Possible to zoom in and out of the game map? (via the mousewheel)

Started by Vault15, Wed 03/04/2013 23:54:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Vault15

Right now I'm working with a very large map (6265x3720, utilizing the scrolling module).

My question is if it's even possible to zoom-in/out without disrupting gameplay. I only want the ability to zoom out slightly, so that the player can view more of the landscape/town/etc.

Will this be of any help for my situation?
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=23664

Note: I realize that I could just make the map a lower resolution, thus "zooming out" permanently, but it would not be as HD as zooming out from an ultra-high resolution (preferably with the mouse-wheel if possible).

Thanks for your continued help! It means a lot.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/y6OMMJW.jpg[/imgzoom]

Snarky

AGS doesn't have a built-in capability to zoom, but it does have a way to scale sprites. So if you draw all the graphics onto a sprite and scale it down, you can get the effect you look for. It's probably not very efficient, though, so the effect might not be very smooth. And rendering everything to a sprite means you lose a lot of the built-in AGS functionality (walkbehinds, for instance).

Vault15

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 04/04/2013 00:36:39
AGS doesn't have a built-in capability to zoom, but it does have a way to scale sprites. So if you draw all the graphics onto a sprite and scale it down, you can get the effect you look for. It's probably not very efficient, though, so the effect might not be very smooth. And rendering everything to a sprite means you lose a lot of the built-in AGS functionality (walkbehinds, for instance).

I figured as much, but thank you. I suppose it's not quite the right engine for that, heh :). I'll just rescale the map to be smaller, (zoomed out background) as well as my characters then. Not a biggie.

selmiak

Vault15

Very true. I will likely do this actually :). The previous idea of making a massive sprite background is an amusing concept, but (as mentioned) I would lose too much functionality.

Thanks so much everyone. If you think of any other options, feel free to let me know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk