My First Attempt

Started by Adeel, Wed 01/05/2013 10:21:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Adeel

Hello Everyone. How are you all? When I thought that I have learned enough scripting to get myself started. I moved to more difficult task: "Drawing". I had never been a good artist and it is even more difficult for me to draw pixel art on pc.
    I thought it would be best to start from (320x200) so that when I became good enough I would then move onto bigger resolutions.
    Well, I tried my best and spent one and a half hour on my first character sprite. I have made front and side views. I have also added some shading (but I am not sure it is good). I have also made talking animation for front and side views.
    Please criticize it and suggest me some improvements. I am using Aseprite for drawing sprites. I apologize in advance, if my you couldn't understand my words since I am not a native English Speaker.

Front ViewSide ViewFront TalkingSide Talking

P.S: I liked the way, characters used to nod while talking in Yahtzee's Trilby Series. I tried my best to make them nod but I couldn't succeed. Can you guide me?

bicilotti

On a tiny screen lappy, so no headnod paintover today (maybe tomorrow?).
I like the fact that they are simple and functional!

Anian

From technical side - put views enxt to each other when you're drawing them for the first time, otherwise you'll end up with stuff like limbs being different lengths (like the arms on your character), shading is random and not really noticeable.
From design side - character looks a bit bland (lack of details), but that's not that bad (better to keep things simple when you're starting out), you could work on maybe giving him a more interesting silhouette, especially from the side the character looks rather flat.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Adeel

Quote from: bicilotti on Wed 01/05/2013 11:28:06
On a tiny screen lappy, so no headnod paintover today (maybe tomorrow?).
I like the fact that they are simple and functional!
Thank you sir, I'll be waiting. :)
Quote from: Anian on Wed 01/05/2013 11:38:32
From technical side - put views enxt to each other when you're drawing them for the first time, otherwise you'll end up with stuff like limbs being different lengths (like the arms on your character), shading is random and not really noticeable.
From design side - character looks a bit bland (lack of details), but that's not that bad (better to keep things simple when you're starting out), you could work on maybe giving him a more interesting silhouette, especially from the side the character looks rather flat.
After reading your comment, I think you are ABSOLUTELY right. I overlooked the fact that Arms in front view are thin while that in side are sort of....muscular. I am just starting out so would you do me a favor to give a sample as to what he should look like?

Anian

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 01/05/2013 11:49:11I overlooked the fact that Arms in front view are thin while that in side are sort of....muscular. I am just starting out so would you do me a favor to give a sample as to what he should look like?
Actually I mentioned their length.

Here's your original and some suggestions and cleaned up the image a bit. There were some random colors in it and the height of neck and arms was different, now they're the same. Moved the leg up a bit and make it seem a less unnatural standing position. Reworked the look of the neck. It is basically your sprite and style, just tried to make it less "stiff" and more interesting.
(I also put some shading in, but this is a small sprite, so you might not need to put in any shading):

Zoomable image:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/LCBlvHB.png[/imgzoom]
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Adeel

Quote from: Anian on Wed 01/05/2013 14:25:39
Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Wed 01/05/2013 11:49:11I overlooked the fact that Arms in front view are thin while that in side are sort of....muscular. I am just starting out so would you do me a favor to give a sample as to what he should look like?
Actually I mentioned their length.

Here's your original and some suggestions and cleaned up the image a bit. There were some random colors in it and the height of neck and arms was different, now they're the same. Moved the leg up a bit and make it seem a less unnatural standing position. Reworked the look of the neck. It is basically your sprite and style, just tried to make it less "stiff" and more interesting.
(I also put some shading in, but this is a small sprite, so you might not need to put in any shading):

Zoomable image:
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/LCBlvHB.png[/imgzoom]

Thanks for taking the time to edit this. You have added shadows in a very nice way. He looks much more human now.
    I'll try to improve my character based on the references, you and Fitz have given me whenever I find time. I'll soon upload the back view + walking animation. I have learned lot today about pixel art.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk