Show us your desk, baby.

Started by ThreeOhFour, Tue 13/11/2012 17:25:39

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

I suddenly looked at my desk tonight and realized how cluttered and filthy it was, so I decided to take a photo.

Here you can see the bubble mix, lego, bouncy, squishy, slimy and stretchy things, and various other assorted garbage that I've collected over the years. I got the desk itself for free way before I started making games - which was when I last gave it a fresh coat of paint, if you can't tell. It's been my game making desk through 3 different houses and lord knows how many projects.

Be kinda rad to see other people's game making stations, too...

selmiak

and there I thought you wanted to play cards as I red show us you deck...

nice idea, once I find my digicam that is supposed to be somewhere on my desk I'll join in...

selmiak

desktop inception...

I also saved the picture of my desktop with your desktop in it as desktop.jpg straight to desktop for easy access.

Stee

You aren't ready for my desk

Also, what's this game making thing you're talking about?
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

gameboy

You filthy people!

Okay, mine's not squeaky clean either. (roll)

Babar

Probably not the best angle to have taken this from, but you can see most of my stuff. Stabiliser, graphics tablet, webcam and screenfilterthing that I don't really use anymore, because everyone else uses LCDs with dark displays.

...baby
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Anian

OMG, so many people have messy desks, JUST LIKE I DO...I'm not crying...I'm just so...happy.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Baron

I used to be like you, toiling in my own filth, until I lost my back office.  Now I do all my work at the kitchen counter, and I wouldn't go back.  That vast expanse you see before you is 18 square feet of solid oak.  Granted this is the beginning of the evening: I've just finished my cleaning routine and am ready to start some gaming.  By the end of the evening there'll be notes and books strewn about, but I'll have to clear it all off before I leave in the morning so the rest of the household can use the space when they get up.

Er.... Baby.

Grundislav

Check out all those classic adventures.  Jealous?

Ponch

Behold the TackyWorld Interactive World Headquarters Programming Center

Yes, it's a bit old school. But I haven't found a better system for running AGS 2.72 and the many binders help to organize the endless stacks of punch cards that creating each Barn Runner game in 2.72 requires.

You damn kids and your floppy disks. You should be able to feel each line of code in your hands! (wrong)

Ryan Timothy B

Mine is almost as messy as Ben's. ;)

(I just moved the desk recently into a different room, so it should still be pretty clean)

Quote from: Baron on Wed 14/11/2012 02:29:03That vast expanse you see before you is 18 square feet of solid oak.
I'm having a hard time telling if that's actually oak.. especially with the grainy image quality (hoho!). But no, I'm serious.. How do YOU know it's actually oak.
I'm going to have to make a trip over there right this moment to see if it's actually oak. Though, you don't have to clean the counter for me, I don't mind. ;)

Baron

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Wed 14/11/2012 06:24:14
Quote from: Baron on Wed 14/11/2012 02:29:03That vast expanse you see before you is 18 square feet of solid oak.
I'm having a hard time telling if that's actually oak.. especially with the grainy image quality (hoho!). But no, I'm serious.. How do YOU know it's actually oak.
I'm going to have to make a trip over there right this moment to see if it's actually oak. Though, you don't have to clean the counter for me, I don't mind. ;)

Oh, a mother knows!  I built that sucker from the ground up.  Can't you see the (still unpainted) plywood underneath?  You can't buy that kind of quality.  The whole peninsula is less than 1/16 of an inch out of true: it's PERFECT.  And if the bloody floor it's sitting on had been flat, my eggs would stay in place when I'm cooking breakfast.... (roll)

Ryan Timothy B

I was wondering why there was plywood there. Sounds like you built her in a garage and didn't think about the ground being out of level. Not sure if that would've occurred to me or not, as I've never really built much with wood (and I'm a little spoiled having a brand spankin' new house that my brother built). But now that you've mentioned it, I would definitely think of having a level surface before going build crazy (but probably only because you mentioned it). ;)

Do you have drawers and/or cupboards on the other side?

Baron

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Thu 15/11/2012 07:34:58
Do you have drawers and/or cupboards on the other side?

You just want to see how filthy the rest of the house gets.  Either that or you want to turn this into the amateur carpentry thread (which I'm totally down with ;-D).  Any which way you cut it, I'm a glutton for scrutiny so:

Mostly I just recycled the hardware from the old drawers in the much smaller island that used to stand in this spot (maybe 6 square feet).  I just took apart the crummy laminated particle board, measured the crucial bits that had to fit with the hardware, and built much larger drawers out of plywood (the fronts are some nicer pine).  I actually had to buy the hinges AND a special drill bit for the compost/garbage cupboard, but that shelf is pure recycled panelling that used to be on all the walls.  The plan was (er.... is) to paint the whole thing after patching the nastier bits with wood filler, but we couldn't agree on a colour scheme so just haven't gotten around to it yet.  If only we knew someone local who had a brother who liked to finish things....  (roll)

LimpingFish

Go Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch! Yeah! \o/
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Chicky

This is my kind of thread := Hang your dirty laundry out to dry!

I present large speakers and wall of silly things:

Calin Leafshade

Signs quite clearly stolen from building sites whilst drunk.

I will inform the authorities.

Paul Franzen

The Beard in the Mirror (formerly testgame) - Out now on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/385840
Other games I've worked on: http://paulmfranzen.com/games/

Andail

We moved rather recently, so I'd happily show some pictures.

This is our guestroom/studio/office:

OT, but this is our bedroom:

More OT, but this is our livingroom:

Not shown here:
The kitchen.

Stee

The kitchen is clearly where all the mess is  ;)
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk