Author Topic: AGS engine Mac OS X port  (Read 39532 times)

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
AGS engine Mac OS X port
« on: 10 Dec 2012, 19:12 »
Everything seems a little quiet round here. Is there any current progress on a port of AGS to Mac? Because Wadjet Eye gets a tonne of requests for Mac versions of our games.

The notes on the OSX port at https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags read:

The OSX port is currently only interesting for developers.

Main reason for this is that it only runs on OSX versions 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or lower. Important frameworks used by Allegro 4 were removed in later releases.

What were these important frameworks, and how feasible is a working port?

Re: AGS engine Mac OS X port
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2012, 20:07 »
You could ask the Allegro Development list [1] how difficult porting Allegro 4 would be.
An alternative would be porting AGS to Allegro 5. [2]

[1] http://alleg.sourceforge.net/maillist.html
[2] http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=355.0

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • Crimson Wizard worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Crimson Wizard worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2012, 21:20 »
I'll add my "two cents". To be frank, I did not yet have chance to explore Allegro 5 and learn how much is different from A4 (code-wise). But the general issue is that allegro 4 calls are scattered throughout the engine (those that deal with graphics and controls mainly) instead of being groupped (like in helper functions or classes). If it is only about changing function names, it is not much of a problem. But I fear that there may be changes to logic of usage, in such case certain parts of AGS should be completely overwritten.

As I see it (just a basic idea) there is fast way and "good" way. Fast way is just discard all code style considerations and brute-force Allegro 5 into engine. "Good way" is to properly reorganize the code, hide Allegro 4 calls under interfaces, like Bitmap, Graphics, Mouse etc classes, only then port to A5. I like second way more, but I have no idea how much more time it will take. Depends on how many people involved, I guess. Maybe hacking A5 in place of A4 won't make AGS code too much worse, than it is :).

EDIT: Couple things more:
- The editor uses Allegro 4 too, for converting graphics. I guess (only guess) that is minor issue and could be fixed more easier.
- I really hope there's compatibility between A4 and A5 resources (like bitmaps structure). Otherwise there must be a conversion.

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2012, 22:04 »
The graphics code including data structures has probably changed quite a lot. Allegro 5 was written for OpenGL, Allegro 4 for DOS. But then it's probably a good thing if AGS uses it's own data structures and the game file format is disentangled from the library dependencies of the engine.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2012, 22:09 by BigMc »

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2012, 10:08 »
@JanetC, also, a small note, seeing as you (https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ is your repository, right?) are merging our refactored code from time to time:
current 'ags/master' branch, while having more potential due to rewritten script interpreter (it is more compatible with 64-bit builds), is still considered a bit unstable (well, for the same reason ;)), and had new bugs in recent past. So if you are using your branch for shortly upcoming releases, I'd recommend not to update from our repository for some time.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2012, 20:30 »
@JanetC, also, a small note, seeing as you (https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ is your repository, right?) are merging our refactored code from time to time:
current 'ags/master' branch, while having more potential due to rewritten script interpreter (it is more compatible with 64-bit builds), is still considered a bit unstable (well, for the same reason ;)), and had new bugs in recent past. So if you are using your branch for shortly upcoming releases, I'd recommend not to update from our repository for some time.

Do you mean not to update from Refactory or master? Because I haven't updated in a while, but when I do, I use Refactory.

Thanks for the info on Mac, guys. Sounds like quite a task!

When you say "You could ask the Allegro Development list [1] how difficult porting Allegro 4 would be.", BigMc, I googled quickly and the Allegro downloads page seems to show that Allegro 4 is already Mac compatible. Am I not following something?

http://alleg.sourceforge.net/download.html

« Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2012, 20:39 »
It works up to Mac OS X 10.6 and Allegro 4.4 was released before Mac OS X 10.7, so that information is probably outdated.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2012, 22:33 »
Do you mean not to update from Refactory or master? Because I haven't updated in a while, but when I do, I use Refactory.
I mean both. There was a big change made in refactory branch (script interpreter). Then we created master branch and now working in there.
I hope it will become safe in a while, people are using it to play games, so these changes will be tested.

Thanks for the info on Mac, guys. Sounds like quite a task!
Well, I do not want to overestimate things or scare people off. I don't think it is a year-long of work, maybe 2-3 months of work. There just should be dedicated someone who would do that fairly.
There's already my Bitmap class in use, someone need to do the rest (probably Graphics class for storing drawing settings like colors, Font class, etc).
I was hoping to work on this, but then I switched to something that I wasn't even planned to work on, and that distracted me for nearly 3 months.
If you have a will to help, you are most welcome :)

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2012, 14:43 »
I mean both. There was a big change made in refactory branch (script interpreter). Then we created master branch and now working in there.
I hope it will become safe in a while, people are using it to play games, so these changes will be tested.

When was the unsafe change made? I have a beta of Gemini Rue on iOS running on the Wadjet Eye boards at the moment, and we are getting a lot of crash reports.

If you have a will to help, you are most welcome :)

I have a will but no time, since I am busy on the iOS ports of our game and will be even busier with a baby next spring. :)

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2012, 15:00 »
When was the unsafe change made? I have a beta of Gemini Rue on iOS running on the Wadjet Eye boards at the moment, and we are getting a lot of crash reports.

29th November.

But according to network graph, you made last update from "refactory" 29th october, so it might be something different.
I don't remember anyone tested our latest changes on iOS. JJS should know better though. We confirmed it works on Windows, 32-bit Linux, 64-bit Linux and old big-endian Mac (I think).
Well, and Android (judging on this user report: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44768.msg634773#msg634773)
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2012, 15:10 by Crimson Wizard »

JJS

• Best Innovation Award Winner 2012, for his efforts in porting AGS to multiple platforms
    •  
« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2012, 18:15 »
The newest builds work for me on iOS too. But I have not done extensive testing, really. I would also recommend not to update your source to the latest "refactory" or "master" version because this might have new bugs and will have zero benefit for only running on iOS.

Doesn't sound so good. If you have something that seems to be a general port problem please forward it to me. The most likely cause of crashes is still the multithreaded audio. If so I would expect it to mostly affect devices with multiple processor cores.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Blackthorne

• Infamous Quests
    • Blackthorne worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Blackthorne worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #11 on: 05 Feb 2013, 15:25 »
Hey guys - just a quick jump in, asking if there's still any development with this?  Just curious, because Infamous Quests is definitely interested in having a native Mac Port, instead of a Wine Wrapper.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #12 on: 05 Feb 2013, 16:56 »
Dave posted a recruitment ad for someone to port AGS to Mac.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47577.0

Having our back catalogue on Mac is something Wadjet Eye Games really wants to do.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #13 on: 08 Feb 2013, 22:01 »
Not much interest here... is it worth pointing out that Wadjet Eye would be willing to pay someone to do this port?

« Reply #14 on: 08 Feb 2013, 22:20 »
Not much interest here... is it worth pointing out that Wadjet Eye would be willing to pay someone to do this port?
On a practical note, maybe not many coders here have access to Mac OS X and/or XCode? Maybe you should try to advertise this on a freelancer site, maybe one orientated towards Mac programming.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #15 on: 08 Feb 2013, 23:00 »
On a practical note, maybe not many coders here have access to Mac OS X and/or XCode? Maybe you should try to advertise this on a freelancer site, maybe one orientated towards Mac programming.

That's the second option if no one is interested. I'd prefer to work with someone who understands AGS if possible. I might just do it myself, but that wouldn't be until at least late this year, probably next year, which would be a shame.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2013, 15:46 »
I can't give any promises in regards to timeline, but I was going to work on separating Allegro 4 from the general code anyway. Or someone else could do that too to speed things up (I think more people are becoming interested in working on the engine, like scotchchiefbaker and Slaxx). I will be returning to this task very soon. I think the situation here would become more clear in couple of months.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2013, 11:05 »
Something I totally missed, there was a Mac OSX port made by Nick Sonneveld using SDL: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45708.0

Notice, it is said that Gemini Rue was successfully run with that port.

What is its status? Why was it discontinued?
Also, he mentions a reasonable argument about using SDL instead of Allegro 5. May anyone on comment that?
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2013, 11:22 by Crimson Wizard »

« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2013, 15:36 »
What is its status? Why was it discontinued?
I guess it's much less polished than the the 3.3 engine.
Also, he mentions a reasonable argument about using SDL instead of Allegro 5. May anyone on comment that?
He just said Allegro 5 is lacking pixel drawing and palette manipulation features. Is pixel drawing really a problem? Do you think SDL provides everything, so that it would require less code to be moved to AGS itself?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2013, 17:19 »
He just said Allegro 5 is lacking pixel drawing and palette manipulation features. Is pixel drawing really a problem? Do you think SDL provides everything, so that it would require less code to be moved to AGS itself?
I know nothing of SDL, so don't know if it's less coding... I just see there's already a Mac port that probably could be used to make few releases, like Wadget Eye wanted to.
Palette manipulation may be a problem if we care of supporting 8-bit games. I know there might be some solutions for A5 too, but don't know how difficult it will be to implement them (and how effective they would be). Not sure what he meant about pixel drawing though (I ignored that part); if he means setting certain pixels, or setting raw bitmap data, Allegro 5 supports that pretty well.

« Reply #20 on: 17 Mar 2013, 05:32 »
CW, I think your refactoring plan for abstracting the interface between the engine and low-level drawing, control and audio routines, gives us the best hope.  With such an abstraction, we have more room to replace parts (or all) of Allegro 4 for whatever reason we choose.  Perhaps that could be to bring in Allegro 5, or perhaps it could be OpenGL/OpenAL via SDL.  To my knowledge, SDL is a fine library, highly-portable, performant, and comes with a strong and healthy community to support it.  But it is a lower-level construct than Allegro.

I haven't spent much time looking at Sonneveld's port, specifically, but from my meager experience with SDL, I would assume that an SDL port would almost certainly require more code (to provide some of the higher-level functionality we expect from Allegro).  This, by itself, is not a bad thing, just something to consider.  Ultimately, it's certainly not the case that all the engine runtime ports must absolutely use all the same renderer, but we do save a lot of time and effort by sharing common code.

SDL has some nice handling for error conditions (segmentation faults, etc) that help to restore the machine to the state it was prior to crashing out.  This would be an improvement over current Linux handling of certain error conditions (where the player can get stuck in some small resolution, and must log out and back in, or restart, to restore the proper resolution mode).  Allegro is reportedly much easier to integrate into a game engine, and provides many nice features for game engine designers.  In any case, some of the struggles Sonneveld had in porting out Allegro may teach us some lessons in abstraction which may help (even if, for some reason, his work cannot be continued).  I have no loyalty to either library, but I will note that far more cross-platform commercial games are based on SDL than on Allegro.  Perhaps there is a reason for that.

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2013, 11:46 »
SDL isn't perfect there either. Had plenty of crashes involving SDL-using games that did not restore the prior resolution - if it ain't coded properly in the first place it isn't going to happen.

If we're going to consider SDL, then SFML - http://www.sfml-dev.org/ - should also be considered. In any case, the abstraction layer idea is a sound one.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Joseph DiPerla

• Joseph DiPerla, Adventure Game Creator Wannabe!
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
    • I can help with web design
    •  
« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2013, 17:54 »
I personally feel now, after months of thinking about it, that AGS should move on from Allegro 4. However, that doesn't mean move away from Allegro all together. But I am open to other libraries as well. The big thing for me is portability. Pretty much all these libraries support Mac, Windows and Linux. Great. But I also own/have owned portable devices such as the PSP and Android (No longer have the psp though as I sold it) and my brother has an IPhone and IPad. We do most of our gaming on these devices rather than on our pc's. So to me, its a big deal to have those ports. It seems as if, even though its possible to port, SDL and SFML do not have official ports to those systems. No biggie I Suppose. With extra hard work, it can be done. But it makes things challenging. Here are my observations:

Latest updates:
SDL was last updated in January 2012
SFML was last updated in April 2012
Allegro was last updated in January 2013.

Ports:
SDL will function officially with Windows/Win CE, MacOS, BSD, Linux, Solaris, Irix and QNX along with unofficial ports to OS that people generally do not use anymore.
Allegro officially supports Windows, Mac, Linux, IOS, Android. Older Versions support PSP, QNX, BeOS, etc... To me, you can probably easily port version 5 to those OS as well.
SFML officially supports Windows, Linux and Mac with a promise to support more in the future.

Ease of use:
SFML - Have not messed around with it, so I couldn't tell you.
Allegro - To me, as a sort of novice C++, Allegro is complicated to me.
SDL - Even to me, this is fairly easy to implement.

Convenience:
AGS already uses Allegro. So I would think that moving from 4 to 5 would be a somewhat smooth transition. On the other hand, since SDL is easier to understand, you would have also have more of the developers understanding how to use it and improve the engine. But again, I don't think it would be that much harder with Allegro being as the developers seem to be doing very well with it.

Mixing with other libraries:
Pretty much all of them support mixing with OpenGL or DX. However, my understanding is that Allegro is far more modular than SDL or SFML, allowing you to really integrate seemlessly with other libraries. So for instance, if you wanted to use OpenGL ES for portable versions of AGS, or if you wanted to include 3D capabilities with Ogre3D, Allegro can do that easily and without any mixed interference.

Community:
SDL seems to have diminished as a community and from what I hear, support from the development team is non-existent. I haven't really checked what its like with Allegro, but it might be the same, it might night. SFML Seems to be somewhat still active on the forums though.

Speed of updates:
In order for AGS to continue to have timely updates, it should stay with what is familiar. If AGS was to move on to SDL or SFML, it would probably require a whole new rewrite of much of the engine, thus probably taking a year or longer to achieve.

Here is a good overview of these libraries that can really tell us which is better for AGS: http://elysianshadows.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6933#p80119

For me personally, I would move to Allegro 5. However, I am not a team member and I do not understand the source code all that much to begin with anyway. But from all the things I understand, Allegro 5 is the way to go. The other option would be to go the same direction of the AGS Scripting language and just have the team just create their own multimedia layer for AGS.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2013, 18:39 »
Well, I am doing a preliminary convert to Allegro 5 now. I think I forgot to mention this on forums... I told this to Janet Gilbert and JJS & BigMC via emails.

Joseph DiPerla

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2013, 18:45 »
Well, I am doing a preliminary convert to Allegro 5 now. I think I forgot to mention this on forums... I told this to Janet Gilbert and JJS & BigMC via emails.

You rock!
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #25 on: 17 Mar 2013, 20:31 »

Awesome!

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2013, 20:42 »
Well, my point was not to "champion" a particular library at all.  I'm no more advocating SDL than any other (nor was my statement "perhaps there is a reason" supposed to be read "we should use it because there must be a reason").  On the contrary, I was supporting CW's statement from earlier where he thought we should create an abstraction that helps unbind us from the underlying library.  Of course this could be Allegro 5!

Yes, I think I recall you mentioning it somewhere, but I forget exactly where.

I'm sure that others, like BigMC and I, may be able to help with some of this API work if we had a better concept of how you'd like it to turn out, like general or specific design goals.  Otherwise we step on each other's toes, or waste each other's time (or worse, slow you down  ;)).

Is this a one-person job, or are there specific areas we can help with?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2013, 21:28 »
Is this a one-person job, or are there specific areas we can help with?
Well, I have wrote graphic classes, and now trying to make the "Common" part of the source at least compile; then I will move to the "Engine" part.
I'd be very glad if someone could do the audio part, it's something I almost haven't invenstigated.
If you would have any suggestion on other parts and what I do, I will use them too ofcourse.

I am doing the work in a separate branch in my private repository, but since we will have to share the code, I guess, I'd better pull that to central repo.
I just need couple of days more to finish the changes I am doing right now.

I am trying to keep both versions of the engine (with A4 and A5) sharing same source, just using different precompile definitions and few distinct *.cpp.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2013, 21:32 by Crimson Wizard »

« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2013, 00:53 »
I'd be very glad if someone could do the audio part, it's something I almost haven't investigated.
If you would have any suggestion on other parts and what I do, I will use them too of course.

Yes, I suspected as much.  That's good because the next thing I was going to look into the widely reported audio corruption issue on Linux, which seems to be related to a very common audio daemon (runs like a Windows service, and handles all audio I/O, including mixing).  So I suppose this would be a good way for me to research both things.

I am doing the work in a separate branch in my private repository, but since we will have to share the code, I guess, I'd better pull that to central repo.

Ok, although I would be fine working with you in a shared branch, like you guys did with refactory.  Git is practically made for that sort of thing  :)

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2013, 01:08 »

Ok, although I would be fine working with you in a shared branch, like you guys did with refactory.  Git is practically made for that sort of thing  :)
But that's what I propose to do. Aren't we mean same thing?

« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2013, 01:49 »
Ah, OK.  I read "pull to central repo" to mean that you'll send a pull request to master, and then merge your changes into it, having us all collaborate on master.  You're meaning that you will pull to a new central repo for sharing work?  Sorry to misunderstand!

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2013, 07:25 »
Ah, OK.  I read "pull to central repo" to mean that you'll send a pull request to master, and then merge your changes into it, having us all collaborate on master.  You're meaning that you will pull to a new central repo for sharing work?  Sorry to misunderstand!
No, I mean making a new branch in the central repository, like "develop_allegro5" or "feature_allegro5".
I don't want to merge any WIP to master now, when the beta release is being prepared.

Also, I learnt one may add contributors to personal repository. We may use that too.

« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2013, 17:28 »
No, I mean making a new branch in the central repository, like "develop_allegro5" or "feature_allegro5".
Also, I learnt one may add contributors to personal repository. We may use that too.

Perfect, sounds great to me.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #33 on: 02 Jun 2013, 14:09 »
Alright, I know this may become annoying... but I want to honestly confess that I am in trouble here.

First, I was trying to make a lot of things at once, and could not finish single one, except for maybe releasing 3.3.0 beta, which still have irritating bugs.
At certain point I stopped working on Allegro 5 convertion, because I decided to clean up engine code more first, then I tried to work on removing some of the engine limits, which is now almost done, but so the A5 work became much delayed.
Second, I still couldn't get rid of doubts about Allegro 5 choice. 8-bit support in particular, and that really troubles me. I know some may say that it's not important, but AGS was made for people who want old-school look, and I know that there are still game developers who make 8-bit games, pretty popular ones, like Scavenger.

I must set priorities for myself to complete anything, and I really need a help of someone who knows the Allegro 5 and/or SDL libs well to help us make a good choice. I'd really wish if Scavenger, or anyone else with a knowlege in graphic programming, could check is it possible to effeciently emulate 8-bit graphics with palette on Allegro 5; because I honestly don't have time to do all this, and when I try to, my head nearly explodes :(.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #34 on: 02 Jun 2013, 18:19 »
I think that Wadjet Eye may be able to help here as we have got to the point where we are working with someone to port AGS to Mac. I've emailed you about it, Crimson Wizard!

What do people think about the possibility of changing the graphics library to SDL?

Joseph DiPerla

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #35 on: 02 Jun 2013, 18:43 »
SDL is ok. However, I feel that SDL has been abandoned or at the very least, slowly upgraded. I know that SDL supports porting easily (Easier than Allegro anyway) to other OS. But Allegro is feature rich and powerful and it can be made to work with MacOS and other OS. It is supported after all, officially. With JJS and CW and everyone else working on this, I think we will see Mac support much sooner than we think. I think the trick is to actually try and upgrade AGS to Allegro 5. However, that may break a few ports such as the PSP port. But again, I am sure it can also be remedied.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #36 on: 04 Jun 2013, 07:30 »
A small update, after short discussion the porting guy chose a path of patching Allegro 4.4 libs to make them compatible with latest OSX versions (he is up to change a graphics API used for drawing on Mac). He sounds pretty optimistic, let's hope he will achieve what he wants :).
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2013, 07:32 by Crimson Wizard »

Joseph DiPerla

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #37 on: 05 Jun 2013, 12:48 »
Is JJS doing that or are the Allegro people going to do that?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #38 on: 05 Jun 2013, 13:32 »
Is JJS doing that or are the Allegro people going to do that?
Wadjet Eye people do that.

subspark

• Some things, you just can't unsee.
    • I can help with animation
    •  
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with making music
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #39 on: 01 Nov 2013, 03:11 »
Hey folks.

Forgive the thread necro. Has there been any progress on AGS for OS X 10.6+?

I ask this with high optimism because we're in the final release phase for our first commercial AGS game.
So, obviously broadening our audience is in our best interests. Porting to OS X will cover a significant market portion for us (approx. 47% consumer uptake) if our previous consumer base is anything to go by.

8-bit image loading for Allegro 5 is happening here:
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/610190

monkey0506

• Tasting the banhammer. Strangely, tastes like ham.
« Reply #40 on: 01 Nov 2013, 06:31 »
I'm also quite interested in this. I know almost nothing about code portability, but I want to learn. It's been said here that Mac OS removed some things which Allegro 4 depended on, but later it seems that WEG had someone working on it who was quite optimistic that this could be resolved. What exactly changed, and what would need to be done to fix it?

Also, what remains to be done in the way of abstracting Allegro code from the main source?
User was banned for this post.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #41 on: 01 Nov 2013, 07:28 »
I did not have any news for a long time now, we probably should ask Janet about this.
Last time I heard of them, the developer's idea was to upgrade Allegro 4 code to make it compatible with newer OSX.

Also, what remains to be done in the way of abstracting Allegro code from the main source?
I remember palette & colors, and path operations, slightly different way to access bitmap data directly, also controllers (mouse, keyboard).
There is a research made by BigMC: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?issue=355.0

8-bit image loading for Allegro 5 is happening here:
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/610190
Yes, I saw that. If I understood that right, it is about converting 8-bit image on disk to some other format in memory (AFAIK Allegro5 uses OpenGL textures?). But what about palette manipulations, like color changing? The only information I found on this was one guy's suggestion to use shaders. I have no idea how difficult/effective that would be.
I suggest to very seriously consider the 8-bit aspect here, if we want to keep 8-bit compatibility (this was feature of AGS for years, and some people still use it in their projects).
I heard that SDL2 supports 8-bit natively. I am not an expert here, so I'd rather not make this decision (at least not alone).

UPDATE: I emailed Janet Gilbert, and what she sais basically is that the people still working on that, but this work is not their first priority, so... dunno what that means in time terms. I asked for a bit more information.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2013, 16:38 by Crimson Wizard »

« Reply #42 on: 11 Nov 2013, 18:09 »
I'm very interested in this as well.  The only thing preventing me from using AGS is not having an OSX engine that works on modern versions.  Thanks for following up on it.

« Reply #43 on: 02 Dec 2013, 23:52 »
The only information I found on this was one guy's suggestion to use shaders. I have no idea how difficult/effective that would be.

This is probably the most forward thinking - and the fastest solution. A shader based solution would be GPU accelerated and very fast. It would however be more initial work.

dunno what that means in time terms. I asked for a bit more information.
I'd assume "not going to happen" as those sort of projects get no time usually.

Question - would not the best start to be to just move all the Allegro 4 calls into an abstracted class/lib so that they are centralized for porting to 5 at a later date?

That would probably allow the community to help too.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #44 on: 03 Dec 2013, 07:29 »
The only information I found on this was one guy's suggestion to use shaders. I have no idea how difficult/effective that would be.

This is probably the most forward thinking - and the fastest solution. A shader based solution would be GPU accelerated and very fast. It would however be more initial work.
Well, I am concerned about palette cycling, which means that all the screen should have colors replaced. Does this mean applying same shader to every sprite, or some filter over final image?
Maybe someone can make a test program that shows how this can be done? I'd suggest we be sure that will work before starting this change.

Question - would not the best start to be to just move all the Allegro 4 calls into an abstracted class/lib so that they are centralized for porting to 5 at a later date?
Well, certainly.
When I tried to do this, the biggest problem I met was color type: A4 uses integer (which meaning depends on  color depth mode), but A5 uses a struct of four floats. This color type is referenced everywhere in the code, so you can't "hide" this easily.
But the internals of the engine is not the only thing; we should take plugin API into account too. Changing to different library means breaking plugin API, which means we should plan to write a new one. One thing pulls another here.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2013, 08:56 by Crimson Wizard »

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #45 on: 20 Dec 2013, 00:15 »
Hi, HumbleBundle ported the AGS engine to Mac so that we could have Gemini Rue on the Humble Bundle With Android (it's up now! So exciting!)

This means we now have a working port to Mac, and it's still Open Source, of course!

Where do you guys want it put?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #46 on: 20 Dec 2013, 00:39 »
Hi, HumbleBundle ported the AGS engine to Mac so that we could have Gemini Rue on the Humble Bundle With Android (it's up now! So exciting!)

This means we now have a working port to Mac, and it's still Open Source, of course!

Haha, great to hear! I was suspecting something about this since I've seen your news mail. I am sure alot of people will be happy :D.

Regarding this new port, we would need to see the code to compare changes and learn what needs to be done to make a merge. Is the code still originate from ags repository you have? In this case you could probably submit it as a separate branch to your personal repository on github.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #47 on: 20 Dec 2013, 14:50 »

Regarding this new port, we would need to see the code to compare changes and learn what needs to be done to make a merge. Is the code still originate from ags repository you have? In this case you could probably submit it as a separate branch to your personal repository on github.

It is not related to my AGS repository, which is heavily mucked about with to make mobile games. It is derived from the main AGS port at:

https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags

Is there a way that the porting engineer (Edward) could push his changes back there to a separate branch? I assume we want to use his changes if we can, to make the port native Mac compatible from now onward. I'm not an expert on Git. Is this a good idea? Would he need permissions to do this?

The port also contains fixes to Linux which were made for the commercial release of Gemini Rue on that platform.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #48 on: 20 Dec 2013, 16:43 »
It is not related to my AGS repository, which is heavily mucked about with to make mobile games. It is derived from the main AGS port at:

https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags

Is there a way that the porting engineer (Edward) could push his changes back there to a separate branch? I assume we want to use his changes if we can, to make the port native Mac compatible from now onward. I'm not an expert on Git. Is this a good idea? Would he need permissions to do this?

Oh, I see.
He should not push his changes directly in our main branch, because we need to check the code difference first to make sure that merging won't break our own version of the code.
Sharing code between repositories on GitHub is done using "pull requests". This is when a person has his own repository and he creates a request to merge one of his branches into one of the other people's branches (not necessarily matching ones).
If Edward used git to maintain changes history all the way, then it should not be a problem for him to create his personal GitHub repository, put the changes there, then make a pull request from his to ours.
I don't know how much has changed, maybe we will need to keep the code in a separate branch at first. We are preparing a 3.3.0 release now, and it will be not good to mess the code up. On other hand, if the changes are mostly in Mac-specific code (not the engine core), then things will be simplier.

In the worst case, if he did not maintain changes history but just has the code as-is, the steps may be:
1. Clone our ags repository to create his personal one.
2. Create a new branch (like "mac-port", etc), forking from the point at which he started his work back then.
3. Copy his new code over and make a one big commit.
Then, continue with pull request as usual.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2013, 17:04 by Crimson Wizard »

selmiak

• ǝsıɔɹǝxǝ ʞɔǝu puɐ uıɐɹq
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    • selmiak worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #49 on: 20 Dec 2013, 19:00 »
Wow, Christmas came early this year! Thanks Wadjet Eyes for bribing the nice folks at humblebundle into doing this ;) ;-D

« Reply #50 on: 20 Dec 2013, 20:32 »

Even if there's no history it can be useful to commit the changes in multiple steps, which may be doable to some extend if unrelated changes are in different files. But let's hope history exists.

Joseph DiPerla

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #51 on: 21 Dec 2013, 03:19 »
Already purchased Gemini Rue a second time for Android(Always try to do my the best I can to support AGS'ers that create commercial games) and gave Gemini Rue 5 star rating and review. More than any of the code that is available, I would love to see the full Android port seeing as you got past the Obb issues and even some user interface hickups. Great Job!

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #52 on: 21 Dec 2013, 07:31 »

Even if there's no history it can be useful to commit the changes in multiple steps, which may be doable to some extend if unrelated changes are in different files.
Aye, that's true. In fact one can split changes in one file into separate commits: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1085162/how-can-i-commit-only-part-of-a-file-in-git (does not work 100% time though).
This all depends on whether the author is going to bother doing this ;).

adeel

• Cavefish
« Reply #53 on: 23 Dec 2013, 11:33 »
Good guy HumbleBundle. Now I've found another reason to love it. ;-D
-

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #54 on: 27 Dec 2013, 22:58 »
Edward just made a pull request so we could finally see the code.
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/pull/109

It is not 100% compatible with current engine, there are few differences and at least one feature duplication, but I am sure we will sort everything out in time and merge it.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #55 on: 29 Dec 2013, 15:56 »
This is really a git question, I suppose, but is it possible to get the repository exactly as Edward left it so I can compile Wadjet Eye's other games for Mac and Linux? I have my own fork of the repository which is not really compatible with anyone elses (for iOS) and I don't want to overwrite or merge it.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #56 on: 29 Dec 2013, 16:15 »
This is really a git question, I suppose, but is it possible to get the repository exactly as Edward left it so I can compile Wadjet Eye's other games for Mac and Linux? I have my own fork of the repository which is not really compatible with anyone elses (for iOS) and I don't want to overwrite or merge it.
First (and fastest) you can just clone Edwards repository (https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git).

If you want to have that as another branch in your current repository, go to your "master" branch, find commit (f021439669696b3f94d194e2317108b56059ff4 a), fork new branch from exactly that commit and then ask Edward to make a pull request on top of that branch. This will guarantee that you'll have exactly the code that Edward has.

There's an alternative way to do this without asking Edward and arranging pull request. Unfortunately I do not know how to do this in git generally, I always used "GitExtensions" UI program for this (but I may find out).
Idea is to add another one remote source for the local repository on your computer. You will need to "register" Edward's repository as a known code source, this will let you to "see" his branches. Then you just merge his "humble" branch into your "master", or another new branch, if you like to keep that separate.

I will probably be able to give more explanations, but only after you clarify how do you work with git: do you work with git's command line (git bash), or use any program with GUI? or else?
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2013, 16:34 by Crimson Wizard »

« Reply #57 on: 29 Dec 2013, 16:37 »
If you want to add someone elses branch to your repository asking him for a pull request is a very complicated way of doing it. In your repo add his repository as remote (git remote add), check out the branch and push it to your remote repoostory. That's it.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #58 on: 29 Dec 2013, 17:06 »
Yes, right. Something like this, I recon:

(Go to your local repository folder and type those commands to command line; alternatively run git bash in that folder)

1) this registers Edward's repo at your local repo:
Code: Bash
  1. git remote add humble-geminirue https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git

2) this adds information about Edward's branches current state to your local repo:
  1. git remote update humble-geminirue

3) this copies his remote branch into yours local one (new branch named "humble-ports" will be created):
  1. git checkout -b humble-ports humble-geminirue/humble

Now you have a local branch, which is a copy of Edward's, in your local repository and can push to your remote repository, or do what you like.

Depending on whichever git UI application you are using (if you do) those steps can be performed by using menus, but without knowing which program do you use, I can't tell more.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2013, 17:11 by Crimson Wizard »

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #59 on: 30 Dec 2013, 02:36 »
Thanks guys. I'll do this as soon as my baby takes a good, solid nap tomorrow!

I use a simple GUI but it can't do anything complicated, so I use the command line for most things more complicated than committing or branching.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #60 on: 07 Jan 2014, 20:58 »
Well, my baby is at her grandmothers for the day so I finally got a chance to try this! But it didn't work :(

It seemed to work, but when I try to use Github for Mac to commit changes, it commits them and then doesn't remove the commit from the list of unsynced commits. When I try to commit again, it gives me this error message:

! [rejected]        humble-ports -> humble-ports (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@github.com:JanetGilbert/ags.git'
hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
hint: its remote counterpart.

If I instead try using the terminal, I get a different error after using git push:

error: The requested URL returned error: 403 while accessing https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git/info/refs
fatal: HTTP request failed

(the password and user name I supplied to git push were correct)

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Janet
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014, 21:01 by JanetC »

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #61 on: 07 Jan 2014, 23:44 »
Error like this indicates that there were changes to remote that are not found in your local branch. Don't know how it happened to be. Maybe you have two local repositories, or something like that?
On usual occasion this is solved by making a "git pull" before doing anything else.

If I instead try using the terminal, I get a different error after using git push:

error: The requested URL returned error: 403 while accessing https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git/info/refs

Which address do you use in git command? It should be just "https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git" instead.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014, 23:48 by Crimson Wizard »

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #62 on: 08 Jan 2014, 02:22 »
Error like this indicates that there were changes to remote that are not found in your local branch. Don't know how it happened to be. Maybe you have two local repositories, or something like that?
On usual occasion this is solved by making a "git pull" before doing anything else.

No, no local changes. "git pull" responds that there are no changes.

Which address do you use in git command? It should be just "https://github.com/humble/ags-geminirue.git" instead.

I did exactly what you suggested in your post above. I don't know where the "info/refs" came from.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #63 on: 08 Jan 2014, 07:36 »

I suddenly realized you said push. This probably means you are trying to push your branch to Edward's repository instead of your own...

EDIT: actually nevermind this, see updated section below.
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:
The command should be (assuming you used same names as in my example few posts above)
  1. git push origin humble-ports
Just tested this on my own repository.

UPD:
Ok, I found what was also wrong in previous commands. We should set proper connection between local branch and remote branch, so that your local is connected with your remote, and not with Edward's remote.
Anytime after you created a local branch, you can change the connection with:
  1. git branch --set-upstream humble-ports origin/humble-ports
This will make your local branch connect exactly to the appropriate branch in your remote repository (and not to Edward's). Also you will not have to use extra options with "push" (e.g. after this you can use just "git push").

There might be a way to do this using your gui application (probably somewhere in the repository settings).
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2014, 10:11 by Crimson Wizard »

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #64 on: 13 Jan 2014, 16:09 »
Thanks, CrimsonWizard! That worked.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #65 on: 26 Feb 2014, 14:28 »
I think we may combine few problems together into a larger "patch Allegro" one. There are number of patches that may be beneficial for AGS, including OSX support and resizing window. I think the solution could be to clone official Allegro repository, make a new branch and apply patches there. If this will be done, we may then refer version builders to this branch instead of official Allegro repository (for windows version we may remove precompiled libraries from repository and use this branch too).

Maybe there's someone who would like to try this out?

« Reply #66 on: 18 Mar 2014, 06:16 »
I think I will take a whack at this after I finish the build/packaging VM for Linux builds.  Maybe I'll have better luck than refactoring the audio API :X

One group I'm working with (which has, indeed, consumed nearly all of my time for engine fiddling) is going to need a Mac port pretty soon.  I'll be going with the Humble branch for their release, but it will be so good to have that stuff in the main branch someday.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #67 on: 18 Mar 2014, 07:19 »
Humble Bundle is going a strange way, for OSX & Linux (I think) they are putting parts of SDL2 under Allegro 4 to serve as a hidden backend.
Although I understand that Wadjet Eye needs a working result any way, I don't like where this is going. I don't think their work will help AGS much :(.

« Reply #68 on: 18 Mar 2014, 19:04 »
I thought SDL2 is just used for audio there and their port of Allegro 4 to OS X would still be useful?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #69 on: 18 Mar 2014, 20:13 »
I thought SDL2 is just used for audio there and their port of Allegro 4 to OS X would still be useful?
No, I just mean that their latest additions does not give us much benefit. I am speaking of the changes made last week to Janet's repository. I see Edward is making more SDL2 "injections" in allegro.
I wish these were changes to AGS code instead, but oh well. :tongue:

« Reply #70 on: 16 Jun 2014, 11:32 »
Sorry if I ask, especially if it's been already discussed.

Is possible to compile our games for Mac Osx? I mean for playing only, not editing. Thanks

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #71 on: 23 Dec 2014, 09:25 »
Sorry, wrong, post deleted.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2014, 09:27 by Crimson Wizard »

Mehrdad

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #72 on: 05 Oct 2015, 06:39 »
Is any news for MAC port? Is it in WIP ?

« Reply #73 on: 05 Oct 2015, 07:01 »
Is any news for MAC port? Is it in WIP ?

It's on my list to at least get an automated build going soon of what's there. There's been a few port efforts that I probably need to look through.

Any there any ports that I don't know of?
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2015, 07:23 by sonneveld »

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #74 on: 05 Oct 2015, 09:27 »
Our engine should build for Mac, unless something was broken, but it is only compatible with older versions:
It works up to Mac OS X 10.6 and Allegro 4.4 was released before Mac OS X 10.7, so that information is probably outdated.

E: Since we now have an automation server, one of the options could be making a pull request that combines Janet's Humble Bundle port (not their pull request, but the most up-to-date version, I think this: https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/commits/humble-ports) and our current master.
The pull request will never be meant for actual merging (at least not until removing precompiled binaries), but it could serve for automatic building working OSX port.
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2015, 09:56 by Crimson Wizard »

« Reply #75 on: 05 Oct 2015, 10:25 »
The pull request will never be meant for actual merging (at least not until removing precompiled binaries), but it could serve for automatic building working OSX port.
First step is to have the automation server produce osx builds :)  Sooon!

Mehrdad

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #76 on: 05 Oct 2015, 15:22 »
CW and sonneveld
Thank you for pointing that out.I'm waiting for your great news.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #77 on: 16 Oct 2015, 21:15 »
What bugs do we currently have on Wadjet Eye's Mac games and installers? I'm making a list for fixing. Have they been fixed in the latest version of the official engine?

Nine Toes

• With great beard, comes great responsibility.
« Reply #78 on: 28 Dec 2015, 00:25 »
I see there's some recent activity regarding this. I came back to the forums after a very long hiatus, and my issue is that I no longer own a Windows machine, so I'm very interested in the status of this.

What's the long and short of it? Is there a version of the editor that I can use on Yosemite currently?
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #79 on: 28 Dec 2015, 01:17 »
What's the long and short of it? Is there a version of the editor that I can use on Yosemite currently?

This particular thread never touched Editor; it is dedicated to porting AGS engine to OSX (as stated in the title).

Engine status: there is a Mac port by Wadjet Eye that can play games made with AGS 3.2.1 and lower. It is practically possible to update it to more contemporary version of engine, but it will take some work. Last time I heard about this, Janet Gilbert from WE wanted to hire programmer again to do this; also Nick Sonneveld mentioned plans to help them, but I do not personally track the progress in that area at the moment.

Editor status: there were talks about moving to Mono (as Editor is a C# program), but number of Editor parts still have dependencies on Windows runtime libraries, and it is unknown if anyone works on this.

I also heard that you may run Editor on Mac using some wrapper, but I am not a Mac person, so cannot help you here.

Nine Toes

• With great beard, comes great responsibility.
« Reply #80 on: 28 Dec 2015, 01:48 »
Ack. My mistake. But I'll look into the wrapper thing. Thanks for trying to help anyhow.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Monsieur OUXX

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #81 on: 04 Jan 2016, 10:37 »
Engine status: there is a Mac port by Wadjet Eye that can play games made with AGS 3.2.1 and lower. It is practically possible to update it to more contemporary version of engine, but it will take some work. Last time I heard about this, Janet Gilbert from WE wanted to hire programmer again to do this; also Nick Sonneveld mentioned plans to help them, but I do not personally track the progress in that area at the moment.
Alos Janet's post has been converted to a Wiki article, with added screenshots and some on-screen stuff clarified : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Releasing_a_game_on_iOS
(PS: I apologize if I'm confusing MacOS and iOS; I'm not sure if it's the same realm or not)

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #82 on: 04 Jan 2016, 13:46 »
(PS: I apologize if I'm confusing MacOS and iOS; I'm not sure if it's the same realm or not)
No, these are different ports.
Although Mac OS and iOS are both Apple :tongue:.
Our repository currently supports iOS, but only for jailbroken devices.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2016, 13:49 by Crimson Wizard »

Mehrdad

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #83 on: 28 Jan 2016, 08:27 »
Isn't any news for Mac OS port? Is it in progress or not? Mac OS is more important of Linux I think so.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #84 on: 28 Jan 2016, 12:57 »
Isn't any news for Mac OS port? Is it in progress or not? Mac OS is more important of Linux I think so.
We do not work on Mac OS port right now, our work in that direction was not started properly yet. But I think Janet Gilbert might have something since they were hiring programmer.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2016, 13:05 by Crimson Wizard »

Mehrdad

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #85 on: 28 Jan 2016, 14:52 »
Thanks CW
So Does Janet Gilbert will put here or github source or method of this port ?   

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #86 on: 28 Jan 2016, 15:43 »
AFAIK she keeps it open source and available for public use in her repository, but I do not really track her progress right now, so it is up to her to explain where you get the latest version and how you use it. I guess the fastest way is to contact her directly for this kind of info.

« Reply #87 on: 28 Jan 2016, 16:21 »
I contacted Janet about her/their OS X port last june and she directed me here. It was open source then and it probably still is.
That was as far as I got, since I don't know anything about compiling source. It would be great if you could post about your progress.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #88 on: 01 Feb 2016, 15:52 »
AFAIK she keeps it open source and available for public use in her repository, but I do not really track her progress right now, so it is up to her to explain where you get the latest version and how you use it. I guess the fastest way is to contact her directly for this kind of info.

There is no real progress on Mac at the moment, but the version that StillInThe90s linked to is just fine for most uses.

It will always be open source. We literally *can't* make it closed source as AGS is open source - we'd be breaking the terms of agreement! Besides, we don't want to :)

Anyone know a Mac programmer? We'd like some things fixed :)

Snarky

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Earl
  • Private Insultant
    •  
    •  
« Reply #89 on: 01 Feb 2016, 16:36 »
It will always be open source. We literally *can't* make it closed source as AGS is open source - we'd be breaking the terms of agreement!

Sorry to be a stickler, but this is not actually correct, since the license that AGS uses, The Artistic License 2.0, allows the distribution of modified versions without the source under certain conditions. The most relevant case is as long as you ensure that it does not interfere with installation of the standard version (which it shouldn't) and you give it a name that is different from the standard version (and I believe for this purpose, it's enough that you're distributing your games under their own titles, not just as "AGS").

Besides, we don't want to :)

:)

« Reply #90 on: 19 Feb 2016, 20:03 »
I contacted Janet about her/their OS X port last june and she directed me here. It was open source then and it probably still is.
That was as far as I got, since I don't know anything about compiling source. It would be great if you could post about your progress.

Is it possible for someone to post a download link to a compiled version of the latest mac os port? I don't really know how to compile github registries. Thanks!

Edmundito

• Mittens Serf
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2014, for 'Tween Module'
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    • Edmundito worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #91 on: 10 Mar 2016, 08:48 »
I had some free time, so I tried merging and resolving a few conflicts from the official v3.3.5.1 tag to JanetC's branch. Note that I am no expert in the AGS Engine source.

The result looked promising at a first glance. I was able to run a game. I think some of the more advanced animations seemed slow compared to the windows version.

There were a couple of major issues that I disabled in the meantime:

- The entire mouse handler has been rewritten; the way to get the mouse position is very different. This definitely causes some major cursor problem in full screen, and the mouse does not move correctly at all. In windowed mode, I saw the mouse reset to 0,0 when moving the cursor to the top outside the window.
https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/blob/humble-ports/Engine/device/mousew32.cpp#L99
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/v.3.3.5.1/Engine/device/mousew32.cpp#L103

The window mode issue can be fixed by switching this variable to 1, but the full screen problems still prevail.
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/v.3.3.5.1/Engine/device/mousew32.cpp#L62

- There's some hack involving reading the config file in the AGSMac. The way the INI file is loaded has changed as well, but may not be too much of a hard fix. I am not sure why was added:
https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/blob/humble-ports/Engine/platform/osx/acplmac.cpp#L132

- One issue I also foresee is that the graphics settings have changed from 3.2 to 3.3 and may affect the OS X migration more than expected and may cause more issues than anticipated.
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2016, 09:03 by Edmundito »
Start using the Tween 2 Module!

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #92 on: 11 Mar 2016, 17:39 »
The result looked promising at a first glance. I was able to run a game. I think some of the more advanced animations seemed slow compared to the windows version.
What renderer does OSX build use? If it has only software one supported (like on Linux) then it will be generally slower (and more slow the higher scaling filter is used).

- The entire mouse handler has been rewritten; the way to get the mouse position is very different. This definitely causes some major cursor problem in full screen, and the mouse does not move correctly at all. In windowed mode, I saw the mouse reset to 0,0 when moving the cursor to the top outside the window.
https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/blob/humble-ports/Engine/device/mousew32.cpp#L99
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/v.3.3.5.1/Engine/device/mousew32.cpp#L103

The window mode issue can be fixed by switching this variable to 1, but the full screen problems still prevail.
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/v.3.3.5.1/Engine/device/mousew32.cpp#L62
We have some mouse issues in latest code, which hopefully be resolved soon. Although the particular ones you describe are different from ones we know.
Since I do not own Mac, I can only rely on user description of the problem, so the more details you can provide (game config, logs, etc) the better. Also, the situation may be different with the latest code in the "develop-3.3.5" branch, which does not have the release tag yet.

- There's some hack involving reading the config file in the AGSMac. The way the INI file is loaded has changed as well, but may not be too much of a hard fix. I am not sure why was added:
https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/blob/humble-ports/Engine/platform/osx/acplmac.cpp#L132
This hack is no longer needed after you make this merge, because there is a similar option our engine supports, just implemented differently (category "override", item "os", for details refer to the recently added readme (https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/OPTIONS.md) ). It may be safe to completely remove this INI reading from AGSMac::GetSystemOSID().

Edmundito

• Mittens Serf
    •  
    •  
« Reply #93 on: 12 Mar 2016, 06:59 »
Crimson Wizard, merging develop-3.3.5 did indeed fix the mouse issues. This is looking very promising. I have pushed the changes into my own fork. Here is a comparison:

https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/compare/develop-3.3.5...edmundito:edmundito/osx-develop-3.3.5-clean?expand=1

To get it into the main source code, probably need to do the following:

- Pick only the os x changes (over linux and wadjet eye games specific) into a clean branch
- Encapsulate the mac modifications as #if defined (MAC_VERSION)
- Merge/rebase to develop-3.3.5 and resolve conflicts
- Fix the make files (right now I am hacking one of the game projects to make a build)
- Push and create a PR for adventuregamestudio/ags

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #94 on: 12 Mar 2016, 15:36 »
Please, we had this discussion many times. I am against putting this branch into our main repository. Two main reasons are:
1) it adds precompiled library binaries to repository, and we are against that (also, are these modified and are there sources of these?).
2) AFAIK it hacks SDL code into Allegro to make it run on mac, thus increasing general mess.
It makes it work and so serves its purpose, but it is not a clean way to do things.

Of course, separating OSX changes into a clean branch would make things easier to analyse. Also, so far it is the only up-to-date OSX version that actually works, so it would be silly to reject one. But I would suggest to keep this version in a separate repository for now until the issues I mentioned are resolved.

I also found my own suggestion made several months ago:
E: Since we now have an automation server, one of the options could be making a pull request that combines Janet's Humble Bundle port (not their pull request, but the most up-to-date version, I think this: https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/commits/humble-ports) and our current master.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2016, 21:14 by Crimson Wizard »

Edmundito

• Mittens Serf
    •  
    •  
« Reply #95 on: 13 Mar 2016, 20:32 »
Please, we had this discussion many times. I am against putting this branch into our main repository. Two main reasons are:
1) it adds precompiled library binaries to repository, and we are against that (also, are these modified and are there sources of these?).
2) AFAIK it hacks SDL code into Allegro to make it run on mac, thus increasing general mess.
It makes it work and so serves its purpose, but it is not a clean way to do things.

Of course, separating OSX changes into a clean branch would make things easier to analyse. Also, so far it is the only up-to-date OSX version that actually works, so it would be silly to reject one. But I would suggest to keep this version in a separate repository for now until the issues I mentioned are resolved.

I also found my own suggestion made several months ago:

Great points, I think your suggestion great and it's a good step to take. I would agree that having those binaries without the modified source code is dirty, but even if we can get to the point that there's an experimental "acmac" build for 3.3 and 3.4 that remains forked from the main repo would be a big accomplishment.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2016, 20:37 by Edmundito »

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #96 on: 03 Jun 2016, 18:00 »
I've really let this go (busy on other stuff), but we at Wadjet Eye are interested in releasing our games on OSX. Our old port by Edward Rudd of Humble Bundle isn't up to commercial standards anymore. It would be fantastic if OSX compatibility was part of the standard project. If anyone knows of any OSX developers who would be interested in working on this project, let us know. Otherwise I might try and muddle through (but I'm not experienced on Mac.)

The issue with the sticking mouse cursor was the worst for us (that's fixed, right?), but we also had issues with the right click not working, which is really important for our games.

We also need some fixes done on some Steam Integration stuff, but that's probably not relevant to the open source project :)

« Reply #97 on: 09 Jun 2016, 02:39 »
I've really let this go (busy on other stuff), but we at Wadjet Eye are interested in releasing our games on OSX. Our old port by Edward Rudd of Humble Bundle isn't up to commercial standards anymore. It would be fantastic if OSX compatibility was part of the standard project. If anyone knows of any OSX developers who would be interested in working on this project, let us know. Otherwise I might try and muddle through (but I'm not experienced on Mac.)

I'm keen to look at this again.. Just need to find time/energy.

Nick.

« Reply #98 on: 11 Jun 2016, 14:41 »

That depends on how close Darwin (which is the "under the hood" part of the MacOS so to speak and is a BSD Unix flavor certified SUS V3 OS) is to Linux. The Command-Line Tools component of Xcode (you get the GCC and LLVM compilers with this) and XQuartz could make everybody's life saner then having a separate coding just for the MacOS.  Macports is another tool in this regard.

I have seen a lot of things from the *nix world ported over to the Mac this way with Wine and Python being just two.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #99 on: 13 Jan 2017, 17:23 »

I'm keen to look at this again.. Just need to find time/energy.

Nick.

Nick found the time/energy :)

Anyone who wants to build on Mac can check out our OSX port at https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/tree/osx-nick

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
  • Return once more to the Two Kingdoms!
    • I can help with publishing
    •  
    •  
    • Radiant worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      Radiant worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #100 on: 06 Feb 2017, 19:50 »
I'm interested in checking this out, but before delving in the complexities of OSX development I'd really like to see an AGS executable at work.

I've found that the Engine OSX branch on the AGS Team City successfully compiles but produces no artifacts. I'm not sure why that is, perhaps someone could enable it?
Conversely the code in Janet's repo is somewhat newer but doesn't include a build.

Can someone give me a hand please? I think I could probably set up a team city account, include a fork of Janet's repo, and have it automatically build that; but somebody else has probably already done that? TIA!

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #101 on: 06 Feb 2017, 20:02 »
I'm interested in checking this out, but before delving in the complexities of OSX development I'd really like to see an AGS executable at work.

I've found that the Engine OSX branch on the AGS Team City successfully compiles but produces no artifacts. I'm not sure why that is, perhaps someone could enable it?
Conversely the code in Janet's repo is somewhat newer but doesn't include a build.

I suggest contacting Janet or Nick Sonneveld directly, they do not seem to come on forums very often, but they are probably only people that may shed some light on this.

BTW, from what I noticed, Janet's version may be compatible only to AGS 3.3.5.

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #102 on: 06 Feb 2017, 20:13 »
All right, I can do that.

But can you tell me why artifacts are disabled for OSX on Teamcity? That would be an easy place to get a sample executable, otherwise.

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #103 on: 06 Feb 2017, 20:28 »
But can you tell me why artifacts are disabled for OSX on Teamcity? That would be an easy place to get a sample executable, otherwise.
Um... no idea. Also it was built 3 months ago last time, which makes me think that it was excluded from work at some point.

I have a suspicion that it does not produce a working universal engine, but you have to build an application for every your game separately.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2017, 20:29 by Crimson Wizard »

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #104 on: 06 Feb 2017, 20:41 »
Could we switch it on and try?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #105 on: 06 Feb 2017, 21:54 »
Could we switch it on and try?
It was scheduled to run on machine that is no longer available. That could be one the Nick Sonneveld's private computer, or some server he owned.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #106 on: 08 Feb 2017, 18:08 »
Anyone who wants to build for Mac, check out the port Nick Sonneveld did for Wadjet Eye!

JanetGilbert/ags
Branch: osx-nick

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #107 on: 08 Feb 2017, 21:56 »
Anyone who wants to build for Mac, check out the port Nick Sonneveld did for Wadjet Eye!

Thank you, I have found the git branch but I'm wondering if a compiled executable is on the web somewhere.

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #108 on: 11 Feb 2017, 18:41 »

Thank you, I have found the git branch but I'm wondering if a compiled executable is on the web somewhere.

No, you have to compile it yourself! Sorry!

Mehrdad

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #109 on: 09 Mar 2017, 15:15 »
Hi
Isn't any manual step by step for compile to Mac OS ? I haven't knowledge for use from Github .

Much appreciate for any help

JanetC

• Mittens Serf
« Reply #110 on: 13 Mar 2017, 21:08 »
Hi
Isn't any manual step by step for compile to Mac OS ? I haven't knowledge for use from Github .

Much appreciate for any help

It works in much the same way as the iOS version, described here:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52219.0

(That is a little outdated now but it should provide a starting point.)

Note that Nick changed the way that projects work so now you add a new scheme to the existing project, rather than copying and renaming a project.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2017, 21:11 by JanetC »

Mehrdad

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #111 on: 14 Mar 2017, 07:01 »
Thanks a lot Janet . I'll try it and get helps by my friends and this topic if was any serious question .

Edmundito

• Mittens Serf
    •  
    •  
« Reply #112 on: 27 Nov 2017, 06:45 »
Hello, I'm trying to make a build with the Mac port again and I forgot all the steps. I ran into an issue with patching allegro:

cd OSX/buildlibs
make

I get the error:
"patch: **** malformed patch at line 1874: diff --git a/src/ios/idrivers.c b/src/ios/idrivers.c"

When I look in OSX/buildlibs/build/allegro-4.4.2/src, there is no "ios" directory. I also looked at the allegro source and the tag "4.4.2" and there was no "ios" directory.

I see a comment from Nick in the Makefile:
"# - to update patch: git diff 4.4.2..osx-update > ../ags/OSX/patches/allegro-4.4.2.patch"

Is there a step I am missing?

« Reply #113 on: 02 Dec 2017, 20:47 »
Edmundito,

Did you have any luck building a Mac port? Which version of Xcode are you using?

I'm running 9.1 and it's complaining about a lot of missing frameworks (CoreVideo, Cocoa, etc) from the osx-nick branch. Could use some help getting this off the ground.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2018, 00:20 by vga256 »

Edmundito

• Mittens Serf
    •  
    •  
« Reply #114 on: 03 Dec 2017, 19:51 »
I was able to make a build with 3.4.1 but it was not easy and not perfect. It seems that the game runs for now, we are testing to see where it breaks.

I've detail the current instructions here, you will need to be familiar with Xcode, Make, etc. Please follow them step by step:

https://gist.github.com/edmundito/4cc578f6eee51db7d20882cfa222b015

In summary:
- The OSX project is outdated with ags 3.4.1 but may work with ~3.4.0.13
- Some hacking needs to be done to make it work
- Allegro needs to be repatched properly to support ags 3.4.1

I recommend trying with v.3.4.0.13 or a later master hash 911fa50e7d19ea03629523bac952af5dc1b1845 3, I had luck making a build with around the part of the code last year. If you can get it to work then I would try v.3.4.0.16 which is the latest tag.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2017, 19:54 by Edmundito »

« Reply #115 on: 04 Dec 2017, 14:55 »
Thanks so much for the build instructions - I'm going to try these out today and see how far I get. The Xcode branch has always been extremely fragile and difficult to patch/build plugins for - I'll let you know what my results are.

Update: Ah, I had forgotten to 'make install' the buildlib folder. Again, I'm using the osx-nick branch, so 99% of the work was already done for me.
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2017, 16:16 by drblackfox »

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #116 on: 26 Dec 2017, 12:00 »
Ok, I'm giving this a spin now, following Edmundito's instructions.

The step "make the libraries" fails. If I then do a checkout to v.3.4.0.13 and make again, it again fails. The error I'm getting is 'QuickTime/QuickTime.h' file not found.

Any advice on how to proceed from here please?

(edit) wait, I thought this was El Capitan but it turns out to be High Sierra. SDK 10.11 did the trick. The make process throws a lot of warnings but nothing stands out as problematic.

(edit edit) nope. I cheeck out to master again; replace the file.c file; remove the patch line from the Makefile and make again. This doesn't work. The two errors are cannot find interface declaration for NSQuickDrawView, superclass of llegroView; and unknown type name CGDirectPaletteRef. Maybe I should just try building 3.4.0 instead of the latest AGS version?

(edit edit edit) ignoring the above error, I open Xcode. First I get two errors to "change to recommended settings", which I allow. Now I get eight 'multiple build commands' warnings which don't seem important, and an allegro.h file not found (in draw.h)...
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2017, 12:38 by Radiant »

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #117 on: 26 Dec 2017, 13:56 »
Ok, it seems the AGSKit project cannot find the library files, and the ags project cannot find the header files. Adding these to the search paths in the respective xcode targets seem to help, but perhaps there's a better way than doing this manually?

I'm now getting a file not found on alplatf.h; looking through the folder there's an alplatf.h.cmake file which appears to be a proper C header; I'm not sure where the .cmake part comes from, maybe allegro didn't properly build?

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #118 on: 26 Dec 2017, 13:59 »
I'm now getting a file not found on alplatf.h; looking through the folder there's an alplatf.h.cmake file which appears to be a proper C header; I'm not sure where the .cmake part comes from, maybe allegro didn't properly build?

Don't know anything about OSX build, but I know that alplatf.h is supposed to be generated if you run cmake script.

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #119 on: 26 Dec 2017, 14:10 »
Yes, most .h files appear to be generated but not this one...

(edit) I basically conclude that the trick with getting file.c from sourceforge causes Allegro to not build. If I skip this step, then Allegro does build, but it appears to not cmake the proper header files. I'm not sure how to proceed from here.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2017, 14:20 by Radiant »

« Reply #120 on: 02 Jan 2018, 02:38 »
@Radiant: I'm away from my workstation right now, but have you tried to build Janet's 'osx-nick' branch? It built fine for me on Sierra with the latest Xcode. The trick for me was building the libraries using Terminal properly. If you can get it to build, it might help narrow down your header/search path issues.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2018, 02:41 by vga256 »

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #121 on: 02 Jan 2018, 07:39 »
I was using the main AGS branch so far, I'll give Janet's branch a shot. What do you mean by "using Terminal properly"?

« Reply #122 on: 02 Jan 2018, 22:35 »
Gah, sorry. Back at my workstation now.

To clarify, I meant that I needed to build the libraries properly in the /buildlibs folder, and I had to do it from within the Terminal.
In the osx-nick branch, the /ags/OSX/buildlibs folder has a README.md file that details how to build the libraries from scratch:
1. install homebrew
2. brew install pkg-config autoconf automake libtool cmake curl
3. install xcode *and* the command line tools
4. sudo xcode-select --reset
5. build the libraries with: make install

I initially missed those steps the first time I checked out the osx-nick branch and could not build.. hence why I meant 'using Terminal properly' ;)

« Reply #123 on: 25 Jan 2018, 22:44 »
Quick update: I have AGS 3.4.1.11 working successfully. I had to modify a few of Edmundo's steps to get it working on my machine. There are many issues with getting it working, thankfully there are workarounds.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2018, 01:16 by vga256 »

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #124 on: 28 Jan 2018, 21:38 »
Ok, I'm trying this out now. But neither the AGS repo nor Janet's has a branch named osx-nick...

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #125 on: 28 Jan 2018, 21:41 »
Ok, I'm trying this out now. But neither the AGS repo nor Janet's has a branch named osx-nick...

https://github.com/JanetGilbert/ags/tree/osx-nick

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #126 on: 28 Jan 2018, 21:42 »
Thanks. Looks like I missed the 'next page' button on the GitHub site :)

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #127 on: 28 Jan 2018, 21:48 »
Ok, so far so good. Brew install etc etc reported nothing new was required. Xcode reset gave no response, which I take to mean 'no errors' Linux-style. Now running make install.

(edit) Ok, that generated a bunch of warnings but appears to work. Thanks for the tip. Now let's see about Xcode...

(edit) Success! Ok, I had to google some odd stuff like 'how to switch xcode to release mode' and 'where on earth does Xcode place my executable' but it seems to work fine :)
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2018, 22:13 by Radiant »

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #128 on: 28 Jan 2018, 22:32 »
Great, thanks everyone for your help.

I have a few questions though. If a game has a (filename).001 file with extra rooms and such, can I just add this to the ags/Resources folder within Xcode? What about .TRA translation files? The OSX version doesn't appear to have acsetup so how do I set a translation? Finally, does this support the AGSteam plugin and if so, how? Currently running an AGSteam game aborts with an unresolved import.

« Reply #129 on: 05 May 2018, 03:37 »
Hey Radiant! Did things eventually worked out for you?

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #130 on: 05 May 2018, 07:47 »
We've got a Discord group that's working on it. I'll have to test the current build this weekend.

« Reply #131 on: 05 May 2018, 13:39 »
Did you had to fork and do new stuff to get it working? Are your modifications public? I am.going to start messing with OSX build soon. Can it run plug-ins? I was interested into trying to add joystick support.

Radiant

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Knight
    •  
    •  
« Reply #132 on: 07 May 2018, 23:39 »
So far I'm running off a clone, not a fork. I haven't figured out how to use plugins yet. It would be easiest if you PM Edmundito and ask him to add you to the Discord channel, we're discussing it there. HTH!

tzachs

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Parking Goat- games that goats like!
    •  
    • tzachs worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #133 on: 05 Jun 2018, 16:12 »
Heads up: Apple is deprecating OpenGL for macos: https://developer.apple.com/macos/whats-new/ :~(

Seems as the 2 possible options for supporting mac long term are either metal or vulcan using moltenvk (and of course supporting vulkan should give performance benefits on all platforms whereas metal is apple platforms only).

« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2018, 16:52 by tzachs »

Crimson Wizard

• Local Moderator
    •  
    •  
« Reply #134 on: 05 Jun 2018, 16:37 »
Seems as the 2 possible options for supporting mac long term are either metal or vulcan using moltenvk (and of course supporting vulcan should give performance benefits on all platforms whereas metal is apple platforms only).

Hopefully we won't have to do that ourselves; when we switch to SDL we just use whatever it supports.

tzachs

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Parking Goat- games that goats like!
    •  
    • tzachs worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #135 on: 05 Jun 2018, 18:16 »
Ah, right, forgot about the SDL effort, yeah, they seem to have vulkan support for mac: https://discourse.libsdl.org/t/sdl-2-0-8-released/23957

monkey0506

• Tasting the banhammer. Strangely, tastes like ham.
« Reply #136 on: 07 Jun 2018, 01:59 »
It's still a bit of a mess, but I got a working build of a game project (not a real game) running on OS X High Sierra with Steam achievements.

I cloned Janet's osx-nick branch and reused the WEG Xcode workspace files (and the Shivah project files). I tried to figure out how to embed a binary version of AGSteam into the app, but I kept getting an error that the library didn't exist in the final executable. So instead I followed the approach that was already partially implemented by WEG (judging by the project files and the lack of an existing port of AGSteam to Mac), and built the AGSteam source directly as part of the project files. Took a bit of knackering about as I've never used Xcode (or even OS X) before, but it definitely is working.

I will try to make a more detailed post of what I did after I try to abstract it out of the WEG files. ;)
User was banned for this post.