AGS Awards 2012 (Winners!)

Started by , Thu 03/01/2013 02:36:43

Previous topic - Next topic

bicilotti

A            
G Awards 2012
S            

Welcome to the AGS Awards, the annual event where the you, the player, choose the best games of the year!

Party is over, read the log of the ceremony!

Step # 0 - play them games!
You have some time to play games made in 2012. Don't know where to start? Check the for your consideration thread or the old big database!
Step # 1 - nomination time!
Select games you deem worthy in each category!
Step # 2 - vote, folks!
Pick from the nominees and we get a winner!
Step # 3 - party!
Big party to celebrate the winners!

And please, scream, rock and comment in this thread!

LTGiants2000

I would LOVE to see Captain Disaster and his trusty companion Zero-Bit present an award at the ceremonies this year! :)

Ponch

Kconan forgot to mention that Bolt Action is the only AGS freeware game that comes in a box!

This game is a clear winner for "Best AGS Game In A Box"  :=

Andail

I have to say I'm glad I'm not competing this year :) lots of amazing titles!

CaptainD

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Sun 06/01/2013 19:23:37
I would LOVE to see Captain Disaster and his trusty companion Zero-Bit present an award at the ceremonies this year! :)

That would be cool, but I'm pretty sure he would make a mess of things somehow!  :P  Probably endangering the whole galaxy in the process...  (roll)

Knoodn

Quote from: Andail on Tue 08/01/2013 09:22:30
I have to say I'm glad I'm not competing this year :) lots of amazing titles!
Too true! I'm competing and even I would vote for so many other games then mine. ;)

By the way what's about a banner on the top of the forums with the links to the threads - like the last years?

bicilotti

Quote from: Knoodn on Wed 09/01/2013 18:36:36
By the way what's about a banner on the top of the forums with the links to the threads - like the last years?

Good idea. Once the nomination page is sorted out, I will ask AGA to do his magic!

Iliya

Is it obligatory to add the game in the database in order to be nominated?

cat

Yes. You can add your games for next year's awards.

bicilotti

Quote from: Iliya on Thu 10/01/2013 14:42:37
Is it obligatory to add the game in the database in order to be nominated?

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/01/2013 14:45:15
Yes. You can add your games for next year's awards.

Indeed, cat is correct.

cat

I wanted to start playing the games from the "For your consideration" thread only to realize that many of the games there aren't even eligible for the awards because they are either not in the database or or weren't added last year. This is pretty annoying. Could the authors (or a moderator) please remove those games from the thread?

AGA

Every single game posted is eligible, it's just some people failed to post games page links.  I've gone through and edited those in now.

Two of the games were released as patch of the Summerbatch or Bake Sale, both of which were released last year.

cat

Well, there is no DB entry for
Barn Runner: The Rich Dame Who Cut The Cheese (Bake Sale)
Patchwork (the DB entry was only added this year, so it should be for next year's awards)
Cosmos Quest IV: The Ayatolian March

I thought a game is only eligible if there is a games page entry made in the previous year, no matter when it was created.
I just want to play the games for the awards now, so I can nominate. The other games I can play afterwards.

AGA

Quote from: cat on Sun 20/01/2013 13:27:21
Well, there is no DB entry for
Barn Runner: The Rich Dame Who Cut The Cheese (Bake Sale)
Patchwork (the DB entry was only added this year, so it should be for next year's awards)
Cosmos Quest IV: The Ayatolian March

I thought a game is only eligible if there is a games page entry made in the previous year, no matter when it was created.
I just want to play the games for the awards now, so I can nominate. The other games I can play afterwards.

• Patchwork's release date has since been corrected.
  • I'm speaking to Ponch about the Barn Runner one.
  • Cosmos Quest IV I completely missed somehow.  Iliya, if you could add a games page entry for Cosmos Quest IV, I'll set the release date as 18 May 2012, as that's what your site shows the release date as being.

I don't think it's fair for people's games not to be eligible if they failed to add a games page entry (although I don't really understand why people wouldn't add one automatically...)  A games page entry is required for the voting system to work, but if someone adds an entry now, and can prove to me the game was originally released in 2012, I'm happy to change the release date in the games database to the correct one.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Yeah, it shouldn't really matter whether or not they entered it in the database, though it does make things more complicated if they actually want to participate in the awards.  Perhaps the voting system should be separated from the database and just use a form where the games can be entered instead (wasn't that how it used to be anyway?).  Specific issues I see occuring are people who have nominated an authors game when that author is not around to add it to the database, though I suppose in that circumstance a rule that only people working on the game in question can nominate it would solve that problem.

AGA

The trouble is you cannot rely on people actually typing the name of a game correctly, so unless you have an automated script drawing information from a reliable source (like the games page), you require a human to spend hours going through and processing the results.  Which I'm not willing to do when this method would work perfectly if people weren't silly enough to not put their game in the database.  I think DGMacphee and SSH used to have to do this back in the early days of the Awards, but it's really unnecessary.

It's not like there's any good reason not to add your game to the games page; if anything, having your game listed and rated on the official AGS site is going to bring more attention to it.

If it does come down to needing to add a game when the author isn't around, I can do it and fiddle the data to make it seem as though the original author added it (and retains access rights to it).

bicilotti

Quote from: AGA on Sun 20/01/2013 14:40:05
I don't think it's fair for people's games not to be eligible if they failed to add a games page entry (although I don't really understand why people wouldn't add one automatically...)  A games page entry is required for the voting system to work, but if someone adds an entry now, and can prove to me the game was originally released in 2012, I'm happy to change the release date in the games database to the correct one.

I have been pretty strict on DB entries (as Broomie can witness), because I feel it's only fair to all of the contestant (and if you didn't care to add your game to the DB, I suspect little you care about the Awards anyway).

Every year there is a 'remind to add your game to the db if you want it to be eligible for the awards' thread, too.

I am willing to make an exception to a bake sale's games (or other bundled stuff), as it's cumbersome to add a db entry for  game you can't even download a demo of, but Patchwork and Cosmos Quest will have to wait until next year.

edit: Patchwork was in a bundle, too

Iliya

You should rename the awards to AGS Games Database Awards 2012. My game is created with AGS and it's released in 2012.

bicilotti

Quote from: Iliya on Sun 20/01/2013 19:07:06
You should rename the awards to AGS Games Database Awards 2012. My game is created with AGS and it's released in 2012.

I dislike quoting myself, but

Quote from: bicilotti on Thu 01/11/2012 20:35:39
Don't you forget!

Hello gamemakers!

I am writing to remind you all that, if you want to be eligible for the AGS Awards 2012 you must add your game to the big database before the year is over!

So, if you haven't already, add your game now!

It's a rule, and as all rules it can be changed; but for this year, I think it would be fair to apply it as I have done it in previous years.

Ilyich

Quote from: bicilotti on Sun 20/01/2013 18:17:50
I am willing to make an exception to a bake sale's games (or other bundled stuff), as it's cumbersome to add a db entry for  game you can't even download a demo of, but Patchwork and Cosmos Quest will have to wait until next year.

Patchwork is bundled stuff (Summerbatch) that you couldn't have even downloaded a demo of, though, no? I made it freeware and added it to the DB as soon as I could without breaching my contractual obligations. :)

I am fine with whatever you guys decide, though, just pointing out that me adding the game too late was not in fact the result of blatant disrespect for AGS Awards' rules and it's organizers, and that I love each and every one of you. :)

bicilotti

Quote from: Ilyich on Sun 20/01/2013 20:20:40
Quote from: bicilotti on Sun 20/01/2013 18:17:50

Patchwork is bundled stuff (Summerbatch) that you couldn't have even downloaded a demo of, though, no? I made it freeware and added it to the DB as soon as I could without breaching my contractual obligations. :)

I am fine with whatever you guys decide, though, just pointing out that me adding the game too late was not in fact the result of blatant disrespect for AGS Awards' rules and it's organizers, and that I love each and every one of you. :)

Woops my bad! I didn't recall that it was bundled with the Batch. You shall pass!

Iliya

I'm not going to add my games in the games database this year or the next year. I have my reasons. And I understand - the rules are rules. I appreciate all bicilotti's efforts for the awards and I wish luck to all contestants.

Ponch

I removed my Bake Sale game from the "For Your Consideration" thread. I should have read the fine print more closely, eh?  :P

But the Mayor's New Dress is still up for nominations, so please consider it.  :smiley:

bicilotti

Quote from: Ponch on Sun 20/01/2013 20:47:47
I removed my Bake Sale game from the "For Your Consideration" thread. I should have read the fine print more closely, eh?  :P

But the Mayor's New Dress is still up for nominations, so please consider it.  :smiley:

As I have written, I am willing to make an exception for bake sale (or more in general, bundle games, as at least for the sale's period authors have some obligations we could be unaware of / are not directly responsible on how their game is promoted/published (geez I sound like a fake lawyer) ).
Contact AGA (if he hasn't contacted you already) to sort out the thing, and good luck for the awards.

Ponch

I don't want to be a special case. I already have one game that I'm ready to lose an AGS Award with. My bake sale game will go in the database in March, so I now I can enter that one in next year's awards and lose again. Now the pressure is off and I can relax.  (laugh)

bicilotti

So it's time to nominate:

Thanks to AGA for setting up noms page and forum wide announcement!

Knoodn

Is the nomination time over yet?

The headline on top of the forums says:
QuoteAGS Awards nominations close at 11:59 GMT on 13 Feb 2013.

But the nomination page shows me this:
QuoteNominations are now closed for 2012. Please stand by for the announcement of the nominees, and then get voting!

bicilotti

Quote from: Knoodn on Tue 29/01/2013 21:24:26
Is the nomination time over yet?

The headline on top of the forums says:
QuoteAGS Awards nominations close at 11:59 GMT on 13 Feb 2013.

But the nomination page shows me this:
QuoteNominations are now closed for 2012. Please stand by for the announcement of the nominees, and then get voting!

Thanks, I relayed the message to AGA.

bicilotti

m0ds

I think something isn't quite working Berian? May just be my profile, but quote from the red forum text:

"You are one of the -1 users (100%) who haven't yet nominated"

also

"You haven't yet nominated, so you've got 4 days"

I definitely nominated, about 3 days ago I think!

Also good to know that the entire member base has nominated and I'm the only person who hasn't ;)

CaptainD

I've also nominated but it tells me I haven't?

Stupot

Why not have awards for Best Bakesale Game and Best Summerbatch Game (or just one Best of the Batches award)? That way they are still all eligible for some kind of recognition, even if they are not in the database.

bicilotti

Quote from: m0ds on Fri 08/02/2013 17:57:23
Also good to know that the entire member base has nominated and I'm the only person who hasn't ;)

Ahaha, Mr. AGA had to code the thing from scratch (ah, the transition ASP -> PHP), so there are some easter eggs along the way.
I will poke him appropriately!

AGA

I was trying to put in a little nag about just how few people had nominated, but apparently I broke things a bit.

Is it working again now?

Stupot

Quote from: AGA on Fri 08/02/2013 19:01:41Is it working again now?

Seems fine to me It's not working for me.  Those are not my final nominations, though.  There's a few more games I want to play this weekend.

CaptainD

It's still telling me I haven't nominated... if my nominations definitely didn't take for some reason I'll go through them again.

m0ds

Thanks bici, berian... Still saying I've not nominated too tho!

AGA

It is registering nominations, don't worry about that.

Frodo

Hmm, it's saying I haven't nominated either.  Hope my votes have been counted.   :confused:

bicilotti

Quote from: Frodo on Sat 09/02/2013 05:37:20
Hmm, it's saying I haven't nominated either.  Hope my votes have been counted.   :confused:

Mhh, I nominated and worked for me. Can you resubmit your noms (by re-clicking the button at the bottom of the noms page?).
For me it was that that changed the forum wide adv from 'you still have to nominate' to 'you have got x y z time to choose your noms'. 

AGA

It now gives the same message about the time left to everyone, whether they've nominated or not. The check whether people had nominated clearly wasn't working, so I took it out. Won't have time until tomorrow night to fix it.

Eric

Question: I nominated, then went back to nominate an additional game. Should I have re-entered all of my first nominations, or were they saved when I submitted the first time?

Games I would have voted for, had they been in the database:

Kitten Catastrophy
The Samaritan Paradox (demo)
Skrumring (demo)

Programmers: add these for next year!

NickyNyce

Please forgive me if this is written plain as day in front of my face.

I would like someone to clarify whether someone can enter an older game that was never put up for the awards in the year it was made, into this years awards (I know it's already too late for this year) but for later awards. I would imagine this might cause some controversy. I know all this awards stuff is mostly for fun, so I don't mean to sound like I'm getting technical.

I myself failed to nominate my game for last years awards, but yet, somehow I got a nomination for my game in one of the catagories.

Can anyone explain a bit better how this works?

bicilotti

Quote from: Eric on Sun 10/02/2013 17:41:51
Question: I nominated, then went back to nominate an additional game. Should I have re-entered all of my first nominations, or were they saved when I submitted the first time?

You have got to reenter them all! (I discovered it after a quick test)

Quote from: NickyNyce on Sun 10/02/2013 18:38:27
I would like someone to clarify whether someone can enter an older game that was never put up for the awards in the year it was made, into this years awards.

Yes you can (skipping a year is harsh enough!)

Andail

Quote from: Eric on Sun 10/02/2013 17:41:51

Games I would have voted for, had they been in the database:

Kitten Catastrophy
The Samaritan Paradox (demo)
Skrumring (demo)

Programmers: add these for next year!

Thanks, but I never released my demo in the database, and I don't really think I will :/
You can - hopefully - vote for the full game next year :)

Tabata

I would have voted for Falling Skywards (BakeSale) 
- hope it will be entered in the database this year (for the next years awards) -

Edit:
Best Tutorial or Documentation isn't part of the awards anymore?

bicilotti

Quote from: Tabata on Mon 11/02/2013 13:50:32
Edit:
Best Tutorial or Documentation isn't part of the awards anymore?

Nope! The last year we had it (2009 iirc), we had only 2 nominees and very very few votes.

bicilotti

Lol double post!

It seems that Best Non-Adventure Game created with AGS category is lacking some votes, so play them non adventures and enter your noms!

Radiant

Quote from: bicilotti on Tue 12/02/2013 09:10:33
Lol double post!

It seems that Best Non-Adventure Game created with AGS category is lacking some votes, so play them non adventures and enter your noms!
If many people like Indiana Rodent then we will make a sequel with a level editor!

cat

I voted, I hope my votes were accepted. When I click the nominations link again, the selections are cleared there.
Also, I had problems nominating for best player/nonplayer character. I didn't remember some of the names and I'm not sure even all of them HAD a name. Will the votes there be counted anyway, even if spelled incorrectly?

bicilotti

Quote from: cat on Tue 12/02/2013 20:45:02
I voted, I hope my votes were accepted. When I click the nominations link again, the selections are cleared there.
Also, I had problems nominating for best player/nonplayer character. I didn't remember some of the names and I'm not sure even all of them HAD a name. Will the votes there be counted anyway, even if spelled incorrectly?

Yes your votes were accepted (there should be a "YOU VOTED, GOOD LAD/LASS!" page once submitting noms, right?); I agree that seeing a blank page on return is scaaaaary (but fear not, agsers!).
As a proud misspeller, I will make every vote count (i.e. I will ask AGA for a dump of best NPC noms and apply max_likelihood() on the lot).

That or I'll pull a Benedict XVI on y'all.

Ghost

Quote from: bicilotti on Tue 12/02/2013 21:07:23
That or I'll pull a Benedict XVI on y'all.

You can't, my Italian buddy. Wir waren Papst!  (laugh)

Radiant

It is somewhat disconcerting to see a big red "you haven't nominated yet" banner every time I visit the forums...

bicilotti

Nomination phase is over!

Check out the nominees here!

Goldmund

Wow, not a single nomination. Thanks, guys!

Ponch

Quote from: Goldmund on Wed 13/02/2013 19:04:26
I came here to say the same thing!  :cry: :wink:

Oh, AGS Community! Why do you spurn my love? How many games must I make before you love me as much as I love you?  :=

AGA

You got nominations.  Only the top five nominees got through for each category though.  And as you can see, many people voted exactly the same for every category, as happens every year.

Ponch

Quote from: AGA on Wed 13/02/2013 19:36:22
many people voted exactly the same for every category, as happens every year.
But what my love, AGA? I have so much to give! :P

Tabata

@Goldmund & Ponch
It might not be worth a thing, but just to let you know. There definitely ARE voters for both of you.
I know for sure because I did!   

... and there are also some other games that I am missing  :cry:

an Urpney

Don't be sad, I voted for you (actually, Donna was amongst three games I voted for in almost every category they could possibly fit)!
It was released at the beginning of 2012 - many people could've forgotten : (
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

Datadog

I was also surprised to see "Avenger of Blood" sans nomination. Yours was my personal pick of the year, Goldmund.

Can't complain about some of the other nominations, though. : )

Goldmund

Oh well, maybe in 2023! :-)

Cheers, Tabata, Urpney, Datadog -- and congratulations to the nominees! Good luck.

cat

Wheeeee! Sheep Quest was nominated - thanks for the votes!

It seems that I now have to play many games - of the top nominees I only played one yet! On the other hand I'm happy to see that even some underdogs like '9 months in' or 'RAM ghost' got their votes. Too bad that others didn't make it, like 'The Visitor' for example. Nice to see Unga and Gray nominated. But Gray a short game? Gosh, I must be a really slow player, it took me several hours to complete - congrats on the background nom, well deserved!

Congrats to all nominees - now on to playing games!

Haggis

I voted for Senor Banana but he didn't make it :(

Must have slipped up somewhere *badum tsch*

Nikolas

The music for Resonance was done by me, but in the awards page it reads Vince XII. The bastard stole my place! ;)

LimpingFish

Congratulations to all the nominees!  ;-D

And hooray for Sheep Quest! \o/
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Vince Twelve

I nominated Donna for a couple categories!  Sorry Goldmund.  The mass voting across the board for a few titles is a problem, though this year I'm finding it hard to complain... :P

Thanks for all the noms people!  This is the one that matters to me most!  I'm really psyched for this!

Quote from: Nikolas on Wed 13/02/2013 22:07:26
The music for Resonance was done by me, but in the awards page it reads Vince XII. The bastard stole my place! ;)

Lies!  I wrote all the music and did all the SFX myself!  I also drew all the backgrounds and animated all the characters!  ME!!! 
Spoiler
Yes, those nominations of course belong to Nik (sfx, music), ProgZMax (character art, animation), Nauris Krauze (backgrounds), Janet & I (programming), Dave & all the actors (voice work), and a bunch of people helped me with writing (among them Dierdra Kiai, Dave, & Janet!  Thanks everybody!)
[close]

Ponch

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Thu 14/02/2013 01:14:53
Thanks for all the noms people!  This is the one that matters to me most!  I'm really psyched for this!
Seems to me the proper thing to do is to use all your eFame for a noble purpose. Make the world a better place, Vince! Make an Oceanspirit Dennis game and help bring teh wordz of Dennis to teh worlds!  :=

"From the man who brought you Resonance... Comes the story of a Ninja/Pirate/Viking/Detective like no other... Dennis vs. Dr. Morales... FIGHTS!"

It would be GLORIOUS, Vince. (nod)

Stupot

Well done to the nominees. The good thing about all the same games being nominated in all the categories is that there are fewer games for me to catch up on before the vote :P

MonochromeMolly

I pretty much never post, but I had to post for this. Donna and The Cat Lady were the only AGS games I played in 2012 that I will never forget. I'm glad The Cat Lady made the cut, but I don't know why yours didn't. Your game was amazing.

bicilotti

Quote from: Nikolas on Wed 13/02/2013 22:07:26

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/AGS_Awards_2012 <-- corrected
Remember that it is a wiki, so if you find slips you can even edit yourself!

cat

What actually happened to best music? There are only four titles here and at least I nominated three other games in this category. Or was this a draw between 5th and 6th?

bicilotti

Quote from: cat on Thu 14/02/2013 08:55:27
What actually happened to best music? There are only four titles here and at least I nominated three other games in this category. Or was this a draw between 5th and 6th?

Top 5 games pass in each category (with me breaking ties if the need arises) and a minimum of 5 votes is needed. If you find a category with less than 5 nominees, it means only (5-x) games had at least 5 votes cast on them.

Trivia time: 79 people entered their nominations this year.

CaptainD

Thanks to everyone who voted for Captain Disaster as best demo!  :-D

m0ds

Nice one! A varied list, mixture of fab games! Not even played half of them... but safe to say 2012 was a very good year for AGS projects! Many deserving titles of course not on the list, but there's always the game page comments and rating feature to show developers you care :)

miguel

Congrats to all the noms! Great stuff this year!
Can't believe OSD material was left out though.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Fitz

It's definitely been an exciting year for AGS games. Glad to see some of my favorites among the nominees, sad not to see some of my absolute favorites on the list. PISS, Visitor, Primordia (would've kicked everyone's hiney in the Best Background Art), Nancy (she and her friend would've definitely rocked the PC/NPC category -- since they're not very PC)... Oh well, we'll all lose to Resonance, anyway :P DAMN good year!

Stupot

Quote from: bicilotti on Thu 14/02/2013 09:04:37
Trivia time: 79 people entered their nominations this year.
78.5.  I bullsed up and submitted a half-filled entry form.  Then my laptop died and I couldn't get online to finish before the deadline. :/

Chicky

Happy to see Anna's quest was nominated for VO, congratulations to all, roll on awards!

tzachs

Woohoo!! Thanks to everybody who voted!  ;-D
And congratulations to everybody who made a game this year, be them nominated or not.

bicilotti

Voting is open!
There are threee weeks to cast them votes, so you take your time to try all the games out and ponder a bit on your choices!

pcj

Sweet, voted. :D
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

Crimson Wizard

I am really divided between "Resonance" and "Cat Lady" in some of the nominations. Can't decide. Argh! :(

JSH

Voted now! I was sad that Primordia and Donna: Avenger of Blood didn't make it to the list, should have remembered to nominate them myself :/

an Urpney

I don't think Primordia was on the list... I tried to nominate it but couldn't find it.
Donna - it's a shame... Guess many people forgot about it over the year.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 18/02/2013 13:52:41
I am really divided between "Resonance" and "Cat Lady" in some of the nominations. Can't decide. Argh! :(

Same here...
An Urpney.

AGA

Primordia wasn't in the games page, so doesn't count.  Them's the rules!

Donna did get a fair number of votes, but unfortunately people tend to vote their favourite game for every category, no matter how relevant is really is.

CaptainD

I'm getting the big red "YOU HAVEN'T VOTED YET" sign even though I've done my votes and they seem to have gone through okay... do I need to vote again?

bicilotti

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 18/02/2013 16:13:41
I'm getting the big red "YOU HAVEN'T VOTED YET" sign even though I've done my votes and they seem to have gone through okay... do I need to vote again?

You have indeed voted. I will prod AGA.

AGA

selmiak

still seeing not voted on both the forum and the vote page even though I voted. So I'm not sure if my vote is counted or not...
did I vote for the wrong games maybe?

AGA

You've voted.

The vote page doesn't change if you've already voted though, you can keep resubmitting your votes up until the deadline, overwriting your previous votes each time.

pcj

Did I vote? It says I didn't, even though I did.

AGA

You too.  Should hopefully be fixed now?!?!

pcj

Andail

I'll draw a consolation prize trophy for Donna!

Tramponline

Quote from: AGA on Mon 18/02/2013 21:12:29
You too.  Should hopefully be fixed now?!?!

This issue seems to persist. Voted, but the red text of the banner is still claiming I didn't.
As long as our votes count, I don't mind.

/tramp shakes fist at evil mocking & taunting banner!

bicilotti

Quote from: Tramponline on Tue 19/02/2013 17:49:56
This issue seems to persist. Voted, but the red text of the banner is still claiming I didn't.
As long as our votes count, I don't mind.

I can confirm you have voted (more in general, I can confirm that we are receiving votes; it's just a very nasty bug).

Anian

Quote from: bicilotti on Tue 19/02/2013 20:08:03I can confirm you have voted (more in general, I can confirm that we are receiving votes; it's just a very nasty bug).
Was just about to ask abut that, glad it's okay.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

AGA

Can you guys please try clearing your caches (CTRL+R)?  There is no reason why you should be getting a red message anymore.  I've even tried pretending to be logged in as you both (don't worry, I don't have access to anything secret!), and the red message doesn't show...

CaptainD

Just tried that, still have the message I'm afraid.  Tried logging out and in again, and used Chrome, FireFox and IE... all the same.  :-\

AGA

Okay, so where it says "User ID: x", does that actually reflect people's actual ID?  Visit your profile if you have no idea what that should be.

Tramponline

It says (user ID: ) in my banner - no username (ID).

Quote from: AGA on Tue 19/02/2013 20:29:11
...(don't worry, I don't have access to anything secret!...)

...all those dirty pictures - THEY AREN'T MINE!!! :cool:

AGA

Think that's got it?  Apparently my magic user account is different from you mere humans', which was confusing my testing.

CaptainD

"You've already voted, so you've got 19 days and 2 hours left to wait before voting closes!"

Yup, that seems to have got it.

selmiak

works now :)

time to play the waiting game :P

Mati256

Theres only a day left to vote. When is the party?
My Blog! (En Español)

bicilotti

Probably somewhere around the next weekend. I will soon start a "choose your own ceremony date" poll, as per last year.

cat

Voted! Looking forward to the ceremony. Is it going to be a irc/game ceremony again this year?

Chicky

Voted, will there be punch?

...i'll settle for Ponch.

AGA

Ponch

Quote from: AGA on Sun 10/03/2013 15:53:41
Punch actually came first.
But Ponch outlasted him! Ponch has staying power! Because Ponch is filled with milk!  :cool:

Vince Twelve

I always thought that things filled with milk would have little staying power unless you keep them refrigerated.

CaptainD

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Tue 12/03/2013 13:27:04
I always thought that things filled with milk would have little staying power unless you keep them refrigerated.

Ponch injects himself with 100ml of liquid nitrogen every 2 months, that keeps him cool enough to not go off.  He forgot once and his stomach turned to cheese, and he had to run away from Indiana Rodent.  All of this is perfectly true.

Ponch

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 12/03/2013 13:39:32
All of this is perfectly true.
Every word is true, sadly. Even more sadly, I paid good money to keep word of that shame away from the prying eyes of the press -- to no avail, apparently.  (wrong)

Now when is the award ceremony? I need to get fitted for a tux and shine my hooves.

bicilotti

So, let's choose together the ceremony date, will ya?

ceremony date poll!

(UK time)

Stupot

m0ds

Mati256

What if we set up a TeamSpeak (or something like that) for this year ceremony? At least to hear the Host.
My Blog! (En Español)

Armageddon

I nominate Ben304 and Grundislav as hosts of AGS Awards 2012.

Ponch

Quote from: Armageddon on Tue 19/03/2013 03:07:57
I nominate Ben304 and Grundislav as hosts of AGS Awards 2012.
But then who will provide the live podcast stream of the event?

bicilotti

Ceremony will be held on

Sat 23 March 2013, 08:00 PM UK Time

The show will take place on IRC !

How do I join IRC?

The AGSArchives server is found on irc.agsarchives.com (channels #AGSAwards and #AGS)

You can join:
    - via your web browser (just choose your nick and click 'go').
    - with any client you like, like XChat. To help you setting up your client, I made I made a quick XChat tutorial.

There are two rooms:

• #AGSAwards, where the ceremony will be held
  • #AGS, for general chat

You can choose them via the labels in the upper part of the screen   

Drop in and say hello! See you tomorrow!

Ghost

Quote from: bicilotti on Thu 21/03/2013 11:18:53
Sat 23 March 2013, 08:00 PM UK Time

That's my BIRTHDAY! Aw, you shouldn't have!!!!  :-[ <- teh blushings

bicilotti

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 21/03/2013 14:02:53
That's my BIRTHDAY! Aw, you shouldn't have!!!!  :-[ <- teh blushings

Lots of cake, lots of cats, lots of beer, lots of fun!

Stee

Why on the copycat server?
What's wrong with the normal irc server that everyone already knows / uses?
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Ponch

Quote from: Stee on Thu 21/03/2013 23:59:44
Why on the copycat server?
What's wrong with the normal irc server that everyone already knows / uses?
There's more than one server? What other secrets are you guys keeping from me?

bicilotti

A server is just a server, what makes a ceremony great is the people! So drop in, have fun, everyone's invited!

bicilotti

Less than 24 to the ceremony! Make sure to check the instructions on how to join the party!

Tabata

:shocked: What?

... no stage?

... no dance floor?   (wtf)

... no paaarty?

... but  -  I already dressed up for a paaarty   :cry:

bicilotti

Quote from: Tabata on Fri 22/03/2013 20:48:16
... but  -  I already dressed up for a paaarty   :cry:

Be there Tabby, feel empowered by ASCII emoticons ( ^^d ), and the stage, the glitter, the gold and all that (including sequins and pearls) will be inside our hearts!

LimpingFish

Hurry up, Time! Be 8pm already! I...can't...take...teh WAITING!

Chest pains!

END OF LINE

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ponch

Quote from: bicilotti on Fri 22/03/2013 21:03:57
Be there Tabby, feel empowered by ASCII emoticons ( ^^d ), and the stage, the glitter, the gold and all that (including sequins and pearls) will be inside our hearts!
But I rented a tux and everything!  :P

Icey

Most people are making userpic for the event so I made one to join in on the fun too.

Also is there not gonna be a AGS awards game this year?

Ponch

Looking very sharp in your suit and tie, Icey. :cool:

Icey

bicilotti

Quote from: icey games on Sat 23/03/2013 04:45:49

No, I wasn't able to fix the security issues with the .exe (i.e. a malicious third party able to break the ceremony).
Nice suit!

straydogstrut

Quote from: bicilotti on Sat 23/03/2013 08:29:14
No, I wasn't able to fix the security issues with the .exe (i.e. a malicious third party able to break the ceremony).

That's a shame :(

Just as a suggestion, it would be interesting to have the awards in AGSCraft one time. Though I haven't played it in a long time myself, and I can understand how it would take away from the awards and put people off. IRC is perfectly fine and I will aim to be there.

Note, the reminder at the top of the forums says '20:00 Tomorrow Saturday 23rd March' - I thought it was UK time so this is wrong. Just sayin'  ;)

Adeel

This will be the first award since my joining. Too bad, it'll start at 1 a.m (according to my local time). But, who cares? I shall be awake and would surely attend it.  :)

Tramponline

ARRRHHH! All that peer pressure!
If our shakey cow and even icy go all 'Reservoir Dogs', I suppose I'll have to come up with some fancy pants garment as well.
Darn, I wish I wasn't just a head! :tongue: :cool:

By the way, never used IRC before.

Are there major differences (disadvantages) using the browser instead of an irc client software?

Ghost

I'm gonna sing the waitin' song!

Waiting, waiting waiting,
for the ceremony,
spiting spriting spriting,

Looking forward to seeing y'all!

miguel

I'll be at work tonight but hopefully the hired crew for lights and sound will be Portuguese meaning they'll be late and stuff won't work! That way I can join in around midnight for champagne and recreational drugs!
Maybe I'll even catch Ghost's Singing Number!
To the security guys: Ponch will be packing iron! Look out for a bandana because it's a sign!

Have fun guys!

Stee

Quote from: bicilotti on Sat 23/03/2013 08:29:14
Quote from: icey games on Sat 23/03/2013 04:45:49

Nice suit!

It's hardly a problem if the malicious third party isn't around. Can we rename them the AGSA Awards now since they are on the AGSA Server?
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

cat

Quote from: Tramponline on Sat 23/03/2013 11:08:00
If our shakey cow and even icy go all 'Reservoir Dogs', I suppose I'll have to come up with some fancy pants garment as well.

Yes, you have to!  :-D

Tabata

Quote from: cat on Sat 23/03/2013 11:53:58

Yes, you have to!  :-D

Special family occasions deserve to be celebrated in a special outfit   (nod)
So go ahead and put a bit of effort into it like we did, too   :wink:

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Stee on Sat 23/03/2013 11:21:25
Can we rename them the AGSA Awards now since they are on the AGSA Server?

If you did not know already this very forum and the AGS site is hosted on the AGSA server too ;).
And the old #AGS is not really even "official" in itself. I don't really see why you are trying to make this such a big deal neither :-\.

abstauber

This is today? Count me in! Timezone is GMT I suppose?

Peder 🚀

Stee

Quote from: Peder Johnsen+ on Sat 23/03/2013 14:06:05

If you did not know already this very forum and the AGS site is hosted on the AGSA server too ;).
And the old #AGS is not really even "official" in itself. I don't really see why you are trying to make this such a big deal neither :-\.

Tradition Peder. Also the AGS IRC awards game thingy would work Out of The Box then too. Some changes are a bit silly when they are unnecessary and create extra work

an Urpney

Quote from: Tabata on Sat 23/03/2013 12:04:31
So go ahead and put a bit of effort into it like we did, too   :wink:

Hope Grim won't mind me messing with my Giant Zombie Cat avatar...
An Urpney.

Tabata

abstauber

bicilotti

bicilotti

Are there major differences (disadvantages) using the browser instead of an irc client software?

I feel the average irc client to be more versatile and less of a resource hog in comparison to the browser thing (firefox stole my RAM anyone? :P ); but that's pretty much it, mibbit does its job!

edit: lel double post

Stupot

Woohoo, party time. I've already found my complementary Champagne, cheers. I'm just sniffing it, I promise I won't drink it until 8 o'clock.

Mibbit is fine for me. I haven't used a proper client in years (not that I use IRC much at all).

Chicky

Everyone look so posh! Tell me i'm pretty :=

Tabata

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 23/03/2013 16:55:00
You are looking sooo beautiful!
May I ask for the next dance while we are in 'Saturday Night Fever!?   

bicilotti

Ceremony in two hours! Get ready folks!

Anian

Is there a red carpet and/or afterparty?
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Tramponline

Couldn't wait. I've started the after-party firs and will try to stay relatively sober during the awards ceremony!

Stee

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 23/03/2013 16:55:00

Just like the economy of this country - Needs more work...

Vince Twelve

Crap crap crap. So... I might be a little late.  I'm pushing my wife to move it.  We're an hour away from home and she doesn't understand the dire importance of the occasion!!!  No time to change into a suit!

Datadog

Everybody looks so fancy! Think I'll put a tux on Doomtron for the occasion.

Also, I just woke up, so I may not be as drunk as everybody else.

kaput

Congratulations to all nominees. I wish you all the best of luck tonight. You have all done extremely well no matter the outcome.

*raises a glass*

Cheers.

m0ds

Good luck and have fun!

also:

Play Ace Quest.

Mati256

I'm trying to get in the chat but I'm getting this error: [No more connections allowed from your host via this connect class (local)]
My Blog! (En Español)

Ponch

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Sat 23/03/2013 18:31:36
Crap crap crap. So... I might be a little late.  I'm pushing my wife to move it.  We're an hour away from home and she doesn't understand the dire importance of the occasion!!!  No time to change into a suit!
There's no time, Vince! You've gotta get out of the car and run! Run like it's the end of The Graduate! (Or Wayne's World 2, of if you prefer).  :=

an Urpney

Quote from: Mati256 on Sat 23/03/2013 19:08:29
I'm trying to get in the chat but I'm getting this error: [No more connections allowed from your host via this connect class (local)]

I get the same error - any tips?
An Urpney.

cat

If anyone has problems connecting via mibbit: Try to use a local client instead. You might already have one installed without knowing (Pidgin for example supports irc)

tzachs

Damn it! They closed the front doors!
Ok, I'll try to sneak in from the back...

Radiant

"Closing link: (unknown@1.2.3.4) [No more connections allowed from your host via this connect class (local)]" - me too :(

Tabata

They changed some settings - it should be possible to join now  (nod)

C U there

Radiant

Doesn't seem so. My auxilary client keeps crashing on me, and the webclient Mibbit now gives me variably an empty chatroom and a "terminated" message.

Vince Twelve

Terminated... :(

It's exceeded the number of users allowed.  Why aren't we Google Hangout-ing?

an Urpney

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Sat 23/03/2013 20:09:36
Terminated... :(

You just scored two awards ; ) Congratulations!
EDIT. Third one just came...
An Urpney.

Mati256

My Blog! (En Español)

Vince Twelve

I thought the server had exceeded the maximum number of users and that a different client wouldn't make a difference...

I'll switch into windows and give XChat a try.

abstauber

Ghost

Can't join at all! Will give the portable a try, thanks abstauber!

Peder 🚀

Our high-end technicians are looking to solve these connection issues ASAP. Sorry to anyone unable to connect! Keep trying though!

abstauber

Ghost

Can't connect and have trouble getting a stable connection. For years. I'll call it a day and read the script later.

Eric

Congratulations on the win, Ghost. Sad you couldn't make a speech. I think you should make one here for posterity.   

Ghost

Aw man, guys! You're awesome! Thanks... thanks a lot for nominating RAM Ghost, and making it win. I can't tell you how proud I am. And I am glad this little oddball of a game won over some people. I'll put out word on the GhostNets. Tonight EVERY spook goes on my tab, you hear me?
Man, I can't believe it.
Thanks, guys. And thanks to all my testers and furniture donators.

Ponch

Congrats, Ghost! Sorry you couldn't be there live.

Tabata

Yeeeha Ghost - you won with a ghost!

Well deserved! So sad that you can't join the party - but you got a very nice birthday present for sure! (nod)

Stupot

Yeah, Congrats Ghosty.  Happy Birthday mate :)

Ghost

I am as happy as a Ghost can be- that really made my day!

Ponch

I don't know about you guys, but I plan to wear this tuxedo for several days. Until I get my money's worth out of it or until it becomes very stinky.  :=

Thanks to all the AGSers who put the ceremony together. I hope we get the theater back next year though.

tzachs

Happy birthay Ghost and congragulations! I actually wanted Hubris to take it, I'm a little addicted to it now...

Also, congratulations to all winners and of course to Vince 12 getting 12 awards on 2012 (or so I've heard)!!

And I think I'll keep the tux for next year's awards, why waste it?

CaptainD

Ponch - Tuxedos and Cow Pats are a very toxic combination, escape while you still can!!

Ponch

Quote from: CaptainD on Sat 23/03/2013 22:16:58
Ponch - Tuxedos and Cow Pats are a very toxic combination, escape while you still can!!
NEV4R! Have you seen how sexy I look in this thing? (Hint: Very sexy!)  :=

qptain Nemo

Here's a log of the awards ceremony for anyone who missed it and wishes to read it
the log of the AGS Awards Ceremony 2012

The Awards are over, but #ags on irc.agsarchives.com will be open every day, so everybody who enjoyed the nice company don't hesitate to drop by sometime. :)

Armageddon

Darn it, missed it again. Congrats to all the winnders.

Ponch

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Sat 23/03/2013 22:18:21
Here's a log of the awards ceremony for anyone who missed it and wishes to read it
the log of the AGS Awards Ceremony 2012
After a close examination of the transcript, I'd like to take this moment to announce that I'm renaming my long running game series from "Barn Runner" to "Barn Resonance" and it's hero from "Prick Peckard" to "Manhood Morales." Hopefully this gambit will pay big dividends come next year's AGS Awards.  8-)

m0ds

Well done team Resonance! And those few others in-between :) Stiff competition, fo sure! Couldn't make it myself, sorry... did the connections thing work out?

selmiak

damned I missed the resonance awards 2012 ;)
Congrats to the winner(s?)!

Icey

A night of Pax, fancy suites, birthdays and victories. This is a night to remember for all of us indeed;)

also happy bday ghost.

Nikolas

well... good morning lads! While I voted to have the ceremony at the time it was held, I was unable to join in. Some of you know that my wife is working abroad for several months now and she's visiting us, so her word is my command.

Now, for something more important: I WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnn! WOOT!

This is actually the first time that I've won an AGS award, after so many games in AGS, freeware and commercial!

The one thing that I would like to say is that Vince is a friend of mine now, I wish that we will eventually meet in person, but even more that as an employer he was awesome: Very rarely he did have something to comment on the music, which always made sense. He accepted every idea I had (which involved him writing more and more code specifically for the music in the game), and he got everything I told him. (BTW, the maze tune ultimately has a 4th layer, but is not layered with the other three... it's played when Anna wakes up and has to escape... ;))

I really hope that he'll do another game and that he'll want me on board... :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

ThreeOhFour

Thanks to whoever voted for ^_^ and the secret committee who decide the other awards. Very humbling.

Congratulations to all the other nominees and winners, especially the XII team for their slew of awards. 2012 was a great year for AGS games.

JJS

Just realized that I won an award! Thank you very much!

I could not be at the ceremony in the beginning and later had connection troubles unfortunately, maybe next year I will make it.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Radiant

Congratulations to everybody that made it into the chatroom!

:P Er, I mean, congrats to everybody who won! And now I must definitely make some time to play Resonance to the end.

cat

Congratulations to all who won an award!

Also, tabloid press has been there too, here is a shot from yesterday's red carpet:

[imgzoom]http://cat.agser.me/pics/diverse/RedCarpet.png[/imgzoom]

kconan

Congrats to the winners!  Definitely a great, profilic year for AGS games.

miguel

Andail

Congratulations! And well done, everyone, 2012 was a great year for AGS :)

Dave Gilbert

Hey cool! I am swamped at PAX so I wasn't able to take part, but congrats to Vince, nik, Shane, and Janet!

Chicky

It was a great night, well done to all who contributed this year :)

This time around Bici let me present an award, next year i aim to win one!

Nice collection of the avatars there Cat :)

an Urpney

Quote from: cat on Sun 24/03/2013 10:23:16
Congratulations to all who won an award!

Also, tabloid press has been there too, here is a shot from yesterday's red carpet:

Niiice : ) But now Giant Zombie Cat cries, because he didn't win anything ; )
An Urpney.

Fitz

Congratulations to all the winners! Rejoice while you can - for victory will be mine... next year... (laugh)

Meanwhile -- gloria victis! ;)

Ilyich

Congratulations to all the winners (to everyone on the Resonance team, basically :P)! And thanks to the organizers, it was fun! :)
Hope the next year brings even more amazing AGS games, cheers! :)

Vince Twelve

Again, thanks to the organizers! And thanks to the voters!  Super excited that XII games won XII awards in MMXII!

I thanked my team plenty of times last night, because Resonance was a team effort all the way.  Especially Shane and Nik who were there from the start pushing me along and giving great feedback and suggestions.  Huge thanks to Dave and Janet for taking the project on and getting it to the finish line. Could not have finished without them.

And special thanks to Kinoko and Josh Roberts (Chapter 11 Studios), whose Cirque de Zale and Adventure Architect articles (respectively) led to me finding Adventure Game Studio.  And thanks to the Big Blue Cup Community!  It's still the only online community that I've ever really felt a part of.  When I was living in Japan in 2004-2008, I spent so much time in these forums and it felt like my home away from home away from home.  I think I've been to three or four of these award ceremonies since then, and I've always hoped to some day win that top prize.  Mission accomplished!

I'm working on writing a Resonance sequel. I can't say for certain when or even if it will ever get done, but I look forward to sharing it with you when that day comes!

an Urpney

An Urpney.

Nikolas

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Sun 24/03/2013 16:36:37And special thanks to Kinoko and Josh Roberts (Chapter 11 Studios), whose Cirque de Zale and Adventure Architect articles (respectively) led to me finding Adventure Game Studio.  ...
You know this is the case for me as well!

I found out about cirque de Zale, then came to meet Rebecca (Kinoko), and got a new thread advertising my services, only to be greeted with great feelings by Don the Barbarian... So I stuck here and to this day this is my homepage to every Internet connected computer...

bicilotti

bicilotti

Stats Time!

• The first table shows the number of nominations cast for each category (keep in mind that one person could choose multiple games in each category)
  • The second one shows how many votes were cast for each category (this time 1 vote = 1 person)
  • On top of that, there are numbers for total voters and total nominators
Last year we had 89 voters, this year 112.

Stats were made available by Commodore AGA, whom we thank.

Frodo

Congrats to all the winners.   :grin:

CaptainD

Interesting stats.  Thanks bicilotti and AGA!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 27/03/2013 11:00:37Last year we had 89 voters, this year 112.
Only 112 voters?  8-0
And I was wondering what impact my vote will have on overall results. It appears to have had about 1% weight, which is pretty fair.

Airborne

Congrat to all winners!

I'm glad to be one of those 112 voters!

bicilotti

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk