Smokeless cigarettes - good or bad?

Started by Blaze, Sat 16/03/2013 17:05:24

Previous topic - Next topic

waheela

I don't think nicotine by itself is any worse for you than alcohol or caffeine.

Anian

Quote from: waheela on Sat 30/03/2013 22:30:33
Even if that was true. Nicotine is far more addictive, especially more than caffeine (I'm not saying the end result of addiction is any better in alcohol than in cigarettes lung cancer and liver failure ar both end of the line).
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Khris

Afaik, overcoming a nicotine addiction in a purely physical sense takes like five days or so.
Getting rid of the habit is what's hard.
Meaning, smokers aren't addicted to nicotine, they're addicted to smoking.

waheela

Quote from: Anian on Sun 31/03/2013 02:18:16
Quote from: waheela on Sat 30/03/2013 22:30:33
Even if that was true. Nicotine is far more addictive, especially more than caffeine (I'm not saying the end result of addiction is any better in alcohol than in cigarettes lung cancer and liver failure ar both end of the line).

You may be right Anian. I've heard the same thing. However, I can only speak for myself when I say this: I've been vaping nicotine juice for the past three or four months and have no problem putting it down for two or three weeks at a time. My boyfriend on the other hand, has a harder time doing that. He used to smoke cigarettes, I never have. Could simply be due to having different bodies with different make-ups, or it could be habit-related like Khris suggested. I'm not sure. All I can say is that I haven't noticed any negative issues with nicotine myself.

Darth Mandarb

Nicotine is, by itself, relatively harmless (as I understand it).  It's just "habit" forming and it's what big tobacco intentionally adds to their cigarettes to keep people buying them.  It's sickening that they get away with it but they have paid off enough politicians I guess.

SinSin

I have an E cig from a company called TotalEWicked. They are good if you like gimmick and such they helped me quit for a month or two. However my other half smokes roll ups and its just too easy to say yes.. WEAK!!!

I wish I was a bit more like Darth to be honest if I could do that My life would be £15 a week cheaper and as I'm getting married this year it would help massively, Plus I might live longer too. 
Currently working on a project!

Chicky

well, i quit smoking at work ,o,

This involved replacing roll ups with mini cheddars.

Scavenger

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Sun 31/03/2013 20:23:27
Nicotine is, by itself, relatively harmless (as I understand it).  It's just "habit" forming and it's what big tobacco intentionally adds to their cigarettes to keep people buying them.  It's sickening that they get away with it but they have paid off enough politicians I guess.

Don't be silly, Mandarb, Nicotine is a poison generated by the tobacco plant in order to stop animals from eating it. In fact, Nicotine is named FOR the tobacco plant.

If tobacco companies didn't add their source of Nicotine to their cigarettes... you wouldn't have a product. I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying that if they didn't add tobacco to their cigarettes, you would have a pretty shitty cigarette.

(though it would be pretty funny to see them try to sell Nicotine-free cigarettes. All the tar! None of the high!)

waheela

Quote from: Scavenger on Thu 04/04/2013 18:17:12

Don't be silly, Mandarb, Nicotine is a poison generated by the tobacco plant in order to stop animals from eating it. In fact, Nicotine is named FOR the tobacco plant.

Wait a second though, there are plenty of "poisonous" things that other animals can't eat, but people can. For example, chocolate is poisonous to cats, and grapes are poisonous to dogs, but fine for us. There are also plenty of things besides nicotine that will kill us in high doses, but not in small amounts. Nutmeg and many other cooking spices, for example.

Nicotine may be part of the Nightshade family, but hey, so are tomatoes and potatoes.

Scavenger

Quote from: waheela on Thu 04/04/2013 19:01:08

Wait a second though, there are plenty of "poisonous" things that other animals can't eat, but people can. For example, chocolate is poisonous to cats, and grapes are poisonous to dogs, but fine for us. There are also plenty of things besides nicotine that will kill us in high doses, but not in small amounts. Nutmeg and many other cooking spices, for example.

Nicotine may be part of the Nightshade family, but hey, so are tomatoes and potatoes.

Oh, I know it's mostly harmless to us, physically, I was addressing "Deliberately putting nicotine into cigarettes. Grr, big tobacco". When without nicotine, there wouldn't be a product to sell. Noone wants to smoke a burning plant that does nothing. x3

Though, looking more closely, the nicotine content of cigarettes has increased recently. Ooh, so that's what he meant. I've learnt something today!

waheela

Quote from: Scavenger on Thu 04/04/2013 19:49:41
Quote from: waheela on Thu 04/04/2013 19:01:08

Oh, I know it's mostly harmless to us, physically, I was addressing "Deliberately putting nicotine into cigarettes. Grr, big tobacco". When without nicotine, there wouldn't be a product to sell. Noone wants to smoke a burning plant that does nothing. x3

Though, looking more closely, the nicotine content of cigarettes has increased recently. Ooh, so that's what he meant. I've learnt something today!

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah, I totally agree with that.

miguel

Snarky, sorry to bump this thread up again,
but I just want to share my experience with e-cigarettes.

I've been using it for nearly a month now and I've come to the conclusion that it does work for me.
I smoke much less than I used to with normal cigarettes, better even - I smoke anywhere and any time I want. There's no filthy smoke or smell on my clothes! I can say I'm going to water the horse on my job and have a quick puff!

What I find funny is that because I'm not getting the same "pleasure" I had, I just go for the nicotine fix and that's it. Even if my brand comes with tobacco flavour and reproduces the inhaling feeling of smoking it's clearly not the same. It's not as "good". So, I end up doing short puffs once in a while just to level the addiction. Some days, when I'm calm and relaxed I nearly don't smoke at all.

The other thing is the cough, I don't have it any more. I've been a smoker for a long time but also like to workout so coughing was a permanent side of my personality. Not tuberculoses cough but that annoying thing smokers do with their throat. Well, not anymore!

If you're tired of the burning tar on your lungs, tired of feeling tired, really - give it a try.
Well, if you can, just quit smoking, period. But if you find it difficult give e-cigs a chance.

If in the following months scientists find that e-cigs are stupidly bad for your health please don't blame me!

Working on a RON game!!!!!

Grim

I switched to vaporizers just before Christmas and haven't had any cigarettes since. I'm really, really happy about that:)

Unlike you Miguel, I actually like "vaping", it's not just the nicotine hit. I'm on the low nicotine level liquids now and I can vape anywhere guilt-free. Like you, I pop out to the loo at work every now and then to take a puff or two;) Or during my lunch break I go out and sit in the garden, read a book and vape.

Sure, might not be exactly "healthy", but no one will argue that it's not a LOT better than smoking. It is. I don't stink, I don't poison my kid (and I don't have to tell him to go away because "dad is smoking", God, I hated myself for that), and I don't cough or feel headache-y after having too many sometimes. Now I can enjoy my coffee and vape in the comfort of my home, instead of standing in the wind and rain outside in the garden.

It bothers me a bit that there is still that stigma attached to it- people don't tolerate very well the sight of a cloud of vapor coming out of somebody's mouth... But maybe one day that will change, when everyone realizes there is no such thing as secondary smoke with e-cigs and vaporizers?

miguel

It's not that I don't like "vaping", it's just different. I used to smoke Candlelight Yellow package (vanilla) and they were pretty good.
When you say low nicotine levels, how much are you taking? I'm on 1.8mg, medium level, I think.

But yeah, there's still some people annoyed with us vaping away in public places but I really like to show them the nice blue light while smiling.
Monetary speaking I'm spending 6 euros a month!!! That's how much a 10ml container costs here and it's only half way empty.
The perfect solution is to really stop smoking but right now I'm really happy with my e-cig!

Grim

I don't really know how many mgs... The bottle says "low" haha It could be rat poison for all I know (though surely that would make me feel quite bad very quickly).

And yes, it's a massive money saver. I'm spending £5 a bottle, and like you said, it does last about a month. I mix menthol with Golden Virginia (since I used to smoke roll-ups with menthol filters). Every now and then you have to buy a new tank (or is it atomizer?), and they're about £3-5 for a cheap one. A nice quality tank I'm using now cost me £10 and it is supposed to last 3 months or so.

Chicky

The refillable E-Cigs are great until one spews liquid nicotine into your mouth, eugh, how it burns! I did get a fairly cheap one (£25)

miguel

Never happened to me, so far. I make sure to keep the e-cig with the mouth-piece pointing up and I was told that you shouldn't fill the container completely.
Anyway, my kit cost me 45euros so maybe it's of a better quality, don't know.

miguel

2 Months, the liquid container is empty...today! Meaning that a container lasts me nearly 2 months!
I'm gonna buy me some Marlborough Lights flavour today!
Keep on vaping dudes!

frenzykitty

I've been using one for a year now. Nevel looked back. Easily one of the better decisions I've made in my life. (nod)

Amiga1

Its SO important to get a good e-cig and not a cheap nasty one. Also you need to know exactly what sort of experience you want to have while smoking.
I can run and exercise whilst quitting real smoking so its got to be a good thing.
I use the £15 Vapouriz Gemini ( its a small black cigerette size device with a USB charger it costs £2 to buy a new cart each cart is about 40 cigs.

one good thing is you can pop open the empty cartridge and pour more nicotie liquid in and reuse them.

they always try to upsell me at shop  with the newer or bigger versions ranging from £20 to £120 in cost but the thing is with all the fancy ones with all these pipe contraptions and tanks and so on...you don,t get a good throat hit..i like my little e-cig because i get that hit in the throat like a real cig.

I think most i have tried make all these big plumes of (smoke) but you don,t feel like you have smoked (very unsatisfiying)

lastly the flavour of the liquid is vital...for example tescos 10 motives  cartridges look and taste of cig dog ends. But vapouriz seem to have a nice flavour.
Im sure there are lots to try but in my case it was cheap = best.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk