end in the same room...but that's about the only limitation.
** World in the broadest possible definition of the word.

ThreeOhFour

Speedpainted this in ~1 hour. Still a bit rough, hopefully shows enough of the other world to satisfy the rules.

Misj'

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sat 27/10/2012 08:25:24...hopefully shows enough of the other world to satisfy the rules.
Since the rules are VARY lenient towards the amount of visible 'other world' (in my mind a single leaf would also fit the rules), I'd say it's a very nice entry and a good kickoff for this Blitz!

ps. And it's good to see you in a blitz again.

Anian

I'd like it better without things coming out, but here ya go:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/1O4Kt.png[/imgzoom]
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Misj'

Quote from: Anian on Sun 04/11/2012 22:56:55I'd like it better without things coming out, but here ya go:
I'm already glad you didn't say: light is something too ;)
I do find the 'spider-legs' add some additional scariness to light though.

I was gone for a few days and it's good to come back to another fine entry in this Blitz (yes, there will be voting involved*).

* Wait...voting? - that could ruin my unopposed third 'you got in the hall-of-fame' win that I planned for the next Blitz. That's not good. :)

Misj'

Last chance to join before voting (starts tomorrow)...unless someone requests an extension of course.

Misj'

It's time to vote.
(voting is open to anyone).

We have the usual categories:
Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a game background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.

You may elaborate on your choices, but that's optional.
I won't vote unless we have a tie.

Scaled down versions of the entries:
304:

Anian:

Voting ends Sunday

Anian

Ha, ha you have to vote Misj'!

Just kidding, I'm actually just anxious to see what the next round will be, so I might as well admit defeat and let Ben choose something as the new theme. Since he has more experience in making backgrounds anyway, I'm sure he can make a more interesting theme than me.
This was fun theme and originally I made something in 3d that I planned to paint over, but it turned out horrible, so I tried a new style, I'm semihappy with the result.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Misj'

Quote from: Anian on Mon 19/11/2012 19:10:25Ha, ha you have to vote Misj'!
:shocked:

Fortunately we have one vote: Anian voted Ben304...So that means Ben has the most votes, and is declared the winner.

I do like where both images were going (was hoping that someone would do a jack-and-the-beanstick style portal), and I would like to thank you both for participating!

Ben, take it away

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk