The Cat Lady

Started by Grim, Sat 01/12/2012 09:33:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

Quote from: an Urpney on Sun 05/01/2014 22:12:40
You know, you can always scan the thing and add it as bonus material for Steam and GOG buyers (not sure if Desu supports such thing as bonus material). I'd certainly love to see this :)

Scanning 80 or so pages?... Sounds like fun!;) At least I could leave out a page with my PayPal details written down;)

m0ds

Ha - Yes, you should definitely grab a coffee and go scan it, and we can submit it as bonus material :) or post it to me and I'll scan it.

Ghost

+1 on that; bonus material is always great. I love stuff lie Dev Comments, Behind-the-Scenes and scanned notebooks retrieved from fridges!

Gribbler

Well, I've just finished it. Here are my afterthoughts in the form of pros and cons (spoilers):

Spoiler

Cons:
-lack of some kind of indicator that you can scroll inventory sideways. I got stuck a few times just because I forgot I have more items at my disposal.
-hard rock music was immersion breaking for me. But it's just a matter of taste I guess.
-game was a bit too wordy sometimes. The fight between Susan and her husband for example or dialogue between Susan in the tub and Mitzi making pancakes.
-I found the story a little confusing. First it was about five people Susan had to kill and then it sort of changed into the search for Eye of Adam. When credits rolled I had no idea who the old lady in "netherworld" was and what was it all really about. Original MacGuffin slowly
vanished...
-poor voice acting of secondary characters. Annie in hospital for example.
-some puzzles seemed a little off. Like the key for the van hidden in the head of a dead guy in the tub.
-I found a few bugs. For example I read the letter to Pauline when I was all alone in Joe's apartment and Susan started talking to invisible Mitzi (who went upstairs to get the power cord). Invisible Mitzi talked back.

Pros:
-fantastic atmosphere. Very spooky.
-absorbing gameplay
-I loved jump scares :)
-great graphics. I loved the style and it's overall grittiness.
-very intuitive interface. I totally did not expect it was gonna be keyboard based so at first I was taken a little aback. But it changed very quickly and the gameplay went super smooth.
-creepy ambient sounds were spot on. Reminded me of early Silent Hills.
-I loved muli-layered scrolling and special effects (lights, fog, etc.). It all made the game very film-like.
-The game is well worth the price. It took me about 10 hours to finish it.
-The game was just about the right level of difficulty. I got stuck only because of the inventory interface.
-Also, I don't know if that's a plus, depends how you look at it, but the game is very dark and contains some heavy stuff. Seriously, do not play this if you're feeling depressed or sad. Personally, I  think it's a huge plus. To be able to make the player feel such burden... Grim, you mastered it :)
[close]

Grim

Yes, he does!;)

Somebody else has shown me that before. Pretty freaky;)

GMD1984

I brought it while back on GOG. Very unique game in many ways! And yes puzzles are done very well. I had to really look up for the walkthrough on once. While many others just make senses (sometime in very insane way :D) IMO to playing the game with only one hand on the keyboard is very suite my liking.

By stretched out the scene into a 2D sidescroll is eliminated all the chance of pixel hunting or player missing a hotspot! So, 2D control does give this game more than a unique style. It's also served functionality.

Also, the voice acting are great! Even though I spot the different between Mitzy and Susan's voice quality / recording environment. But, the acting is there and it's played out so well.
Anyway, congrats on available on Steam! I just can't wait for another game from you guys!

And I'm not much of a Fan-art do-er. But after I've done the game I just feels that I have to draw the two main characters. so I did it.

Tabata

@GMD
WOW!  Now that's an incredibly cool piece of fan-art.
I really like how you did the chars. 
BRAVO! 

GMD1984

Quote from: Tabata on Tue 04/02/2014 09:50:40

@GMD
WOW!  Now that's an incredibly cool piece of fan-art.
I really like how you did the chars. 
BRAVO! 
Thanks Tabata. All credits goes to Grim and Harvester Game for such well written characters ;)

Grim

Thanks, GMD1984;) I've seen your piece already, actually. The Tumblr community is such a fantastic outlet for artists and it has been produced a lot of great TCL fan-art, which is a pleasure to look at, read, listen to... :)

For those who are interested, just try #the cat lady tag.

GMD1984

Quote from: Grim on Tue 04/02/2014 14:14:47
Thanks, GMD1984;) I've seen your piece already, actually. The Tumblr community is such a fantastic outlet for artists and it has been produced a lot of great TCL fan-art, which is a pleasure to look at, read, listen to... :)

For those who are interested, just try #the cat lady tag.

Your welcome, Grim! Hopefully this is not a spoiler But one of my fav part of the game is...
Spoiler

The Psychologist interview sessions. Even-though the choices might not change the course of the game much. But, I found that I feels it's really me who's been interview. And instead of being Susan character. In that moment, all the choice and answer that I gave to the doctor were actually mines/my background. Which is pretty awesome.
[close]

Janos Biro

First of all, congratulations for the great success of this release. What follows is my personal impression.

I'm having a hard time playing The Cat Lady. Not with the puzzles, they are quite easy. I don't play horror games at all, but the real problem is: I think I have a "cat lady" aunt. I'm very close to her, I feel like she is a second mother to me, even though she lives alone with her cats. She is the one that influenced me to read poetry and such. When I play, I remember her, and it's kind of hard to see the disturbing parts. I'm playing as if Susan was my aunt, and it's getting very scary. I'm afraid of playing it. I fear the ending, even though I have no idea what it will be. It might take a little while to play it to end.

Just a personal account for you to know.
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

Grim

janosbiro: this game is a tribute to all the cat ladies out there. I too love cats. And ladies. And if I put them through some tough time it's only to show how strong they really are.

Janos Biro

Good point. And beautifully said.

Janos Biro

Grim,

I'm so glad I didn't gave up playing it! I was so afraid the ending would be depressing, but it was perfect! The music was great too. I still didn't changed my mind about horror games, but i'm happy to say this is one of my favorite games. I could do it without the scary parts, but it is beautiful anyway. Thank you.

Ben X

Now available in this bundle, along with at least two other stone-cold classics:

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/fusion-bundle

monkey0506

The Cat Lady is coming to Steam for Linux! If you're a Linux user and are interested in helping with a beta test, please PM me for details.

qptain Nemo

Hey thanks for making it available from Linux! :)

Actually monkey_05_06, seeing as you clearly have already compiled x86 and x86_64 binaries of AGS for linux, can you publicly share them? I think all AGS developers (and players) would benefit from that.

Edit: Derp, right after writing that, I realized that I can just look in the folder where the Cat Lady is installed and find them there, which indeed was the case. So, thanks twice as much. :)

I still think they should be, like, posted somewhere on the forums and like highlighted so the developers know that they can relatively easily make Linux versions of their games.

Edit 2: You guys don't mind if I borrow the shell script you use for platform selection too, right?

monkey0506

The shell script was the one provided with the AGS source by BigMC I think, but not by me. I modified it to symlink the appropriate AGSteam plugin just-in-time, but I don't see why there would be any issues with you using it. Dump an AGS game in the data folder and you should be good to go on any Debian 7 compatible platform (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, etc.), unless they use plugins which will have to be either recompiled or a stub created for them.

m0ds

Just to let folks know the game is available in a bundle for a few more days along with 11th Hour and Lume :)

https://www.indiegala.com/weekly

But of course thanks to those who have bought via this page using the Screen 7 site(s) and that CHRISJONESAGS discount code (for this game and others) (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk