Playstation 4, now with share button!

Started by Chicky, Thu 21/02/2013 09:18:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

So, who watched the Sony conference yesterday?

They have revealed the PS4, with featured such as live streaming of your play session to remote devices, high end graphic capabilities, the ability to play games whilst they download and a system with a one touch boot that continues your previous session state (much like the DS).

Media Molecule (the minds behind little big planet) have created a game based on sculpting assets with the move controller and using these to create a game, they had an amazing demo of their team using the move controllers to animate 3D puppets.

There is a very nice looking title called Deep Down with a superb set sequence featuring a dragon and lots of pretty particle effects.

There's a lot more, links are up on most gaming sites. Go check out the next generation of gaming, looks like Sony may be back on top!

Eager to hear people's opinions here, I'm a sucker for Playstation, would like to hear some opinions from those less easily impressed :)

Stupot

I haven't owned a console since Gamecube, but I will be looking to buy a PS4 if I can afford it. I was really impressed with the show.  The Watch Dogs presentation blew me away.  I haven't felt such a real need to play a game since I first read about Driver all those years ago

selmiak

I read they support connection to PSP vita and mobile phones on android and iOS. Why not for the DSi and DS3D or however the newest DS is called? Is it because it is from nintendo and nintendo is a competitor? Well, what is apple then with all these games in the appstore... This is actually stupid, as DS owners are more games than cellphone users that casually play games on the cellphone, and getting these handheldowner in to buy a ps4 would have been a smart move from sony... but then ~900$ is quite a lot of cash!
but the stats read tasty :)

anyone got a video of the whole presentation?

DoorKnobHandle

I watched it live and I honestly couldn't care less about the sharing/live-streaming/mobile-connection or even the kinect gimmicks. I want a powerful gaming console for the core gamers. As far as the presentations went, Watch Dogs did indeed look really awesome, can't wait for that, the rest I didn't like that much.

ThreeOhFour

The examples looked cool, I want one. I hope games still come on disks, my internet sucks. I have all 3 playstation consoles and play them all reasonably regularly.

Also, their launch titles look better than the poor old WiiU. As do the specs. Share button will be cool if it means I can actually take screenshots of PS games, but I don't really want to send videos of myself playing games to anybody, I don't think.

DoorKnobHandle

This says it all:

[embed=560,315]http://youtu.be/0rJDn0jRnUQ[/embed]

Anian

While it's cool that consoles let you play online, the whole integration with everything else is silly and basically makes consoles unusable without online access, which kind of defeats the purpose (to me at least) and simplicty of playing anything you want at any point without interruptions from updates, facebook, OS, viruses etc.

And the shit about denying backward compatibility just kind of indicates how much they care about customer loyalty. Instead of letting people play games they love (and which Sony already knows they love because they bought them), they push forward new games. Which is just silly because then instead of hundreds of games you can play, long time customers are once again reduced to no games. And to add insult to injury, they only stream stuff, so you don't get to own anything.
And in the background there's that sound of the next console coming which will again burn all the bridges behind it.

@dkh: that was brilliant, I started cracking up at "you can make anything, says the guy who only makes car racing games"
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Chicky

This was the main thing that got me, it's obviously heavily scripted but is running on the PS4 hardware. It looks close to photoreal, a massive step up from anything i've seen on the PC.

[embed=560,315]http://youtu.be/EeC3GO6UY4Q[/embed]

Game starts at 4:20  :=

EchosofNezhyt

90% of pc games are console ports though.

Crysis 3 has pretty good graphics.  If you look at the nvidia tech demos and stuff them look really good.

Hair had physics in real time which I thought was pretty awesome.

Honestly I blame consoles and the fact a good gaming pc costs a decent amount.

Armageddon

As a long time avid Sony fan, I am disguised with the controller and social crap they have put in.

miguel

There's nothing wrong with Sony's presentation in my opinion. What could we expect? Sony avoiding "social" features? Sony avoiding downloadable games?
Should Sony avoid "casual" gamers with fast loading browser games?
Why would they deny that there's millions of gamers willing to load up a casual game in a minute with as less buttons to press as they have to?
This will not "kill" the fantastic machine the PS4 will be. The released info on hardware allow the PS4 to deliver gamers top games with fantastic graphics.
The PC is a must in my life and it always have been. I use it for AGS and retro-gaming mostly. My PS3 allows me to play all the mainstream cool games in the comfort of my sofa. And I can even challenge friends for a PES match! How bad can this be?

Working on a RON game!!!!!

RickJ

I will never buy a Sony anything ,,, rootkits, customer lawsuits (George Hotz), DRM'd VCR with unusable TV tuner, etc, etc.   

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: RickJ on Fri 22/02/2013 12:29:26
I will never buy a Sony anything ,,, rootkits, customer lawsuits (George Hotz), DRM'd VCR with unusable TV tuner, etc, etc.

To be fair george hotz deserved it :P

Honestly I could careless about the features of the consoles, games are all that matters. Theres a few cool looking ones so far.

Armageddon

Quote from: Frito Master on Fri 22/02/2013 23:16:27
Quote from: RickJ on Fri 22/02/2013 12:29:26

To be fair george hotz deserved it :P

Honestly I could careless about the features of the consoles, games are all that matters. Theres a few cool looking ones so far.

LimpingFish

Did they actually say that the games shown were on actual Playstation 4 hardware? The terms "prototype" and "comparable" seemed to be used a lot in relation to the more eye-popping games. Prototype or comparable hardware usually means a PC with specs close to what they have planned for the retail machine.

I also seem to remember one of the speakers saying that the graphics on display were of the kind of quality he was aiming to have in the finished product. I can't be sure, though, as I had the video playing while I was working on something else.

Anyway, I've slowly lost my desire to play on consoles with each successive generation.

Playstation: A lot.
Playstation 2: Quite a lot.
Playstation 3: Not that much, actually.

I could say similar about the N64/Gamecube/Wii.

Maybe it's an age thing. Thirty years of gaming kinda dulls the excitement. :-\
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Vince Twelve

Skip five years of gaming while being busy and then come back to it.  You will want ALL THE GAMES.  (Plus catching up on 5-year-old games is so much cheaper than playing them when they come out!  I haven't paid more than $15 for a game in a long time!) 

Since I don't own a PS3, I'm very interested in this OnLive-like streaming of PSX, PS2, and PS3 games.  If they can pull that off and the title selection doesn't suck, I'll definitely be buying a PS4 for that feature alone.

Stupot

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 23/02/2013 01:10:28
Did they actually say that the games shown were on actual Playstation 4 hardware?
No, iirc, they actually did confess during the Knack demo that it was running on a PC.

Chicky

"I'd like to show you something that represents a new IP running on the Playstation 4 using the Panta Ray engine"

So, it is running on the hardware, or is it a video representing a game running on the PS4 hardware? I'm a bit confused by this, the finished product will surely have to meet that level if the video is intended to represent what it will look like when it's running on PS4. All this legal mumbo jumbo, at least with the GIP forum you know what you're getting!

Anian

So far the only gameplay I saw was the new Killzone they played in real time on Jimmy Fallon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjMgc8OILHc
This actually looks awesome (graphic wise, gameplay is meh). They didn't say if it was on the actual hardware or the pc though. And also Fallon and friend suck at playing.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

LimpingFish

Quote from: Chicky on Sat 23/02/2013 13:16:38
I'm a bit confused by this, the finished product will surely have to meet that level if the video is intended to represent what it will look like when it's running on PS4.

Believe nothing!1!

A bitter man could claim the whole industry is built on lies. Unrealistic game promises are well established, but I think unrealistic console promises started in or around the PS2 launch. For the PS4, I doubt that anything shown wasn't running on a PC. Of course, you would think it would be a PC built close to the specifications of what they're planning for the PS4, but who can say? The Square Enix demo certainly wasn't running on anything other than a PC, since they had already shown that very demo at last years E3. Same with Watch Dogs.

Personally, until I see someone actually playing a physical PS4, I will believe nothing!1!

But I'm just a bitter man.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk