Jim Walls launching Kickstarter spiritual succesor to Police Quest

Started by Gribbler, Thu 18/07/2013 11:05:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Gribbler

I don't know if this was posted. I assume it wasn't cause it's started yesterday. Anyway, what do you guys think? It looks more like a Cop Simulator to me than actual adventure game.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/precinctgame/precinct

Secret Fawful

Vince Twelve

Man, I hope he gets $800k so we can get some Badonk.  I already don't get the concept of stretch goals, but these are ridiculous.  "At this level, we'll make the game more better.  And at THIS level, we'll make it even betterer."

ThreeOhFour

No more ridiculous than his claims of "The latest in 3D gaming technology."

I don't mind indie looking stuff, but such a statement is really a bit silly.

Secret Fawful

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Thu 18/07/2013 14:22:22

They made the same statement back in the AGI days of Sierra, though.

ThreeOhFour

Yes, I've seen such things. I wonder how many potential backers will be receptive to such throwaway rhetoric, though. After the Double Fine dealio, I can see more kickstarter members looking more carefully for frank, transparent pitches.

Or maybe not. Who can really say?

Secret Fawful

It's always been a stupid statement, but back in the day, it was more convincing. But with all the throwbacks to the "glory days", I'm not entirely convinced it wasn't a throwback to their old taglines.

The project will probably only end up mildly successful, but I admit I'm surprised at how well it's done so far blah blah Fawful the broken record.

Gribbler

Talking about bold statements, remember this on one of Police Quest's box back cover: "So realistic actual policemen use it as a training tool" ? :)

AGA

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Thu 18/07/2013 14:22:22

Little do you know, if funded Precinct will be the first game to be built on the as yet unannounced Unreal Engine 4.5.

ThreeOhFour

Babar

Well, the original KQ DID have it new enough so that "the latest in 3D gameplay!" (or whatever such thing they said) was true. You could move left right, back, forward, diagonally and could go up and down :D.

I'm not seeing any mention here of using the latest in 3D technology, though. Did I miss it somewhere? Just that they'll have "real-time 3D environments and gameplay deliver significant realism", which is vague enough not to promise too much.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

ThreeOhFour

Did you watch the pitch video? Because when I watched it, Jim Walls says it with: his voice.

Secret Fawful

Also keep in mind the footage shown was test 3D footage. When he said the latest in kill your cat and bury the body behind the dumpster so the inheritance is yours.....whoa what happened I blacked out for a second.....he might be referring to what they'll actually make the game itself in...with the funds.....from Kickstarter: Quest For Money.

ThreeOhFour

Yes, but "the latest in 3D gaming technology" with $500,000!  :=

I am not saying this is a dumb game and that people shouldn't back it. I am saying Jim Walls is a big silly for saying obviously silly things with his mouth.

(unless they took that out of the video)

Ali

Surely to most sierra fans "the latest in 3D gaming technology" = "it's 3D".

Secret Fawful

Babar

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Thu 18/07/2013 15:07:54
Did you watch the pitch video? Because when I watched it, Jim Walls says it with: his voice.
Hahah...I actually got bored when they hadn't finished introducing themselves almost halfway in, and skipped to the text. I see it now!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Radiant

Okay, so is there anyone who worked for Sierra or LucasArts who has ''not'' done a kickstarter project for their favorite series recently? What's next, Infocom?

ThreeOhFour

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk