Facial Expressions

Started by Matti, Mon 06/05/2013 09:57:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti

For the first time I tried to draw different facial expressions. I mainly changed the eyebrowes and the mouth and it turned out better than I expected, but I'm sure it can be improved. I'm not too happy with the one on the left and the one on the right. Any suggestions, hints or paintovers are welcome.

From happy to angry/serious:

cat

On first sight, I didn't notice any difference in the faces. Only because you mentioned it and after taking a closer look I noticed the different eyebrows.
Eyebrows alone don't make a facial expression. Tom Bancroft mentions in one of his books, that the eyebrows should be like the top edge of an imaginary super hero mask around the eyes. They only follow the expressions of eyes, nose and cheek.

Monsieur OUXX

There is not much difference between number 2 and number 3, but it depends if you want to be subtle or obvious.

Also number one could look more "happy": you could make the eyes "smile" much more:

Matti

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was going to add two more 'extreme' expressions on the left and the right - delighted and screaming. With a variety of six expressions the ones in the middle need to be rather subtle.

I'll try to post the delighted face soon.

Ilyich

Generally I'm all for subtlety, and I like these - they're charming and not at all over the top, but they don't read too well at a glance, which is problematic, seeing how that's what facial expressions are for. Right now I'd say these range from amused to mock-serious (but actually slightly amused). Apart from making these differ a bit more, I would suggest adding some expressions outside the happy-angry scale - surprised, confused, sad, embarrassed etc.

Here's some creepy, but useful charts from Scott McClouds "Understanding Comics" :)
Spoiler

Gradation of single emotion:

Mixing two basic emotions:

[close]

Matti

Thanks for the charts, Ilyich, I'll take a look at them. Also, you're right, I should include some other emotions too.

Quote from: Ilyich on Mon 06/05/2013 10:55:15
Right now I'd say these range from amused to mock-serious (but actually slightly amused).

Yeah, that was exactly my concern. It doesn't look genuinely serious.

Armageddon

cat

This is awesome, Armageddon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk