Sepulchre

Started by Lewis, Mon 02/09/2013 08:53:53

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximumJohnny

Could just be localisation then, but you're right; if there's one thing all Scots share it's using 'c*nt' as if it means 'person'. Perhaps it would've been a better fit :P

Great to see people are enjoying the game!

Mon the Scots :D

selmiak

Now that's a cool game with a great atmosphere and some smaller bugs that could have been avoided.

Obko

It surprizes me how so few people have tried to discuss the hidden meaning of this game, especially considering they have recognized there is a hidden meaning and have an opinion about it, only they won't reveal what that is.

Well, this is what I think happened:

Spoiler
The protagonist is a modern person, and the train is from Victorian times. It has a lot of cadavers in it, which the protagonist perceives as large bags. It is buried under ground, which is implied to have happened quite a while ago; probably when the train weren't buried. The guy said the train's destination was some kind of island, but I don't think that is literally the case, since the ghosts seems to be unfamiliar with that place. I think that is the place they intended to move the train before it was buried again. The protagonist is some kind of archeologist or paleontologist who was called to examine the buried train, but was caved himself. When he woke up, his mind created a fabrication that he was on a train to... the train and that it was still moving; because he really didn't need to panic and use up all the oxygen. His mind replaced the bodies, either with a bag or a "ghost". They are all probably an invention of his mind, but I still think there is some actual "ghostness" to them.
There is probably more, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

I soiled my trousers every time a monster didn't jump out of a closet and shout "boo"
[close]

And that's what I think.
The game was great. I'll bill you for the trousers.

Anian

Atmosphere and art is nice, voice quality was unusual (nothing wrong with it specifically, but just seemed "off").
Story was a bit too vague and script was...

Spoiler
the "sorry" in the end was just out of nowhere, what's with the photos, the people know the player in one sentence, but in the next sentence they don't, am I suppose to read the mentioned book to understand any of this?!

The only part I got was train in dirt and train underground, and I guess he was coughing because he was suffocating, but why were the windows shut, why is it falling apart now and one of the biggest things - unless it was a tunnel collapse, how does a train end up underground?

There just seemed to be a lack of payoff from the mystery and horror in the end, as Calin mentioned, just kind of reminded me again that I didn't get what was going on.
[close]
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Obko on Sat 21/09/2013 09:22:24
It surprizes me how so few people have tried to discuss the hidden meaning of this game, especially considering they have recognized there is a hidden meaning and have an opinion about it, only they won't reveal what that is.

I kinda suspect those people sort of telling something ;).

Spoiler

[close]

EDIT: updated.

selmiak

So the ticket inspector is some kind of charon bringing you over the styx into hades. If you don't have a ticket you pay him, just like you need coins to cross the styx.

nuverian

Looking very nice, will have to play it :-) Good job

TheBitPriest

What a great little game!  I think the fact that we're all talking about it is a testimony to its quality.  I liked the atmosphere, the look, and the dramatic timing.  At one point, I asked the children to leave, because I was sure that the next part would be too scary.  :)

It's a little buggy.  It's hard to catch them all.  I think Crimson Wizard did a fine job of listing them, but I don't remember him listing...

Spoiler

It looks like the conductor's bag has the background painted around the object's sprite.  When you walk behind it, you walk behind the immediate background.
[close]

miguel

Just finished this game, and I enjoyed it mostly because of the cool setting and ambiance. It kept me going until I knew what the hell was going on that train!
The mood is scary like twilight zone scary and the moving bag gave me the shivers.
Backgrounds art and character art are all high quality and the music was fitting for the genre and slow tempo of the game.
Voice work was a nice asset to the game, it's always cool to have them. I'd say they do the job well.
I could have had more story given to me but after playing it I didn't feel disappointed regarding that aspect.
There's a unsettling feeling along the game that kind of transported to "The Shining" movie and that is something hard to achieve with a minimalistic structure like Sepulchre. Bravo!
The puzzles weren't really puzzles in difficulty but simply a way to "hold" the player from completion and I think this was the only "weak" point of this game.
There are some easily fixed bugs as well that were already mentioned but nothing that really stopped my immersion on the plot.

My overall feeling of the game was pretty good and I wish it could have be longer. Although every minute of it is played with that good uncertainty and thrill. A good short game with high quality production that every one should play.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Mati256

Just finished it. I was not scared and I didn't really get it. :( I mean, I think I understand what is going on, but not why. And of course, some things I just don't understand at all. :-\

Spoiler

The train is buried, but why? If it's not rally a train, why was I imagining I was on a train? Who is the Girl? Are her initials engraved on the flask? Why? Why Victorian dead pictures? Why was I acting like an alcoholic to the bartender? Did I know him? Who is the guy with the box? Why did the conductor said he saw a girl but then he says he didn't? Why the paper dogs? Why did the guy with the box wanted a paper dog?
[close]
My Blog! (En Español)

kicker04

Wow man, great adventure that's Sepulchre, really! I love the atmosphere and even the voices. Very well done. Keep on!

waheela

Kind of late to this thread (as always), but I finally got the chance to play this game. I think I agree with a lot of the other posters here that the story was a little too ambiguous, but the phenomenal mood-building, voice acting, and art really made this game for me. I feel like most horror games these days have really become clichéd, unoriginal, an sadly un-scary. I was watching an LP of a game called "Outlast" recently, and found myself repeatedly rolling my eyes at the lazy uses of gore to "shock" the player into becoming scared. It's so refreshing to play a game that delves into psychological horror more than trying to frighten me with violence and jump scares. The haunting ending left me in a troubled, contemplative state afterwards. I know it's late to say, but wonderful job on the game, guys. I hope we get to see more stuff like this in the future. :)

strazer

Looking to try it, but the download/shop doesn't seem to be working. Anyone have a mirror?

Ilyich

You can download it as a Demo to The Charnel House Trilogy on Steam. Not sure if it's up anywhere else at the moment, though, I'm afraid.

KONEY

So today I officially started posting in the forum here I am with another question :)

Can anyone help me downloading this game? http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1725/ the link from their site doesn't work and they don't answer my emails.

I already reported the broken link.

Thanks!

Ilyich

Hi! Welcome to the forums!

This game has been updated and became a part of "The Charnel House Trilogy". You can still play Sepulchre for free by downloading the demo from Steam, or by following this link. :)

KONEY

excellent, thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk