OROW 8 (July 1st - July 7th) - Results

Started by cat, Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

cat

Welcome to OROW 8!

I'm excited to announce that we have 15 entries!

In alphabetical order:

Betrayal - Bulbapuck and Mathias Niemand
Draconis! - Radiant and Fizzii
Educating Adventures of Girl and Rabbit - Pablo and qptain Nemo
Fly Paper - Limping Fish
Jack Trekker - Sunny Penguin and Alpy
Kanji Gakusei - cat and raeff
MI - calicoreverie
One Dungeon One Week - Khris
Sinking - WHAM and Ghost
Tattooroom - squame
The Addict - Adeel S. Ahmed and Handsfree
The butler didn't do it - Tzach and Noa
The Crystal Ball - oraxon
The Reaper - ThreeOhFour
The Rebirth - Grundislav

And here are the top 5 of every category:

Best Game

The Rebirth - Grundislav
The Reaper - ThreeOhFour
MI - calicoreverie
Jack Trekker - Sunny Penguin and Alpy

Best Graphics

The Reaper - ThreeOhFour
The Rebirth - Grundislav
Tattooroom - squame

Best Concept / Writing

The Rebirth - Grundislav
The Reaper - ThreeOhFour

Best Sound / Music Design

MI - calicoreverie
The Rebirth - Grundislav
The Reaper - ThreeOhFour
Kanji Gakusei - cat and raeff

Best Programming / Coding

One Dungeon One Week - Khris
Sinking - WHAM and Ghost
Draconis! - Radiant and Fizzii
Betrayal - Bulbapuck and Mathias Niemand
MI - calicoreverie

Congratulations to all participants and thanks for voting!

DOWNLOAD THE GAMES HERE!

====================================================

What is OROW, you may ask. Well, here is a short definition, copied and adapted from an old thread:

The OROW competition is a very simple competition were you make a game that is one room big in just one week. This competition has in the past proven what the members of this community are capable of, and it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Rules:
    -Entries must be made using AGS.
    -Entries should have only one playable room/location. *)
    -Entries may have cut scenes, menus or limited controlled sequences outside the main room.
    -Entries must not use any premade content except published AGS templates, modules and plugins.
    -Entries must be submitted anonymously, more on that below.
    -You may get one other person to help you with your game (e.g. music, sounds). Maximum teamsize is two!

*) This means a room in real-life definition, not an AGS room. So feel free to do close-ups, different views of the same room, scrolling rooms, outdoor scenes,... The main purpose of this rule is to keep it small and simple. Making a game in one week is an enormous task so starting small is a good way to actually finish it in time. We are not too strict about this rule, though.

Anonymous submission
An important aspect in this competition is the anonymity. This means that you cannot share any information about your entry. Nor can your game contain your name. This is because the game should be voted on by its own merits. Please also not include your name in the game info, as this can be seen in the file info.

You submit the game by sending me a link via PM. I will then upload it to another site.

OROW starts on Monday, 1st of July 00:00 GMT and ends Sunday, 7th of July 23:59 GMT.
You may start thinking about your story before that date, but you are not allowed to produce anything yet (i.e. no graphics, coding, music...)

The winner will be decided by public vote once the competition ends. There will be 5 categories: BEST GAME, GRAPHICS, CONCEPT/WRITING, SOUND/MUSIC DESIGN, PROGRAMMING/CODING.

To support testing of the next AGS version, participants are encouraged to use the latest Beta which can be found here. Of course, this is purely optional.

Absolutely no information about your game should be shared with anyone until the competition and voting has ended. Please reply to this post if you intend to take part, but don't give any idea of what your game will be about.

In case you need some inspiration try this: http://videogamena.me/ (thanks Miez!)

Have fun!

bicilotti

Great! I am not sure I will be able to participate, but OROW has always been a fav of mine!

Ghost

NO WAY! We're having a OROW? I bet I can pull myself together for a week. Yes, one week is perfectly within my attention span. Yay!

[edit]
Oh shiny!

Ryan Timothy B

I desperately need to attend this one. I love OROW.

Miez

Ehm ... yeah, I'll give it a try as well. :)

AdventureWhip

It looks cool. Maybe I can try it. :)

awakening

This would have been awesome for me. Finish a MAGS, do an OROW.  But I'll be away :(

I might have my own personal OROW :)

Stupot

I will be starting a new job that week, so it probably wouldn't be wise for me to participate, but we'll see.

Adeel

The number of Positive Votes looks good so far. OROW sure looks promising. Count me in for this one. :)

P.S: I know it isn't necessary but I think you forgot to mention that we are voting here or perhaps you took a step ahead and went on to already announce it ;) rather than voting?

Miez

Quote from: cat on Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51
Welcome to OROW 8!

etc etc etc

Have fun!

But does this mean you won't be participating yourself, Cat?

cat

Quote from: Miez on Mon 10/06/2013 14:15:50
I will participate myself, but probably I will not vote as I will know who made the games.

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Mon 10/06/2013 12:53:09
I know it isn't necessary but I think you forgot to mention that we are voting here or perhaps you took a step ahead and went on to already announce it ;) rather than voting?
Quote from: cat on Mon 10/06/2013 09:23:51
The winner will be decided by public vote once the competition ends. There will be 5 categories: BEST GAME, GRAPHICS, CONCEPT/WRITING, SOUND/MUSIC DESIGN, PROGRAMMING/CODING.

I have not decided on a voting system yet, people seemed to be dissatisfied with last times system.

Radiant

I would love to join, but that is the one week in the next month or two that I cannot make it :(

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: cat on Mon 10/06/2013 14:37:57
Quote from: Miez on Mon 10/06/2013 14:15:50
I will participate myself, but probably I will not vote as I will know who made the games.
That's where we kindly get AGA to make an uploader script that makes the whole thing anonymous. (nod)

kaput

QuoteEntries may use content from any source, including pre-made.

What does this mean? Not sure I understand it correctly.

cat

Ah, yes, maybe I should rephrase this. I took this from an old OROW thread. What I mean is: It is ok to use freely available stuff(e.g. sounds, music, graphics). There are tons of public domain material on the internet.
However, you shouldn't be using stuff that you made previously and has since been lying on your disk. This would be an unfair advantage.

Ghost

But templates are okay to use? Nine-Verb, Verb-Coin, Two-Click and the like?

selmiak

Quote from: cat on Mon 10/06/2013 18:45:19
Ah, yes, maybe I should rephrase this. I took this from an old OROW thread. What I mean is: It is ok to use freely available stuff(e.g. sounds, music, graphics). There are tons of public domain material on the internet.
However, you shouldn't be using stuff that you made previously and has since been lying on your disk. This would be an unfair advantage.
what's the difference?

cat

Of course templates are ok.

The thing is that this should be about making a game in one week. Now if you already have stuff that you made before, the game was not made in one week and this would be unfair for the other participants.

There is still time to change the rules. I'm open to suggestions about existing material. Maybe we should even not allow any premade stuff exept templates. However, I think there should be at least a rule to exclude RoN and OSD.

Ponch

Quote from: cat on Mon 10/06/2013 18:58:00
I think there should be at least a rule to exclude... OSD.
It's because he's gay, right? Shame on you, Cat. I thought you were more open-minded than that. ;)

I think templates like the verb coin should be fine, but pre-made characters or backgrounds (and similar things) shouldn't be allowed. Just my two cents.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk