Community "pick of the month"

Started by , Fri 13/09/2013 10:59:13

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

As you know, sometimes we manage to choose and feature a pick of the month, and try and do this monthly. But it's not always possible.

So why not open it up to the community, which game would you choose as pick of the month, and why? If you write the title, link and up to 100 words describing why you would pick said game (what's good about it, why does it deserve your pick etc), we may very well feature it, so that we can keep a new one up each month. As you'll notice there has not been a pick for September yet.

The only rule is: Don't pick your own or your team's game (or one you had direct involvement with)!

When we can't do it, we'll refer to the community pick. So get picking!

Thank you :)

Previous picks: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/picks/

miguel

Is there a list of the games "allowed" in?
Working on a RON game!!!!!

m0ds

Hi Miguel - any game in the AGS database qualifies :)

Games that perhaps didn't get much attention or weren't really spotlighted when they were released, though something made them stand out to you perhaps :) Or, if you just want to discuss games that were perhaps under-rated on release or such that's fine. This topic can be used for people to discuss games they would pick and why, even if they don't intend for it to be used on the picks feature of the site ;)

miguel

Ah, okay,
I thought that pick of the month was about games made in the month that it refers or recent to that month. And that they would be showcasing AGS capabilities in order to grab new devs.

m0ds

Nope not really, though it has often happened where the release and the pick have happened close together (just the way people play some of the newer games more than the older ones I guess...) So this is basically just a request for contribution to one of the site's actual features, top of the page here - http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/ :) Your chance to be credited for a Pick of the Month! If it's a good one of course ;)

miguel

Yes, because it happens frequently I assumed it was that way.

CaptainD

Quote from: miguel on Fri 13/09/2013 11:41:16
I thought that pick of the month was about games made in the month

Me too!

Will try to find an older under-appreciated title to give some love to.

miguel

Captain, if you were thinking about picking one of my games then go ahead!

m0ds

Preferably make a pick without outside influence ;)

miguel

No people that I've worked with...check!
No friends...check!
Got it!

Adeel

Quote from: Mods on Fri 13/09/2013 10:59:13
As you know, sometimes we manage to choose and feature a pick of the month, and try and do this monthly. But it's not always possible. [...]

A question: Was only AGS Rating Panel allowed to choose Pick of the Month, previously?

Babar

There was a pick of the month long before there was a ratings panel, so I don't think so. Handling of it seemed to pass around a lot even before.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

m0ds

That's right, single members did it for long periods before, then the ratings panel started adding to it once the functionality of the site switched over to AGA, and now the community can. There's no reason not to, providing people make some half decent picks!! :D

We really need to do a drive for some new panel raters soon too, cos people get busy...

kaput

I'll be a panel rater. I'm so impartial I'm not even here. Just a wee figment of your imaginations.

m0ds

Well, we'll discuss that in its own thread in due course, so you can not exist there then if you want ;)

Ponch

At last! Oceanspirit Dennis' moment has arrived!

Adeel

Quote from: Babar on Fri 13/09/2013 14:00:30
There was a pick of the month long before there was a ratings panel, so I don't think so. Handling of it seemed to pass around a lot even before.
Quote from: Mods on Fri 13/09/2013 14:15:02
That's right, single members did it for long periods before, then the ratings panel started adding to it once the functionality of the site switched over to AGA, and now the community can. There's no reason not to, providing people make some half decent picks!! :D [...]

Thanks for the answers, Babar and Mods :).

@Mods: I'll not disappoint you with my pick (or at least I like to pretend so! (laugh))

Ancient Alien is the game which I'm considering to put forward. But then, there are some games which I had started to play and remain to be completed. I'll submit my entry for consideration after completing those games :).

Quote from: Mods on Fri 13/09/2013 14:15:02
[...] We really need to do a drive for some new panel raters soon too, cos people get busy...

You're right. I've seen many games in the database which were released more than one year ago and still they are not rated by AGS Panel. I also found a special case where a demo was rated for players, won the best demo of year award but it still wasn't rated by the panel. Yes, I'm talking about CaptainD's demo game here.

I would like to join the AGS Ratings Panel as I've quite a free time on my hand, after all, what else you can expect from a college student ;)? Too bad, I joined the forums only 5 months ago :~(.

CaptainD

Adeel - thanks for the mention mate, but I'm pretty sure demos don't get rated by the panel at all, just full games?

LimpingFish

That's right. No demos get rated.

As to potential panel members, the process usually begins with moderators and existing panelists contacting those members who they feel would be suitable for the job. If you approached, it's because you have proven yourself reliable, level-headed, and a positive contributor to the community.

There is no truth to the rumor that panelists are chosen by competing in inter-species gladiatorial contests...yet. ¬¬
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Adeel

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 13/09/2013 19:13:02
Adeel - thanks for the mention mate, but I'm pretty sure demos don't get rated by the panel at all, just full games?

To be honest, I were 50-50 about demos being rated. I even checked the Rating Panel Information Thread and there was no mention of Demos not being rated.

I've a feeling that I had read somewhere that demos are not rated by the panel but at the moment, I can't recall where I had read that.

Sorry for that.

Thanks for clarifying guys..! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk