Displaying a GUI in line with a display message box

Started by Chicky, Mon 24/06/2013 23:38:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

Hello faithful Internet family! I have a game making question.

I'm trying to display a small image in the bottom right of my message box for the display command, I'm looking to have a looped animation play, like in traditional RPG's. Is there a way to retrieve the x and y coordinates of a text window edge? Or maybe the bottom right of a text window GUI?

I'm guessing after getting the coordinates I'll be able to check if the text window GUI is on and display another GUI with the graphic at the x and y. Am I looking at this the right way? I have a habit of doing these things ass backwards :)

Mucho thanks!

Chicky

Does anyone have any tips? Sorry for the bump, i'm a bit stumped on this one!

Khris

Afaik, using Display halts the engine completely. Even if there was a way to get the coordinates, you still couldn't use them anywhere.
The only way to do what you want is to create your own message box, I'm afraid.

Ghost

Quote from: Khris on Wed 03/07/2013 19:33:51
Afaik, using Display halts the engine completely.

Confirmed. It's an auto-pause. And the next click will remove the display panel.

Chicky

Ack, okay i'll look into creating my own message box :) I was using the 'New text window GUI' option previously, is there any documentation for setting up a normal GUI as a text window?

Thanks for help :)

Khris

Not really, but you can resize and center the label on the GUI according to GetTextWidth/Height, and as for the borders, create DynamicSprites from the border sprites and put them on there using buttons, too.

I actually created this very thing for a project once (on ice): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPCY3JGu0JU

It's not just a module though, it's going to need some preparation (2 GUIs, etc.)
Let me clean it up a bit and write a short how to. Might take me some time though, if you can wait a few days.

It does this "slide in from and out to zero height" effect you can see in the video; you can watch the message getting typed and speed it up, wrapping doesn't make long words jump to the next line mid-word, and you can optionally leave the box on the screen to show the next message if you have lots of lines to show. And it has a semi-transparent background :)
I basically wanted to come as close to Chrono Cross as possible.

Chicky

Awesome Khris, that would be a great help! I was looking for a way to have the text box expand on height and width when it opens, so the Chrono Cross style example will be invaluable :)

I wasn't really trying to imitate the RPG vibe (i've saved that for a parody battle mechanic), but was playing Kingdom Hearts and got inspired by their GUI design. I've made a pseudo battle system that uses inventory items as weapons, i'm using it as a puzzle mechanic so all the actions are pre scripted. Would be interesting to have a look at how you made your timer!

Thanks again Khris!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk