Name the Game

Started by frenzykitty, Wed 17/04/2013 17:17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashPL

Amayirot Akago

Looks wild. I'd say Witchaven but the resolution's too high for that.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

CrashPL

Quote from: Amayirot Akago on Sun 26/11/2017 08:52:29
Looks wild. I'd say Witchaven but the resolution's too high for that.

Not Witchaven, but yeah, it does involve fantasy setting, DOOM-like environment and first person perspective. :)

CrashPL

Alright, here's a small hint that should make things a bit more clear - the game was released 21 years ago, but it refuses to die, and is still floating around.

Click'd

Ultima Online? Wait, that was isometric, I think.  :confused:

Mandle

Danvzare

Umm... it kind of looks like how I'd imagine Elder Scrolls Online to look if it was made back when Daggerfall was the newest Elder Scrolls game. ???

CrashPL

Three times "no", although ClickClickClick and Danvzare are getting close. :)

A final hint - yes, it's an MMORPG (or MMO graphical MUD, as it was known back then), which predates Ultima Online by roughly one year. It's often reffered as one of the first comercially successful graphical MMORPG, and praised even today for its brutal rules, unforgiving difficulty and one of the best PvP combat systems in MMO games.
After the original devs bought back the rights to the game, the title became open source, and even to this day several passionate people run private servers, and pump new content and patches every now and then. Talk about dedication!
(if you played, or even heard about this one, the name should be pretty obvious at this point :))

CyberUncleCat

This Menu. Meridian 59?

CrashPL

Yup, it's good ol' Meridian 59. :)

Mandle

Quote from: CrashPL on Tue 28/11/2017 07:12:34
praised even today for its brutal rules, unforgiving difficulty and one of the best PvP combat systems in MMO games.

I'm sold! A huge problem for online multiplayer RPG games is that players cannot accept perma-death as an option for their beloved characters. So they just get a kind of time-out.

WTF???

If perma-death is never an option then how are legends built within the game world? How can a player feel proud of their progress when it's just really grinding with the occasional setback?! How does any player's actions make a difference?!

I'm all for the die-and-then-start-from-scratch approach to online RPGs and good on the diehard fans for keeping such a game going!!!

CrashPL

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 28/11/2017 12:20:02
I'm all for the die-and-then-start-from-scratch approach to online RPGs and good on the diehard fans for keeping such a game going!!!

While there's no perma-death in M59, death comes with a huge cost - you lose several % of randomly chosen skills, you go down by one level and all of your belongings (items, equipment, money etc.) are dropped in the place you died (and, unless you know a certain spell, by the time you get there they'll be long gone - but since whatever killed you is most likely still there, going back with almost no HP and vigor isn't the best idea either). Basically you can lose several hours/days of progress and your entire inventory if you're not careful.
And since player killing is available almost anywhere, you really need to be on your toes while training outside, otherwise a PKer will put an axe in your head, or burn/zap with a spell. Oldschool brutal fun in all its glory!

Anyway, your turn CyberUncleCat. :)

CrashPL

//whoops, double posted. Ignore that one, sorry!

CyberUncleCat

Shouldnt be too difficult.

Gilbert

Danvzare

Metal Gear Solid?

Kumpel

Tomb Raider 1 or 2?

milkanannan

Something Star Wars?

CaptainD

I dunno... something's reminding me of one of the Secret Files games for some reason... :confused::confused:

Danvzare

Soldier of Fortune?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk