An "Indiana Jones wearing his suit" sprite - which do you like best?

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Fri 05/07/2013 23:03:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Notice how each face is different. Which one is the best in your opinion?

The first one is obviously the one that looks the most "naive" (with the childish face and the nose sticking out) but it's also the one that has that cheeky Harrison Ford look on it.

What do you think?

[imgzoom]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4055/muol.png[/imgzoom]

Damn, in moments like this I wish I could swap bodies with ProgZmax. I'd do it in his sleep, he'd never notice.

Ryan Timothy B

I prefer the right one. Looks the least goofy and quite real for such a low pixel sprite.

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 05/07/2013 23:03:05
Damn, in moments like this I wish I could swap bodies with ProgZmax. I'd do it in his sleep, he'd never notice.
I know. I've always been jealous of his abilities.

[delete}

The face is the tricky part at that pixel size

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Amélie on Sat 06/07/2013 01:09:31
The face is the tricky part at that pixel size

*gasp*
Apparently it wasn't too tricky for you!
Did you just draw that face or did you copy and paste it from somewhere elese? (Fountain of Youth's newest sprites?)
If you drew it, then I'm afraid I'm gonna have to beg you to draw a front face, a side face and optionally a back head (just those 3 heads!)

If you could do that you'd seriously boost the level of quality of our project.

PS: apparently you didn't like my shading too ;)

========

EDIT:
Damn. It is the face from the new FoY Indy. I hate you, the entire humanity, I'm going to dig a hole, lay into it, and wait for my own death.

Snarky

Maybe all the Indy fan games should go the Maniac Mansion Mania route and share art assets?

Haha, I bet lots of the artists won't like that idea one bit!

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 06/07/2013 11:39:55
Maybe all the Indy fan games should go the Maniac Mansion Mania route and share art assets?

Believe it or not, I tried that :D In my mind: "you give me a sprite that would be in any Indy game, I give you a background that would be in any Indy game". Apparently the idea was so outrageous that I didn't even get an answer ;)

[delete}

Ask me, ask me, Mathieu, I'm good with character sprites!

Monsieur OUXX

In the meantime I've continued working a little bit.
Apparently, nobody but me liked my 3 "naive" Indy's, so I tried a more realistic one. It's the best I can do without completely ripping off the FoY face (the one on the far right).

@Amelie, I tried to send you a PM on the AGS forums, but your settings forbid it. I also tried to send you an email to: s****t*******@yahoo.com but I suspect that's an address you don't consult often. :)

kaput

Monsieur OUXX

I've worked my ass off on this sprite (because I'm a bad sprite artist)

The right-hand sprite was the good one, but... it turned out that it was too small.
--> So I made the left-hand-side sprite.

(left: AFTER       right:BEFORE)

The face on the left-hand-side sprite might need some rework. But overall I'm happy with the proportions of the body (slightly beefy to look like Indy).

Miez

Good work! I think the bigger (new) sprite has much better proportions. But I like the old sprite's face a little better.

Cassiebsg

I think the biggest difference with the two sprites face, is that there's a "face" line along the right side of his head, right below the pixel hair, that makes his face more "chubby" and that isn't present on the original sprite. Also the hair in going bellow the hear on the left sprite, but not on the right sprite.

And great work! (nod) I like the new portions better too.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Hobo

Great sprite! I agree with Miez and Cassiebsg about the proportions and face.
I would delete that line of pixels from the right side of the face and maybe try something like this:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/pySazvG.png[/imgzoom]

Although the ear might be a bit too far back now.

Monsieur OUXX

I agree with all of you, I just didn't have the skills to draw a proper face.
Hobo, do you mind if we use your paintover in the game?

Monsieur OUXX

I've done two things:
1) The feet slightly longer (I tested the other sprite in-game, and the torso really looked massive on tiny feet ;) )
2) I've added a shade under the chin. Which di you think looks best?

[imgzoom]https://38.media.tumblr.com/bcdefe6709ffba43084902cd430d5398/tumblr_ndtc3csKiD1tsfksfo1_250.png[/imgzoom]

Hobo

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 21/10/2014 21:51:43
Hobo, do you mind if we use your paintover in the game?
Of course I don't mind. Why would I mind? Besides, it's not really a paintover, I hardly changed anything, just moved the face one pixel to the right and filled the gap with existing colors.

The feet do look better longer and that chin shade is also a nice touch. I think I prefer the middle one, but the third one looks equally good. Good work!

Mad

There has been quite some change since I've seen the thread, and I really like the latest edit.

I made a paintover of my own, while I've been on the go. So, this may be obsolete,  but I'll post it anyways:

[imgzoom]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab12/Mad1978/Mobile%20Uploads/indyPO102.png[/imgzoom]

Monsieur OUXX

I've heard some different opinions about Mad's paintover. Some say it looks like an actual beard. As for me, I like it, but the scale made the mouth and details sort of disappear.

What do you say on the AGS forums?

.M.M.

I think Mad's paintover is great, Indy became charismatic as much as it's possible at this tiny scale.

Hobo

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 22/10/2014 09:55:54
What do you say on the AGS forums?
Mad's version is defenitely better, but I think you're right about the loss of some details and style-wise it looks just a little bit different than the rest of the body.
Made an attempt to mix the two faces together and also changed the left shoulder (not sure if for better or worse):

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/EzAYv8a.png[/imgzoom]
Ultimately, you should base your choice on how the sprite fits together with the backgrounds and how comfortable do you feel animating it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk