Blackwell Epiphany

Started by Dave Gilbert, Wed 20/02/2013 16:44:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 10/07/2013 20:25:44
Ghosts make about as much sense as they always have.

;) Looking good. Looking real good.

Armageddon

Hey you uhhh, have conflicting pixel resolutions with the text there you know. ???

Ryan Timothy B

And a ghost chick that talks about sexual positions and locations!
Spoiler
[close]

This is now becoming the most exciting Blackwell yet!

Myinah

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sat 13/07/2013 06:30:03
And a ghost chick that talks about sexual positions and locations!
Spoiler
[close]

This is now becoming the most exciting Blackwell yet!

That is exactly where my mind went when I saw that screen shot. I'm glad I'm not alone in assuming she was just kind of a kinky ghost.

But for reals I am so excited about this game regardless of sexy ghost sex!

cianty

Wow. This is really looking beautiful. Can't wait for this new episode.
ca. 70% completed

Vince Twelve

Damn, Ian and Ben's stuff work perfectly together. Gorgeous screens.

Surdy

Well... gorgeous screens.

Ephiphany looks darker than the other ones.

After that, I hope Ben could work on his new game.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: cianty on Sun 14/07/2013 19:55:14
Wow. This is really looking beautiful. Can't wait for this new episode.

Neither can I, believe me! :)

shadowface

The screenshots are grate although  I think Rosa"s character portret is a bit more creepy.

Armageddon

Quote from: shadowface on Wed 24/07/2013 17:20:30

The screenshots are grate although  I think Rosa"s character portret is a bit more creepy.
Now that you mention it, it is pretty creepy looking. And the weird cut out rip effects around the portraits.

Crimson Wizard

I suddenly realized these new portraits remind me of Gabriel Knight (first).

Dave Gilbert

Some some more portraits in. Here's Joey and Rosa wearing her coat. We've also low-rezzed the fonts due to overwhelming request!

Joey is not very hospitable to the outer burroughs.

Rosa leaves no snowman unturned.

Joey remains perplexed by modern technology.

jwalt

Wonderful stuff, Mr. Gilbert! Can't wait. On the downside, I'm afraid, the Gary Cooper'esque Joey is the Joey I see in my mind's eye. I think he could take the Joey is these shots.   ;-)

Armageddon

I'm curious, did you import everything at 2x before to get the clear high-res font? Because Joey is floating between pixels in the third shot.

Dave Gilbert

Rosa's horribly awkward grin is often the best thing about making a Blackwell game.

Dave Gilbert

Since the beans was spilled in a recent interview (and on this forum!) I figured it would be a good time to announce on this thread that Blackwell Epiphany is going to be the final Blackwell game. My reasons are many, but they all boil down to "It is just time." Suffice to say, we are putting all our effort into making this installment the best installment yet and giving it the sendoff it deserves.

More info soon!

-Dave

JoshuaSmyth

Those backgrounds and portraits look gorgeous.

Can't wait to play the finale.

Igor Hardy

I hoped for least one more episode about Lauren. :) But good to see the conclusion is being prepared and due to appear for certain. Always hate when a series stops or is canceled before it reaches a proper climax.

blueskirt

I've got a quick question, why did you decide to make that episode the last one? I recall in the early days of the series you said you'd never stop making Blackwell titles if you could help it, but in a recent interview, I think you once expressed regrets for not having given enough thought about where you wanted the series to go early on, or for not having a grand plan for the series before you wrote Blackwell Legacy. Is it because you feel the series reached its natural conclusion that you are closing the series? Or is it because this lack of planning early on was nagging you and you've got in your sleeve something better, more planned, more laid out and more fun to write once Epiphany will be out?

I ask because, well, you could have wrote that grand finale and not made Blackwell games for a very long time, until you suddenly got a urge to tell another tale, prequel, sequel or interquel, starring Rosa or Lauren... and all would have been fine. That announcement that it's going to be the last one makes it sounds like you don't wanna revisit that world once Epiphany will be out.

Dave Gilbert

In the early days I optimistically thought I could make a new game every 4 months or so. :) That proved not to be the case. I did have a story arc in mind, and I could theoretically stretch it out as long as I wanted to ( a "spook of the week" serial, as it were), but I could see the series getting old and tired before too much long longer. Plus with the long (long!) waits between installments, I can imagine the fans' patience wearing out long before the series does.

As I said, it's just time. Rather than stretch it out and dilute it over several installments, I'm going all in - putting everything into one big game and going out with a bang. Or at least, I hope so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk