An "Indiana Jones wearing his suit" sprite - which do you like best?

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Fri 05/07/2013 23:03:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Hobo on Wed 22/10/2014 12:58:05
Ultimately, you should base your choice on how the sprite fits together with the backgrounds and how comfortable do you feel animating it.
That's true. But the idle sprite is the one the player spends the most time contemplating, and the one that gives the Player Character its personality. It's a tough choice! ;)

Mad

I think I get where you're coming from concerning the loss of detail.

The things I wanted to address with my version were the very dark shadow under the nose and the ruby red lips.
The first ever so slightly looks like a beard only suited for tragic tramps and dictators. The latter is maybe a tad too metro for Indy.

Maybe, it could already help to tone both things mentioned down a bit.

All in all, I think you've already got a great sprite there.

Edit: the thing looking like a beard in my edit is supposed to be a five o'clock shadow. :wink:

Edit 2: some more food for thought...

[imgzoom]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab12/Mad1978/indyPO103.png[/imgzoom]

[delete}

Scuba diving Indy

Miez

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Amélie on Thu 23/10/2014 21:36:05
Couldn't resist, and pixeled some Atlantis-like sprites for it, quite fun!

Mind if we steal some bits and pieces? I have no idea if we would need that, but if we do, I'd sure be glad to be able to count on those sprites.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 24/10/2014 10:19:13
Mind if we steal some bits and pieces?

Hmmmm.... Considering you removed the sprites you uploaded... I suppose that means no?

[delete}

No, that means definitely yes!  :-*

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Amélie on Mon 27/10/2014 01:26:08
No, that means definitely yes!  :-*

Haha don't worry about "cluttering", everyone likes to see nice sprites, especially when they stimulate creativity! If you feel like you'd like to contribute some sprites or animations, you can always send them to me in PM, I'd be happy to look at them. Thanks for putting your sprites back up! Me likey.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

With the size of the sprite you can really use color to show some details.  What I did here was use different shades to highlight things I want to draw attention to.

[imgzoom]http://s25.postimg.org/mk52kj157/indianacojones.png[/imgzoom]

1.  His brow and cheekbones.  This helps to make the rest of his face look clean for the viewer.

2.  I made the stubble a shade of gray so it stands apart from his face without being so dark that it looks like a beard.

3.  Bent him back a bit so his pose looks a little more dynamic and adjusted his arms.

4.  Shaded the arms and legs a bit more to show shadows and highlights better.

You might hate it or you might like it.  If you like it, great :).

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens on Sun 23/11/2014 23:26:12
With the size of the sprite you can really use color to show some details.  What I did here was use different shades to highlight things I want to draw attention to.
1.  His brow and cheekbones.  This helps to make the rest of his face look clean for the viewer.
2.  I made the stubble a shade of gray so it stands apart from his face without being so dark that it looks like a beard.
3.  Bent him back a bit so his pose looks a little more dynamic and adjusted his arms.
4.  Shaded the arms and legs a bit more to show shadows and highlights better.
You might hate it or you might like it.  If you like it, great :).

Wow ProgZmax, I hadn't seen your post!
That's just great.  We had no sprite, and now we end up with several excellent sprites ;-D
the only question now is : How the hell are we going to produce sprites of equal quality for the rest of the game??? ;)
Thanks a lot to all of you. Lots of work for me now!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk