Adventure Island - new point-and-click game launched

Started by elentgirl, Sat 25/05/2013 17:11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

VERSION 2.1 of my adventure game, Adventure Island, is now available.  I have added a new map feature which allows players to move around the island more quickly once they have explored it.  This version also fixes a couple of minor bugs that were reported to me.  I have added Version 2.1 to the AGS games page.

In 2008 I posted my first adventure game: Once Upon A Time.  It was generally well received but also attracted a good deal of criticism.  Your feedback has helped me improve my art, and I hope you will find my new game much better.  Once Upon A Time was largely linear in its play, whereas Adventure Island is much freer and can for the most part be played in any order you wish.  In my first game your character could get killed in a multitude of nasty ways - in my new game this can't happen (except in one short 'retro' section).  I have more than doubled the number of puzzles and made them as varied as possible.  I have also included a selection of different characters to interact with.

As you can see, Adventure Island was a far more ambitious project â€" perhaps a little too ambitious.  I set myself a deadline of three years to complete it, but it has taken me five!  I badly underestimated the amount of time required for all the animations needed.  I have been supported throughout by friends and relatives, who have also provided the voices for the different characters in the game.

I hope you will give my new game a try, and I hope that you enjoy playing it as much as I have enjoyed making it.  It is my affectionate tribute to a genre of game I love, and to a handful of games in particular.

GAME PATCHES
I have created a patch to update version 1.1 of my game to 1.2.  This fixes the sliding panel bug and one or two other minor faults.  If you want to update your copy of the game, you can find the patch here:  https://www.box.com/shared/static/6aheucydx2ivesqbt0j3.exe

I have created a second patch for my game to fix a few irritating bugs, especially in the Montezuma's Mountain section.  I designed it to update version 1.2 to version 1.3, but I tried it on the earlier version (v1.1) and it seemed to update that just as well.  And the updated version will still load games saved with the older versions.  The latest patch is available at: https://www.box.com/s/cboyb2vwum9wnq8sm24x

I have uploaded version 1.5 of my game.  This corrects a bug in the Buccaneer's Creek section which in some circumstances can prevent players completing the game.  I have also created a patch to upgrade version 1.4 to version 1.5.  If you are playing v1.4 and have not yet played the Buccaneer's Creek section, I recommend that you use this patch.  It can be downloaded from: https://www.box.com/s/j096fb33cuvxd6f86h2i
This patch may work on earlier versions of the game but you may not then be able to load and run previously saved games.

I have also made a patch to upgrade version 2 to version 2.1 if anyone wishes to do so.  I cannot guarantee that games saved in version 2 will load successfully in version 2.1.  The patch can be downloaded from: https://app.box.com/s/slsj6dp3m8cpo6m6ht41

Sslaxx

Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Frodo

DBoyWheeler

When I saw the title, I was thinking of the old NES game "Hudson's Adventure Island".  Still, it does look kinda fun here.

elentgirl

There are a few more screenshots on the website I've set up for the game, as well as a link for downloading the game.
www.adisland.webs.com

monkey424

Looks very cool.

But you've obviously stolen ideas from one of my games:

Mind you, I stole from Return to Zork, but that's besides the point. Stealing is wrong!

Anyway, the game looks very cool. Downloading now and adding to the increasingly unsustainable list of 'games yet to play'.

LimpingFish

Quote from: monkey424 on Sun 26/05/2013 00:34:21

Mind you, I stole from Return to Zork, but that's besides the point. Stealing is wrong!

Can't. Tell. If. Serious. :-\
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

kaput

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 26/05/2013 03:18:21

Can't. Tell. If. Serious. :-\

I know, right?!

On topic - The game looks interesting so, I'll endeavour to download it and let you know what I think  :smiley:

elentgirl

I'm sorry you think I've stolen your ideas - I assure you I haven't.  Anyone who played my previous game, Once Upon A Time (2008) will recognise the spider web as a reference to that game (I can spoof my own games as well as others).  I can see the similarity to yours, though I must say I have seen similar themes in any number of commercial games as well.  I think this is just a case of great minds thinking alike!

You will certainly see many allusions to other games in Adventure Island, as it is a deliberate homage to the whole adventure game genre.  Please, if you can find the time, play my game and let me know what you think of it then.  I appreciate all feedback, good or bad.

kaput

Hi elentgirl,

I've downloaded your game (although the download count is still at zero - looks like the download counter has been turned off or is buggy, anyhoo...) and it's pretty cool so far. I like how it starts with the letter you receive and the voice over, it's a nice touch. You've created a nice atmosphere with sfx and some really nice writing in there, too.

My main criticism so far would be that the hotspots for leaving areas are a bit smallish. I also think I encountered a bug where I couldn't change the cursor from the inventory item I was holding. Still early doors, though - will let you know.

Tinytim

I'm doing the
Spoiler
sliding puzzle
[close]
and one of the pieces has slid off the board to the left?
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

elentgirl

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Sun 26/05/2013 11:20:47
I also think I encountered a bug where I couldn't change the cursor from the inventory item I was holding.
When you are holding an item, the cursor changes from the standard cursor to a small version of the item you are holding, except when over an active hotspot.  If you put the item you are holding back in the inventory the cursor should change back to the standard cursor.  If this doesn't happen, perhaps you can let me have more details of when and where in the game it occurred so that I can investigate.

Quote from: Tinytim on Sun 26/05/2013 16:56:58
I'm doing the
Spoiler
sliding puzzle
[close]
and one of the pieces has slid off the board to the left?
Can you give me more details of exactly how it happened.  This is one part of the game that I have tested extensively and have had no problems with.  I am unable to replicate your experience and need more details to be able to tackle this.

I'm sorry if these apparent glitches have spoiled you enjoyment of my game.  I have tested it as thoroughly as I was able, but please let me know details of anything you find that is not working properly.

monkey424

Dear elentgirl et al..

I was only joking of course. It was purely coincidental that Adventure Island includes spiders and ornamental skulls. But all the best games do! Return to Zork had a giant spider for example, just like the one in my game. And I believe Monkey Island had a few skulls in it.

My post was actually a subtle cross-promotion for my game. But now I feel guilty so I'll bump your game to the top of my list and play immediately.

Quotesliding puzzle

Amazing! I also created a slider puzzle and used to have the exact same problem with sliders moving off where they shouldn't! I tested the shit out of it and finally got it working correctly. Although that doesn't help you, hopefully you'll find it comforting that we all experience problems with slider puzzles from time to time.

Tinytim

It in no way spoiled the game for me, it's great, I just thought I should mention it. I'll try to replicate it and get back.

EDIT: Solved, no more probs.
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

elentgirl

BUG ALERT!

A bug has been found in the slider puzzle in the Black Dog Manor section of my game.  Only the tiles surrounding the blank space are supposed to be active, but in some circumstances tiles on the other edge of the puzzle become active, and if clicked upon, move off the puzzle.  I am working on a patch to prevent this, but in the meantime, if these rogue active hotspots are ignored the puzzle performs as it should.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this, and thank Tinytim for alerting me to this problem.

LimpingFish

Quote from: monkey424 on Mon 27/05/2013 10:43:09
My post was actually a subtle cross-promotion for my game. But now I feel guilty so I'll bump your game to the top of my list and play immediately.

A little too subtle, it would seem.

Anyway, no harm no foul.

My first impressions of this game are fairly positive. I like the sound design, and the fact that the player character moves quite quickly. I not the biggest fan of photo-manipulated backgrounds, but that's just personal preference rather than a critique. The GUI/interface seems clean and functional, which is always a plus in my book.

Overall, I'm happy to keep playing. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Tinytim

I found another little analogy which I actually found quite amusing.( For all I know it may even be a part of the game?) When I came out of the manor, if I tried to leave the scene from the top of the steps, Annie walked to the edge of the screen, turned back and proceeded to walk up and down the steps. As I said I thought it quite amusing (laugh)

elentgirl

GAME UPDATE!

I have created a patch to update version 1.1 of my game to 1.2.  This fixes the sliding panel bug and one or two other minor faults.  If you want to update your copy of the game, you can find the patch here:  https://www.box.com/shared/static/6aheucydx2ivesqbt0j3.exe

Cogliostro

Elent Girl,

The game is pretty cool, original in its own right, yet has continuous references to every classic.  After sinking half an hour into the game I realized how big this game was going to be and decided I needed to stop and record my thoughts/comments as I made them.

The opening letter / background was great and let's be honest, Allan Quatermain doesn't get enough respect nowadays.  One thing struck me odd, it doesn't seem sane that a rescue operation would be carried out by *ONE* person.  It would have made more sense to me - and kept to the game design - if she was supposed to be part of the original team, but delayed, and thus arrives after everyone else has disappeared.  She still gets an email / radio message giving the same information before she parachutes in.  Yeah, the game is loaded with humor, but with a little tweaking it could have been internally consistent.  Internal consistency isn't exactly a hallmark accomplishment of humor/homage games, but it's something to consider.

Annie's face, is just odd.  All I can think is that she's having some severe allergic reaction, there's just so much red around her nose.

Tent laptop: These comments should have started before the expedition, honestly, it takes a minute of walking across the island to see signs of human habitation.  Reactions should have run gamut from hoax to must-be-aliens.

Scope of the game blows me away.  The size of the island is astounding and I just discovered the "mini-games" inside the amusement park?!  No wonder this took you five years of development.  Actually, how the hell did you do all of this in only five years?!

BUGS:
Spoiler

1) Changed into pirate outfit, went back into one of the other rooms in the tower - or at least I tried, and the mouse disappeared.
2) Inside Montezuma's Revenge: In the mines:  Grab the pickaxe, go down the ladder, go back up - and you cannot put the axe down
3) Inside Montezuma's Revenge: At Lemmings: hold the beam of wood and click on the stairs, and you get to the next room without stopping the lemmings.
[close]

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk