Something completely unrelated - PlanetSide2

Started by WHAM, Wed 28/11/2012 11:27:28

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Yeah, so... I got into the Planetside 2 beta earlier, got hooked, and now that the game has been out and released for about a week I've played it for... I don't even know anymore. The hours of the day just disappeared somewhere and then its time to go into work again, then sleep, then videogames. I call it a vicious cycle!

Nevertheless, I've tried to do something productive by depicting the sheer awesomeness of Planetside 2 in writing, so here's a link to the Planetside 2 forums. I'll be updating it with 4 short stories, of which the first one is completed and the second one has been started at the time I post this. Feedback is welcome, as I am also using these stories as means of practicing the english language, grammar etc.

DAS LINK

TERRAN REPUBLIC FOR LIFE, YO!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

DoorKnobHandle

You should mention this is a free to play game, haha! I also played the beta but I couldn't handle the network lag me and my friends were getting. If you're in a vehicle it's better, because you generally don't need quick reaction times but playing with as infantry with like 10 fps (not due to CPU/GPU speed but server lag) was never very fun to me!

Do you have any lag problems (especially during fights)?

I will make sure to read your story, too! When I get half an hour of time, I promise! :)

WHAM

I'm pretty sure server lag will not drop your FPS, mate, althought some vehicle and infantry warping will occur. :) I get a steady 50 fps, with dips to 35-40fps during larger battles, so no problems for me. The game has also improved greatly since the beta, technically and otherwise, and new patches and hotfixes are coming in every few days.

Currently playin on the Miller EU server under the name of, what else; WHAM.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

DoorKnobHandle

It doesn't affect my local FPS, that's true, but it still means I can't aim properly etc.

But I did hear they improved the performance somewhat on release, as you said, so I should give it another try!

Anian

It's a good concept but poor execution. I tried it and hated it, here's why:
- install is bloody big, but ok
- network lag is bad but even without that the game is horribly optimized and FPS doesn't go down even on the lowest settings (my friend says it's a bit better actually if you put the settings on medium instead of lowest, but I think that's weird). And it's relatively ok when you're running across terrain, but if there's 20 people around you, it's unplayable and a slideshow.
- terrain is big, but that actually causes 2 major problems - you have a relatively small amount of ammo (especially if you're antitank) and you take long trips to where the action usually is - which is a really weird design
- once a team is armoured, you're basically f-ed - if a faction has a lot of vehicles and the other doesn't - they're screwed since ammo is scarce and if you miss a tank
- game is unstable as hell - first few times the game just shut down in the menu without notice, couple of times I set everything up and then the play button doesn't appear
I don't want the world, I just want your half

WHAM

Quote from: Anian on Wed 28/11/2012 14:19:26
It's a good concept but poor execution. I tried it and hated it, here's why:
1 - install is bloody big, but ok
2 - network lag is bad but even without that the game is horribly optimized and FPS doesn't go down even on the lowest settings (my friend says it's a bit better actually if you put the settings on medium instead of lowest, but I think that's weird). And it's relatively ok when you're running across terrain, but if there's 20 people around you, it's unplayable and a slideshow.
3 - terrain is big, but that actually causes 2 major problems - you have a relatively small amount of ammo (especially if you're antitank) and you take long trips to where the action usually is - which is a really weird design
4 - once a team is armoured, you're basically f-ed - if a faction has a lot of vehicles and the other doesn't - they're screwed since ammo is scarce and if you miss a tank
5 - game is unstable as hell - first few times the game just shut down in the menu without notice, couple of times I set everything up and then the play button doesn't appear

1 - Install is big, yes, but with modern hard-drives that's a non-issue (I've got 700 gigs of disk space empty right now)
2 - Network lag depends greatly on player network connections, and is sometimes unavoidable. For me the issue is a minor one and has gotten me killed perhaps three times so far.
3 - Terrain is big and ammo is low, which is why you cannot solo anything. Recommended squads have people of all roles, especially an engineer and a medic to keep ammo and health going. Solo playing is next to impossible. I myself am part of an outift with between 6 and 30 players online at any given time, so with jolly co-operation we can overcome most obstacles.
4 - Armor wipes floor with infantry, yes, but can't cap bases so while it does great damage and is hard to kill, it needs infantry if it wants to win battles in large bases. Also, two or three liberator gunships will MURDER an armored column with ease. :D
5 - Currently the client, for me at least, is very stable. However the devs are having issues with some server crashes, but these are currently being worked on 24/7 according to the devs themselves. During the beta there were great many issues, but well over 90% of them have been resolved for me.

Crimson Wizard

Never heard of this before, but screenshots reminded me of Unreal Tournament 2004 Onslaught mode :).

WHAM

Something like that, but with 6000 players per server. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk