Which version of AGS studio do you use to make games?

Started by Volcan, Tue 13/11/2012 15:03:58

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

The fact that more recent versions of AGS allow you to write code directly into the dialogs rather than using the run-script x and function dialog_request method overrides any other issue for me. It also has far superior sprite management controls - using the Assign to View function and being able to flip all the frames in a loop with 2 clicks, for example, are decent time savers. Then there's the Global Variables pane, which is a decent - if slightly lazy - way to create of all your global variables without needing to import them whenever you want to use them elsewhere, the much more organized audio system and advanced support for more modern screen resolutions. You can also view characters directly in rooms now, middle click to copy coordinates while still doing other tasks and you can rawdraw onto dynamic sprites.

These are all strong arguments for using the latest version of AGS. I cut my teeth on 2.70, and when 3.0 came out I was initially extremely reluctant to upgrade. I'd never go back to 2.72 now that I've gotten used to 3.2.1.

Radiant

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Mon 19/11/2012 12:42:12
It also has far superior sprite management controls - using the Assign to View function and being able to flip all the frames in a loop with 2 clicks, for example, are decent time savers.
2.7 already has those, though.

Otherwise, I'd be happy to switch to 3.2.1 as soon as somebody brings back my beloved keyboard shortcuts :)

ThreeOhFour

You can flip an entire loop in the view manager with a single click without having to re-use the "assign to view" function? To my knowledge that was only introduced in 3.2 (I know, for example, that 3.1.2 doesn't have it). I must have overlooked the Assign to View function when I was using 2.7, I guess!

Seriously, with all the people working on the editor at the moment, it should be child's play to request the addition of a couple of keyboard shortcuts and get someone to implement it. The upgrade is absolutely worth re-learning a few things.

Radiant

Thanks for pointing that out, I have been out of touch here. Could you tell me who to contact? Because I imagine the forum has too many bug threads and one ore would likely be overlooked.

ThreeOhFour

I'd say someone like tzachs or Wyz. I imagine (as somebody with no experience in doing this sort of thing :D) that compared to most of the requested additions to the editor, your shortcuts should be very simple to add.

I'd post your request in the Editor Development board. Even if it takes a while before somebody does it, more shortcuts are always useful.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Mon 19/11/2012 08:46:04
When I first discovered AGS there was version 2.72, I think. I didn't like it. The interaction editor felt clumsy and the handling inconvenient. However, there was already the news that there will be a completely new version. So I focused on story and graphics for my game and waited for 3.0.

Now I use 3.2.1. I love that it has the look and feel of Visual Studio and is most of the time easy to use.
Interesting, I had exactly same thoughts. I made some attempts to learn 2.72, and probably could use it, but at the time I lost interest. Later, when I checked AGS site again 3.0 was already released, and resembling MSVS so I could use it pretty intuitively.

I must agree about Tabs though. MSVS is mainly about editing text, but AGS isn't only that. There were numerous cases when I wished there was another way to switch between various editor components than looking for them on tabs line or one-for-all project tree.

Squinky

Was it 2.7 the last one before all the scripting changed? Well, whenever that was, it drove me away. I didn't feel like re-learning.

But now I am back, enough time has passed that I can start all over :)

Gilbert

Quote from: Squinky on Fri 23/11/2012 04:40:07
Was it 2.7 the last one before all the scripting changed?
v2.72 I think.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Squinky on Fri 23/11/2012 04:40:07
Was it 2.7 the last one before all the scripting changed? Well, whenever that was, it drove me away. I didn't feel like re-learning.

But now I am back, enough time has passed that I can start all over :)
You may turn "Enforce object-based scripting" off in the general settings, tha will allow you to use old 2.62 functions.

Squinky

Even in the newest version? Thats amazing. But I feel I need to get with the program.

Grim

I made my first game on AGS 2.7 and it was great for someone without any programming experience to learn the ropes and all that. When I started The Cat Lady I decided to try 3.2 and while much harder at first, it did open a whole new ocean of possibilities... After a day or two I totally fell in love with it. My favourite feature is being able to use the same script in dialgues- Ben has already mentioned that. It's invaluable. Now, you can have all sorts of stuff going on while characters talk. They don't have to just stand there anymore like they're stuck to the floor;) I know- it was probably always possible, but now it's just there and easy to use for someone like me!;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk