Corner's Shiny (2013 edition) - A platformer

Started by Akatosh, Fri 11/01/2013 13:31:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Akatosh

Hi! Remember this game? Well, you probably don't, and neither did I, but I found a mostly-finished version of this going through an old backup of mine, and figured I might as well fix it up real quick and put it online. I mean, I'm never going to be able to go back to this anyway, and this way, it can at least serve as a cautionary tale. Without further ado, here is

Corner's Shiny (2013 edition)

* Overthrow capitalism by gathering mail and running through surreal urban environments really quickly!
* Climb ladders, jump gaps and... generally jump a lot!
* Experience an all-new, thrilling storyline with an unexpected twist!

Corner's Shiny is a 2008/2009-era 2D platformer that was originally created as a "bootleg demake" of the then-upcoming MIRROR'S EDGE. It was an entry for the TIGSource Bootleg Demakes Competition, created by BaronCid and Akatosh (i. e. myself).

It's a fairly straightforward game: Using a wide array of moves, including running, sliding, (wall-)jumping, climbing and more, you have to travel through the levels as fast as possible in your quest to aid the People's Revolution! and, much more important, to gather a high score. The game's unique feature (... which kinda got chopped off in the screenshot ...) is the "momentum gauge" at the top of the screen. While you're running, it starts to fill up. The further it gets to the right end, the more moves you'll be able to execute - for example, you can't slide while in the blue region of the gauge.

A little more backstory: Originally conceived as a "glitch platformer" of a sort, the idea was that you'd have to use your wits as much as your reflexes to get through the game - it would be intentionally, horribly buggy and allow for lots and lots of dirty tricks and shortcuts. Unfortunately, this didn't really work out. (Or rather, falling through the floor turned out to be slightly funny the first time, and not funny at all the subsequent 48 times.) The original version was pulled for that reason, and I put the game back in the shop, so to speak; just about everything was overhauled, including the graphics. (Thanks again for the sprites, Ben.) However, as that was right around the time I started university, I never did get around to fixing the game. Still, you might be able to glean some of the basic idea from the game, and it's finally in a playable state now. Anyway, enjoy! (Hopefully.)

Download link: Corner's Shiny, as close to complete as it's ever going to get

(And no, the walljumps still don't work properly. := But they no longer require frame-perfect timing, so that ought to be okay, right?)

ThreeOhFour

Jesus christ I had forgotten that I had done sprites for this. I hadn't even played the actual Mirror's Edge at the time (I've since played through it).

Time to try it out :D

Akatosh

Yeah, I'm not letting you forget about this old shame. (Seriously though, I don't know if I ever thanked you properly, so... thanks. If anything, my art skills have gotten worse in the intervening years.)

DoorKnobHandle

Oh I remember playing this back in the day haha, so cool of you to re-release it now! Downloading now!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk