Summer Woes - MAGS August 2013 Winner

Started by Adeel, Thu 29/08/2013 23:23:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Adeel

UPDATE: The game has been fixed and uploaded. All the possible bugs were killed. The game no longer crashes and is fully playable now. Sorry for any inconvenience, I would've caused you. For more information, please read this thread.

Hello Everyone. How are you? I hope that all of you are fine and happy!

Today, Oldschool_Wolf and I proudly present to you:

Summer Woes

It's the hottest summer. This summer's so hot, in fact, that it has broken all the previous records. Hot Summer brings some woes with it. Eric - The Protagonist, i.e, you are also facing some problems. But will you be able to solve them? Will you able to get what you want?

First of all, sorry for just one screenshot. This short game consists of 3 rooms only and we can't post more screenshots because we're afraid that would spoil your game experience.

Summer Woes is a MAGS August 2013 Entry. This month's theme is Heat. This game is developed by Adeel Sohail Ahmed (Me - Cool, eh? :D) and Oldschool_Wolf. Since this game is created within a month and I'm not a not coding guru, therefore there's a possibility that you may encounter a bug or two. In the unlikely case of a bug (since we've tested it throughly), please PM me or Oldschool_Wolf and we'll sort it out. You'll get credits too.

Game Instructions:
All Instructions are provided in the manual.
Please read the Read Me.pdf or if you can't view .pdf files due to some reason, please read: Read Me.txt.

Features:

• Cheeky Narratives
  • Easy-to-use Interface
  • Three Music Tracks
  • References
  • ... and meet Al Lowe
System Requirements:
Minimum:
450 MHz Processor
8 MB Free Space
Compatible Sound Card
DirectX 5
Windows ME
Recommended:
Cheer up! Your PC comes in the category of Recommended! ;-D

So, what are you waiting for? DOWNLOAD and play the game right away!

Please note that the mention of viruses in the MAGS Thread was a mere joke. The game is virus-free.

This is the MAGS version of this game. We'll release the Deluxe Version in near future. So, stay tuned. :)

If you've questions of any sort, please feel free to ask.

If you liked our game, please vote for us because each vote counts.

======

Releases his first game unofficially and the game isn't broken.
Releases his second game officially and game is broken.
Way to go, Adeel. :~(

Eric

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Thu 29/08/2013 23:23:24Eric - The Protagonist, i.e, you are also facing some problems?

I had to re-read this several times before I realized the character's name was Eric! Well, you've already sold me on it. Downloading to play this weekend!

Adeel

Quote from: Eric on Thu 29/08/2013 23:57:11
I had to re-read this several times before I realized the character's name was Eric! Well, you've already sold me on it. Downloading to play this weekend!

I never thought about that (laugh)! Thank you for downloading the game. I'll be waiting for your review/criticism. :)

EDIT: You also pointed out my mistake indirectly ;-D. Fixed it.

DBoyWheeler

I think I shall give this game a go!

Adeel

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 30/08/2013 01:19:12
I think I shall give this game a go!

Thanks for the interest, DBoyWheeler. I'll be waiting for your review/criticism.

DBoyWheeler

Yep, I got as far as helping the hero's mom with the dish.  But when I went to talk to her again, the game crashed.

That's another thing.  The player has to go through dialogues twice.  For instance, after giving the book to the mom, she mentions it again, until you talk to her again, and she gives the recipe.  Might want to check the variables to make sure the dialogues aren't repeated.

Adeel

That shouldn't be happening. I'll look into it tomorrow (have to sleep, for now). Meanwhile, will you please try not talking to her? Please do tell me, if the game works this way.

EDIT: Please PM the Error Message. That'll help me rectify the bug more easily. The dialogs indeed require some tuning. I'll see what I can do.

Shadow1000

I found this game to be unplayable in its current state. When you perform tasks, the game does not seem to know that you have completed the task. You can get the same item from the same place an unlimited number of times. I gave all 3 items to mother and she keeps asking for them. Once I ate the food and spoke to mother again, the game crashed.

I think this game needs some testing and fine tuning before it's ready to be played.

Good luck

SHADOW

Adeel

Thank you for the interest and input, Shadow1000. Fixing in process. :)

CaptainD

Adeel

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 30/08/2013 10:55:17
Congrats on the release Adeel! ;-D
Thank you Captain :)! I hope that you like our short but (hopefully) fun game.

UPDATE:

The bugs pointed out by DBoyWheeler and Shadow1000 have been eliminated. I also included a word in the dialogs which I had missed previously. Everything is fine and working now. I personally found some bugs too and killed them. This time, I've really throughly tested the game several times and its working fine.

As promised, I've given credits to our "Bug Identifiers". Shadow1000 and DBoyWheeler: Please check out your profile. :)

Previously, the game had some bugs which are now eliminated. Please download the updated patch from the mirror link or from HERE. You'll download an archive. Extract it to your game directory. If you had saved your game previously, please DELETE it as it'll not work with this patch.

Due to some reasons, we're unable to update Game Jolt link but rest assured, it'll be updated soon. Sorry for any inconvenience, this would've caused you.

Fixed. :)

Why didn't you test it throughly? - You might be wondering.

That's because we both (Oldschool_Wolf and I) were busy with our real lives and we were afraid that we wouldn't be able to complete it within deadline. That's why we couldn't test it throughly.

I made myself a fool and went on to publish the game. I apologize for that.

Why don't you update the game on GJ profile and give me ONE link only?

I'm afraid that it's not possible at the moment. My partner, Oldschool_Wolf, who had uploaded the game in his GJ profile is enjoying a family trip. He neither can be contacted nor I want to disturb him. But rest assured, I'll contact him with new files once he comes back.

I apologize once again and ask all of our players to download the patch.

I hope that you'll enjoy our game.

Not possible at the moment, I'm afraid.

Retro Wolf

I didn't have time to test the final build due to going away. Had I known it to be so unplayable, I would not have hosted the file. I've removed the download from the GJ page, but you can still download it through the AGS database. "We are not coding gurus"? It was your code Adeel...

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Fri 30/08/2013 13:32:21
The bugs pointed out by DBoyWheeler and Shadow1000 have been eliminated. I also included a word in the dialogs which I had missed previously. Everything is fine and working now. I personally found some bugs too and killed them. This time, I've really throughly tested the game several times and its working fine.

As promised, I've given credits to our "Bug Identifiers". Shadow1000 and DBoyWheeler: Please check out your profile. :)

Thanks for the street cred, dude!  When I get a chance, I'll play the new, improved version.  Also, I look forward to the start of the next MAGS (Sept. 2013), because I have developed an interest in partaking in that.  Just a side note on this, but worth stating.

Anyway, here's hoping more people play this game.

Adeel

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Fri 30/08/2013 18:30:19
I didn't have time to test the final build due to going away. Had I known it to be so unplayable, I would not have hosted the file. [...]

I'm literally shocked at this too (laugh)! My OROW game (which was my first game to be precise) was more stable than this game. I set a strange record, my first game wasn't broken and this, my second game, was so much broken that no one will believe that this was my second game. (laugh) :-[

The lesson I learn the hard way is: Never quickly code your game especially while staying awake late at night.

But here's a tiny reason that why I coded faster: It was because I were much busy and finding it hard to keep up with the game. That's why one of the main story point of this game was ditched (will be included in Deluxe Version along with new story points) for the sake of releasing it within a deadline.

Quote from: Oldschool_Wolf on Fri 30/08/2013 18:30:19
[...]"We are not coding gurus"? It was your code Adeel...

Blast! Fixed it. :)

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Fri 30/08/2013 21:18:40
Thanks for the street cred, dude!  When I get a chance, I'll play the new, improved version.  Also, I look forward to the start of the next MAGS (Sept. 2013), because I have developed an interest in partaking in that.  Just a side note on this, but worth stating. [...]

Cool! Waiting for your (upcoming MAGS) game. :)

To the people who download the broken game and were secretly wishing me an undesirable death:
Please download and play the game.
The game has been updated and it working fine now. Please don't kill me yet. I want to make (not so broken) games.

On a serious note, comments (even if they're harsh) are more than welcome. I'll be waiting for them. :)

Tremulas

Well done ! Will download and comment right away !

Khris

Played through it and it was ok, nothing special though. The game progress mechanics are still slightly awkward, but the bugs seem to be fixed.
The authors fixation with genitalia and sexual stuff was a bit off-putting.

lakerz

I've tried downloading several times from the above link in the game page and then unzipping using 7zip, and I get the following error message:

'Unsupported compression methos for <file name>' where it lists each file name contained in the zip.  It creates the directory, but all the files are 0kb in size so something is wrong.  Maybe it is 7zip that is at fault?  I don't know, I've used it thousands of times to unzip all files successfully.  Anybody else having this problem?

Adeel

Thanks for your interest and for playing our game, Khris. :)

Quote from: Khris on Sat 31/08/2013 13:22:13
Played through it and it was ok, nothing special though. The game progress mechanics are still slightly awkward, but the bugs seem to be fixed. [...]

The game progress mechanic are still slightly awkward because of the way I went for dialogs this time. It wasn't possible for me to re-write the whole mechanism in a different way within the deadline but since deadline has passed now. I'll be working on it.

Quote from: Khris on Sat 31/08/2013 13:22:13
[...] The authors fixation with genitalia and sexual stuff was a bit off-putting.

I'm sure that you're referring to the scene where:
Spoiler
Mother tells our hero to go and play (laugh).
[close]
It wasn't my line but I decided to keep it. Rest assured, we'll review each and every line during the development of Deluxe Version. I'm sure that you'll enjoy the Deluxe Version (to some extent, at least) :).

@lakerz:
I created the archive using 7-zip. I admit that I used different compression algorithm for zipping it instead of using the commonly used one. But the archive works fine, AFAIK. Which version of 7-zip are you using, btw?

Retro Wolf

You're right Adeel, that wasn't you're line. How about all the masturbation jokes YOU put in there!?
About 5% of what is said in the game is mine.
I'm just the artist who gave a little extra.

lakerz

You are correct Adeel, it was my version of 7zip that was the issue here.  Sorry for the false alarm.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk