Can you solve this riddle?

Started by Renodox, Fri 09/11/2012 07:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Stupot

Spoiler
I think ‘blood and pastures' is red and green.
[close]
So...
Spoiler
Amber?
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 29/04/2018 23:56:02
Spoiler
I think ‘blood and pastures' is red and green.
[close]
So...
Spoiler
Amber?
[close]

Sounds like you already solved the riddle and are just giving hints now instead of the actual answer to "What are we?".

Congratulations though! You've obviously solved it so here are a few extra comments:

Spoiler
It's been suggested by psychologists that the reason we react best to the colour red as a danger signal is because it is the colour of blood which suggests personal injury and pain. And the reason we react with a feeling of safety to the colour green is because it suggests the security of high grasslands in some ancestoral memory built into our DNA from back when we came down out of the trees and started using the tall grass as a place to hide from pedators in. This was what the clue about "blood and pastures" meant in the riddle. Of course the "middle brother" is sometimes a "bother" because now we have to make a choice depending on how fast we are moving, what our current schedule is, if we want to spill the groceries over or not, and also if our choice will end well or with a camera taking our picture and a fine ensuing or worse...etc...
[close]

dayowlron

So the answer is
Spoiler
a traffic light.
[close]
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Stupot

I didn't actually think I'd solved it. I just thought I was onto something with the ‘blood and pastures' bit and was throwing it out there.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 30/04/2018 13:58:10
I didn't actually think I'd solved it. I just thought I was onto something with the ‘blood and pastures' bit and was throwing it out there.

Wow... But the exact colour you mentioned is so particular to the middle brother in the solution. When else does anyone say that colour's name?!

Anyway, dayowlron has said the exact solution and now I go away scratching my head about if it was come upon by a one in a million chance or if Stupot's brain is just somehow intrinsically linked with my own through the quantum mechanices of spooky action at a distance...

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

heh nice, I was really scratching my head with this one, but I would have thought for traffic lights red is the "bother"

Mandle

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Mon 30/04/2018 17:40:20
heh nice, I was really scratching my head with this one, but I would have thought for traffic lights red is the "bother"

Well, the riddle had to kind of rhyme and also include the middle brother.

For me, when I'm driving, the middle yellow light is the worst because it involves a choice. I only drive in Australia and there, if you are 1 meter over the line once it turns red, you get your car's license plate photo taken and a massive fine. So there are those rare cases where you are just exactly just far away enough and travelling at enough speed, even within the speed limit, that you have to make a sudden choice of hit the brakes and maybe get rear-ended or hit the accelerator and power through before you get snapped and fined...Quite stressful...

Kweepa

Nice puzzle!
The answer really 'clicks'.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Mandle

I thought up a new riddle structure perhaps:

A sentence that is split with a front end and back end both needing an ending word and a starting word to make sense.

Place a single word somewhere in the sentence so that it makes sense both ways:

An easy one to start with:

Arctic in the henhouse.

Riaise

It took a minute to work out what you meant, but I think I've got it.

Spoiler
Is it fox?

Arctic fox.
Fox in the henhouse.
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Riaise on Fri 08/06/2018 12:57:41
It took a minute to work out what you meant, but I think I've got it.

Spoiler
Is it fox?

Arctic fox.
Fox in the henhouse.
[close]

Yup! Well done... Trying to think of another one a bit more challenging.

CaptainD

Okay here's another easy one in the same vein:

Doctor dares wins

Stupot

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 08/06/2018 14:06:17
Okay here's another easy one in the same vein:

Doctor dares wins

Spoiler
Who
[close]

CaptainD

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 08/06/2018 14:19:47
Spoiler
Who
[close]
[/quote]

Spoiler
Who what?
[close]

You are of course correct.  Like Mandle, I'll see if I can come up with a more challenging one of these.

Mandle

CaptainD

Spoiler
Stand
[close]

Battle of sunset.

josiah1221

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 08/06/2018 16:27:52
Spoiler
Stand
[close]

Battle of sunset.

Spoiler
Midway?

Battle of Midway
Midway Sunset
[close]

Stupot

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 08/06/2018 16:27:52
Spoiler
Stand
[close]

Battle of sunset.
Spoiler
Waterloo
[close]

Fishtick

Stupot

No takers on the clue “fishtick”? It's basically the same format as the previous few but on a shorter scale.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk