The Cat Lady

Started by Grim, Sat 01/12/2012 09:33:54

Previous topic - Next topic

viltaket

QuoteWith those choices I got the best ending. Maybe there was something earlier?

Spoiler

at the end of your Mitzi remains alive and does not die from cancer? 8-0

in all of my endings
only change in Susan words  on a black background.
wants to find the hidden end: D
[close]

an Urpney

Quote from: viltaket on Sat 08/12/2012 17:23:05

Spoiler

at the end of your Mitzi remains alive and does not die from cancer? 8-0
in all of my endings
only change in Susan words  on a black background.
wants to find the hidden end: D
[close]

Yes, and that was the first ending I've seen (doing things I'd do or say in real life or closest to whad I'd do) so I don't think it was that secret : )

Choices I can remember:
Spoiler

- Dead father, good mother in conversation with X,
- Kill X and free the girl,
- Susan doesn't have a breakdown after conversation with Bryan,
- Refuse to strangle Ivy,
- Give Mitzi the gas mask,
- Refuse to blow a candle,
- Convince Mitzi to let Adan live.

Choices I know to be significant:
- Keep the mask for yourself - Mitzi suffocates.
- Blow a candle - Mitzi dies of her cancer.
- Let Mitzi kill Adam - Mitzi dies when the room explodes.

At my ending Susan meets Mitzi at the cementary gate and they leave together.
[close]
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: an Urpney on Sat 08/12/2012 17:13:13
Spoiler

- Convince Mitzi to let Adam live.
[close]
Yes, I did the same...

Hmm, on other choices... I did this:
Spoiler

- Refuse to follow Queen of Maggot's orders,
- Good father, good mother,
- Kill X and free the girl, -- (was there OTHER option??)
- Susan DOES have a breakdown after conversation with Bryan,
- Solve doll-guardians puzzle and get the "prize"
At my ending Mitzi dies from cancer.
[close]

an Urpney

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 08/12/2012 18:40:17
Hmm, on other choices... I did this:
Spoiler

- Refuse to follow Queen of Maggot's orders,
//I decided to follow her orders.
- Kill X and free the girl, -- (was there OTHER option??)
//You can find a key in dead nurse's pocket and Susan muses she can leave now and forget about everything that happened. I decided to follow Queen's orders, so I killed X.
- Solve doll-guardians puzzle and get the "prize"
//I did the same and Crow gave me a mocking speech.
[close]

So one more thing I did differently. Of all those, maybe it's the
Spoiler
breakdown
[close]
that triggers the best ending?
An Urpney.

Mati256

Quote from: an Urpney on Sat 08/12/2012 18:22:47
Choices I can remember:
Spoiler

- Dead father, good mother in conversation with X,
- Kill X and free the girl,
- Susan doesn't have a breakdown after conversation with Bryan,

Choices I know to be significant:
- Keep the mask for yourself - Mitzi suffocates.
- Blow a candle - Mitzi dies of her cancer.
- Let Mitzi kill Adam - Mitzi dies when the room explodes.

At my ending Susan meets Mitzi at the cementary gate and they leave together.
[close]

Spoiler
Those are the same choices I did, but I
- Had a breakdown after conversation with Bryan
- Strangled Ivy

Mitzi died from cancer.
[close]
My Blog! (En Español)

an Urpney

Spoiler
I hope that ending wasn't cut - I played pre-relase version and really liked how heartwarming this ending was.
It's funny with Susan's breakdown - I wanted to swich from speakers to headsed half-way through this chapter and the game crashed when I tried to minimalize it. Playing that chapter again I knew what to avoid and saved Susan from having a breakdown.
[close]
An Urpney.

Grim

Guys, you seem to be forgetting about one more very important choice in the game:

Spoiler
Liz.

The thing about Liz is that the result of that conversation on the roof isn't instantly clear. She asks you three questions and you will only know the right answers if you opened up to her the first night in the hospital. Even if you answer all three correctly, she still jumps, but before she does... she says she'll come back and help you when you need her. And that she does. In Doctor X's lair, where her dead body is hanging on the bars, she leaves a little "gift" - with it it's possible to avoid killing Doc completely!;) AND it's one of the conditions required for "Mitzi beats cancer" ending! - I'm guesing an Urpney must've done it, otherwise it's not possible to get the best ending.

I shouldn't reveal this, but since you guys have picked the whole game-choices structure apart I'll tell you what are the 5 things you need to do to achieve that ending:
- Tell Queen Of Maggots to get stuffed,
- Prove to Liz that you've listened,
- solve the dolls-at-the-door riddle,
- not have a breakdown in chapter 3,
- give Mitzi the mask,
- refuse to blow out candles in chapter 7,

Wait... That's 6 things!!! Something's wrong here... ;)

But, as in Telltale's The Walking Dead, some choices are in place to give players a certain ammount of freedom as to how they want to approach different situations- whether based on their own personalities or how they imagine Susan would have acted. Also, in some parts, choices create a slightly different backstory- not just the father/mother part, but there are several moments when Susan will tell pieces of stories and opinions that add to the overall image of the world, which you could otherwise miss entirely... - but that's the whole point- you will come out of this experience with a story that in some way will be your own, but you won't miss out on not seeing massive parts of the game. If you've played Heavy Rain and Walking Dead several times, you'll notice that that is exactly what they've done, the good old smoke and mirrors thing. After Heavy Rain I've decided never to replay this kind of games. I think part of the fun is believing you could've gone and done something completely different and if you replay them, you begin to realize that there are limitations and in the end a lot of things that were meant to happen, will happen anyway;)
[close]
-

JSH

Wee, turns out I got the best ending without even knowing how to! :)

And I must say to Grim & Team - Congratulations on delivering an absolutely superb game! This is now up among my favorite AGS games ever together with Donna, Resonance and the Blackwells.

The story and characters were great, I loved the Silent Hill influences, the puzzles were good, got stuck a few times but not too bad and it was my own fault every time :) The voice actors did a great job, very convincing performances across the board. The game is very long, one of the longest AGS games I've played. The chapters just kept on ticking up :) I'd say Donna is the only AGS game in the same league as The Cat Lady purely length wise.

I enjoyed the different choices and how they affected the ending of the game. I wasn't sure how to get the "best" ending when I played, but I used my gut when deciding and it rewarded me in the end, I hate games where sometimes completely unrelated things affect the ending. (Silent Hills, I'm looking at you!) Another thing is that the game kept me guessing whether or not it was all in Susan's head, what's real and what's not which was great. The art direction was stellar as well, I love the black and white with color added here and there for emphasis. It's a really powerful effect. The audio fit perfectly as well, vocalized songs come in at just the right moment, making some scenes very touching and memorable!

The annoying bits were mostly technical issues, like how you have to skip item interactions by walking left/right and how characters jitter when walking on scrolling backgrounds, although that is an actual engine issue and not really specific for this game. I also agree with the previous posts about the florist, it felt a bit forced. Not being able to skip any cutscenes or interactions can be quite annoying as well, especially when just moving between areas and having to watch transition animations over and over or loading savegames and such and having to rewatch the same cutscenes again.

But in the grand scheme of things these are minor issues and I'm going to spread the word, recommending The Cat Lady to all horror/adventure game fans I know :)

an Urpney

Quote from: Grim on Sun 09/12/2012 03:56:11
Guys, you seem to be forgetting about one more very important choice in the game:

Spoiler
Liz.

The thing about Liz is that the result of that conversation on the roof isn't instantly clear. She asks you three questions and you will only know the right answers if you opened up to her the first night in the hospital. Even if you answer all three correctly, she still jumps, but before she does... she says she'll come back and help you when you need her. And that she does. In Doctor X's lair, where her dead body is hanging on the bars, she leaves a little "gift" - with it it's possible to avoid killing Doc completely!;) AND it's one of the conditions required for "Mitzi beats cancer" ending! - I'm guesing an Urpney must've done it, otherwise it's not possible to get the best ending.
[close]
Spoiler

Yes I did : ) That's why I mentioned another choice: "- Kill X and free the girl" which I wouldn't have if I've screwed up Liz sequence. I opened the door but decided to go back and kill that bastard anyway - which still gave me the best ending.
And, with the Queen - I think I decided to follow her... at least she told me about blood and soul sacrifices I need to make if I want to go back.
[close]
An Urpney.

m0ds

If you enjoyed it, please do vote for it for the awards at http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-cat-lady

Only a day and a half left of voting.

Thank you!

viltaket

Spoiler
interestingly
by theory
if there is a very good ending
there is a very bad end? ( for example:all die, even Susan?)
:)
[close]

an Urpney

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 09/12/2012 13:23:18
If you enjoyed it, please do vote for it for the awards at http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-cat-lady

Only a day and a half left of voting.

Thank you!

Voted long time ago : )

Quote from: viltaket on Sun 09/12/2012 13:30:12
Spoiler
interestingly
by theory
if there is a very good ending
there is a very bad end? ( for example:all die, even Susan?)
:)
[close]

Spoiler

If there is - it's hidden much better than the good ending.
[close]
An Urpney.

Grim

Krusbert: Wow, thanks! I don't think a small game developer making games in a tiny corner of his living room can wish for a better comment!;) Being a gamer pretty much all my life I try to create something I'd enjoy playing myself most of all, and sometimes it can result in a terrible mess of a situation... But it seems I did get some things right after all!:)

viltaket & an Urpney:
Spoiler
This game just couldn't have a full-on bad ending. It would be too much. It would deprive people of hope, and I want to believe there is always hope, no matter how bad things have been. I did consider this for a moment, but when I decided, the decision was final- there is a message there, maybe not for everyone, but there will be people playing it who suffer from depression or suicidal thoughts, and I want them to learn something from the experience. Or to try, at least. As most of us, I've had my share of shitty moments in life too, and one thing that always got me through all of them was my strong belief that we can overcome everything if we just keep going and don't give up. I read this poem when I was about 17, and it's really changed my whole life, tought me how to live. It's probably a bit silly to post it here... But what the hell, I will anyway;) If you don't like it, don't read it :p

The Envoy of Mr Cogito

Go where those others went to the dark boundary
for the golden fleece of nothingness your last prize

go upright among those who are on their knees
among those with their backs turned and those toppled in the dust

you were saved not in order to live
you have little time you must give testimony

be courageous when the mind deceives you be courageous
in the final account only this is important

and let your helpless Anger be like the sea
whenever your hear the voice of the insulted and beaten

let you sister Scorn not leave you
for the informers executioners cowards - they will win
they will go to your funeral with relief will throw a lump of earth
the woodborer will write your smoothed-over biography

and do not forgive truly it is not in your power
to forgive in the name of those betrayed at dawn

beware however of unnecessary pride
keep looking at your clown's face in the mirror
repeat: I was called - weren't there better ones than I

beware of dryness of heart love the morning spring
the bird with an unknown name the winter oak
light on a wall the splendour of the sky
they don't need your warm breath
they are there to say: no one will console you

be vigilant - when the light on the mountains gives the sign- arise and go
as long as blood turns in the breast your dark star

repeat old incantations of humanity fables and legends
because this is how you will attain the good you will not attain
repeat great words repeat them stubbornly
like those crossing the desert who perished in the sand

and they will reward you with what they have at hand
with the whip of laughter with murder on a garbage heap

go because only in this way you will be admitted to the company of cold skulls
to the company of your ancestors: Gilgamesh Hector Roland
the defenders of the kingdom without limit and the city of ashes

Be faithful Go

Zbigniew Herbert 
[close]

an Urpney

Quote from: Grim on Mon 10/12/2012 16:45:15
viltaket & an Urpney:
Spoiler
This game just couldn't have a full-on bad ending. It would be too much. It would deprive people of hope, and I want to believe there is always hope, no matter how bad things have been. I did consider this for a moment, but when I decided, the decision was final- there is a message there, maybe not for everyone, but there will be people playing it who suffer from depression or suicidal thoughts, and I want them to learn something from the experience. Or to try, at least. As most of us, I've had my share of shitty moments in life too, and one thing that always got me through all of them was my strong belief that we can overcome everything if we just keep going and don't give up.
[close]
Spoiler
I think  that's good - and now I can stop looking for it. Certailny I felt bad when Susan had a breakdown in Chapter 3, especially knowing how to avoid it. Felt kind of guilty causing it.
[close]

Quote from: Grim on Mon 10/12/2012 16:45:15
Spoiler
I read this poem when I was about 17, and it's really changed my whole life, tought me how to live. It's probably a bit silly to post it here... But what the hell, I will anyway;) If you don't like it, don't read it :p

The Envoy of Mr Cogito

Go where those others went to the dark boundary
for the golden fleece of nothingness your last prize

go upright among those who are on their knees
among those with their backs turned and those toppled in the dust

you were saved not in order to live
you have little time you must give testimony

be courageous when the mind deceives you be courageous
in the final account only this is important

and let your helpless Anger be like the sea
whenever your hear the voice of the insulted and beaten

let you sister Scorn not leave you
for the informers executioners cowards - they will win
they will go to your funeral with relief will throw a lump of earth
the woodborer will write your smoothed-over biography

and do not forgive truly it is not in your power
to forgive in the name of those betrayed at dawn

beware however of unnecessary pride
keep looking at your clown's face in the mirror
repeat: I was called - weren't there better ones than I

beware of dryness of heart love the morning spring
the bird with an unknown name the winter oak
light on a wall the splendour of the sky
they don't need your warm breath
they are there to say: no one will console you

be vigilant - when the light on the mountains gives the sign- arise and go
as long as blood turns in the breast your dark star

repeat old incantations of humanity fables and legends
because this is how you will attain the good you will not attain
repeat great words repeat them stubbornly
like those crossing the desert who perished in the sand

and they will reward you with what they have at hand
with the whip of laughter with murder on a garbage heap

go because only in this way you will be admitted to the company of cold skulls
to the company of your ancestors: Gilgamesh Hector Roland
the defenders of the kingdom without limit and the city of ashes

Be faithful Go

Zbigniew Herbert 
[close]

Spoiler
It's hard not to know it here in Poland, ecpecially since it's been misused in political dispute.
One I thought about - ecpecially playing Downfall - was Leśmian's The Maiden (unfortunately I can't find any translation).
[close]
An Urpney.

EchosofNezhyt

A friend of mine wanted a vote on the indie db and I saw that your game was on there and I had to stop in and say that it looks very interesting and quality. I haven't played it yet but I think I will soon!

Grats man!

m0ds

A very favorable new review to read at Adventure Gamers! http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/23373

Goldmund

Heard about GOG refusing to carry it, this is ridiculous. :-(

an Urpney

My little rant on their forums caused someone to wishlist it here.
You can vote for it if you're on GOG; )
An Urpney.

Grim

Quote from: an Urpney on Thu 13/12/2012 11:12:49
My little rant on their forums caused someone to wishlist it here.
You can vote for it if you're on GOG; )

So it was you?!?;) Thanks for what you said there- and I can't believe you managed to stay a gentleman after some of the people there were ready to attack you like sharks!:) Anyway, it makes me think, the fact that so many people want to go back and replay the old games on GOG, and whenever I do so, I always end up being disappointed... The way I remembered them is just much better, and I'm trying not ruin those memories again. There's got to be room for new titles and new ideas. Too many developers are also trying to look back in the past and copy what was once upon a time a successful game, hoping to reach those looking at their gaming past through pink-tinted glasses.

Anyway... Some new reviews to share with you guys!!! I'm obviously still over the moon about the AdventureGamers review- which meant a lot to me!:) -but a couple more just appeared out of the blue.

INDIE STATIK: "Susan Ashworth may be one of the most human characters I’ve encountered in a game (...)"

FUTURE SACK: "(...) A true masterpiece of interactive storytelling (...)"

And it seems like TCL has entered another stage of the Indie Game Of The Year contest on indie db (thanks to all people who voted!:))- we are now in the top hundred and the voting continues until new year. If you have a free minute, why not click on that big red button one more time before the end of the world?;)

an Urpney

Quote from: Grim on Fri 14/12/2012 02:35:55
So it was you?!?;) Thanks for what you said there- and I can't believe you managed to stay a gentleman after some of the people there were ready to attack you like sharks!:)

Yeap, that was me : ) It's almost impossible to make me lose my temper in real life and there was nothing really bad they said - starting a flame war over it would do nothing good. And now someone bought the game and it's doing pretty well on the wishlist : )
EDIT. Just got you a potential customer for Downfall in that thread : ) BTW, can we count on fixing that surrender ending bug? : )

Anyway, it makes me think, the fact that so many people want to go back and replay the old games on GOG, and whenever I do so, I always end up being disappointed... The way I remembered them is just much better, and I'm trying not ruin those memories again. There's got to be room for new titles and new ideas. Too many developers are also trying to look back in the past and copy what was once upon a time a successful game, hoping to reach those looking at their gaming past through pink-tinted glasses.

There are some games I tend to replay once a couple of years and it's always almost as fun as the first time.Grim Fandango is like a good movie. In Planescape: Tormen I still find new things every time I replay it. KotOR 2 is constantly fixed by modders at it was relased unfinished - and it's the darkest, most moraly ambiguous tale in Star Wars universe. Sanitarium - probably just sentimental value and I still can't get why Aztecs were relevant for curing the plague.
Cat Lady is probably joining those in my collection : )

And it seems like TCL has entered another stage of the Indie Game Of The Year contest on indie db (thanks to all people who voted!:))- we are now in the top hundred and the voting continues until new year. If you have a free minute, why not click on that big red button one more time before the end of the world?;)

Voted.
EDIT2: One more little press mention: http://videogamepotpourri.blogspot.com/2012/12/interview-with-agustin-cordes-lead.html
(just a short mention in an interwiev, but still nice)
An Urpney.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk