Adventure Island - new point-and-click game launched

Started by elentgirl, Sat 25/05/2013 17:11:46

Previous topic - Next topic

elentgirl

VERSION 2.1 of my adventure game, Adventure Island, is now available.  I have added a new map feature which allows players to move around the island more quickly once they have explored it.  This version also fixes a couple of minor bugs that were reported to me.  I have added Version 2.1 to the AGS games page.

In 2008 I posted my first adventure game: Once Upon A Time.  It was generally well received but also attracted a good deal of criticism.  Your feedback has helped me improve my art, and I hope you will find my new game much better.  Once Upon A Time was largely linear in its play, whereas Adventure Island is much freer and can for the most part be played in any order you wish.  In my first game your character could get killed in a multitude of nasty ways - in my new game this can't happen (except in one short 'retro' section).  I have more than doubled the number of puzzles and made them as varied as possible.  I have also included a selection of different characters to interact with.

As you can see, Adventure Island was a far more ambitious project â€" perhaps a little too ambitious.  I set myself a deadline of three years to complete it, but it has taken me five!  I badly underestimated the amount of time required for all the animations needed.  I have been supported throughout by friends and relatives, who have also provided the voices for the different characters in the game.

I hope you will give my new game a try, and I hope that you enjoy playing it as much as I have enjoyed making it.  It is my affectionate tribute to a genre of game I love, and to a handful of games in particular.

GAME PATCHES
I have created a patch to update version 1.1 of my game to 1.2.  This fixes the sliding panel bug and one or two other minor faults.  If you want to update your copy of the game, you can find the patch here:  https://www.box.com/shared/static/6aheucydx2ivesqbt0j3.exe

I have created a second patch for my game to fix a few irritating bugs, especially in the Montezuma's Mountain section.  I designed it to update version 1.2 to version 1.3, but I tried it on the earlier version (v1.1) and it seemed to update that just as well.  And the updated version will still load games saved with the older versions.  The latest patch is available at: https://www.box.com/s/cboyb2vwum9wnq8sm24x

I have uploaded version 1.5 of my game.  This corrects a bug in the Buccaneer's Creek section which in some circumstances can prevent players completing the game.  I have also created a patch to upgrade version 1.4 to version 1.5.  If you are playing v1.4 and have not yet played the Buccaneer's Creek section, I recommend that you use this patch.  It can be downloaded from: https://www.box.com/s/j096fb33cuvxd6f86h2i
This patch may work on earlier versions of the game but you may not then be able to load and run previously saved games.

I have also made a patch to upgrade version 2 to version 2.1 if anyone wishes to do so.  I cannot guarantee that games saved in version 2 will load successfully in version 2.1.  The patch can be downloaded from: https://app.box.com/s/slsj6dp3m8cpo6m6ht41

Sslaxx

Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Frodo

DBoyWheeler

When I saw the title, I was thinking of the old NES game "Hudson's Adventure Island".  Still, it does look kinda fun here.

elentgirl

There are a few more screenshots on the website I've set up for the game, as well as a link for downloading the game.
www.adisland.webs.com

monkey424

Looks very cool.

But you've obviously stolen ideas from one of my games:

Mind you, I stole from Return to Zork, but that's besides the point. Stealing is wrong!

Anyway, the game looks very cool. Downloading now and adding to the increasingly unsustainable list of 'games yet to play'.

LimpingFish

Quote from: monkey424 on Sun 26/05/2013 00:34:21

Mind you, I stole from Return to Zork, but that's besides the point. Stealing is wrong!

Can't. Tell. If. Serious. :-\
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

kaput

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 26/05/2013 03:18:21

Can't. Tell. If. Serious. :-\

I know, right?!

On topic - The game looks interesting so, I'll endeavour to download it and let you know what I think  :smiley:

elentgirl

I'm sorry you think I've stolen your ideas - I assure you I haven't.  Anyone who played my previous game, Once Upon A Time (2008) will recognise the spider web as a reference to that game (I can spoof my own games as well as others).  I can see the similarity to yours, though I must say I have seen similar themes in any number of commercial games as well.  I think this is just a case of great minds thinking alike!

You will certainly see many allusions to other games in Adventure Island, as it is a deliberate homage to the whole adventure game genre.  Please, if you can find the time, play my game and let me know what you think of it then.  I appreciate all feedback, good or bad.

kaput

Hi elentgirl,

I've downloaded your game (although the download count is still at zero - looks like the download counter has been turned off or is buggy, anyhoo...) and it's pretty cool so far. I like how it starts with the letter you receive and the voice over, it's a nice touch. You've created a nice atmosphere with sfx and some really nice writing in there, too.

My main criticism so far would be that the hotspots for leaving areas are a bit smallish. I also think I encountered a bug where I couldn't change the cursor from the inventory item I was holding. Still early doors, though - will let you know.

Tinytim

I'm doing the
Spoiler
sliding puzzle
[close]
and one of the pieces has slid off the board to the left?
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

elentgirl

Quote from: Sunny Penguin on Sun 26/05/2013 11:20:47
I also think I encountered a bug where I couldn't change the cursor from the inventory item I was holding.
When you are holding an item, the cursor changes from the standard cursor to a small version of the item you are holding, except when over an active hotspot.  If you put the item you are holding back in the inventory the cursor should change back to the standard cursor.  If this doesn't happen, perhaps you can let me have more details of when and where in the game it occurred so that I can investigate.

Quote from: Tinytim on Sun 26/05/2013 16:56:58
I'm doing the
Spoiler
sliding puzzle
[close]
and one of the pieces has slid off the board to the left?
Can you give me more details of exactly how it happened.  This is one part of the game that I have tested extensively and have had no problems with.  I am unable to replicate your experience and need more details to be able to tackle this.

I'm sorry if these apparent glitches have spoiled you enjoyment of my game.  I have tested it as thoroughly as I was able, but please let me know details of anything you find that is not working properly.

monkey424

Dear elentgirl et al..

I was only joking of course. It was purely coincidental that Adventure Island includes spiders and ornamental skulls. But all the best games do! Return to Zork had a giant spider for example, just like the one in my game. And I believe Monkey Island had a few skulls in it.

My post was actually a subtle cross-promotion for my game. But now I feel guilty so I'll bump your game to the top of my list and play immediately.

Quotesliding puzzle

Amazing! I also created a slider puzzle and used to have the exact same problem with sliders moving off where they shouldn't! I tested the shit out of it and finally got it working correctly. Although that doesn't help you, hopefully you'll find it comforting that we all experience problems with slider puzzles from time to time.

Tinytim

It in no way spoiled the game for me, it's great, I just thought I should mention it. I'll try to replicate it and get back.

EDIT: Solved, no more probs.
If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

elentgirl

BUG ALERT!

A bug has been found in the slider puzzle in the Black Dog Manor section of my game.  Only the tiles surrounding the blank space are supposed to be active, but in some circumstances tiles on the other edge of the puzzle become active, and if clicked upon, move off the puzzle.  I am working on a patch to prevent this, but in the meantime, if these rogue active hotspots are ignored the puzzle performs as it should.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this, and thank Tinytim for alerting me to this problem.

LimpingFish

Quote from: monkey424 on Mon 27/05/2013 10:43:09
My post was actually a subtle cross-promotion for my game. But now I feel guilty so I'll bump your game to the top of my list and play immediately.

A little too subtle, it would seem.

Anyway, no harm no foul.

My first impressions of this game are fairly positive. I like the sound design, and the fact that the player character moves quite quickly. I not the biggest fan of photo-manipulated backgrounds, but that's just personal preference rather than a critique. The GUI/interface seems clean and functional, which is always a plus in my book.

Overall, I'm happy to keep playing. :)

Tinytim

I found another little analogy which I actually found quite amusing.( For all I know it may even be a part of the game?) When I came out of the manor, if I tried to leave the scene from the top of the steps, Annie walked to the edge of the screen, turned back and proceeded to walk up and down the steps. As I said I thought it quite amusing (laugh)

elentgirl

GAME UPDATE!

I have created a patch to update version 1.1 of my game to 1.2.  This fixes the sliding panel bug and one or two other minor faults.  If you want to update your copy of the game, you can find the patch here:  https://www.box.com/shared/static/6aheucydx2ivesqbt0j3.exe

Cogliostro

Elent Girl,

The game is pretty cool, original in its own right, yet has continuous references to every classic.  After sinking half an hour into the game I realized how big this game was going to be and decided I needed to stop and record my thoughts/comments as I made them.

The opening letter / background was great and let's be honest, Allan Quatermain doesn't get enough respect nowadays.  One thing struck me odd, it doesn't seem sane that a rescue operation would be carried out by *ONE* person.  It would have made more sense to me - and kept to the game design - if she was supposed to be part of the original team, but delayed, and thus arrives after everyone else has disappeared.  She still gets an email / radio message giving the same information before she parachutes in.  Yeah, the game is loaded with humor, but with a little tweaking it could have been internally consistent.  Internal consistency isn't exactly a hallmark accomplishment of humor/homage games, but it's something to consider.

Annie's face, is just odd.  All I can think is that she's having some severe allergic reaction, there's just so much red around her nose.

Tent laptop: These comments should have started before the expedition, honestly, it takes a minute of walking across the island to see signs of human habitation.  Reactions should have run gamut from hoax to must-be-aliens.

Scope of the game blows me away.  The size of the island is astounding and I just discovered the "mini-games" inside the amusement park?!  No wonder this took you five years of development.  Actually, how the hell did you do all of this in only five years?!

BUGS:
Spoiler

1) Changed into pirate outfit, went back into one of the other rooms in the tower - or at least I tried, and the mouse disappeared.
2) Inside Montezuma's Revenge: In the mines:  Grab the pickaxe, go down the ladder, go back up - and you cannot put the axe down
3) Inside Montezuma's Revenge: At Lemmings: hold the beam of wood and click on the stairs, and you get to the next room without stopping the lemmings.
[close]

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

elentgirl

Quote from: Cogliostro on Wed 29/05/2013 17:30:11
One thing struck me odd, it doesn't seem sane that a rescue operation would be carried out by *ONE* person.  It would have made more sense to me - and kept to the game design - if she was supposed to be part of the original team, but delayed, and thus arrives after everyone else has disappeared. 
BUGS:
Spoiler

1) Changed into pirate outfit, went back into one of the other rooms in the tower - or at least I tried, and the mouse disappeared.
2) Inside Montezuma's Revenge: In the mines:  Grab the pickaxe, go down the ladder, go back up - and you cannot put the axe down
3) Inside Montezuma's Revenge: At Lemmings: hold the beam of wood and click on the stairs, and you get to the next room without stopping the lemmings.
[close]

Thank you for your comments.

With regard to only sending one person to rescue the team, you are quite right - it would be ridiculous.  But my game is something of a spoof, which is why it is down to one smart girl to save the day, Lara Croft style!  I could write at length on the philosophy of adventure games in general and how much (or how little) they reflect reality, but I'm not sure that would be appropriate to this thread.

With regard to the bugs, thank you for pointing them out.  2 and 3 I can fix fairly easily, I think - looks like another patch will be needed.  However, the first one I could not replicate.  I tried every door and they all worked as they should.  Perhaps I'm missing something.

GAME UPDATE

I have created a second patch for my game to fix a few irritating bugs, especially in the Montezuma's Mountain section.  I designed it to update version 1.2 to version 1.3, but I tried it on the earlier version (v1.1) and it seemed to update that just as well.  And the updated version will still load games saved with the older versions.  The latest patch is available at: https://www.box.com/s/cboyb2vwum9wnq8sm24x

srnickolas

hello! played this some time today and i must say is very fun,combining different styles of adventures into one(side scroller ,myst-like etc).Shooting section is hilarious,myst section devious and i loved the lemmings reference in montezuma section.Just droped by to mention a little bug : when i encountered the zombie, the sound effect of it remained for the remaining game,either if i load it again.Havent tried the latest patch though...i am in the manor now and i still hear it !

elentgirl

Quote from: srnickolas on Sat 01/06/2013 16:04:26
Just droped by to mention a little bug : when i encountered the zombie, the sound effect of it remained for the remaining game,either if i load it again.Havent tried the latest patch though...i am in the manor now and i still hear it !

Did you save the game while the zombie was making its noise?  I ask because I have had no end of trouble with repeating sound effects not turning off properly when a saved game is reloaded.  I have been told that it may be a bug in AGS itself.  I have put in a little routine in most of the places where I use a repeating sound effect, but I'm not sure if I remembered to do this for the zombie.  I will have a look.  Another patch may be needed.  Every time I have tested the game and moved away from the zombie without saving, the sound effect has stopped.

Sslaxx

Quote from: elentgirl on Wed 29/05/2013 14:58:52
GAME UPDATE!

That link sends my antivirus package into conniption fits. It absolutely refuses to let me download it.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

srnickolas

Quote from: elentgirl on Sat 01/06/2013 17:42:27
Quote from: srnickolas on Sat 01/06/2013 16:04:26
Just droped by to mention a little bug : when i encountered the zombie, the sound effect of it remained for the remaining game,either if i load it again.Havent tried the latest patch though...i am in the manor now and i still hear it !

Did you save the game while the zombie was making its noise?  I ask because I have had no end of trouble with repeating sound effects not turning off properly when a saved game is reloaded.  I have been told that it may be a bug in AGS itself.  I have put in a little routine in most of the places where I use a repeating sound effect, but I'm not sure if I remembered to do this for the zombie.  I will have a look.  Another patch may be needed.  Every time I have tested the game and moved away from the zombie without saving, the sound effect has stopped.
well i dont remember maybe...do you want to send you a save file?

Also sometimes when you are outside the manor(i thinks that occures when exiting first the manor) and click to the left of the screen to exit,then the character does something bizzare:see goes at the center of the screen and just climbs up and down the stairs repeatedly without stoping!

elentgirl

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 01/06/2013 18:31:58
That link sends my antivirus package into conniption fits. It absolutely refuses to let me download it.

As you downloaded the game from the same source, I suspect that your antivirus may be objecting because the patch is an 'exe' file.  I have copied both patches into a folder to see if that will fool your antivirus.  You should only need to use the latest patch, even on an earlier version of the game.  The link to the new folder is: https://www.box.com/s/33gr9h6v89vep48d46h2

I hope it works OK.

Quote from: srnickolas on Sat 01/06/2013 20:32:27
Also sometimes when you are outside the manor(i thinks that occures when exiting first the manor) and click to the left of the screen to exit,then the character does something bizzare:see goes at the center of the screen and just climbs up and down the stairs repeatedly without stoping!

Thank you, but I have already been alerted to that particular peculiarity and the patches I put on-line should have cured it.  Please let me know if you have patched your game and Annie is still doing her strange dance!

Regarding the zombie, I have done a bit more investigating and I think it must be linked to saving and loading the game when close by the zombie.  I should be able to make a patch for it fairly soon.  In the meantime, to avoid the problem, don't save your game while the zombie is growling at you.  Move away before you save.

I'm glad you are enjoying my game (apart from the glitches!) and thank you for your comments.

LimpingFish

Let's keep the double-posting to a minimum, peeps. Use the ol' "modify" button to edit posts.

srnickolas

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 01/06/2013 22:28:34
Let's keep the double-posting to a minimum, peeps. Use the ol' "modify" button to edit posts.
yes sorry for that!

Uziel

Quote from: elentgirl on Sat 01/06/2013 22:02:09
As you downloaded the game from the same source, I suspect that your antivirus may be objecting because the patch is an 'exe' file.  I have copied both patches into a folder to see if that will fool your antivirus.  You should only need to use the latest patch, even on an earlier version of the game.  The link to the new folder is: https://www.box.com/s/33gr9h6v89vep48d46h2

I downloaded the patch (Chrome spat the dummy for some reason with your d/load... even though I d/load all my AGS games through there without issue, but Firefox let me d/load it). Both patches error out on execution when run in the same directory as the game with "unable to determine startup path: getshortpathnamew failed. the specified game file might be missing."

The game was a bit of fun, but after the glitches have prevented me from continuing further, then the trouble with the patches, I might call it a day. I dare say the fault may be with me anyway, as others haven't posted problems with installing the patch. Oh well.

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Tue 04/06/2013 10:35:50
The game was a bit of fun, but after the glitches have prevented me from continuing further, then the trouble with the patches, I might call it a day. I dare say the fault may be with me anyway, as others haven't posted problems with installing the patch. Oh well.

I'm sad that you have had all this trouble with the game.  Both the patch files ran perfectly when I tested them, so I'm not sure why they are not working for you.  The only other alternative is to download the latest version of the game (version 1.3).  If you've saved your game (which I'm sure you have!) the saved game files should load into the new version with no problems.  If you would like to try that, the link is: https://www.box.com/s/c2hcc0fx4tijgcgnpz3x

splat44

Hi,

I might have found a bug here:
Inventory item I have: tape from tent, curious item (next screen) another curious item (outside building with many doors). Inside same building: playground ticket, some ID including compass.

Inventory item I have: tape from tent, curious item (next screen) another curious item (outside building with many doors). Inside same building: playground ticket, some ID including compass.

Spoiler
However, no one seem to mentioned about clearing area before getting to lemming area.
Is this a bug? I recall play this first time and by doing several thing before, I didn't had to clear area before getting to lemming area in which I was able doing following: attempting throwing pickax and explosived.
Again, after clearing area (before entering lemming) can't do a thing here as others pointed.
[close]

elentgirl

Quote from: splat44 on Tue 04/06/2013 21:32:41
Hi,

Spoiler
However, no one seem to mentioned about clearing area before getting to lemming area.
Is this a bug? I recall play this first time and by doing several thing before, I didn't had to clear area before getting to lemming area in which I was able doing following: attempting throwing pickax and explosived.
Again, after clearing area (before entering lemming) can't do a thing here as others pointed.
[close]

You cannot use anything from your inventory in the Montezuma's Mountain section.  If your problem is that the hotspots in the mine for putting things back there have disappeared, then you need to use the latest patch to upgrade the game to version 1.3.  If it isn't that, then...
Spoiler

Maybe using the rope is the key to solving the puzzle!
[close]

If neither of these help, please try to let me know exactly what you did and what happened (or didn't happen) and I'll try to fix it.

splat44

Quote from: elentgirl on Tue 04/06/2013 22:56:34
Quote from: splat44 on Tue 04/06/2013 21:32:41
Hi,

Spoiler
[close]

You cannot use anything from your inventory in the Montezuma's Mountain section.  If your problem is that the hotspots in the mine for putting things back there have disappeared, then you need to use the latest patch to upgrade the game to version 1.3.  If it isn't that, then...
Spoiler

Maybe using the rope is the key to solving the puzzle!
[close]

If neither of these help, please try to let me know exactly what you did and what happened (or didn't happen) and I'll try to fix it.

I am already using latest version 1.3 found on your website, I'll be more than glad to upload my savegave.

elentgirl

Quote from: splat44 on Wed 05/06/2013 00:20:18
I am already using latest version 1.3 found on your website, I'll be more than glad to upload my savegave.

The AGS save files are not usually very large, so you could send it to me as an email attachment if you like. My email is on my AGS profile.

splat44

I solved this area! It's just hotspot didn't showed until I attempted getting past lemmings at first!

Quote from: elentgirl on Wed 05/06/2013 10:01:23
Quote from: splat44 on Wed 05/06/2013 00:20:18

The AGS save files are not usually very large, so you could send it to me as an email attachment if you like. My email is on my AGS profile.

TMontZ

Hi elentgirl,

Just wanted to say that I am loving this game so far.  The puzzles I've completed are quite well-designed and fun (and there's a wide variety of puzzle types, not to mention the mini-games), and the references to classic games and pop culture are worked in very artfully.  The understated humor is also spot-on.  The pacing seems solid and the game feels fairly non-linear, too.

I have to admit that I didn't expect all this looking at the screenshots and description you posted - they somehow don't convey the game's rich and unique personality, and don't show how cohesive the game actually feels when you play it.  I guess these qualities can be hard to demonstrate in a screenshot or text.  I took a leap of faith in downloading this, based on some of the things people said in this thread, but I'm really glad I did.  I'm honestly enjoying it every bit as much as I've enjoyed certain favorite classic adventures.

Slight "spoilers" (barely, just give away locations mainly):
Spoiler
Anyway, I'm not sure how far along I am, but I've collected several artifacts from the amusement park, a number of identical "mysterious objects," and have solved a bunch of puzzles.  Right now I'm in the middle of the TSA section.
[close]
Indeed, this seems like a pretty 'big' game considering that it's freeware.

I do have some critiques and I've been writing them down, but I think I'll wait until I finish the game to post/send anything about that.

I'm really impressed with this.  Thank you for making it, and I look forward to playing other games by you!  You are apparently a really meticulous designer, so I hope you'll keep making projects, and it'd be great to see a commercial indie someday from you (just a thought!).

TMontZ

elentgirl

Hello TMontZ

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated.  I selected the screenshots as what I thought would make good tasters without giving away too much, but it is difficult for me to know what will appeal to other players.  I made Adventure Island to be the sort of game I would enjoy playing!

If you would like to help me, and any other players who are uncertain about investing in such a large download, the best way you could help is by rating my game on the AGS Games page, and maybe posting a comment or two as well.  The recommendation of other players is worth much more than anything I can say.

I also look forward to your criticisms.  I received quite a few on my earlier game, Once Upon A Time, and these helped me make this game much better (I hope!)

From what you have said about your progress in Adventure Island I would guess that you are less than a quarter of the way through it.  But you are already beginning to get a feel for the way the different parts are related and lead to the finale act.

Good luck
Elen

splat44

I've found the following scripting error in atlantis area:

ObjectOn: invalid object specified

in "globalScript.asc", line 593
from "room146.asc", line 50

The bug is happening when storing artifact related to Atlantean and trying using artifact scan in room where the blue phone booth is.

Additionaly, when using artifact scan on gap, the gap is being covered but cannot seems to cross it.

elentgirl

BUG ALERT
Quote from: splat44 on Mon 10/06/2013 17:29:07
I've found the following scripting error in atlantis area:

ObjectOn: invalid object specified

in "globalScript.asc", line 593
from "room146.asc", line 50

The bug is happening when storing artifact related to Atlantean and trying using artifact scan in room where the blue phone booth is.

There is a risk that your game could crash with an error message if you try to use the scan probe in any of the rooms in the temple in Atlantis except for the end room.  I can create a patch to cure this but my tests suggest that the patched game may not load or run previously saved games.  The problem can be avoided by not using the scan probe in any of the rooms except for the end room (you will know it when you get there).  There is no need to use the scan probe in any other of the temple rooms. It is safe to use the scan probe in the end room. I apologise for this problem.

Uziel

After redownloading this wonderful game (v1.3), I've been plugging away through the game and have hit another glitch. I just finished all the puzzles through the portal (kings of nasgard, singing table, etc) and returned to the Temple of Atlantis to retry the weights puzzle. The actual scales/buckets were gone, and whilst the hotspots for them were still active, as soon as I put a weight in a bucket, the game locked up. Help?

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Fri 14/06/2013 05:02:23
After redownloading this wonderful game (v1.3), I've been plugging away through the game and have hit another glitch. I just finished all the puzzles through the portal (kings of nasgard, singing table, etc) and returned to the Temple of Atlantis to retry the weights puzzle. The actual scales/buckets were gone, and whilst the hotspots for them were still active, as soon as I put a weight in a bucket, the game locked up. Help?

I'm afraid my response is much the same as yours - Help!  This is beyond my knowledge - I don't think it is simply a scripting problem.  The fact that the game locked up suggests that something had corrupted in the program somewhere.  I have had similar experiences with other games and programs. Have you tried restarting the game and loading a saved game before this happened.  If it occurs again I shall have to ask some of the more experienced AGS programmers for advice.  I'm sorry this has happened.

Uziel

Quote from: elentgirl on Fri 14/06/2013 10:28:42
I'm afraid my response is much the same as yours - Help!  This is beyond my knowledge - I don't think it is simply a scripting problem.  The fact that the game locked up suggests that something had corrupted in the program somewhere.  I have had similar experiences with other games and programs. Have you tried restarting the game and loading a saved game before this happened.  If it occurs again I shall have to ask some of the more experienced AGS programmers for advice.  I'm sorry this has happened.

The weird thing is, when I saved (in this room) the scales were there. But now whenever I quit the game and reload, they aren't. Unfortunately because I went here very early in this current playthrough, I don't have a save before this started happening. All my save games do the same thing in this room. I'll start the game from scratch again, and try again I guess?

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Fri 14/06/2013 12:07:10
The weird thing is, when I saved (in this room) the scales were there. But now whenever I quit the game and reload, they aren't. Unfortunately because I went here very early in this current playthrough, I don't have a save before this started happening. All my save games do the same thing in this room. I'll start the game from scratch again, and try again I guess?

I tried saving my game in that room and reloaded it again without anything occurring that should not.  I really don't know what to suggest beyond what you have proposed.  I'm very sorry.  If you do decide to start the game again, I suggest you ensure you are playing the latest version (version 1.4).

Tinytim

Where is the download for version 1.4?,please. :confused:

Shadow1000

Just two small comments, now that I'm into the game by two weeks:

- There is a lot of walking back and forth. This often includes rooms that don't include hotspots or actions to be taken. It might be a good idea to allow the user to adjust the game speed so navigating doesn't take as long. Another idea would have been to create teleports once you complete certain tasks or discover new areas. This would affect gameplay so it would have to be done carefully.

- I am wondering if it's a coincidence or deliberate that the icon for the game is so similar to Apple's Safari icon? :)

Otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun playing.

SHADOW

elentgirl

Quote from: Tinytim on Fri 14/06/2013 15:27:33
Where is the download for version 1.4?

The current version that you download from the AGS Games page is version 1.4, but you like you can get it direct from: https://www.box.com/s/oohbm56d77gtjt9aa35b
If you are not in a rush, I am working on a couple of revisions and plan to upload version 1.5 in the next day or so.  I will post a link as soon as it is available, or I can post a patch to update version 1.4 to version 1.5 if you prefer.

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 14/06/2013 15:59:56
Just two small comments, now that I'm into the game by two weeks:

- There is a lot of walking back and forth. This often includes rooms that don't include hotspots or actions to be taken. It might be a good idea to allow the user to adjust the game speed so navigating doesn't take as long. Another idea would have been to create teleports once you complete certain tasks or discover new areas. This would affect gameplay so it would have to be done carefully.

- I am wondering if it's a coincidence or deliberate that the icon for the game is so similar to Apple's Safari icon? :)

Otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun playing.

SHADOW

I think the amount of walking about that you do depends upon how you play the game.  Most of those who played the game before I uploaded it tended to complete one section at a time before moving on to another.  That way there is not too much walking around involved.  I think having too many teleports would take away some of the fun from the ones that are already in the game.

The game icon is simply a small compass, which I thought was suitable for the game.  Perhaps Apple liked it as well.

Shadow1000

Quote from: elentgirl on Fri 14/06/2013 16:26:43

The game icon is simply a small compass, which I thought was suitable for the game.  Perhaps Apple liked it as well.

Well, then I think you should sue Apple for stealing your icon design and make a lot of money! Samsung did that and won.

SHADOW

Uziel

Quote from: elentgirl on Fri 14/06/2013 14:16:25
I tried saving my game in that room and reloaded it again without anything occurring that should not.  I really don't know what to suggest beyond what you have proposed.  I'm very sorry.  If you do decide to start the game again, I suggest you ensure you are playing the latest version (version 1.4).

A completely new game and the scales are back. I'll try completing section by section, than jumping around as much as I was.
What's altered between 1.3 and 1.4?

elentgirl

Quote from: Uziel on Sat 15/06/2013 00:43:03
A completely new game and the scales are back. I'll try completing section by section, than jumping around as much as I was.
What's altered between 1.3 and 1.4?

I'm sorry you have had to go to these lengths - I hope you do not hit any more obstacles (other than those I planned in the game!).  I'm not sure whether completing the game section by section makes it less prone to glitches - it's supposed to be glitch free however it is played!  It will cut down on the walking.

I'm trying to remember what changed between the two versions.  Not a great deal, but it fixed a couple of bugs that could have caused trouble, and I added an extra hint or two in Annie's thoughts, based upon what I have learned from those playing it, such as yourself.  Please keep the feedback coming in - criticism as well as praise.  If I can improve the game in little ways, then I will.

I've just seen your lovely comment on the AGS Games page.  Thank you very much!

Andy

Hi - I just wanted to say I have been playing your game for the last couple of weeks, and I have really enjoyed it :)

I managed to finish the game this morning, and as challenging as the game was, (and it was very challenging!), I did finish the game without the aid of any hints or tips. Thought you might like to hear that.

So yeah, I encountered a couple a bugs:

1) I right-clicked on the kingdom of skulls puzzle with a skull in my hand and it disappeared forever.
2) I saved the game with the blacksmith snoring (had to listen to him snore for a whole hour! But then suddenly he stopped, much to my relief)

They did not stop my enjoyment of the game though, and given the sheer size of the game, I'm not surprised there will be a couple of bugs here or there.

This game is huge! And does not feel rushed in any way. I like the voice-overs, the way you can go back and forth between each mission, and just thoroughly enjoyed the game.

Lastly, the golden globe was rather unexpected!

donkeymilk

You might want to move the patches for this game to the first page,so people can find them easier.
I couldn't find the 4th patch,but eventually found the latest version of the game from your website.
Thanks for great game!

elentgirl

Quote from: Andy on Sun 16/06/2013 10:28:20
Hi - I just wanted to say I have been playing your game for the last couple of weeks, and I have really enjoyed it :)

I managed to finish the game this morning, and as challenging as the game was, (and it was very challenging!), I did finish the game without the aid of any hints or tips. Thought you might like to hear that.

So yeah, I encountered a couple a bugs:

1) I right-clicked on the kingdom of skulls puzzle with a skull in my hand and it disappeared forever.
2) I saved the game with the blacksmith snoring (had to listen to him snore for a whole hour! But then suddenly he stopped, much to my relief)

They did not stop my enjoyment of the game though, and given the sheer size of the game, I'm not surprised there will be a couple of bugs here or there.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the game, and well done for completing it without any help.  It's good to know that I have not made any of the puzzles impossibly hard!  And thank you for adding your comments to the AGS Games page.

The two bugs you mentioned are already known to me, but thank you for mentioning them. 
1) I discovered with an earlier version of the game that a skull could disappear if one was on the plinth and you were also holding one.  That no longer happens.
2) This is due in part to a bug in the AGS program.  I have put a work around in my game but it does not always work.  I'm sorry you had to put up with all that snoring!

Quote from: donkeymilk on Sun 16/06/2013 16:41:36
You might want to move the patches for this game to the first page,so people can find them easier.

I think that is a good idea, but I'm not sure how to do it.  I thought all the posts were automatically filed in date order, so how would I move one to the first page?  Should I start a new thread, and if so, which heading should I put it under?

LimpingFish

Quote from: elentgirl on Sun 16/06/2013 21:49:18
I think that is a good idea, but I'm not sure how to do it.  I thought all the posts were automatically filed in date order, so how would I move one to the first page?  Should I start a new thread, and if so, which heading should I put it under?

Go to first post > click "modify" > add whatever new information you have, links, etc > click "save".

Don't start a new thread. ;)

elentgirl

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 16/06/2013 22:13:12
Go to first post > click "modify" > add whatever new information you have, links, etc > click "save".

Don't start a new thread. ;)

Thank you - I didn't think to do it that way!  I shall organise that tomorrow.

elentgirl

BUG ALERT

I have uploaded version 1.5 of my game.  This corrects a bug in the Buccaneer's Creek section which in some circumstances can prevent players completing the game.  I have also created a patch to upgrade version 1.4 to version 1.5.  If you are playing v1.4 and have not yet played the Buccaneer's Creek section, I recommend that you use this patch.  It can be downloaded from: https://www.box.com/s/j096fb33cuvxd6f86h2i
This patch may work on earlier versions of the game but you may not then be able to load and run previously saved games.

Shadow1000

So, after completing the game, I`ve decided to offer my comments:

OVERVIEW

Adventure Island pays tribute to many popular games, movies and cultural references. I consider it a full length game of exceptional quality that only emerges on the AGS scene every few years. Graphically excellent with professional quality voice acting creates a perfect environment, covering a vast range of contexts, all rendered expertly. As a tribute game, Adventure Island is a departure from the traditional, linear, plot-based adventure offering a unique, modular approach instead.

NOTE:
- The game contains brief partial nudity so it may not be suitable for younger players or players who find this offensive.
- A number of puzzles (I can think of five offhand) require good colour recognition. If you are colour deficient like I am, or your screen's ability to display colours happens to suck, you will find a number of them impossible to complete without assistance.

WHAT I LIKED

- As I said, the game is modular, in the sense that instead of having a strong plot that unfolds as you play, the main goal of the game receives seldom reference throughout the majority of the game and only is revisited near the end. The worlds the player visits are self-contained mini-games with their own story or theme. This approach could have led to disjoint gameplay but is actually rendered exceptionally well. I will elaborate shortly
- The graphics and environment were among the strong points of the game. The backgrounds and exceptional detail including voice acting and sound clearly took a lot of meticulous work and make a huge difference. I am amazed at the sheer variety of contexts that converge seamlessly as a result of this effort. (See next section for some points on this).
- Just to add about the sound, I've rarely seen so much detail put into background sounds from walking on the bridge to birds chirping and so on. Often voice acting doesn't really add to the game but in this case it was perfect.
- The puzzles are also a strong point. Being a work composed of many sub-environments, the variety of puzzles is exceptional. The puzzles in this game range from the inventory-based puzzles to object puzzles, to gathering clues from dialogue and reading details puzzles to a maze, to arcade-style games and many, many more. There really is something for everyone in this game and the player will never tire despite the length because of the variety. I have to say that some of the best puzzles I've encountered in any adventure game are contained in Adventure Island.
- Overall, the creativity is sheer genius. The attention to detail is exceptional. Great sense of humour!

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE

- I mentioned the puzzles as part of the strength of the game. That said, there were puzzles that I found to be impossible to solve, even when given the solution. Too many of these roadblocks did diminish the overall fun of the game.
- More on the puzzles: personally, I am not a big fan of "object puzzles" (AKA "stare at a wall and click/slide/press/move thingies around trying to figure out some pattern until something happens"). A few of them are fine and expected in a game but this one was too heavy in this type of puzzle for my liking. There was one such puzzle that took me about 45 minutes of sliding stuff around to finally solve and when that was complete, I was smacked in the face by a combination lock! Grrrrr! It's possible that testing of the game with a broader group would have helped with this aspect.
- The graphics were really beautiful as I said, but ironically, Annie's face looked zombie-like. (Note: I raised this point to the author and she explained how that happened). Another thing Is that the animation of the people, particularly the articulation of limbs while moving looked somewhat stiff and unnatural.
- I don't mind that the interface took some getting used to but I found that moving from room to room was sometimes difficult because the hotspots for the arrows were placed inconsistently.
- My biggest complaint:

Spoiler! Don't read till you've completed the game!

Spoiler
The ending was disappointing. I won't elaborate because some people will read this before completing the game despite my warning ;) but a game of this length should definitely reward the player with something more spectacular. The game is very polished in almost every aspect and a proper ending would have really completed the project
[close]

CONCLUSION

Elen's second game is really an impressive work, demonstrating exceptional creativity and graphic skill. The ability to construct an enjoyable environment and compelling puzzles was expertly executed in Adventure Island. If you are willing to be patient and persistent in solving puzzles and don't mind requiring assistance from time to time, then this game will be a rewarding and fun experience.

Congratulations to Elen and to all who participated in this game!

SHADOW

PS What does "Who says I'm not PC" mean??? :)

elentgirl

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 23/06/2013 06:52:40
So, after completing the game, I`ve decided to offer my comments:
Thank you for your very balanced review.  I'm glad that on the whole you enjoyed the game.

I presume the puzzle you are talking about that took you 45 minutes of sliding things around is the puzzle box in the Black Dog Manor section.  Not everyone's cup of tea, I accept, but as I'm sure you noticed, each section of Adventure Island pays tribute to a different genre of adventure game, and in the type of game that Black Dog Manor is a pastiche of, puzzle boxes were very common, often with as many as four or five puzzles one after another!  Just be thankful that I kept it to two.

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 23/06/2013 06:52:40
PS What does "Who says I'm not PC" mean??? :)
Like a lot of my references, this is a bit cryptic.  Annie is based partly upon Lara Croft, and I deliberately gave her a T-shirt similar to Lara's in style and colour.  Lara Croft has been considered by some people (feminists in particular) as not PC (Politically Correct).  Annie, on the other hand, as a computer game character is definitely PC (Personal Computer)!  Sorry, it's a groan inducing pun, I know.

Shadow1000

Hi Elen

Glad you liked my review :)

Quote from: elentgirl on Sun 23/06/2013 10:46:06

I presume the puzzle you are talking about that took you 45 minutes of sliding things around is the puzzle box in the Black Dog Manor section.  Not everyone's cup of tea, I accept

Correct, but my concern was not the puzzle. It was that there are too many one after the other.

, but as I'm sure you noticed, each section of Adventure Island pays tribute to a different genre of adventure game, and in the type of game that Black Dog Manor is a pastiche of, puzzle boxes were very common, often with as many as four or five puzzles one after another!  Just be thankful that I kept it to two.

No, I did not realize that Black Dog Manor is based on any specific genre of game. I'm just glad I didn't play those games. I would have just deleted a game with five sliders after another!

Like a lot of my references, this is a bit cryptic.  Annie is based partly upon Lara Croft, and I deliberately gave her a T-shirt similar to Lara's in style and colour.  Lara Croft has been considered by some people (feminists in particular) as not PC (Politically Correct).  Annie, on the other hand, as a computer game character is definitely PC (Personal Computer)!  Sorry, it's a groan inducing pun, I know.

LOL...thanks for the explanation :)

Cheers

SHADOW

sthomannch

Excellent game and good puzzles! I enjoy it a lot

elentgirl

VERSION 2 of my adventure game, Adventure Island, is now available.  In response to feedback from those of you who have played my game, I have added extra hints for some of the more challenging puzzles, enlarged a number of hotspots, and added a couple of cut scenes to the end section.  This version also fixes all the bugs that have been reported to me.  I have added Version 2 to the AGS games page.

dbuske

Looks impressive.  Did you try to get it published by an Adventure game company.
Downloading now. I will report back with my impressions.

Wonderful game. I love it. I can see the length is full commercial lenght.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

CelticWarrior72

Elen:

You asked for some suggested improvements to Adventure Island.  Here's my 2 cents:

1) Being so big, there's a lot of walking around to do sometimes particularly when trying to figure something out.  I'd love to see a clickable map like you provided for the theme park that builds as the player explores a new world.  It'd provide a quick way to navigate the island.
2) Some of the hotspots need to be bigger or more obvious.  I think that many players automatically run their mouse over the entire screen in these types of games to discover what's available to click on or walk to.  If the hotspots are too small they can often be passed over and can get a player stuck because they have missed something. I.e. it took me a long time to discover the closet with the disguise and the safe behind the picture.
3) For The Maze puzzle, it was obvious to me that moving between point A and B withing a certain time was required.  When I calculated that 30 seconds was all that was allotted and that a minimum of 45 seconds was needed, I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for another solution rather than the one that was actually needed.  For timed puzzles (including the very last one), give the player enough time or find a way to tell them exactly how long they have to complete the task.

All in all though, I really enjoyed playing.  And, I've played a LOT of adventure games in my life.

- CW

elentgirl

Quote from: CelticWarrior72 on Tue 06/08/2013 15:13:02
1) Being so big, there's a lot of walking around to do sometimes particularly when trying to figure something out.  I'd love to see a clickable map like you provided for the theme park that builds as the player explores a new world.  It'd provide a quick way to navigate the island.
A map of the island is a possibility, though I would have to think about how to implement it without causing any problems.  One or two people have commented that they think there is a lot of walking involved, but maybe that is partly down to expectations.  I thought my game was reasonably compact compared to some of the games I enjoy playing, particularly the Myst family and its clones (Rhem, Schizm, etc).  Compared to other types of game, however, there is a lot of walking around, especially those where you have to solve all the puzzles in one room before you can move on to the next.  These tend to offer rather linear play, whereas I prefer more non-linear games.  I've certainly made Adventure Island in that mould.  Maybe a map would be a good compromise.  Time for me to start thinking about version 3 of my game!
2) Some of the hotspots need to be bigger or more obvious.  I think that many players automatically run their mouse over the entire screen in these types of games to discover what's available to click on or walk to.  If the hotspots are too small they can often be passed over and can get a player stuck because they have missed something. I.e. it took me a long time to discover the closet with the disguise and the safe behind the picture.
Have you been playing version 2 or one of the earlier versions?  I enlarged many of the hotspots in version 2 as players were having difficulty finding them.  However, I do prefer hotspots for activating something (a door handle, button or lever) to be focused on that object rather than a big area around it.  And one or two are for hidden things when it is intended for the player to do a bit of searching.  Adventure Island is designed to be about exploring and looking for things as well as simply solving puzzles.
3) For The Maze puzzle, it was obvious to me that moving between point A and B withing a certain time was required.  When I calculated that 30 seconds was all that was allotted and that a minimum of 45 seconds was needed, I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for another solution rather than the one that was actually needed.  For timed puzzles (including the very last one), give the player enough time or find a way to tell them exactly how long they have to complete the task.
You are not the first person to find 30 seconds too short for this puzzle and I will extend it to the suggested 45  seconds when I next update the game.  Howver, I would not have fixed it at 30 seconds if I have not been able to complete the task in that time myself.  A little tight, I'll admit, but I have done it a number of times.  I can get between the two at quite a leisurely pace in 45 seconds!  Maybe different computers play the game at different rates, though the game is supposed to run at 40 frames a second as standard.
All in all though, I really enjoyed playing.  And, I've played a LOT of adventure games in my life.
I'm glad you enjoyed the game overall, and many thanks for your comments.  My aim is to improve the game if I can.
Elen

elentgirl

VERSION 2.1 of my adventure game, Adventure Island, is now available.  I have added a new map feature which allows players to move around the island more quickly once they have explored it.  This version also fixes a couple of minor bugs that were reported to me.  I have added Version 2.1 to the AGS games page.

I have also made a patch to upgrade version 2 to version 2.1 if anyone wishes to do so.  I cannot guarantee that games saved in version 2 will load successfully in version 2.1.  The patch can be downloaded from: https://app.box.com/s/slsj6dp3m8cpo6m6ht41

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk