Melrin: The Disciple Ordeal

Started by Joacim Andersson, Wed 12/03/2003 11:38:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Joacim Andersson

Hi gang,
[ *OLD STUFF * ]
I've just completed part one of the first game I've ever made with AGS. It's called Melrin: The Desciple Ordeal, and I can't really tell you to much about it because the game starts with that our hero Melrin is in a strange land and he has no idea how he camed there, or why. Actually he doesn't remember anything, beside his name. So your job is first to find out how he camed there and why?

That's the first mission in the game, and because of that I can't tell you anything more about it.
[/ * OLD STUFF * ]
This is now the full 4 part game. I've changed the GUI a bit and also the resolution to 640x480 so you wont be confused by all the scrolling rooms.

You can download it from here:
http://www.brixoft.net/Melrin.zip (3.xx MB)

Please let me know what you think of it, just keep in mind that this is my very first game... Ã, :)

Cheers,

Joacim

MillsJROSS

I'll try to download it when I get home from Sprink Break...but I can't wait.

-MillsJROSS

Joacim Andersson

I've created a couple of screen shots for you to enjoy (or hate)...

/J

Igor

I like it! Very interesting- it looks very similar to SNES RPGs. I didn't finish it yet, but i sure will :)

Just one suggestion: since it resembels RPGs so much, it would be good idea, if there would be only one cursor for all the actions (instead of Sierra GUI). I think it would be easier to play.

FenderQ

:o This is really good.  I really am enjoying this game.

Spoiler

It really freaked me out when I decided to stick around and that monster chased me.  I tried to run.  But unfortunately could not escape.
[close]

I really liked the graphic style too.  Only thing was the sound seemed very quiet on my computer.  Had to jack up the volume.

Once I heard the music, I liked that too, matches the style of game.

Good job.  :)

Joacim Andersson

Igor:

I think the main reason it looks much like SNES RPG games is because I've created all the backgrounds using bitmap tiles, however I'm not sure that I want to change the GUI though...

FenderQ:
Spoiler
It's fully possible to escape from the monster even if he has started chasing you simply by leaving the screen (or the room to use AGS terms, but it's not really a room, is it  :)). But the thing is that you should not always try to escape from him...
[close]

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Nostradamus

Nice little RPG.
I think you should add a couple of more music tunes. Having only that one is getting annyoying after a while.

Help:
Spoiler
I entered the door with the gold key, stood on the tile and opened the stairs. It seems like I need a light source to get in. Where do I get a light source?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Nostrademus:
Spoiler
Well, the entrance to where the light source can be found is a couple of screens south of the stairs. But you'll need some magical power to get in there. How many magical spheres have you found? Have you talked to the Ferry of the Heart?
[close]

Nostradamus

well,
Spoiler
I talked to the fairy and the statue and found no spheres.
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
The fairy (I must change the spelling in my game <g>) gives you one sphere that gives you the power to stun and freeze some creatues (have you seen any you can use it on). When you have used it maybe you have time to admire the nature around you... And make sure you look at your items in the inventory list
[close]

Nostradamus

Spoiler
well yes I did get the freeze spell and used it on that brown creature but I can't find anything there. Can you be more direct please?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
OK...  After you have freezed the creature make sure that you either look or interact with EVERY tree in that small forest, and again make sure that you have a look at each new item in the inventory...
[close]

Nostradamus

Spoiler
OK thanks, I'll try that. That's hard cos there are trees everywhere in the gamemap so guessing there would be something in a group of specific trees is not something that would come to my mind.
[close]

deltamatrix

Hey! Finally got round to d/loading it. Nice game youve got here.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Frogman

Yeah, nice art!  This is a cool game...music's from Chrono Cross, isn't it?  I love the music in that game!

Nostradamus

Spoiler
OK I dug the undertaker, and got the spell of braking. But I have no idea what I need to brake
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Nostradamus:
Spoiler
Mountain walls! However most of them are solid, find places where they are not. When you stand on the screen where the bridge is have you noticed that you actually can go south from there? Another screen have water that are in the way so you can't explore all of it, can you reach that place?
[close]

Nostradamus

more help please:
Spoiler
I found the place and broke the wall but that monster keeps killing me. I'm suppsoed to make him not see me so I suppose I need to find a sphere that gives me an invisibility spell. Where is it?
[close]

Jimi

*Jimi drops dead after seeing the screenshots....then somehow manages to start downloading it!*  :P

Joacim Andersson

Nostradamus:
Spoiler
Actually my previous reply did give you a hint about that. If you want I could of course just tell you exactly where it is but would that be any fun? If you found the guardian you are close... Cross but do not enter but walk to the west... I don't know if I'm to cryptic but I don't think so...
[close]

Jimi

Spoiler
I just talked to the fairy, and got the thing that turns beasts to ice, and have NO ideas what to do!
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Jimi:
Spoiler
Find someone to use it on, so you have time to fully explore that "room".
[close]

Jimi

Spoiler
OK, I got a key, but Now I can't find the locked door!  :'(
[close]

I have a suggestion for if you make a version 1.5 of the game:

The statue gives you a map of the areas. I keep getting lost.

Joacim Andersson

Jimi:
Spoiler
If you have the correct key, there is two of them... the door is to the far north-east.
[close]
A map? Naah, that would make it to easy... You're supposed to be lost, that's a part of the game...
Spoiler
Just wait until you have found the way to the maze... If you don't figure out the clue that is somewhere in the game you will really be lost then...:)
[close]

Jimi

Spoiler
OK. I have opened the hole in the ground, but how am I meant to get down there if I can't see?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Jimi; you should read some of the previous answers in this thread so I don't have to repeat myself  ;)

Spoiler
Obviously by finding some light source... as mentioned above; read the earlier posts in this thread.
[close]

gemma

please help me stuck in a great game.
(hide)I'm stuck in the maze. Where do I go when I enter it? I've worked out how to get out but not how and where to go. A non-cryptic answer would be greatly appreciated(/hide)
Hope that ends up hidden as I've never done this before.

Joacim Andersson

Nope it didn't end up hidden  :)

Spoiler
Did you take the note from the bridge? Then look at it by clicking it on Melrin. Look at the name on the bottom, ignore the "i" in the name.
[close]

Alex Lowes

Hello I really havend played your game yet but if you are looking for voice actors for your game.
I have abou 13 actors willing to help you.
if you are interested please e-mail me at:
lowesalex@hotmail.com
anyone else who would like help can also e-mail me( even if you would like helping me by beeing a new actor).

Vildern

Looks like a great game. I like the music. Hamm, it isn't the full version of the game, right?

I'm now stuck in the maze. But, I think I'll manage to find out what do to.

Vildern

Oh, I see it isn't the full version. I just finished the game. Job well done, I'd say - it was awesome. When will the other parts be released?

Joacim Andersson

Quote from: Vildern on Mon 14/04/2003 19:13:57
Oh, I see it isn't the full version. I just finished the game. Job well done, I'd say - it was awesome. When will the other parts be released?
The full game is now released. Changes have been made to the GUI and the resolution has been changed to 640x480 to avoid confusion with all the scrolling rooms.

The download link in the origional post (that started this thread) has been updated so you can now enjoy all four parts of the game. Besides the resolution and the GUI changes I've also updated many of the sprites and added more animations.

Oh yeah, there is also a second Melrin game available called "Melrin: The pendant quest" which you can download from here. In this second game you can't die

JG0630

Quote from: Joacim Andersson on Tue 10/08/2004 15:16:49
Quote from: Vildern on Mon 14/04/2003 19:13:57
The full game is now released. Changes have been made to the GUI and the resolution has been changed to 640x480 to avoid confusion with all the scrolling rooms.

The download link in the origional post (that started this thread) has been updated so you can now enjoy all four parts of the game. Besides the resolution and the GUI changes I've also updated many of the sprites and added more animations.

**SPOILER**

Figured it out...sorry~

Joacim Andersson

JG0630:
Spoiler
This can happen if you don't look at the map when you enter the maze. Try going south twice to leave the maze. Then enter it again and look at the map and make sure to go in the correct directions.
[close]
Cheers,

J

zany

Pleases help! I'm stuck in the maze. I've found the note and the direction I've it work out as :
west,north,east,north, east.

Even tried it backwards, still nothing  :(

Joacim Andersson

West, north, east, north, east? That doesn't sound right. What name do you have on the note?

zany

The name was given as : /Winene

Joacim Andersson

Sorry, you are correct about the directions you have to walk. Try this: Leave the maze (by going south twice). When you're in the dark room with the message on the floor enter the maze again and then look at the note (by clicking it on Melrin) then follow the path. If you make a misstake you have to leave and do the whole procedure again.

zany

Thanks alot  :D

Now I'm stuck with making fire spell to protect myself from the phoenix.

I have the white shell, a fence post, levitation spell, the list, the three crystals & the metal bowl. I've been walking around in circles, but couldn't find anything useful or new.   :-[ The door to the house is locked and has yet to figure out a way to open it. Any hints would be helpful

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
(This does not refer to the one on the beach.) Have you noticed that one of the barrels looks different from the others? Have you noticed that one of the barrels looks different from the others? (I'm repeating myself for some reason, why? I don't really know.)
[close]

zany

Thanks again, Joacim,  now I'm off to play eps. 2 :)

Joacim Andersson

Cool, don't forget episode 3 :)

ballin gurl

I'm stuck!!
I've made the black bat and the shell and put it in the bowl but I don't know what to do next????  the door is locked and I can't figure out how to unlock it??? and where is the ghost cloak??/

Quote from: Joacim Andersson on Fri 05/11/2004 13:46:13
Spoiler
(This does not refer to the one on the beach.) Have you noticed that one of the barrels looks different from the others? Have you noticed that one of the barrels looks different from the others? (I'm repeating myself for some reason, why? I don't really know.)
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
You'll need a key. So you've made the bat, hey? You needed a tool to create that, where did you find that tool?
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Gurl, kindly do NOT bump threads a year old to ask for hints. Use the Hints and Tips forum, as it says on this board's rules.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk