Shitty Quest

Started by JimMakesGames, Wed 19/06/2013 16:57:18

Previous topic - Next topic

JimMakesGames

Shitty Quest is the story of a neglected game character and a game designer with a demon to conquer. You must find your way out of your shitty situation and confront the game designer about what a crap effort this game is, and encourage him to do better. But there's a reason the designer is never finishing his games. Discover this and defeat his inner demon.

It's a deliberately poorly drawn game but it has been described as "charmingly shit". What it lacks in looks it makes up for in humour and some great voice acting. It's a short but satisfying game and any creative person will find the essence of the story quite familiar.

Features:

• Full voice acting
  • Amusing dialogue
  • Shitty graphics

Read the review by Indie Statik.

Download it at JimMakesGames.com or from the AGS database.

Check out the trailer:
[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eNFAbeP_7s[/embed]

Developer commentary video:

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bHWMD8WWaU[/embed]

Ghost

I really like the setup- and any game that lists shitty graphics as a feature MUST be good, right? D'loading now.

Retro Wolf

Judging by the dialogue of the characters, I don't think this will be so shitty! Looks funny!

Gribbler

Great trailer! Look like we're gonna have a good laugh  :)

JimMakesGames

Thanks for all your compliments. I hope you enjoy the game. Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Khris

I didn't have too high expectations at first but I really liked how it developed later on. I'm pretty much through, stuck at what I assume is the very end though.
Some really cool ideas in there, definitely worth checking out.

The only negative thing that I found is that while the game uses my favorite control scheme, it's backwards, with left-clicking to look at things and right-clicking to interact. I always wonder why people do that since it's so counterintuitive, at least to my mind.

Knox

Quote from: Khris on Thu 20/06/2013 00:02:27
I always wonder why people do that since it's so counterintuitive, at least to my mind.

Only shitty games do this  8-)
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

awakening

The only negative thing that I found is that while the game uses my favorite control scheme, it's backwards, with left-clicking to look at things and right-clicking to interact. I always wonder why people do that since it's so counterintuitive, at least to my mind.

Wasn't Beneath A Steel Sky like this?
Could be well wrong though.

JimMakesGames

Quote from: awakening on Thu 20/06/2013 04:57:12

Wasn't Beneath A Steel Sky like this?
Could be well wrong though.

Yeah I emulated the controls of Beneath a Steel Sky, one of my favourite adventures. Perhaps it would be good to make it configurable though, since there is division on which way around it should be.

By the way I did a sort of developer commentary with my co-writer and voice of the lazy guy. If you're interested, you can check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bHWMD8WWaU

Tinytim

If somebody says they know all the answers, they haven't been asked all the questions.

awakening

I'll have to download and play this, I watched 1.50 of the commentary thing, and already found myself laughing out loud :)
And the trailer!  Brilliant :)

By the way - are you a kiwi? :)

JimMakesGames

Quote from: awakening on Fri 21/06/2013 00:27:18
By the way - are you a kiwi? :)

No I'm English, but many have asked that, sometimes even my fellow Englandians.

monkey424

Hey Jim. Good to see your game made it to the AGS database.

I actually discovered this game a few weeks ago on YouTube. I love the one-liners from PacBilly
"That my good man is the stench of unbridled laziness."

The game has inspired me make promos for my own games. And also go for a jog this morning, cos I'm a lazy shit!

Anyway.. Shitty Quest. A fun little game, with an important message for our times.

Ghost

Solved it, and will rate/comment soon.

I really enjoyed the meta level of the game- having the game character interact with their creator felt really cool and funny. The puzzles were a bit on the "first game, so let's just stick to the classics" type but that didn't really matter, it was fun to play.
Nice writing too- I'm looking forward to more games!

selmiak

this game is not shitty at all! Great fun and as Ghost said, great metahumor!

JimMakesGames

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm very gratified to hear how well it's being received.

Speaking of which I've updated the main post with a link to a review on the Indie Statik website (yes I did squeal), and also the developer commentary video.

Grim

Brilliant game;) Made me think of Robert Sheckley's novels somehow. And a fantastic voice acting!

Now off to watch the dev commentary video!;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk