Alt+tab

Started by Kitty Trouble, Wed 03/07/2013 02:27:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Trouble

I don't know where to post problems with playing AGS games, or suggestions... If this in the wrong section please feel free to move it.

When playing full screen AGS-games, alt+tabbing out of the game and then returning will distort the color. Is there any workaround to this besides playing in windowed mode?

Khris

Does this happen for every AGS game? It might be an 8bit or 16bit issue. Do you have Windows 7? Do you get the flickering and the "Windows change to basic color scheme" message when you play it windowed?

Phemar

I remember this happening when I replayed Trilby's Notes a few weeks ago, but that game uses an old version of the AGS engine.

Kitty Trouble

This happened while playing the game "Gray". I just downloaded AGS and tried the demo game.

I believe Gray runs in 16 bits (the default setting) because it most closely resembles the problem.

The problem when running the default, 8-bit demo quest
Spoiler
[close]

The problem when changing demo quest to 16-bit
Spoiler
[close]

The normal way 16-bit demo quest looks
Spoiler
[close]

32-bit seems to have no problems. Is there a way to fix the problem with a non-32 bit game?

Khris

In winsetup, try switching to the Direct3D graphics driver.

You should also update your graphics card drivers and make sure you have the latest version of DirectX 9 installed.

Kitty Trouble

Direct3d prevents me from alt+tab'ing out of the game at all. I try, but then the image from the game remains in full screen and I can't do anything else.

I guess I can try the driver thing. Remember the problem is only there if I try to tab out and come back. I just don't want to play games in a tiny window but I want to be able to switch out of them without quitting.

[Edit] It's not directx or drivers. Does it do it for anyone else?

Adeel

Have you used "Alt-Tab" again when the colors distort? The colors of few games I played distorted too when I minimized them through "Alt-Tab" and then restored but all the colors would revert back to original at once when I minimized and restored them by "Alt-Tab" again.

Maybe its the same case as yours. Have a try and let us know.

Khris

You can play the games in a not so tiny window, too, provided they aren't too old. In winsetup, check the Graphics filter option.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk