Adore - A New Adventure Game Engine - Feature suggestions.

Started by Calin Leafshade, Mon 08/07/2013 09:55:41

Previous topic - Next topic

dbuske

Will Adore have the same way of scripting. Meaning the connection between the editor and scripting.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: General_Knox on Thu 11/07/2013 02:20:40
Adore...are you a Smashing Pumpkins fan? :)

Adore is a play on words. Firstly it uses Love for its rendering and it stands for Adventure Rendering Engine.
(But i am also a Pumpkins fan and that is my favourite pumpkins album :))

Quote from: General_Knox on Thu 11/07/2013 02:20:40
Maybe a dumb question but could an AGS project be "transfered" to Adore without too much hassle?

Short answer is no.

Long answer is maybe partially. One could export rooms and characters and stuff easily enough but the scripting API and stuff will probably be fundamentally different and so conversion would be difficult.

Quote from: dbuske on Thu 11/07/2013 14:04:21
Will Adore have the same way of scripting. Meaning the connection between the editor and scripting.

The editor and the scripts will be less connected than AGS because events and stuff dont need to be tied to hotspots, they are simply overridden from the base class.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Thu 11/07/2013 18:02:12
Quote from: dbuske on Thu 11/07/2013 14:04:21

The editor and the scripts will be less connected than AGS because events and stuff dont need to be tied to hotspots, they are simply overridden from the base class.
Maybe you could exchange notes with Clarvalon about it?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Knox

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Thu 11/07/2013 18:02:12
(But i am also a Pumpkins fan and that is my favourite pumpkins album :))

Aaaaaaaaaand the night mare rides on! hehe  8-)

--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Secret Fawful

No, damn it, Monkey! NO! It's an abomination! Child's poison! My Little Pony, more like my little Glue goldmine. Ship em to the factory, I say!

monkey0506

I'll be the first to use Calin's modern engine. I'll use it to make a MLP:FiM MMORPG/FPS/RTS action adventure side-scrolling platformer, because I Love and Adore ponies. Also, the first puzzle will be to make love to a door because you can't find a key. It will be 3D at 4K resolution, because anything less than that wouldn't be modern. It will be released exclusively on Android, iOS, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, HTML 5, PS Vita, Nintendo 3DS, Windows 8, Windows Phone, Linux, Mac OS, Ouya, and Sega Dreamcast. I will not support any non-modern systems.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it will be coded entirely in Lua, the only modern scripting language, which means the game will be available for sale the day after the first public release of Adore. That will give me time to include all the necessary bonus content and implement the day one DLC features.

Cloppers will enjoy the broad range of intricately intertwined love interests for the protagonist, including mare-on-mare, anthro, and even EG. No stallion love interests though, because that would cross some serious lines.

Secret Fawful

Monkey, it sounds to me like you're making fun of Calin's unexpected use of the Lua programming language in his brand-new engine that he built personally.
I don't think that's very nice or funny at all. This is nothing to laugh about. Lua is a fabulous language, highly endorsed in these quotes by famed designers.

Lua is good. I can't get sexually excited unless I'm coding in Lua. - Calin Leafshade
Well, I personally agree with this concept and it's a concept that I can get behind, and generally I can agree with it mostly. - Dave Gilbert
Blaurgh what!? Ow my head. And why am I covered in beans!? - Mark Lovegrove
Can you eat it? No? Then get it away from me. - Tim Schafer

I don't appreciate your terrible attempt at trolling. Not only is Lua the perfect choice for this, but it's absolutely amazing, and cancels out many of AGS's nagging problems. I guess you could say that it's-

Edit: Honestly, I doubt a person like you can never know the MAGIC of FRIENDSHIP when you hound people this way.

monkey0506

I couldn't troll if I tried. I'm a brony through and through, the magic of my friendship will always shine true. When my totally modern game is an instant multimillion dollar success, you will all realize that bronies never say die.

Armageddon

Okay that's enough. Let's all keep thanking Calin for doing what we all wanted to do.

And if this has low res support and it isn't too hard to strip out particles and shaders then I certainly will be one of the first to use it. :D

Secret Fawful

That's silly, Monkey. My Little Pony could never be a multi-million dollar success.

miguel

Let's have a Engine Battle! Calin VS Monkey!
Monkey, start designing your engine right now! We could have something like ADORE VS ADORE_ONLY_GOD!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

dbuske

Modern computers have gigs of memory. Use it in Adore.  Have a good caching scheme.
Pre-loading rooms and characters.
Make the scripting easier. Use ags script, but update. Allow the scripting to be
done through the editor.
Allow characters to be made just like ags does it. No 3D mode.
Don't be sucked into going the 3d way of doing things.
Ags's charm is the easy startup learning.
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

selmiak

Quote from: dbuske on Tue 24/09/2013 20:04:00
Make the scripting easier. Use ags script, but update.

...and get rid of that slow and overcomplicated LUA plz, kthxbye :=

Armageddon

This isn't AGS dbuske, a lot of what you described it pretty outdated. And why would Calin go with 3D??? Making characters in AGS is one of the worst things I've done, importing all those frames that are stored as numbers, making his settings match perfectly with all the other characters before. Lua is a pretty great language and much more powerful than AGS script. I'm guess this will be almost entirely script based to start with and not much of an editor. Please update us Calin.

Grim

I'd learn LUA for this.

Sounds great, and I totally support all points Baron has mentioned earlier- rotation being one of my main pains in the butt since you could do so much with it...

Eagerly awaiting more news on this!;)

EDIT: And for the record, I don't think there's anything funny about trying to make a modern adventure game engine. As much as I love AGS, I find its limitations very frustrating and often wish it was... well, more modern;) Also, another Pumpkins' fan here!;)

TheBitPriest

This is a great idea.   I wanted to play with AGS so much that I even switched from Linux to do it!  That was a huge loss. . . :P 

AGS is great, but it's a bit frustrating at first for those who are used to more robust debuggers, automated testing, and automated resource compilation apart from the GUI.  I haven't been around long enough to "feel qualified" to put a Best Practices page together, but AGS could really use one.  Many of the features mentioned in this thread are available with AGS, as some are quick to point out, but you have to mine the forums to find them once you realize the problem with the "standard way" of implementing the games (I'm thinking about non-blocking speech, "got there" style walking, BASS interface, and so on). 

It's worth it.  AGS rocks, and so does this community. :=  But one day . . .   

Calin Leafshade

Hello!

A lot is happening on the Adore front in a rather circumspect way.

I can't reveal too much but the technologies in Adore are currently being adapted into an engine that will power a game by the team that gave us one of AGS's most successful releases of the past few years.

After the project is officially announced I will go into more detail on the specifics of the engine.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Sat 28/09/2013 17:41:11
Hello!

A lot is happening on the Adore front in a rather circumspect way.

I can't reveal too much but the technologies in Adore are currently being adapted into an engine that will power a game by the team that gave us one of AGS's most successful releases of the past few years.

After the project is officially announced I will go into more detail on the specifics of the engine.

Is the ADORE going to be still made available at all?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Calin Leafshade

Yea, almost certainly.

It will probably just take a bit longer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk