Background blitz - On my way - VOTING OPEN

Started by Anian, Sat 29/12/2012 14:47:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Anian

On my way - interior in transport

Backgrounds are not just about castles, meadows and far off planets, you have to get there...even in a game.
To be more specific - interior scenes from cabins or cargo vagons on a train, ship cabins, cockpit on a plane, inside a space pod, back seat of a bus, underground train or a tram carriage, maybe inside a horse drawn carriage as well...basically small spaces in transport locations and NOT stuff like restaurants on a ship or a bridge on a space ship etc. Look at the screenshot above for an example and feel of it. It would be very nice if there was a walking area, but space is limited and maybe cramped.

Keep the resolutions standard, but you are more than welcome to make the space smaller than the actual background (again as in example above).
Deadline is January 10th, should be plenty of time but since there's the whole NY celebration thing and holidays and such, ask for an extension if you think you're not gonna make it in time.

Hope this is challenging and fun enough for everybody. Good luck. :smiley:

EDIT:
VOTING OPEN
VOTING ENDS Jan 16th!

Categories:
Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a game background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene). (this can be little more losely judged since I left the theme a bit open to interpretation I guess)
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Ilyich

Oh, man, love the theme! Hope I'll find time to whip something up - been meaning to draw a public transport-related scene for a while now. :)

Anian

Quote from: Ilyich on Sat 29/12/2012 16:31:58
Oh, man, love the theme! Hope I'll find time to whip something up - been meaning to draw a public transport-related scene for a while now. :)
Well I just hope more people will have the same attitude.  :)

Misj'

Quote from: Anian on Sat 29/12/2012 14:47:20
...basically small spaces in transport locations...

Hmmm...let's see if I can pull off a scene with no walkable areas and a very limited light-source (yes, it will fit the theme). :)

MurrayL

CaptainD

Anian

Quote from: MurrayL on Mon 31/12/2012 14:22:37
How's this for a cramped space?
Well I'm not going to be the only one voting, but to be honest I don't really know what I'm looking at there.

Tabata

Quote from: Anian on Mon 31/12/2012 17:32:08
Quote from: MurrayL on Mon 31/12/2012 14:22:37
How's this for a cramped space?
Well I'm not going to be the only one voting, but to be honest I don't really know what I'm looking at there.
For me it looks definitely like a car boot - without flap (wtf)

A cool idea Murray!
Let's use it for a cuddly operational excursion   :grin:

MurrayL

Yeah I wasn't sure how best to show the flap, so I omitted it. The idea is that the player character is locked in the boot :)

cat

Tabata

Cat, nice one!
... and you get a bonus point for using the correct beverage can 

yarooze

My Blog

selmiak

What can our fearless hero expect when leaving this small cabin of transportation, especially after the cabin lights went out on this strangely numbered floor?...

[imgzoom]http://selmiak.bplaced.net/stuff/transport.jpg[/imgzoom]

more alone in the dark than AGS but had to get this out of my head on this saturday night :D

Anian

Very nice people, I'm glad the theme sparked some motivation. Now lets see some more!  :smiley:

Ilyich

Phew, barely made it in time! Here we go:

CaptainD

Wow Ilyich you are such a good artist!  That's just brilliant.

Anian

Nice entries everybody, good luck to you all. I'm so sorry, I lost track of time. TIME TO VOTE!

cat

Alright, I'll start to vote:

Idea: selmiak
Atmosphere: selmiak
Design: Ilyich
Composition: yarooze
Functionality: Ilyich
Technique: Ilyich

CaptainD

Idea: Yarooza
Atmosphere: Ilyich