Alum - greenlit and progress

Started by bangerang101, Tue 13/08/2013 14:58:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

I didn't even realize you could use keyboard for the arcade section!- used mouse from the start and couldn't do it, even on an easy mode. I think after 3 times it should go into easy mode, and after 5 ask player if they want to skip it. That way everyone's happy;) It's hard to judge difficulty of these things and it's clear on this forum people have struggled;)

Kiira

Great plot, the Vague idea is very interesting. Puzzles were ok, but I feel the need to say I hated the arcade part. Probably it's just me, but I couldn't get done with it even when I had the chance to lower its difficulty. I love adventure games, I love solving puzzles and arcade games have nothing to do with the AG world. It all turned out to be frustrating.

Monsieur OUXX

I used the keyboard for the arcade (unlike some, I didn't notice I could use the mouse). It's made difficult by the fact that the collision boxes are awful, so you end up hitting randomly the sides of the "road" -- which makes the character stop unexpectedly, and before you realize, he dies under a bomb. That's extremely frustrating.

I think that could be very easily solved by enlarging the walking areas a bit.

Stupot

I also wasn't a massive fan of the arcade bit at first.  I struggled for about 10-12 attempts until I realised that the bombs all fell in the same 5 places.  But once I realised this it only took another handful of attempts to get it right.

Maybe for an alternative solution, if the player has more than, say, five or seven attempts and then leaves the arcade, when he comes back in there could be three tokens hanging out of the machine as if someone else has played it in the meantime and forgotten the tokens.

bangerang101

Yeah, I think it's safe to say that we will be changing something about the arcade sequence to make it either easier, smoother, or skip-able. Thanks for the great suggestions, guys. EDIT: We also now have a writer going over the dialogue, and making mechanical and/or stylistic changes to the script, as we go. What a blessing!
- Luke

Frodo

Just played the demo, and LOVED it!  :grin:

Love the story, with the Vague illness, and Alum trying to get the cure.  And the graphic style is just how I used to play back in the day.  Love it! 

Spoiler
The 2 Lurid attacks really made me jump lol  :cheesy:
[close]

There's a few typos, as other people have said, so please please get a proofreader.  :grin:

m0ds

Really nice atmosphere in the demo, and all the attention to detail! I haven't completed the demo yet but have enjoyed and been intrigued by the goings-on so far :)

Janos Biro

Just completed the Demo. Beautiful game. Loved the music and the pace.

Spoiler
Those Lurid attacks really made me jump too. And I saw one typo of note: "geuss".
[close]
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

bangerang101

I just updated the first post in our thread w/ progress and links to a new video and our greenlight page, rather than making a new post. Check it out!
- Luke

Adeel

I'm on Steam and I will definitely vote for it in Green Light; because the game deserves it. Good luck! :)

Frodo

bangerang101

Yes! Please vote on GOG.com... We want to have it available to as many people as possible. I submitted Alum to GOG a few days ago. Thanks for the support guys!
- Luke

bangerang101

Quick update and exclusive screens bump! Check the first page for progress, ect. 
- Luke

ThreeOhFour

Those new screenshots look excellent, best wishes for finishing your game up! :smiley:

Jay Tholen

Guys, I am super pumped. :-D I feel spiritually linked to your project since we ran our Kickstarters at roughly the same time and both failed the first time around. Also both of our games have vague theological metaphor stuff. :wink:

Monsieur OUXX

bangerang101

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I do hope it does well. Right now, I'm real excited about the overall quality of the music, sound, and voice-acting... and how it's all sitting in the game. Seems to really pull the experience together when you add the right touch of sounds and music. I think the mix of the organic music elements (classical guitar, kalimba, shaker, ect.), with the  electronic stuff, really sets the music apart.

I feel the same connection with Dropsy, Jay. I love following your updates on Dropsy and all the behind-the-scenes stuff. Really excited for you and our buddy, Dropsy. :grin:. Can't wait to play it!
- Luke

bangerang101

Quick update: We will be releasing the game on May 15, 2015. Here is the "release reveal" video we posted on our kickstarter page, if you're interested in more info about the release date.

We will also be releasing a brand new trailer about a week or so prior to the release of the game.

...So stay tuned for the release of Alum, and tell anyone you know who might be interested in the game about it. We are not releasing the game under a publisher, therefore we need help to get exposure and make the game a success so we can continue to make awesome, high quality P&C games. If you're a press member for a video game site, or you run a website/blog, and you think Alum would be a good candidate for review, please shoot us an email ( @ crashablestudios@gmail.com ) and let us know.

Thanks, AGS community!

- Luke
- Luke

Thegolddiger

The main character is a child. Am I right?
It's gold gold  gold is all I want

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk