Dropsy: A Surreal Exploration Based Adventure Game

Started by TRoss, Sat 29/06/2013 19:04:27

Previous topic - Next topic

TRoss

Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker and an AGS fan, and finaly decided to sign up. I just backed a Kickstarter project to fund an adventure point-and-click game named Dropsy by Jay Tholen. Though its roots are in the point-and-click games of old, Dropsy will be an almost entirely text-free experience. There are colorful characters to communicate with, but the dialogue is handled visually (via icons) rather than linguistically. Oh, and the music is absolutely brilliant. Jay Tholen borrows from almost every relevant genre of the past 70 years, so the music evokes memories of an old Soundblaster card or FM Synthesizer, fuzzed out guitars, organs, tape echo, 70's drum machines, vintage keyboards...

I posted this because I thought some of you would find it interesting. I certainly did. :)
Here's a link to the Kickstarter page:

â†' Dropsy: A Surreal Exploration Based Adventure Game - Kickstarter Page

Cheers,
Tom

[embed=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrCucezKrrk[/embed]

Ghost

Gee, I dig that style and everything's better with Clowns! Thanks for sharing this.

ThreeOhFour

Yeah, Dropsy looks awesome (although I was kinda surprised to see it n Kickstarter again after it already got Kickstarted successfully).

Jay Tholen

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Sun 30/06/2013 00:06:46
Yeah, Dropsy looks awesome (although I was kinda surprised to see it n Kickstarter again after it already got Kickstarted successfully).

Howdy! I wanted to expand the budget to hire an animator, more capable programmer, and a composer to collaborate with.  The composer is Chris Schlarb, who worked on Nifflas' Night Sky and has a whole slew of incredible solo albums.

I'm really excited about this happening, so thanks for posting about it!

TRoss

qptain Nemo

Waiting for this. I'm really glad the project has resurfaced.

TRoss

FlyingMandarine

Seeing all the media coverage (great videos, by the way) along with the creator of the game posting in various forums or websites, I thought these $25,000 would be reached in no time.

I pledged a few hours ago; I hope Dropsy won't cry, because the character and the world built around him looks intriguing, to say the least!

qptain Nemo

I don't care if Dropsy cries. If this doesn't get funded, I will cry myself.

TRoss

Dropsy: Traditional Adventure + Open World?
Jay Tholen's brief explanation of how introducing an open world into an adventure game changes the puzzle design.

[embed=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQC8SG7mQk[/embed]

â†' Dropsy: A Surreal Exploration Based Adventure Game - Kickstarter Page

qptain Nemo

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

:~(

Armageddon

While the game looks good, I didn't care for the pitch video and forced humor. Just tell people what you want to make in a professional way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk