Author Topic: Community "pick of the month"  (Read 25079 times)

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
  • MJL worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!MJL worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
Community "pick of the month"
« on: 13 Sep 2013, 10:59 »
As you know, sometimes we manage to choose and feature a pick of the month, and try and do this monthly. But it's not always possible.

So why not open it up to the community, which game would you choose as pick of the month, and why? If you write the title, link and up to 100 words describing why you would pick said game (what's good about it, why does it deserve your pick etc), we may very well feature it, so that we can keep a new one up each month. As you'll notice there has not been a pick for September yet.

The only rule is: Don't pick your own or your team's game (or one you had direct involvement with)!

When we can't do it, we'll refer to the community pick. So get picking!

Thank you :)

Previous picks: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/picks/
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 11:05 by Mods »

miguel

• Onions? Give me back my onions!
  • miguel worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Community "pick of the month"
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2013, 11:32 »
Is there a list of the games "allowed" in?
Working on a RON game!!!!!

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
  • MJL worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!MJL worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2013, 11:35 »
Hi Miguel - any game in the AGS database qualifies :)

Games that perhaps didn't get much attention or weren't really spotlighted when they were released, though something made them stand out to you perhaps :) Or, if you just want to discuss games that were perhaps under-rated on release or such that's fine. This topic can be used for people to discuss games they would pick and why, even if they don't intend for it to be used on the picks feature of the site ;)
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 11:37 by Mods »

miguel

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2013, 11:41 »
Ah, okay,
I thought that pick of the month was about games made in the month that it refers or recent to that month. And that they would be showcasing AGS capabilities in order to grab new devs.

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2013, 11:47 »
Nope not really, though it has often happened where the release and the pick have happened close together (just the way people play some of the newer games more than the older ones I guess...) So this is basically just a request for contribution to one of the site's actual features, top of the page here - http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/ :) Your chance to be credited for a Pick of the Month! If it's a good one of course ;)
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 11:49 by Mods »

miguel

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2013, 11:51 »
Yes, because it happens frequently I assumed it was that way.

CaptainD

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
  • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2013, 12:32 »
I thought that pick of the month was about games made in the month

Me too!

Will try to find an older under-appreciated title to give some love to.

miguel

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2013, 12:46 »
Captain, if you were thinking about picking one of my games then go ahead!

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2013, 12:58 »
Preferably make a pick without outside influence ;)

miguel

« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2013, 13:04 »
No people that I've worked with...check!
No friends...check!
Got it!

adios

• Cavefish
« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2013, 13:27 »
As you know, sometimes we manage to choose and feature a pick of the month, and try and do this monthly. But it's not always possible. [...]

A question: Was only AGS Rating Panel allowed to choose Pick of the Month, previously?
-

Babar

• Creator, Mutator and Defecator
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2013, 14:00 »
There was a pick of the month long before there was a ratings panel, so I don't think so. Handling of it seemed to pass around a lot even before.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2013, 14:15 »
That's right, single members did it for long periods before, then the ratings panel started adding to it once the functionality of the site switched over to AGA, and now the community can. There's no reason not to, providing people make some half decent picks!! :D

We really need to do a drive for some new panel raters soon too, cos people get busy...

Sunny Penguin

• Boomshakalaka
« Reply #13 on: 13 Sep 2013, 14:21 »
I'll be a panel rater. I'm so impartial I'm not even here. Just a wee figment of your imaginations.

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
« Reply #14 on: 13 Sep 2013, 15:12 »
Well, we'll discuss that in its own thread in due course, so you can not exist there then if you want ;)

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • Boo!
    •  
  • Ponch worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2013, 16:29 »
At last! Oceanspirit Dennis' moment has arrived!

adios

• Cavefish
« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2013, 19:05 »
There was a pick of the month long before there was a ratings panel, so I don't think so. Handling of it seemed to pass around a lot even before.
That's right, single members did it for long periods before, then the ratings panel started adding to it once the functionality of the site switched over to AGA, and now the community can. There's no reason not to, providing people make some half decent picks!! :D [...]

Thanks for the answers, Babar and Mods :).

@Mods: I'll not disappoint you with my pick (or at least I like to pretend so! (laugh))

Ancient Alien is the game which I'm considering to put forward. But then, there are some games which I had started to play and remain to be completed. I'll submit my entry for consideration after completing those games :).

[...] We really need to do a drive for some new panel raters soon too, cos people get busy...

You're right. I've seen many games in the database which were released more than one year ago and still they are not rated by AGS Panel. I also found a special case where a demo was rated for players, won the best demo of year award but it still wasn't rated by the panel. Yes, I'm talking about CaptainD's demo game here.

I would like to join the AGS Ratings Panel as I've quite a free time on my hand, after all, what else you can expect from a college student ;)? Too bad, I joined the forums only 5 months ago :~(.
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 19:06 by Adeel S. Ahmed »
-

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
  • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2013, 19:13 »
Adeel - thanks for the mention mate, but I'm pretty sure demos don't get rated by the panel at all, just full games?

LimpingFish

• Mittens Serf
  • Boink!
  • LimpingFish worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2013, 19:24 »
That's right. No demos get rated.

As to potential panel members, the process usually begins with moderators and existing panelists contacting those members who they feel would be suitable for the job. If you approached, it's because you have proven yourself reliable, level-headed, and a positive contributor to the community.

There is no truth to the rumor that panelists are chosen by competing in inter-species gladiatorial contests...yet. ¬¬

adios

• Cavefish
« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2013, 19:26 »
Adeel - thanks for the mention mate, but I'm pretty sure demos don't get rated by the panel at all, just full games?

To be honest, I were 50-50 about demos being rated. I even checked the Rating Panel Information Thread and there was no mention of Demos not being rated.

I've a feeling that I had read somewhere that demos are not rated by the panel but at the moment, I can't recall where I had read that.

Sorry for that.

Thanks for clarifying guys..! :)
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2013, 19:42 by Adeel S. Ahmed »
-

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2013, 19:51 »
There is no truth to the rumor that panelists are chosen by competing in inter-species gladiatorial contests...yet. ¬¬

You mean it's only humans involved at this stage? 8-)

miguel

« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2013, 01:19 »
You mean it's only humans involved at this stage? 8-)
And to think I always thought they were guys from Kripton, dressed in black, (like the villains on old Super-Man movies) who decided things around here...

Ghost

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Simple plans can work.
  • Ghost worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!Ghost worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2013, 13:44 »
Darn. So I trained that mutated ninja-gecko for naught?

On topic: Nice to see the POTM going to be more active; I'll sure give the old db a good browse.

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2013, 11:35 »
So, just to clarify... we're supposed to nominate our pick of the month and write a short description of it in this thread? ???

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
« Reply #24 on: 17 Sep 2013, 13:44 »
^ Yup. Description of why you like it/what makes it stand out :)

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #25 on: 18 Sep 2013, 16:18 »
Since no-one seems to want to start the ball rolling... (this is completely without coercion from Miguel!!(laugh) - this is the game that I enjoyed most from the recent batch of releases):

My pick for this month is: Ancient Aliens - The Roots of Time

I guess part of the reason I chose this game is because of where it seems to be headed as well as what it is - being the first episode of a series, it's pretty short.  However the aesthetics were wonderful, the puzzles were very well implemented, and the characters / story certainly made me want to see what happens in the next episode.  It's not perfect - the pixel hunting in one location frustrated me a little and the innuendo was unnecessary - but the game as a whole was extremely enjoyable and a very promising set up for what looks set to be an epic sci-fi adventure set on a background of jazz music.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
  • Toffee Trouble in Creamville
  • cat worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!cat worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #26 on: 18 Sep 2013, 16:27 »
Nice one, CaptainD! If you can re-formulate your description as a teaser, I'll set it as Pick of the Month.

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #27 on: 18 Sep 2013, 16:48 »
"Ancient Aliens - The Roots of Time follows the exploits of a jazz musician whose life turns upside down when his father dies.  It's a traumatic event in itself. but when people start showing up and and being intensely interested in the research that his father had sent him, things start to get complicated.  Can the beautiful woman who claims to have been a colleague of his father's be trusted?  Who are the henchmen who are now after him?  Just what is his father's mysterious research project that can apparently change the world anyway?

Beautiful graphics, a moody jazz soundtrack and intelligent puzzles make this an encouraging start to what promises to be a very interesting game series.  There is some unnecessary innuendo and the game is admittedly very short, but it's highly enjoyable and certainly makes you want to find out what's happening in the next episode."

Is that okay Cat?

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
  • cat worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!cat worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #28 on: 18 Sep 2013, 17:04 »
Done! Thanks, CaptainD :)

AGA

• Adventure Game Aficionado
  • Administrator
  • Mittens Deity
  • ¡Qué alí­vio!
    •  
  • AGA worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #29 on: 18 Sep 2013, 17:46 »
Changed it to formally give CaptainD the credit, rather than cat.

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2013, 18:45 »
Thanks - I feel honoured! ;-D

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2013, 20:09 »
Thanks AGA!

miguel

« Reply #32 on: 20 Sep 2013, 00:28 »
Thanks Captain, I'm honoured.

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
« Reply #33 on: 02 Oct 2013, 19:10 »
October has arrived. We can put up another community pick if someone has one :) Remember to include a paragraph of why you think it deserves the pick!

miguel

« Reply #34 on: 07 Oct 2013, 00:02 »
I vote for Sepulchre.
Here's what I think about this game:

Just finished this game, and I enjoyed it mostly because of the cool setting and ambiance. It kept me going until I knew what the hell was going on that train!
The mood is scary like twilight zone scary and the moving bag gave me the shivers.
Backgrounds art and character art are all high quality and the music was fitting for the genre and slow tempo of the game.
Voice work was a nice asset to the game, it's always cool to have them. I'd say they do the job well.
I could have had more story given to me but after playing it I didn't feel disappointed regarding that aspect.
There's a unsettling feeling along the game that kind of transported to "The Shining" movie and that is something hard to achieve with a minimalistic structure like Sepulchre. Bravo!
The puzzles weren't really puzzles in difficulty but simply a way to "hold" the player from completion and I think this was the only "weak" point of this game.
There are some easily fixed bugs as well that were already mentioned but nothing that really stopped my immersion on the plot.

My overall feeling of the game was pretty good and I wish it could have be longer. Although every minute of it is played with that good uncertainty and thrill. A good short game with high quality production that every one should play.

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
« Reply #35 on: 07 Oct 2013, 06:28 »
Thanks Miguel, certainly happy to go with your pick, but perhaps you could write a shorter summary more in the style of the writing for other picks? Just a general overview rather than a breakdown of each element?

miguel

« Reply #36 on: 07 Oct 2013, 11:06 »
You mean like how the AGS Rating Panel commented on my last game?:-D

I'm not that good with words Mods, but I place my vote on Sepulchre anyway.

Andail

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Viscount
  • Cultured man of mystery
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
  • Andail worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #37 on: 07 Oct 2013, 11:41 »
It seems the suggestions so far have been mostly the obvious choices - games that people are likely to download and play anyway. I'd like people to use this opportunity to bring up the hidden gems of the database.

Crimson Wizard

• AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    •  
« Reply #38 on: 07 Oct 2013, 11:48 »
It seems the suggestions so far have been mostly the obvious choices - games that people are likely to download and play anyway. I'd like people to use this opportunity to bring up the hidden gems of the database.
I wanted to suggest "Emily Enough: Imprisoned" for Pick of the month. :)
Played it long ago though, probably it is worth to replay and see if I still like it... ummm... enough (heh).
(But it has a pretty high rating anyway)

Sunny Penguin

• Boomshakalaka
« Reply #39 on: 08 Oct 2013, 20:07 »
I vote for Skumring. It doesn't seem to have much plays (at least on this database), nor does it have a rating yet.

Quote from: About the game
When a beautiful dame in distress enters gumshoe Cooper Chutney's office, asking for help to investigate her husbands infidelity, something didn't seem right. Why would anyone cheat on such beautiful broad, he thought? Little did he know that this seemingly simple case would lead him down a spiral into the darkest depths of Port Horizon.

SeamanNaranja's Skumring is a 1950's Noir point and click adventure set in the sleepless city of Port Horizon. A city on the verge of moral collapse.

Step into the shoes of a PI yearning to prove himself in this slick, contemporary tale of gangsters, greed and goons.

With classic comic book-esque cutscenes, full voice acting, varied jazz/classical soundtrack, intelligent writing and 3+ hours of gameplay, this is certainly a must play for any adventure gamer.

Probably could be written about better, but it's all I got right now ;).
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2013, 20:11 by Sunny Penguin »

AGA

• Administrator
  • Mittens Deity
  • ¡Qué alí­vio!
    •  
« Reply #40 on: 09 Oct 2013, 08:22 »
I vote for Skumring. It doesn't seem to have much plays (at least on this database), nor does it have a rating yet.

Probably could be written about better, but it's all I got right now ;).

Done!

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #41 on: 01 Dec 2013, 23:01 »
So... another month... another pick of the month... who's up for choosing this time?

miguel

« Reply #42 on: 01 Dec 2013, 23:10 »
Time Stone was cool.

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
  • Mandle worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #43 on: 02 Dec 2013, 02:59 »
Time Stone was cool.

I second that! Short but extremely polished and charming!

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • Boo!
    •  
« Reply #44 on: 02 Dec 2013, 05:53 »
I also vote for Barn Runner Time Stone. := Very fun little game.

Ghost

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Simple plans can work.
  • Ghost worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!Ghost worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #45 on: 02 Dec 2013, 06:15 »
+1 for Time Stone!

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #46 on: 02 Dec 2013, 13:25 »
Agreed! If only someone could write a teaser for it... ;)

Sunny Penguin

• Boomshakalaka
« Reply #47 on: 02 Dec 2013, 15:16 »
If you could turn back time, what would you do differently? You are Elle, a young and naive wizard's apprentice on your way for your routine potions lesson. As you arrive to bask in the glory of your teacher's infinite knowledge, the last thing you expect is for your trusty mentor to be overcome and kidnapped by none other than an evil warlock! Worse still, you end up locked up in his house yourself! Well, kind of. By use of your intuition, and with the help of a boisterous dragon, you must find a way to rescue your tutor and discover the mystique of the Time Stone in this modern day throw-back adventure, reminiscent of 90's adventure gaming's heyday. The fate of the world is in your hands...

miguel

« Reply #48 on: 02 Dec 2013, 15:35 »
Ponch,
iconic master pieces more often become cult artwork than something praised by the common folk.

With no benefit whatsoever for me I invite every reader of this thread to try out the Barn Runner series. Why?
Because its creator is a talented cow artist with broad skills from design, artwork and story telling.
If you still wonder why to play the Barn Runner series, then don't forget that the cow creator draws the most perfect boobs ever made in video game history.

kconan

• After⇐---—---⇒Before
« Reply #49 on: 02 Dec 2013, 15:49 »
  Time Stone or Heatwave.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #50 on: 02 Dec 2013, 19:14 »
Done! Thanks for the teaser, Sunny Penguin

Tenacious Stu

• AGS Baker
  • Scared Square Games
    •  
    •  
  • Tenacious Stu worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!Tenacious Stu worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #51 on: 11 Dec 2013, 18:36 »
Hello!

Just wanted to say THANKS for choosing Time Stone and thanks for the lovely write up Penguin :-D It's an honor to be chosen.

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #52 on: 11 Dec 2013, 19:24 »
We seem to have developed an unwritten rule that the previous month's winner should pick the next PotM!

Sunny Penguin

• Boomshakalaka
« Reply #53 on: 12 Dec 2013, 12:55 »
...thanks for the lovely write up Penguin :-D ...

My pleasure! Definitely deserved pick of the month, really nice charm and plenty of skill executed in Time Stone :). Will you make a larger game including more adventures of the Time Stone? I hope so.

We seem to have developed an unwritten rule that the previous month's winner should pick the next PotM!

Seemed like a bit of a community decision, nah?

bicilotti

« Reply #54 on: 29 Dec 2013, 04:06 »
What will it be for January 2014?
I'd have a proposal, but it is soooo old, from an era where saturated colours were still hip.

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
  • Dualnames worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!Dualnames worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #55 on: 29 Dec 2013, 07:12 »
I'm suggesting Educating Adventures of Girl & Rabbit. If seconded I can write a short teaser for it.
No more military army stuff. I'm alive and back.

bicilotti

« Reply #56 on: 01 Jan 2014, 01:24 »
Any other input? I thought of the Bunker, a quite old, quite enjoyable production. But maybe it's too old?

edit, tentative teaser, just in case:
There's nothing worse than being stuck in a bunker while playing golf, you know? Well, apart from being stuck in the very same bunker when a wizard decides to trap you there forever by miniaturising you! Hermits communities, talking skulls... this heap of sand is full of assorted weirdness! Escaping won't be easy: help Mike and his trusty club beat Manlocke!
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2014, 07:53 by bicilotti »

Babar

• Creator, Mutator and Defecator
    •  
    • I can help with scripting
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #57 on: 01 Jan 2014, 01:38 »
I always thought of Pick of the Month as a sort of showcase of cool games you might've missed when they came out, or that may have slipped through the cracks, so I don't see why The Bunker should be too old to be acceptable.
In the same vein, a pretty short game that I'd suggest: Captain Cringe
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

tzachs

• AGS Baker
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Parking Goat- games that goats like!
    •  
  • tzachs worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #58 on: 01 Jan 2014, 10:25 »
I second Educating Adventures of Girl & Rabbit.
One of the funniest games I've ever played.

miguel

« Reply #59 on: 01 Jan 2014, 10:53 »
While all your proposals would be great to be pick of the month, I too want to travel back in time and resurrect a graphic novel master piece:
Barn Runner 1 - The Armaggedon Eclair.

Well written, great drawings, a sci-fi story reminiscent of R.Scott's cult movie with added tons of humour and twists like a pretzel!

Frodo

• Welcome down... to my Planet Hell!
« Reply #60 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:13 »
While all your proposals would be great to be pick of the month, I too want to travel back in time and resurrect a graphic novel master piece:

Well written, great drawings, a sci-fi story reminiscent of R.Scott's cult movie with added tons of humour and twists like a pretzel!

Seconded!  :grin:

Crimson Wizard

• AGS Project Tracker Admins
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2013, for spearheading the AGS 3.3.0 project
    •  
    •  
« Reply #61 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:23 »

Thirded! :grin:

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • Boo!
    •  
« Reply #62 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:33 »

Thirded! :grin:
Sweet! :cheesy: This may be just the nudge I needed to finally remaster that game. It's ten years old this year, you know. :cool:

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
  • Dualnames worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!Dualnames worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #63 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:49 »
Fourthed. I mean Barn Runner wins all. May I write the teaser for it? It would be of greatest honor.

kconan

• After⇐---—---⇒Before
« Reply #64 on: 01 Jan 2014, 15:50 »
Fifthed on Barn Runner

miguel

« Reply #65 on: 01 Jan 2014, 16:27 »
Please do Dual (write the teaser), as I don't have the skill to honour such a magnificent title.

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
« Reply #66 on: 01 Jan 2014, 17:06 »
Okay, here follows a teaser if whoever is in charge and Ponch of course approves of it.

Initially a parody of Blade Runner, as it progresses it forms into something else entirely. Ponch released a few episodic short games, before releasing Barn Runner: Forever Friday Part 1, showing that the universe was already well-fleshed. Words and sentiments, can't describe the craftsmanship that Ponch will always deny, if ever attributed concerning the story elements resolving around the Barn Runner Universe. As Pythagoras once said "The beginning is half of the whole", and this holds true for the Armageddon Eclair. Sci-fi dystopian neo-noir 80s retro good-cop vs bad-cop boogie dance anti-hero SAGA; or Barn Runner.

Ghost

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Simple plans can work.
« Reply #67 on: 01 Jan 2014, 18:02 »
Fifthed on Barn Runner
Sixed!

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • Boo!
    •  
« Reply #68 on: 01 Jan 2014, 18:04 »
Holy crackers! At this rate I'm going to have to hurry up and upconvert The Armageddon Eclair to run on modern systems. It was made with AGS 2.56d! :shocked:

NickyNyce

• ready...FIRE...aim
  • NickyNyce worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #69 on: 05 Apr 2014, 19:00 »
Any reason why there hasn't been a new game of the month?

AGA

• Administrator
  • Mittens Deity
  • ¡Qué alí­vio!
    •  
« Reply #70 on: 05 Apr 2014, 19:49 »
Because it takes time and effort for one to be chosen, and nobody's done it!

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #71 on: 05 Apr 2014, 20:34 »
Yes indeed. I set a new pick of the month now because there were no suggestions in this thread. If you want to see a certain game here as pick of May, please post here and write a nice teaser.

MJL

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Duke
  • Mittens Founder
    •  
« Reply #72 on: 06 Apr 2014, 00:59 »
Don't rely on the welsh, cat is there to help you set community pick of the months, use her! := (wrong) (nod) (laugh)

Mandle

« Reply #73 on: 06 Apr 2014, 04:06 »
Can Demos be nominated?

If so: I nominate "Tales"!

You can check out the promo HERE!:)

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #74 on: 02 May 2014, 20:00 »
A new month!

I'm not too happy about demos being chosen, but we also had them before, I guess. Maybe pick "Donald Dowell" from the same author instead?

Anyway, if someone writes a nice teaser, I'll set the new pick.

bicilotti

« Reply #75 on: 02 May 2014, 21:36 »
I will once again push the Bunker.

Great, just great. These days a man can't play golf without a wizard miniaturizing him! Thank you Manlocke, now I am stuck in this bunker!
The garish palette of this game will immediately bring you back to the 90s, along with some great humor, a desert to explore, sassy skulls and many other quite talkative but less than cooperative characters.
Help Ronan club his way out of the bunker!

It's an exquisite game, but it's old too; take it not as a proposal, but just as a "filler", in case nobody comes up with anything.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2014, 21:45 by bicilotti »

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
« Reply #76 on: 03 May 2014, 00:05 »
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1481/

The unfolding spider, if not yet appearing in the pick of the month. Willing to write a teaser as well.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #77 on: 04 May 2014, 06:52 »
It's an exquisite game, but it's old too; take it not as a proposal, but just as a "filler", in case nobody comes up with anything.

Thanks, bicilotti! Since noone else posted a teaser, this is now the pick of the month.

Grim

• *Dreamer Of The Day*
  • Grim worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #78 on: 05 May 2014, 15:37 »
Unfolding Spider - one of my favourite games EVER!:)

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #79 on: 05 May 2014, 17:00 »
Yes, it IS a great game - could someone please write a teaser for it? Then I'll put it up for June.

Dualnames

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Pretty Badass
« Reply #80 on: 07 May 2014, 04:46 »
Unfolding Spider - one of my favourite games EVER!:)

There's a great fellow!!!!

Alright, cat, if anyone else doesn't mind I will write one in a few days, perhaps Grim also wants to write one, we share the same love for this, i recall.

Erenan

• Guitar Robot
    • I can help with making music
    •  
    •  
« Reply #81 on: 07 May 2014, 18:43 »

Thanks, bicilotti! Since noone else posted a teaser, this is now the pick of the month.

*dance, dance, dance*

This makes me happy. :)

The Bunker

Mandle

« Reply #82 on: 11 May 2014, 15:58 »
Maybe pick "Donald Dowell" from the same author instead?

I hope this promo will be up for the next selection candidate then:

Donald sat with glazed eyes. He was retired. He rocked in his chair. His wife shouted at him to paint the fence. He rocked. He read his favorite books over and over. His wife shouted at him to do something, anything. Donald rocked. And as he rocked a spark grew under the chair in which he sat. With every rock the spark found kindling in the recesses of his still youthful mind. That kindling grew into a fire which could not be stopped. Donald knew he had to go back to work! But not just any old menial work. The work he had dreamed of since he was a kid! Donald stood up from his rocker. And then at last: HE ROCKED! 

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #83 on: 13 Jun 2014, 14:16 »
Sorry, I completely missed that I still need to set the pick for June.
Thanks Mandle for your teaser!

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #84 on: 13 Jun 2014, 14:23 »
A very worthy pick!  Congrats AprilSkies. ;-D

« Reply #85 on: 13 Jun 2014, 15:03 »
Good choice :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

AprilSkies

• Rottwheelers
    • I can help with animation
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
  • AprilSkies worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!AprilSkies worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #86 on: 13 Jun 2014, 15:53 »
Oh sweet!
That's great!
I'm really happy.
:)
thanks guys and gals!

adios

• Cavefish
« Reply #87 on: 13 Jun 2014, 17:07 »
Congratulations, AprilSkies! ;-D
-

Mandle

« Reply #88 on: 26 Jun 2014, 16:15 »
Sorry, I completely missed that I still need to set the pick for June.
Thanks Mandle for your teaser!

Thanks Cat for including my prose in the Pick Of The Month promo for this more than worthy game...I feel like a part of the community now...

And GRATZ to AprilSkies for an honor well deserved for an amazing game!

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #89 on: 26 Jun 2014, 16:50 »
Thanks for bringing this up again, Mandle, because July is approaching - we need a new pick!

Does anyone know a great game that didn't get the recognition it deserves? If yes, write a short teaser for it and I will put it up as Pick of the Month!

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #90 on: 29 Jun 2014, 19:50 »
*Bump*

We need a new pick soon! Several people want "Unfolding Spider". Does anyone care to write a teaser?

Ponch

• AGS Baker
  • Boo!
    •  
« Reply #91 on: 26 Jul 2014, 05:42 »
Thanks, Cat! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

« Reply #92 on: 01 Aug 2014, 10:44 »
Sheepishly putting forward Mudlarks for August :)

edit: I've just read the rules, can't nominate my own game. Oops! :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mandle

« Reply #93 on: 01 Aug 2014, 12:05 »
Sheepishly putting forward Mudlarks for August :)

edit: I've just read the rules, can't nominate my own game. Oops! :)

Then I'll just do it for you then:

I nominate Mudlarks. It was awesome!

No time now but I will write up a blurb on it tomorrow...

AprilSkies

• Rottwheelers
    •  
    •  
    •  
  • AprilSkies worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!AprilSkies worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
« Reply #94 on: 01 Aug 2014, 13:55 »
Absolutely mudlarks! Count me too for nominating that game.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #95 on: 01 Aug 2014, 14:19 »
Timeout for self-promotion, maybe next month ;)

This month I go for "All pigs deserve to burn in hell".

AprilSkies

• Rottwheelers
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #96 on: 01 Aug 2014, 16:58 »
Also a good choice, it seems good! I definitely have to play it!

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #97 on: 01 Sep 2014, 17:53 »
New month new pick!

AprilSkies

• Rottwheelers
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #98 on: 01 Sep 2014, 18:33 »
I'd like to suggest mudlarks by shaun9991 or Alien Cow Rampage: Orion Needs Your Milk! by Ghost

bicilotti

« Reply #99 on: 01 Sep 2014, 19:05 »
I'd like to suggest mudlarks by shaun9991 or Alien Cow Rampage: Orion Needs Your Milk! by Ghost

Second ACRONYM.

Obligatory blurb:

"Orion needs milk, and it needs it in the next 12 hours! A challenging boardgame, ACRONYM is a testament to AGS versatility. Battle, outwit, charm or use-alien-technology on pesky earthlings, abduct bovines, make it back to spaceship before time is up. Be prepared to restart often: strategy, tactics and a bit of luck are needed to get those precious proteins!"

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #100 on: 01 Sep 2014, 19:15 »
Excellent choice - a very addictive game!

@AprilSkies: If you write a teaser for Mudlarks I'll put it up as PotM for October.

AprilSkies

• Rottwheelers
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #101 on: 01 Sep 2014, 19:27 »
@AprilSkies: If you write a teaser for Mudlarks I'll put it up as PotM for October.

(nod) I'll do. :)

Ghost

• AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Simple plans can work.
« Reply #102 on: 01 Sep 2014, 19:28 »
Thanks a bunch for picking ACR, guys. The Invaders are feeling honoured!  (nod)

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #103 on: 24 Sep 2014, 15:29 »
Quick reminder: Think of picks for October and write a teaser or I will do so myself :P

AprilSkies

• Rottwheelers
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #104 on: 24 Sep 2014, 15:32 »
Here I am with a teaser for Mudlarks, as promised, cat :-)

Mudlarks is a story of friendship, hidden secrets, and ghosts. Two friends are searching for treasures on the banks of the River Thames when they find a mysterious golden locket, containing old photos of a woman and a teenage girl. Days later, one of the friends, Vincent, goes missing - and it's up to you, Winston, to find him. The search will drag Winston into a world of paranormal and historical intrigue in a well written story, with interesting and varied puzzles. This is a full length game which has a unique quirky graphics and animation style, and gives the player the sense of something very strange happening under the surface of normality. Do give it a try!

Sorry for being a bit late :D

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #105 on: 24 Sep 2014, 15:49 »
Thanks!

« Reply #106 on: 26 Sep 2014, 09:32 »
Thank you so much for choosing Mudlarks as pick of the month! This is a massive honour and I'm super proud :)

Thanks again
Shaun

« Reply #107 on: 24 Oct 2014, 17:12 »
There's been a big surge in downloads for Mudlarks since it became the Pick of the Month, thanks for playing!!! :D

If you have played it or finished it, please consider rating it on the AGS game page: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1795/

Would love to see how it is rated by the community

Thanks again,
Shaun

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #108 on: 24 Oct 2014, 18:46 »
Thanks for bringing this up, shaun9991, because we need a new pick soon!

« Reply #109 on: 24 Oct 2014, 22:44 »

miguel

« Reply #110 on: 25 Oct 2014, 01:01 »
A cool game.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #111 on: 02 Nov 2014, 08:42 »
Since there were no valid suggestions for this month (random game name dropping without writing a teaser does not count (wrong)), I picked Red Hot Overdrive.

Edit: I had a quick view at Sepulchre and I will not set a game as pick that requires you to register with name and E-Mail address...
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2014, 08:59 by cat »

bicilotti

« Reply #112 on: 02 Nov 2014, 10:32 »
Since there were no valid suggestions for this month (random game name dropping without writing a teaser does not count (wrong)), I picked Red Hot Overdrive.

Edit: I had a quick view at Sepulchre and I will not set a game as pick that requires you to register with name and E-Mail address...

Nice pick, nice blurb, nice attitude towards users (not even a smiley by Tabby can describe my face when I was asked to enter personal info to download Sepulchre)!

« Reply #113 on: 02 Nov 2014, 10:38 »
fair enough about Sepulchure (I thought it had to be chosen before writing the teaser), certainly an odd download procedure. great choice in Red Hot Overdrive though!

arj0n

• Mittens Vassal
  • why do meteors always land in craters?
  • arj0n worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #114 on: 02 Nov 2014, 11:20 »
great choice in Red Hot Overdrive though!
Amen.

AprilSkies

• Rottwheelers
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #115 on: 02 Nov 2014, 11:32 »
Oooh, thanx so much for picking it!
>^.^<

Tabata

• mouse-fetishist & smiley-maniac
« Reply #116 on: 02 Nov 2014, 15:12 »
... (not even a smiley by Tabby can describe my face when I was asked to enter personal info to download Sepulchre)!
Hey man – give me a chance, will you?

So how about this one   >  >     
… or especially for you it might be more fitting to use ...
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:
this one   >  >       

bicilotti

« Reply #117 on: 02 Nov 2014, 22:48 »
… or especially for you it might be more fitting to use ...
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:
this one   >  >       

^-- I approve! :=

Calypso

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #118 on: 02 Dec 2014, 21:45 »
I just wanted to point out that the latest (December) Pick of the Month game -  Aidas Strange Christmas - can't be downloaded. It was hosted on Game Front, but when trying to download, it says that the file can't be found, and there seem to be no alternative download options. I have already reported it on the game page, but as this title is quite visible right now, I thought I would also post about it here.
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #119 on: 02 Dec 2014, 21:57 »
Thank you so much for the info! Shame on me for not testing the download before posting the game (had it on my disc already).

I updated the page with a link to a games archive page, I hope it is working now?

Calypso

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #120 on: 03 Dec 2014, 00:28 »
Thank you very much, Cat, it works perfectly now. :)
Chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized.

bicilotti

« Reply #121 on: 20 Dec 2014, 08:34 »
I don't know whether there are other games in the backlog, I am writing this
small stub so you can use it when you will see fit.

Sisyphus Reborn

A short game which explores the themes of life, eternity and the meaning
of our actions. An example of what the adventure game medium can achieve without
losing its characteristics, teeming with ideas but not overwhelming the player.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #122 on: 20 Dec 2014, 14:35 »
Thanks, bicilotti! I'll have a look at it and put it up for January.

Edit: Great game, it will be up next month.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2014, 19:36 by cat »

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #123 on: 07 Feb 2015, 20:37 »
A little late, sorry. Since there were no suggestions in the backlog I picked Goat Herd and the Gods for February.

« Reply #124 on: 22 Feb 2015, 04:58 »
The AGS Awards nominations gave me a chance to play some games I hadn't seen before. If there's need for an upcoming community suggestion, I'd like to call out Cale Quest.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #125 on: 02 Mar 2015, 20:39 »
Hi nosehair, if you write a teaser, I can put it up for April.

« Reply #126 on: 15 Apr 2015, 20:48 »
Thanks Cat for putting A Date in the Park up as pick of the month! :) <3

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #127 on: 30 Apr 2015, 12:14 »
Any suggestions for May?

Fitz

• Il antico demone
  • Fitz worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #128 on: 30 Apr 2015, 16:37 »
Visitor 3! Played it, loved it the the most of the Visitor trilogy. Another one that You might want to take a look at is The Knobbly Crook -- I haven't played that one yet, so I can't say anything about it (other than that it has insanely gorgeous graphics!).

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #129 on: 01 May 2015, 13:42 »
Although I want to play both of them I didn't have time to do so, yet.

Anyway, if you write a teaser, I will set the game as PotM.

Fitz

• Il antico demone
« Reply #130 on: 01 May 2015, 16:24 »
"The third installment of the darkly comedic series about Moss -- the universe's most accidentally lucky field agent -- sends him on his most dangerous mission yet. Visitor 3 is bigger, better, funnier -- and scarier. There's lots of green blood, pink goo, black tentacles and other terrifying appendages -- and a head in a jar that's not only quite friendly, but also not at all fazed by its current situation."
« Last Edit: 02 May 2015, 05:53 by Fitz »

Mandle

« Reply #131 on: 01 May 2015, 16:31 »
"The third installment of the darkly comedic series about Moss -- the universe's most accidentally lucky field agent -- sends him on his most dangerous mission yet. Visitor 3 is bigger, better, funnier -- and scarier. There's lots of green blood, pink goo, black tentacles and other terrifying appendages -- and a head in a jar that's not only quite friendly, but also not at all phased by its current situation."

Excellent review of the best AGS game to come out for a long time...

Sorry...I just added a quick fix to your text...But I agree that this should be pick of the month for sure!!!
« Last Edit: 01 May 2015, 16:34 by Mandle »

Fitz

• Il antico demone
« Reply #132 on: 01 May 2015, 20:20 »
Oops, my bad! I've spent most the past 15 hours typing away, so at some point I stopped even watching the screen. Anyway, thanks for fishing it out. Edited my message, too, in case Cat were to copy the original.

AprilSkies

• Rottwheelers
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #133 on: 01 May 2015, 21:08 »
I absolutely second Fitz suggestion!

Mandle

« Reply #134 on: 02 May 2015, 01:09 »
Oops, my bad! I've spent most the past 15 hours typing away, so at some point I stopped even watching the screen. Anyway, thanks for fishing it out. Edited my message, too, in case Cat were to copy the original.

Oops, my bad as well. I missed something: I'm pretty sure it's "fazed" instead of "phased". I'm really feeling like a nitpicker now :-[

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #135 on: 02 May 2015, 07:31 »
Picked!
Thanks for the teaser Fitz, and thanks Mandle for spell-checking.

Mandle

« Reply #136 on: 02 May 2015, 08:01 »
Picked!
Thanks for the teaser Fitz, and thanks Mandle for spell-checking.

No worries mate! I'm just stoked that such an AWESOME game gets the recognition it deserves!

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #137 on: 07 Jun 2015, 21:13 »
We need a new pick!

« Reply #138 on: 09 Jun 2015, 22:20 »
There is only one option for june's pick: Camp 1. An instant classic if there ever was one.

Life at Camp 1, a geological trial drilling site, hasn't been easy in the past . But, somehow, things got even worse. What kind of future will await the four inmates of the camp?

"Camp 1" is an outstanding science fiction game. Every single aspect is excellent. Fantastic visuals, intense atmosphere, clever puzzles, wonderful colours - the limited palette works really well. Anyone who hasn't played this yet, go and do so. You'll love it.

(If you're going to pick this: Asking a natural speaker to have a look at my ramblings might be a good idea .  ;)
Or better: have someone write a bit more about the story. I'm not good with that kind of thing.)

kconan

• After⇐---—---⇒Before
« Reply #139 on: 09 Jun 2015, 22:39 »
There is only one option for june's pick: Camp 1. An instant classic if there ever was one.

I'll second that pick.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #140 on: 10 Jun 2015, 21:11 »
Picked! Thanks Anke :)

« Reply #141 on: 11 Jun 2015, 12:09 »
Thanks for nominating and picking and all the love!
(Updated last night. Not enough changes to replay the game, though.)

Ibispi

•  
    •  
  • Ibispi worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #142 on: 17 Jun 2015, 10:19 »
I would like to vote for Ouroboros: Sacrifice, for pick of the month July. This is the teaser I wrote:

Venture into a snowy, cold world; put your mask on; close your eyes; listen to the wind blowing. Imagine Myst, but with a tint of horror. Now, solve those puzzles already!

Mandle

« Reply #143 on: 22 Sep 2015, 18:44 »
I'm nominating "Jacqueline White; Bad Trouble in the Red Desert" for the pick of the month (for October as I heard from cat) and here is my blurb:
Books are just words, right? Movies are just single frames played really fast, right? AGS games are just a bunch of rooms and objects, characters, and whatever tied together by some code, right?

We all know how each works, especially AGS, but sometimes....and only sometimes in a very long while...somebody manages to combine the words in a book, the frames of a movie, or the structure of AGS in just the right way to create magic...

The magic where the reader/viewer/player starts to forget the interface of words/images/game and makes the jump from their everyday reality into the world that the author has created for them...

This game falls solidly into the category of such magic...

The story, characters, gameplay, mystery, intrigue of this game just grabbed me instantly by the short and curlies and propelled me forwards. There was never a moment when I lost interest in knowing what the story was going to throw my way next...

And the puzzles: OMG BRILLIANT!!! Foreshadowing and logic used perfectly in almost every case!!!

GET IT OR REGRET IT!!!

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #144 on: 22 Sep 2015, 19:07 »
I'm playing Jacqueline right now and I second you completely. Great game.
« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2015, 19:15 by Creamy »

Ibispi

•  
    •  
« Reply #145 on: 05 Jan 2016, 22:42 »
I think that The Unprintable MAGENTA has to be played more than it has been played so far, so I wrote a teaser:

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No. It's a girl that turns things into a purplish-red color! It's a heroic adventure game for you to enjoy, with witty dialogues and unforgettable comic characters and - a lot of hilarious game over screens. So? What are you waiting for? Download it already!"

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #146 on: 06 Jan 2016, 10:08 »
Picked - thanks Ibispi ;-D

« Reply #147 on: 02 Apr 2016, 19:25 »
What a pleasant surprise to see Scenario 5B as the pick of the month. Thanks for the feature!

« Reply #148 on: 08 May 2016, 16:24 »
Just noticed Pendek is pick of the month, thanks Cat! :D

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #149 on: 08 Jul 2016, 13:03 »
I was on vacation and fell behind with the Pick of the Month. Can the community help me out?
Are there any suggestions? Do you know a game that deserves being picked?

If yes, please write a short teaser and post it here!

Haggis

• Cavefish
  • When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
  • Haggis worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #150 on: 08 Jul 2016, 19:59 »
Toffee Trouble in Creamville - a sweet little MAGs game with some exceptional graphics, characters and puzzles. It's a travesty that you can't pick your own game when it's such a delightful little number.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
« Reply #151 on: 08 Jul 2016, 20:04 »
Thanks Haggis, for reading my mind and doing what I was too chicken to do. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

« Reply #152 on: 08 Jul 2016, 23:18 »
Thanks Haggis, for reading my mind and doing what I was too chicken to do. (laugh)

Hehehe you beat me in here...

Out Of Gas: A wonderfully calming and yet upbeat little adventure that begins when your car runs out of gas on the way home. Navigate a charming and bustling little city, that is however not without its own seamy underbelly, in your quest to simply return home. This is a game that should keep a smile on your face with its cheery tone, while at the same time presenting interesting puzzles, some eccentric characters, and a memorable playing experience.

(It was a tough choice between Creamville and Out Of Gas, but I figured Creamville is already getting quite a bit of outside recognition, while Out Of Gas deserves more...And we can just pick Creamville next month...(laugh) )
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2016, 23:24 by Mandle »

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #153 on: 08 Jul 2016, 23:23 »
+1 for Toffee Trouble in Creamville.

Being a dunkin' funride throughout, this coming-of-age story shines with tasty characters and graphics so sweet that you'll be left drooling over your screen. The low difficulty and various puzzles make it perfectly suited for young adventurers to get their teeth into.

(Inspired by comments from Àm and straydogstrut)

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #154 on: 09 Jul 2016, 21:20 »
Thanks guys! (for the nice teasers as well as for picking Toffee)

I set Toffee Trouble for this month as it was suggested by several people and Out of Gas for August (I really enjoyed that game).

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #155 on: 06 Mar 2017, 22:20 »
The AGS awards gave me the opportunity to play games I missed. I'd like to submit Waiting for the loop for the next pick :

Presented in a "choose your own adventure" style, Waiting for the loop features diffrerent outcomes that encourage replayability.
Well-written dialogs supported by spot-on dubbing emphasize the importance of your choices in this striking tale about AI.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #156 on: 07 Mar 2017, 12:52 »
Set for April - thanks, Creamy!

« Reply #157 on: 18 Apr 2017, 08:32 »
Oh my goodness I only just realized Waiting For the Loop was picked- thank you so much!!!!
Unfortunately it seems that the Dropbox link has been broken since mid march due to Dropbox changing some stuff. :/
However, I'm hoping people will check it out now that the link has been fixed!
Thank you again for selecting Loop!
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2017, 08:52 by reismahnic »

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #158 on: 18 Apr 2017, 11:51 »
Thanks for updating the link!

I checked the link when Creamy suggested the game and I set the pick (I can do that in advance, the page switches automatically) but I didn't re-check it later.

Guys, whenever you find a dead link for a PotM, please write here or PM me. The reporting a broken link feature is somewhat broken not monitored.

« Reply #159 on: 19 Apr 2017, 00:51 »
Well, also a learning experience for me, because at the end of the day it's my responsibility to make sure those links work, not anyone else's! ;)
I'm just incredibly grateful it was selected and hope people enjoy playing it.

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #160 on: 02 Jul 2017, 08:17 »
Any recommendations for July?

arj0n

• Mittens Vassal
  • why do meteors always land in craters?
  • arj0n worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #161 on: 02 Jul 2017, 14:29 »
Hi cat, I'd like to vote for:

Title: ARCHEOS

Link: http://gamejolt.com/games/archeos/257293

Description:
In Archeos, a short and beautifull adventure game
made for #AdvJam2017, help archaeology professor
Pangloss and his student Seamus in their exploratory
quest on the now ancient, ruined and abandoned planet
Earth. This game is a mix of a cool story with
beautiful graphics, supplemented with nice music.
Besides that, the player might also learn a thing or
two history wise during this investigative quest.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2017, 14:51 by arj0n »

« Reply #162 on: 02 Jul 2017, 17:16 »
Hi cat, I'd like to vote for:

Title: ARCHEOS

I second that :smiley:

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #163 on: 02 Jul 2017, 17:57 »
Nice game, thanks for the pick!

Ibispi

•  
    •  
« Reply #164 on: 02 Jul 2017, 19:25 »
Thanks Arj0n and Two Tales! :shocked:

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #165 on: 01 Aug 2017, 09:01 »
July has been rich in good games. For August pick, I suggest Terror of the Vampire!

Embark alongside Dr Ego Goodmind on his journey through vaguely Eastern Europe to teach superstitious locals the benefits of modern psychiatry.
With art worthy of the Great Mouse Detective and a story Gelliant Gutfright would bite for, this game is the perfect remedy to your pathological need for proactive inactivity.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2017, 10:10 by Creamy »

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #166 on: 01 Aug 2017, 10:16 »
Ah, I forgot to do the pick - I should make it a habit to set it in advance. I wanted to pick "Hang on" from last MAGS, but you were quicker ;)

Edit: Done.
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2017, 10:22 by cat »

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #167 on: 01 Sep 2017, 11:29 »
I wanted to pick "Hang on" from last MAGS
Good idea. I have a proposition for a description:

When a game called "hang on" features a lonely mountain cabin on its title screen, you know that it won't talk about telephone queues.
Don't worry though, this lighthearted adventure won't involve any woman falling to her death because of a defective harness.

« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2017, 11:35 by Creamy »

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #168 on: 01 Sep 2017, 17:06 »
Thanks! Pick was set :)

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #169 on: 10 Oct 2017, 10:09 »
Oops, it's October already! Does anyone have a recommendation for PotM?

Kumpel

• On the way to break new ground...
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #170 on: 10 Oct 2017, 11:28 »
I would like to vote for Loslems "The House without Windows". It's not perfect but extremely ambitious and the selfmade creepy soundtrack is superb.

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #171 on: 10 Oct 2017, 22:12 »
Not that I contest your idea Kumpel, but I get an error when I try to unzip the file linked in the thread of the game. "Archive is either in unknown format or damaged". There's no AGS page either.
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2017, 22:14 by Creamy »

ClickClickClick

• Don't listen to me.
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #172 on: 10 Oct 2017, 22:27 »
No problem here. Which program do you use to unzip?

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #173 on: 10 Oct 2017, 23:50 »
WinRAR. I've tried several times with both versions (german / english). No way to unzip the 28.7 Mo file :sad:

ClickClickClick

• Don't listen to me.
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #174 on: 11 Oct 2017, 01:23 »
Use 7zip. It's great!™

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #175 on: 11 Oct 2017, 13:42 »
I can only set games as PotM that have a game DB entry.

ClickClickClick

• Don't listen to me.
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #176 on: 11 Oct 2017, 18:38 »
Let's all bug him to make one.

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #177 on: 11 Oct 2017, 20:12 »
Use 7zip. It's great!™
Got it working, thanks.
I'm probably not the only one using WinRAR for .rar files though :P

Since it's already late in October, maybe we can choose another pick in the meantime.

Some good games that I've played recently :
- Fun, Sun and Mishaps.
- Don't worry, I'll bring the beer.
- On leaving the building.
- The Elevator.
- The Execution of Anne Boleyn .
- 10 Ways from Sunday.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2017, 18:39 by Creamy »

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #178 on: 12 Oct 2017, 16:11 »
As always: write a teaser and I'll put it up :)

Sorry that I don't have much time at the moment to do it myself :-[

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #179 on: 12 Oct 2017, 18:39 »
I can write a blurb if necessary but I was waiting for opinions since it's supposed to be a community pick.

"10 Ways From Sunday" added to my list.
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2017, 20:00 by Creamy »

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #180 on: 12 Oct 2017, 21:50 »
Since nobody wrote, I propose On Leaving The Building :

Have you ever wondered what the King was up to in his final years? Probably not since we'd rather remember him as the legendary crooner he once was. In stark contrast, BRANE gives us control of an overweight drug-addicted Elvis about to... about to what exactly?
« Last Edit: 12 Oct 2017, 22:58 by Creamy »

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #181 on: 13 Oct 2017, 08:18 »
Thanks Creamy!

It's called "Community Pick" because anyone from the AGS community can pick a game and write a teaser. There doesn't have to be a community vote on this. That's also why the picker's name is shown together with the pick ;)

Creamy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #182 on: 14 Oct 2017, 14:42 »
Thanks for clarifying.

Quote from: Kumpel
I would like to vote for Loslems "The House without Windows". It's not perfect but extremely ambitious and the selfmade creepy soundtrack is superb.
The game has a page now.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2017, 14:45 by Creamy »

Kumpel

• On the way to break new ground...
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #183 on: 04 Nov 2017, 16:57 »
Let's do it again!

"The House Without Windows", I call you!

teaser text:

Tough girl Ida thought, stepping into the allegedely haunted "House without Windows" is a short trip. Soon she will learn, what a real mind trip it is!
Support her on this funny, weird and intense journey in this tricolor pixel adventure, written, designed and composed by Loslem.
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2017, 16:59 by Kumpel »

cat

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #184 on: 04 Nov 2017, 19:12 »
Thanks!

« Reply #185 on: 05 Nov 2017, 07:53 »
Wow, I feel chuffed :)
Thanks guys. Clearly a motivation to keep going!