AGS 3.3.0 Release Candidate

Started by Crimson Wizard, Thu 04/04/2013 19:16:28

Previous topic - Next topic

JJS

You are running the game by just typing "acwin" instead of "acwin.exe", right? This is a way in which I can reproduce the GetShortPathNameW message.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Joseph DiPerla

Yep, you are right JJS. I didn't really think it would make a difference, atleast not from the command line, to include the .exe into the command. But, yep, that did it. Thanks.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Crimson Wizard

Well, that GetShortPath issue should be fixed of course.

DoorKnobHandle

Oh I haven't posted here yet! You guys rock! I'm not going to lie, I was starting to doubt any productive group-effort would come from the AGS code release - but never count out the AGS devs! This is really awesome and promising!

Dhelayan

It's great that work on AGS continues, and i have a few ideas on how to improve the editor.
Currently i use AGS Draconian r7 (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44502.0)for making my games. I mostly use it because it has a dark color scheme for the script editor. Makes it easier on the eyes when editing lots of code.

Another reason is, some commands have been extended in Draconian it seems..In there, i can just use "eDirectionDown" if i want to have characters face a direction. The new AGS 3.3.0 gives me just an error when i try to use it, and the manual also doesnt mention it..

If the functionality extensions of Draconian and 3.3.0 could be merged, that would be my dream build of AGS XD

Snarky

I don't know how Draconian does it, but you can easily script a FaceDirection extender function:

Code: AGS

//new module header
enum FacingDirection
{
  eDirectionLeft, 
  eDirectionRight, 
  eDirectionUp, 
  eDirectionDown
};

import void FaceDirection(this Character*, FacingDirection dir);

// new module script
void FaceDirection(this Character*, FacingDirection dir)
{
  if(dir == eDirectionLeft) this.FaceLocation(this.x-1, this.y, eNoBlock);
  else if(dir == eDirectionRight) this.FaceLocation(this.x+1, this.y, eNoBlock);
  else if(dir == eDirectionUp) this.FaceLocation(this.x, this.y-1, eNoBlock);
  else if(dir == eDirectionDown) this.FaceLocation(this.x, this.y+1, eNoBlock);
}

Crimson Wizard

Well, it was planned long ago to copy some of the Draconian features, but postponed until some more urgent things are done. I am sure we will do this eventually.
Regarding the theme - I like dark one more too, but I believe there should be a theme selection rather than hard-coded one. Hopefully this will be resolved somehow.

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 09/04/2013 23:15:27
I don't know how Draconian does it, but you can easily script a FaceDirection extender function:
This is not exactly what Draconian edition does. It has extended Character.ChangeRoom function which makes character face direction after being transported to other room. This still may be done by scripting, but there's no way to do this well enough, because one would have to split this action in two parts (before room change and after room change).

LimpingFish

Downloading...now!

Well done to all involved. ;-D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

dbuske

Tried it and found it wouldn't even start up.
Windows Vista
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

AGA

Quote from: dbuske on Wed 10/04/2013 17:05:21
Windows Vista

Runs fine on Windows 8 Pro x64, in comparison.  My (admittedly very simple) game also compiled and runs fine.

The installer will only allow me to install to Program Files though.  Didn't see anyone else mention this.

AGA

Oh, and I notice the editor is still connecting to the Internet.  Is it still reporting to clientstats.php, or is this just a version checking thing at this point?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: dbuske on Wed 10/04/2013 17:05:21
Windows Vista
Hi dbuske.
Can you please give more information?
First of all, was it the installer that did not work, or the editor?
Second, were there any error messages, or you were starting the executable and nothing happened?

BTW, have anyone else tried it on previous Win version, like Vista and XP?

UPD: Ok, I tried it on my old laptop with Vista Home Premium SP1, no problems found.
I will need some details on what goes on in your case.

Quote from: AGA on Wed 10/04/2013 17:32:59
The installer will only allow me to install to Program Files though.
Hmm, I'll check this out, might be wrong option in the installer script.
UPD: I was able to install to "C:\Games\Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0\" and "D:\try\Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0" on Win 7. Might that be an issue specific to Win 8? How does it not allowing you to install - does not it accept other path on related setup page, or it shows any errors when file copying starts?

Regarding client stats and version checking - this is something beyond my knowledge at this moment. But I think it won't be a problem to figure out. Question is, should it behave like that now or not?

AGA

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 10/04/2013 20:49:11
Quote from: AGA on Wed 10/04/2013 17:32:59
The installer will only allow me to install to Program Files though.
Hmm, I'll check this out, might be wrong option in the installer script.
UPD: I was able to install to "C:\Games\Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0\" and "D:\try\Adventure Game Studio 3.3.0" on Win 7. Might that be an issue specific to Win 8? How does it not allowing you to install - does not it accept other path on related setup page, or it shows any errors when file copying starts?

Um, ignore this.  I was being really dumb and trying to set the Start Menu entry title to E:\Adventure Game Studio\.  PEBKAC!

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 10/04/2013 20:49:11
Regarding client stats and version checking - this is something beyond my knowledge at this moment. But I think it won't be a problem to figure out. Question is, should it behave like that now or not?

This doesn't seem to have been stored in the database for a while now.  I guess it depends whether you lot want to collect usage data about the new version, really.  I'm happy to support that if you want it, but I don't have any need for it personally.  It's very straightforward, the PHP script just gets POSTED a few variables with the relevant data and it's stuck into the database.

cat

Just downloaded the new version and tried a few things. Here is a short list of stuff I noticed:

*) "Start new game" wizard->Create in folder section: Please add a button to browse and select a folder (like the browse button in Preferences->New game directory)
*) I love docking the panels <3
*) Hooray for resizable search result windows
*) Not sure why, but "Quit" of 9-verb template reads "QuitätÖ" for me
*) Preferences->Sprite editor: The label text overlaps the first radio button
*) Make sure to update the helpfile before the release, now there is still version 3.2.1
*) Help->Visit the AGS forums: Wrong link
*) Help->Check for updates does not work

Edit: I know I'm repeating myself, but I still don't have the rights to view items in the project tracker...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Fri 12/04/2013 17:21:35
*) "Start new game" wizard->Create in folder section: Please add a button to browse and select a folder (like the browse button in Preferences->New game directory)
Hah, something I wanted to have too for a very long time. :)

*) Not sure why, but "Quit" of 9-verb template reads "QuitätÖ" for me
Ah, right, I noticed that too, since 3.2.1. We need to ask Abstauber about updating template.

*) Help->Visit the AGS forums: Wrong link
Whoops. Missing last 's'.

Edit: I know I'm repeating myself, but I still don't have the rights to view items in the project tracker...
Ahh :( this is something above my head.
There's a permissions setup in the tracker, it lists "AGSer", "AGS Baker" and "Mittens Vassal" (the member groups you belong to) in the "Regular Members" permission group. That group has all common rights.
Did you try to log-off and re-login, for instance? Clean cookies maybe?

AGA

As I said, there's no obvious (or non obvious!) reason why cat might not have access.  All AGS users (AGSer user group) should have basic access!

cat

I deleted the adventuregamestudio cookies and logged on again (with an error message after log on, but after refresh I could access the forum) but no luck with the tracker :(

AGA

Exactly what happens when you go to http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=projects?  A screenshot might help.

I tried giving my test forums account exactly the same permissions as you, and it can see the tracker!

cat

With the link you gave me here I just see the forums. When I click the "Projects" link on top, I see the various categories (looks the same in IE, where I'm not logged in).
When I click on Editor for example, in IE it works, but in Firefox, where I'm logged in, I see this (hide tags to preserve layout):
Spoiler

[close]

When I click on any of the links to an issue, I get this error message:

An Error Has Occurred!
You are not allowed to view issues of this project.

AGA

I even made you a special cat membergroup all of your own.  Did that change anything?

It's quite likely of course that more users than just you are being affected by this.  It's just that you actually want to visit the tracker, while not everyone does.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk