Background Blitz - July 31 to Aug 15 - Underwater

Started by gameboy, Wed 31/07/2013 18:06:02

Previous topic - Next topic

gameboy

Hello and welcome to yet another installment of the Background Blitz! This time it's rather deep.

Today's topic is...

Your task is to create a background which is located underwater. Will it feature exotic wildlife, a shipwreck, a futuristic city or a pineapple? Anything is allowed, so it's time to get creative. The wetter the better!

Other than being under water and being usable in an AGS game, there are no restrictions. The deadline is August 15th.

Have fun! :)

jwalt

Creatures of land and sea, air and water.

Rendered in Bryce 7. The figures are Genesis figures from DAZ Studio, and I used a hair mesh from MakeHuman on the Mermaid. The rest I modeled in either sPatch or Hexagon. My first attempt at clothing, including her fin.

Edit:

I got the notion to replace the jpg image with a png image. I also tried to fix a couple of things I noticed along the way with my image: his butt sticking out of the shorts, a problem with the shirt texture, and an issue with the refraction setting on the glass that was mirroring the mermaid in the upper right of the image. I also changed one of the lights a little. Here is my revision:

I'm noob enough that I don't know whether it's poor form to revise an entry, so I apologize if it is. I did need to change to the png file, however.

UnLady

Okay, here it goes, here's my entry. My very first, yay! (Would you believe I suffer from a sort of stage fright at this point? Ridiculous, I know...)

Now, a bit of background (pun intended). This could be the first of a set of rooms, in which the main character descends from the surface, where the main action is taking place, for a kind of Monkey Island style (meaning walking, not swimming) underwater mission, perhaps in one of those very old and heavy diving suits. Of course the sub in the picture has a bit of story, too, let me know if you want to read more about that.

Cheerio, and hope you like it!

Edit: I realize I am suddenly not sure about the image size. I tried it in AGS and it looked like it works, but as I am a total newb, I might be missing something fundamental. Please advise if wrong size/format or colors, I will try to fix it. Thanks.
I think, therefore I am, I think.

gameboy

Great job jwalt and UnLady! Two sweet entries of different styles.

There's still a few days left, people. Can't wait to see more!

Quote from: jwalt on Sun 04/08/2013 14:40:48
I'm noob enough that I don't know whether it's poor form to revise an entry, so I apologize if it is. I did need to change to the png file, however.

Sure, participants are allowed to revise their entries if they feel so. There's nothing of poor form in that.

Quote from: UnLady on Mon 12/08/2013 17:09:54
Edit: I realize I am suddenly not sure about the image size. I tried it in AGS and it looked like it works, but as I am a total newb, I might be missing something fundamental. Please advise if wrong size/format or colors, I will try to fix it. Thanks.

Don't worry about that, your background totally complies with the rules. Also, welcome to the Blitz! :)

"being usable in an AGS game" is kind of a pointless rule anyway, since I can't think of a way a background can't be used in an AGS game.

TGames

here's my entry

I'd say this is the first good looking background I've ever done

gameboy

Nice one, TGames. We have a third Entry!

We basically have one day left (even though for me technically it's still tuesday night, as I haven't gone to bed yet. So you can add your BG's tomorrow and day after tomorrow). If anybody needs a small extension, it just may be possible if you ask nicely. :)

arj0n

gameboy

Hey guys! Sorry about the delay, have been busy for a week or so.

Since there were only three entries and we're already way over time, there's going to be no voting this time. As the host, I'll declare the winner.

After some thought, the winner is...

UnLady! Congratulations!

Thanks everyone for entering and see you next time.

jwalt

Congrats, UnLady. An interesting image that draws me into your game world. Well done! You too, TGames.

UnLady

Thanks, Jwalt! I am glad you liked it. It gives me a much needed confidence boost to continue drawing, both for future blitzes and my own game project(s).

I also liked your entry quite a lot. It has an eerie, melancholy atmosphere. Makes you wonder what's going on in there, what is the story.
I think, therefore I am, I think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk